• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom ASOIAF/Game of Thrones

Hypnos

L'Empereur
Is anyone interested in a Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplay? I was thinking that it would be set during the reign of a Targaryen king (Real or otherwise) and that players would take the roles as citizen's and occupants of the city of King's Landing, I.E. you could be a peasant, a merchant, a visiting lord, a soldier, a member of the city watch or even a member of the small council.

I would think it would be based around just King's Landing so that there is more interaction but I would be fine basing it around all of Westeros. Any takers

@drummerboi OK, is their any particular time period you'd want the RP to set in (I.E. What king would you want on the Iron Throne) or would you prefer a separate timeline altogether where we just pick a custom king?

Hypnos said:
@WanderingJester What kind of details are you after?
Are you just ignoring the history of Westeros if you're going with a custom King? I'm still unsure of the time period this will take place in (before, during or after the books?). You wrote that you would like everyone to be in King's Landing for increased interaction, but can be flexible to have events occurring around Westeros in its entirety, have you decided which to go with? What if someone wants to control one of the major houses in the Seven Kingdom? Would that be possible?

@WanderingJester

1, If I go with a custom king (It depends on what is the most popular amongst players) then I'd imagine that he'd take the place of an existing Targaryen king in the family for example, the new guys could replace Aenys I as Aegon I's son or any other Targ king, personally I want to leave as much of the setting to what is popular amongst other people so we can have as many people willing to participate as possible. This means that the RP would be set before the books.

2, Personally as I have said I'd prefer just King's Landing and that's probably what I'm going to go with, however should someone want to play one of the major houses that is perfectly fine, there is always reasons for people to be in the capitol, even Lords Paramount. I would say for example if someone wanted to play an LP then they should join the Small council (Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Tywin Lannister were all part of the council despite being LP's) and if they just want to be a member of that house then they could be a member of the Kingsguard (Jaime Lannister and Raymont Baratheon) or the City Watch (Daemon Targaryen)

Hypnos said:
@WanderingJester
1, If I go with a custom king (It depends on what is the most popular amongst players) then I'd imagine that he'd take the place of an existing Targaryen king in the family for example, the new guys could replace Aenys I as Aegon I's son or any other Targ king, personally I want to leave as much of the setting to what is popular amongst other people so we can have as many people willing to participate as possible. This means that the RP would be set before the books.

2, Personally as I have said I'd prefer just King's Landing and that's probably what I'm going to go with, however should someone want to play one of the major houses that is perfectly fine, there is always reasons for people to be in the capitol, even Lords Paramount. I would say for example if someone wanted to play an LP then they should join the Small council (Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Tywin Lannister were all part of the council despite being LP's) and if they just want to be a member of that house then they could be a member of the Kingsguard (Jaime Lannister and Raymont Baratheon) or the City Watch (Daemon Targaryen)
Huh, fair enough. I don't think I'm that interested in an RP set before the events of the books though, so I'll have to pass for now. Thanks though.

Hypnos said:
@WanderingJester OK, fair enough but out of curiosity why not? Is there any particular reason you'd prefer something set after the events of the series?
More freedom (to me) and what seems to be the impact of choice in regards to the characters. Even if my character managed to do accomplish everything he/she wants to do (or fails terribly at them) Robert's Rebellion is still going to happen, Stark's sister still gets kidnapped and dies, House Stark gets decimated in the War of the Five Kings, Tywin Lannister still gets shot on the toilet, Jon Arryn still gets poisoned to death, etc. I'll like to think the choices made by my character(s) would have a lasting impact to change what comes after them, not bound by the events that happened in canon and such.

@WanderingJester But surely since this is an RP it would be considered an alternate timeline so none of that stuff would have to happen, even if it was set right up in the reign of Aerys II the rebellion wouldn't necessarily have to happen unless whoever was playing Bobby B wanted it to and even then it is unlikely things would transpire in the same way.

