• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Ashfall [brookswho]

Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Wosten Urbzone Map

Hendrik's Inventory

-Peaked cap, ValaraCo Security uniform, utility belt [Worn]
-Expandable baton [Utility belt]
-Spray 'n Pray Capsicum Spray [Utility belt]
-ValaraCo radio [Utility belt]
-Flashlight [Utility belt]
-Handcuffs [Utility belt]
-ValaraCola Scuttle[Utility belt]
-Your Citizen ID [Pocket]
-Your ValaraCo ID [Pocket]
-Your Ration Card [Pocket]
-Your Metro Pass [Pocket]
-$25.00 certs [Pocket]

IC below
Ashfall
Restoration Day celebrations have been starting to wind down in the Wosten Urbzone. Turnout at the speeches and parades was disappointingly low, although the regularly-scheduled holiday remains in effect.

Despite most people having the day off, you are still on duty as a ValaraCo security officer, tasked with protecting the company's General Activities Office in the Concord Quadrant, where you commute to from your residence in Havell Quaddrant. You have a Metro Pass, which allows you to freely use the city's speedrail system.

You are currently wearing basic ValaraCo Security apparel, which consists of a peaked cap, and a red and black uniform fitted with identifying shoulder patches. You have a utility belt that contains various items, including (in a special pouch) your complimentary bottle of ValaraCola that is received each day upon checking into work as a thanks for your service.

You are currently on the ground floor, near the lobby. You are currently tasked with guarding the stairwell that leads up the second floor, which is restricted to employees and guests with written permission only. Nearby, the receptionist lady is sitting behind the front counter, idly typing her computer. There isn't much going on right now; you're expected to just stand there and listen to the droning lobby music.

SOF-by-J-Mayer-H-Architects-07.jpg

Last edited:
Another boring day on the job. Hendrik went into security expecting a little more action in his life, but quickly found that not to be true. There were the few days where an incident would happen that required him to step up and use a little force, but those days were rare. Hendrik knew that if he was sitting down, he would likely fall asleep listening to the jazzy lobby music. Sometimes, he would almost fall asleep standing up. Anytime someone of importance passed by, he made sure to stand tall and appear alert, but as soon as they were out of sight, he would go back to being relaxed.

Since everything was so quiet and the lobby was practically empty, Hendrik decided to take out his radio and check up on how the other poor bastards working during the holiday were doing.

"I'm going to guess things are just as boring on your side as they are on mine. How are you guys passing the time?"

"Not much happening here," one voice replies from the radio. It's the voice of Malton, another security officer who holds the same rank as you. "I'm just counting the cars that drive past."

An annoyed voice follows afterward.
"Radio silence." It's the shift supervisor, Keller. He tends not to like it when ValaraCo guards engaged in "non-essential communications" using the company's property.
duGcEVd.png

Some time passes, and a few people come and go from the office. Though, things get slightly more interesting when you see three individuals (one woman and two men) stumble in from the main doors. They are wearing orange jackets, berets and bright armbands. They briefly talk with the receptionist before moving over towards you. As they get closer, you can see that they are quite young, and a bit tipsy. They are all wearing pins bearing the mark of the Stalwart League, an Autumn Party loyalist organization.

"Hey, buddy... Goin' upstairs," the shorter of the male loyalists tells you. "Uh, I know a guy," he quickly adds.

One needs a ValaraCo ID to pass; the fact that he didn't immediately show it suggests he does not have one.

As soon as the orange wearing individuals entered the building, Hendrik knew something wasn't right. He eyed them as they spoke with the receptionist, looking to see if he could spot anything in their pockets that could prove harmful. Every bad possibility ran through his head all at once, which was due to instinct, and for the fact that he was bored and this was the most interesting thing that had happened all day. When he saw them head his way and towards the stairs, he couldn't help but flash a grin. The Stalwart League, loyalist scum. Hendrik knew this was going to be fun. He reattached his radio to his belt and stepped directly in front of the stairwell, blocking off any opportunity of the three to pass him.

"Since you three fine individuals did not show me the necessary credentials to access the upper floor, I'm afraid this is as far as you're going to get. Now... I wonder what you three kids want that's up there."

