TV & Film Asian historical dramas

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Recently I watched Nirvana in Fire and I can't seem to find anything else to watch that would interest me nearly enough so I'm looking for some recommendations.

I would prefer something based on actual history, like The Qin Empire for example, really liked that series. But I'd take fantasy recommendations too.

Aside from that, can just chat about your favourite Asian historical dramas, there are clearly way more of them than I watched so I'm eager to discover new titles.

Last edited:
I am watching something called... what is it? The Rise of the Phoenixes on Netflix. It’s in Chinese, not sure if it is Cantonese or Mandarin but has English subtitles. I like it though the first episode is confusing.

:D I'm excited to meet another Nirvana in Fire fan. Have you seen the sequel?
If you're looking for other interesting dramas to watch, I've heard good things about Story of Yanxi Palace (MC breaks a lot of palace harem drama tropes). For fantasy, Ashes of Love seems to be popular among a Chinese audience. I personally think the costuming and casting for the drama is stellar, but I didn't like the MC at all, so the prospect of a love triangle centered around her was kind of ehh... But if you're looking for something similar in vibe to Nirvana in Fire, I would recommend giving The Young Warriors a try. It's based off of existing folklore on the exploits of the Yang clan, a historical military family who served around the early Song dynasty. (Also Hu Ge also plays as an MC in this drama, so you get to see him again lol)

Ice Fantasy is good though Netflix only has the first season. Not sure if it counts as a historical drama though but it's good. Also in some chinese language with English subtitles though not sure the language.

Last edited:
I'm excited to meet another Nirvana in Fire fan. Have you seen the sequel?
Yay! More NiF fans! :hearteyes:
No, I haven't watched the sequel yet but I'm planning to. I heard it's also good even though first series is better.
I'm just not over NiF yet lol it was probably best series I've watched in a while.

Thanks for suggestions everyone! I'll surely check them out!

I am amazed that the Three Kingdoms series has not been mentioned yet.

You might want to look into The Secret of the Three Kingdoms. It's based on the titular Three Kingdoms saga but focuses on the twin prince who was raised outside of the royal palace.

Disclaimer: I didn't watch this myself but my mom thoroughly enjoyed it.

As mentioned, I think the 2010 Three Kingdoms series is just well done. Especially Cao Cao. Cao Cao is awesome. Never liked Liu Bei in anything, so him being so wooden and robotic never bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back