The thing is I am not opposed to setting it after the series, in fact it could be rather cool but if it were then I'd have to decide upon an ending, an ending which not matter what it is would make some fan unhappy (As you can see from my profile pic I am a staunch supporter of the Mannis though I'd imagine not many other people would agree to him winning the throne)

Hypnos said:
@WanderingJester But surely since this is an RP it would be considered an alternate timeline so none of that stuff would have to happen, even if it was set right up in the reign of Aerys II the rebellion wouldn't necessarily have to happen unless whoever was playing Bobby B wanted it to and even then it is unlikely things would transpire in the same way.
The thing is I am not opposed to setting it after the series, in fact it could be rather cool but if it were then I'd have to decide upon an ending, an ending which not matter what it is would make some fan unhappy (As you can see from my profile pic I am a staunch supporter of the Mannis though I'd imagine not many other people would agree to him winning the throne)
Ah see, did know this was an AU. I supposed then my only objection would be wanting to incorporate OCs into major roles instead of RPing characters that George R.R. Martin made (as opposed to playing characters that I made in Martin's world, etc). Of course that's just speaking from a guy that wants to play as a major house lol. The way I've seen and admire how other GMs circumvent an unfair ending or an unhappy one (though honestly, it's ASoIaF, you really expect a happy ending?) was that they would close out the ongoing story line now in the books or tv series and then fast forward a century or so so that everyone has more or less an equal playing field (though reputation and starting resources would differ depending on your character and location).

Here's a link to something that died before it started that I was really looking forward to, if you want a reference to what I'm talking about:

A Game Of Thrones: 100 Years Later

If you want, then let Stannis win. Hell, as unlikely as it might be, let one of his kids or grand kids rule by the time the RP starts. I don't really see a problem with people being pissed so long as you don't wipe out a major house to extinction and keep things as open ended in terms of options for players to jump into, as well as not god mode a faction or character or something.

@WanderingJester Yeah, I can see that working, I like the idea of setting it a couple of generations in the future an I'll always be behind a scenario in which the one true king takes back the throne. My only concern would be that I'd have to do a bit of tweaking to make sure that the houses people know and love are still around (Tully, Stark and Arryn's chance of surviving much longer in the series seem a bit small at the moment) But this is definitely a better idea than just an alt timeline.

Hypnos said:
@WanderingJester Yeah, I can see that working, I like the idea of setting it a couple of generations in the future an I'll always be behind a scenario in which the one true king takes back the throne. My only concern would be that I'd have to do a bit of tweaking to make sure that the houses people know and love are still around (Tully, Stark and Arryn's chance of surviving much longer in the series seem a bit small at the moment) But this is definitely a better idea than just an alt timeline.
So long as there's a virile male still baring the name of Tully, Stark and Arryn (Edward, Rickon and Robert, respectively) the family should continue to live, which I mean you'll probably have to do some deus ex machina to keep them alive but worse things have happened before. I supposed in regards to the "One True King" who you're talking about, which sounds very tempting for another civil war to break out in Westeros again *rubs hands with gleeful anticipation.* If you roll with this idea, feel free to tag me as well. I'll be more than interested in doing it.

I see a potential in all time periods depending on how it is set up, my preference is that nobody plays a character already well established in the books/show because it feels uncreative and someone could completely ruin a character I've come to love, though they could be mentioned or have a brief cameo. The 100 years after sort of thing sounds promising but as for an alternative timeline I got an idea. A group of people are working together to assassinate the Mad King Aeres and problems and conflicts ensure, sort of similar to Inglorious Bastards. My name for that is "A Court of Spiders" in reference to Varys' nickname.

@HawkBlood I like it. The thing is I can't see why we can't incorporate both ideas, an attempted assassination can still work well in a future setting and it would mean that people could still play as members of their favourite houses without having to stick to GRRM's characters. Infact a Baratheon king on the throne could give the plot motive what with many people still being hidden Targaryen supporters, also I'm probably going to steal that name :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back