The loyalist's face contorts into a snarl as you deny him and his friends access- he almost may have not liked the grin you showed him. You hear the loyalist's companions snort and giggle. The other man has his arm around the female loyalist, and they're both swaying a bit. Booze is heavy on their breaths. You heard that the drinks given to loyalists on Restoration Day were very watered down, so the trio must have drank an excessive amount if they're somehow this intoxicated. The Autumn Party does not approve of drinking or smoking; you wouldn't be surprised if they eventually banned it entirely.

"Listen fucker, Davin Valara is my dad," he says, beginning to raise his voice. Davin Valara is the esteemed CEO of ValaraCo, and he lives on the mainland, not on Dominion. The shorter loyalist's claim is rather dubious.

Last edited:
Hendrik removed the grin from his face, replacing it with a more serious and intimidating look. He didn't like the response the kid gave him, nor the attitude. Was this kid's father really the CEO? Unlikely, but Hendrik wanted to get a second opinion on the matter. Before that, he had to make his response to the kids.

"Oh great, a name drop. Now, listen to me whiffet, if you're going to make a claim such as that, you're going to have to back it up. I'm here working my job while you kids have run around and gotten yourselves drunk. If you really are the son of Mr. Valara, then you would know the rules and procedures that must be followed in order to access the upper floors. Now if you would excuse me."

Hendrik removed the radio from his belt to contact his supervisor. While he did this, he placed his hand over his mouth and spoke softly so that the three individuals could not hear what he was saying.

"Keller, some asshole kid just came in claiming to be the son of Davin Valara and wants access to the second floor without the proper identification. I've denied him access and he's starting to get aggressive. Him and his two friends are clearly intoxicated. I'm just contacting you for a second opinion and just in case this gets ugly."

"Make him leave," Keller replies amid a distorted chuckle. "Use his force if he does anything. I'll send Malton down if you need any assistance."
duGcEVd.png

"Fuck you, man. Bet you're a mutie- one with no dick. Fuck you, asshole. I'll get you deported to the OSD." The annoyed loyalist's eyes flick down your utility belt, where your scuttle of ValaraCola rests in the bottle holder. "Give me that cola," he demands. "That's my dad's cola." His friends begin to chortle idiotically, almost having a hard time standing up due to a combination of their violent laughter and their heavy drunkenness.

Hendrik lowered his radio and reattached it to his belt. There was one of those feelings that stuck with him when he knew something wasn't going to go the easy way. He doubted that this kid would just up and leave if he told him to. So, he decided to further play with the kid to try and... well, it was really for Hendrik's enjoyment. When was something this interesting going to happen again? He had to make the most of it.

"Oh, you want this?" He motioned towards the bottle, even taking it out of the bottle holder and holding it up to inspect it. "ValaraCola... one of the most popular beverages around. And with good reason too. The way it fizzes when you open it. The way it sparkles when you start to drink it. And best of all, that delicious spicy cola flavor." He reached his arm out, as if to give the bottle to the kid, but made sure to keep his arm at a distance to where he could snatch it back if the kid went for it. As soon as the kid made any motion towards the bottle, Hendrik snatched it back and pushed it back into the bottle holder. If the kid continued to move towards the bottle, Hendrik would side step him and trip him.

"Aww... too slow. Now, I'll allow you to save yourself from further humiliation. Get the fuck out of here. Now." Hendrik pointed towards the entrance with one arm and gently rested the other on his baton.

Things generally go as you expect them to. Perhaps the annoying loyalist just wanted to extort something from you, at first. But as you describe the scuttle of cola in detail, it seems to pique his interest further. He reaches out to grab it, but you move your arm away and put it back onto your belt. "Fuckin' bitch," he snarls, attempting to go for it again, but you simply step aside and trip him. Due to the loyalist's inebriated state, it isn't hard to do. He collapses onto the ground as his friends laugh at him. As he continues to spit and curse at you, the other two loyalists drag him to his feet and begin to make their way towards the exit.

Keller's voice emits from your radio again. "Make sure they're gone," he says. "When that's over with, it's your turn to keep an eye on the parking lot, Starr. Get on it."

duGcEVd.png

As soon as the kid hit the floor and his friends started helping him up, Hendrik started shooing them off. He watched them walk towards the exit in which he was pointing at. At this time, he received the message from Keller that he needed to make sure that they were gone, and that he would need to take over the parking lot job. He made a simple response to Keller, "On it." He marched behind the kids before they were even out the door, keeping a distance of about twenty feet from them. If they turned around to look at him, he would just point his arm to suggest them to keep moving.

Once out the door, he would stand at the entrance and keep his eyes on the kids to make sure that they were doing as they were told. During this time, he eyed the parking lot to see what it looked like at the moment, and to see if he could spot the guy that he was relieving of parking lot duty.

The trio of Stalwart League juniors piss off, and you ensure that they are outside of the building and heading down the street. As you walk outside, you can see Officer Mench heading indoors to take some other post. He nods to you as he walks past.

The parking lot is mostly empty, as is to be expected in a city where relatively few people own cars. A few of the employee-only spaces are filled with the easily-recognizable vehicles belonging to ValaraCo employees, and there is one other car that has a visitors' permit displayed in the window.

The street's PA system crackles to life, and the monotonic voice of an Autumn Party propagandist is heard amid some patriotic music playing in the background.

"COUNTRYMEN OF SANCTA, THERE IS NO LOYALTY WITHOUT ACTION. DO NOT ABDICATE YOUR CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY, REPORT ALL SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY AND SEDITIOUS TALK."

As the voice drones on, you can see a military hovercraft fly far overhead, probably heading to the Defence Precinct.

Hendrik returned a nod to his fellow officer before walking towards the barren parking lot. For the most part, the only vehicles in the lot were the employee cars. There was one visitor car in the lot that caught Hendrik's attention, but it had the mandatory visitor's pass, so there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it being there. Without warning, the PA system activated and begun playing Autumn Party propaganda. Hendrik couldn't help but curl his nose from hearing the distasteful words promoting a society without freedom. I cannot wait for the day when the Autumn Party loses momentum. Something has to happen. Something needs to challenge their rule... Hell, I wouldn't mind an entire collapse of state to happen. Move off to some other place and start up something similar to what we had with the New Guard.

Hendrik's daydream was broken off by the invasive sound of one of the military's toys flying overhead, as if the Autumn Party was listening to his thoughts and giving him a reminder that they had the power to quench any rebellious idea. He found the sight ironic and couldn't help but release a disparaging chuckle in an attempt to blow it off as nothing. I've lived among these bastards for ten years now. There is no way in hell that they know who I once was. They can't read minds, either. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

Hendrik continued to stroll around the lot, never really staying in one place. It was good to give his legs the satisfaction of movement after standing still for so long within the ValaraCo building.

The next hour or so is quite uneventful. You see the receptionist walk outside to smoke a cigarette at one point, although she doesn't stop to talk to you. Later on, another employee car pulls in. It parks in a space next to the others. Most of the cars are of the same make and colour, bearing ValaraCo's red and black.

There is a mechanical grind as you see a large, treaded beast make its way around the street corner. As it comes into view, you can see that it is a mobile antiaircraft gun. They are a common sight in the city, as there is a risk of Moorean air raids. As it lurches forward, you can see several accompanying infantry soldiers walking alongside it.

There are no pedestrians, aside from a man that you can see some distance down the sidewalk. He wears a long brown coat, carries a black handbag, and appears spectacled. He briefly glances in your direction, before looking at the approaching tank.

2OXGibV.png

When he heard the rumbling of an approaching behemoth, Hendrik's heart skipped a beat. He had been daydreaming again, of rebellion, of a nation that allowed freedom to its population. His daydream at the point when the tank rounded the corner consisted of a battle against Autumn Party forces, so when he saw the thing really round the corner, it stunned him. He quickly came back to reality and began inspecting the infantrymen and their loadouts, comparing them to the equipment used ten years ago. Have they improved any since then?

He caught something in the corner of his eye. It was a brown dot at first, but when he turned to look at what it was, he realized that it was a man apparently eyeing the small group of Autumn Party forces. He noticed that the man made note of him. Looking at the bag that he was carrying, Hendrik began his possibility game again. So what's it going to be, bub? A bomb, a gun, or are you simply carrying "normal" things? Or is the bag completely irrelevant? Are you the spotter for your friends that are planning to take out that tank? Or are you actually just a normal pedestrian? Damn... the things I think about for entertainment.

He begun looking around him for cover just in case his crazy probabilities actually came true.

You inspect the soldiers' equipment as the patrol gets closer, including their guns. The military's equipment hasn't improved much in the last decade, as you still see a few of the older-model carbines and submachine guns in the hands of these patrolmen, mixed in with standard assault rifles. Though, as these are not front-line troops, it may serve as an explanation why they are not as well equipped.

The mobile antiaircraft gun rolls closer, and closer. Then it explodes.

57f6216cad937157997290a7.png

The explosion rips through the street. You're licked by the harsh heat, and can feel it singe the hairs off of your skin. You're knocked on your ass, becoming disoriented. Thankfully, you don't appear to be injured. As your eyes refocus, you can see most of the soldiers splattered across the street, torn apart by the blast. A trooper staggers away from the flaming wreck, her helmet lopsided as her automatic rifle dangles loosely from her shoulder. Blood stains her uniform, and shrapnel pokes out of her torso and belly.

You briefly notice the man from down the street turn, before disappearing down a nearby alleyway. You could have sworn he wasn't running- just walking casually.

Last edited:
Hitting the ground with ringing ears, Hendrik just sat there for a brief moment, not entirely aware that a real explosion just knocked him down there. When he finally came back to, he pushed his hands against the concrete to help himself up. He looked up and what he saw dropped his jaw. "Holy fucking shit!" he blurted. The horrific sight of disembodied soldiers littered the street, the antiaircraft gun still burning. It appeared that one soldier was still at least somewhat alive, wobbling around with shrapnel impaled within her. He then looked back at the brown coated man, noticing that he casually walked into an alleyway. Looks like I was right about that guy. There is no doubt. He must have done this... but how?

Hendrik felt his legs moving under him, first at a walk, then at a light jog. He was moving towards the alleyway in which the man had vanished. He looked over at the wounded soldier again, but thought better of trying to help her. For one, he would be questioned and possibly be brought in as a suspect if he was found at the scene of the crime. Secondly, he could care less to what happened to soldiers fighting under the Autumn Party. And so he kept on moving, until he made it to the alleyway. He looked back to make sure that no one was watching him, and to see if anybody had come out of ValaraCo to see what the loud boom was. He then tiptoed his way into the alleyway, trying to see if he could find that man.

After you recover from the explosion, you manage to get back up onto your feet, quickly pursuing the strange man. You make it to the alley where he turned into, and upon looking over your shoulder, you see that the receptionist has walked outside, seemingly mortified at the gory sight. However, she does not appear to have noticed your absence, putting you in the clear.

In response to the large explosion, automated sirens begin to blare across the block. The PA system turns on once again.

"ATTENTION, A CRISIS CODE IS IN EFFECT. ALL CIVILIANS MUST REMAIN INDOORS."

Ahead, you can see the strange man making a turn to the left, heading down another path. He doesn't appear to have noticed you yet, and is still walking at the same pace.

jWalrvv.png

Hendrik sighed in relief when he saw that the receptionist, or anyone else for that matter, hadn't noticed that he had left his post. He started thinking of what kind of excuse he could give if it happened that he was caught, or if they did notice his absence. He concluded that he could say that he chased the perpetrator, which wasn't entirely false. He was caught off guard when the sirens started blaring, not that they were a threat to him, but because they were an annoyance. And just in sight, Hendrik spotted the brown coated man rounding yet another corner at the same speed in which he had been walking this entire time. What the hell? This guy is acting like nothing even happened.

Hendrik begun walking faster than the man to attempt to catch up, or at least see where he was going. He did try to stay quiet, but made no attempts to tip toe or hide behind any cover. I must know why... and how. Hendrik would briefly stop after rounding the corner to accustom himself to the scenery and see where the man was.

You pick up the pace, turning the corner and gradually advancing on the strange man, who appears to be making his way towards the street. However, a Constabulary officer suddenly materializes out from a side doorway ahead, brandishing a police pick at the two of you. "Halt! Both of you, get inside!" he hollers as the block sirens continue to scream. He kicks the doorstop into place, and gestures you and the man to enter the building he had just exited from. Despite your ValaraCo security uniform, you do not appear to be an exception to the Crisis Code. The strange man with the handbag blinks, before glancing over his shoulder. Remaining silent for a moment as he stares quizzically at you, he then nods to the officer and steps inside the building.

J3pHE0h.png

Last edited:
Hendrik was too focused on the strange man to notice the constabulary officer form out of one of the doorways. Staring at the back of the man, he continued to wonder how the guy had destroyed the squad of military personnel so effortlessly. It wasn't until the officer shouted that Hendrik realized there were more than just the two of them in the alley. The officer issued the command to go inside, and Hendrik glanced at the officer. Shit. This just might turn into a sticky little situation unless it plays through okay. Hendrik was able to get a good look at the strange man's face when he turned around; he even made eye contact with the man and couldn't help but crack a small grin from guessing that this was the first time the guy noticed he was being followed. Hendrik looked back to the officer, nodded, and fell in behind the strange man as they entered the building.

After ensuring that the two of you have taken shelter inside of the building, the officer removes the doorstop, allowing it to swing shut behind him as he jogs towards the site of the explosion. You find yourself on the bottom floor of what appears to be one of Concord's apartment buildings.

The man straightens his tie, and then gazes over at you. "You followed me," he remarks. He sounds a bit apprehensive about the situation... but the fact that you did not immediately report him to the constable may have put him at ease, at least a little bit. He seems slightly curious about you.

TvWEtpF.png

Hendrik felt more relaxed once the officer had taken off to the explosion site, leaving the two of them there in what appeared to be an apartment building. He took a few steps, inspecting his surroundings. Part of him thought that the officer was going to interrogate them about the situation, but seeing as how he had run off without mentioning it, it was unlikely. Though, the officer might return to interrogate him later upon the discovery that he was working security where the incident took place. Glancing over to the strange man, Hendrik was inquisitive to learn about him and how he was able to destroy the squad of military personnel.

Hendrik looked the man in the eyes and said only one word, "how?"

"Proper planning and equipment," the man says, supplying a simple answer. A staticky voice muffles from somewhere inside his coat, prompting him to adjust what appears to be an earpiece. He glances down the hallway before looking back over to you. "I'm running short on time," he says, tightening his grip on his suitcase as he stuffs the earpiece back down to conceal it inside his clothing. "You can follow me, but it will soil your public profile," he says as he looks up and down at your ValaraCo security uniform, scrutinizing your nametag. "It will be easier for us to come to you, Starr," he says.

Hendrik nodded in response to the man, showing his understanding. He chose to stay behind and let them come to him, if that was the man's intentions. He had so many more questions he wanted to ask, but due to the man's lack of time, it didn't seem possible to get them answered. He had a hard time thinking of what to say due to the apparent rush, so he couldn't even get out one of the questions he had been meaning to ask. Hendrik decided to scratch everything from mind and ask one single thing, "When will you come?" To add to that, "Like, a week, two weeks, a month, or even longer?"

As soon as he would receive the response, he would walk over to lean against the wall, where he would wait until the security sirens dissipate.

Some time passes before the sirens slow down and come to a stop. Whether you or not you return home or head back to the ValaraCo Activities Office, you are eventually approached by a man in a dark orange uniform and Autumn leaf-christened peaked cap. He stands tall in black leather jackboots, and appears to have a rail pistol kept in a special holster on his chest. This man isn't a regular constable; he's clearly part of the Watchmen, the Autumn Party's death squads and secret police. This officer appears to be some kind of special investigator.

The Watchman keeps his black-gloved hands folded in front of him while he speaks. "Greetings, countryman," he says, sounding rather expressionless as he speaks, just like his face. "I am with the Intendancy of State Security. We have been told you were present outside of your workplace when an attack was committed earlier today on our country's armed forces. We would like to bring you in for questioning about this event."

There is a police car parked nearby, the one he drove up in. It looks similar to a cruiser used by the standard Constabulary, but the color scheme is slightly different, and instead contains the emblem of StaSec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back