• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern | αΩ | Alpha & Omega - Surviving the end of the world [CANCELED]

OverconfidentMagi

Laugh Like You've Won Always
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Setting:
The story is set in the near future, only a handful of years to allow for some extra creative freedom and all that, no flying cars or the like. The summary of things isn't too complicated. A strange being shows up in Shanghai, couple hours later there is no more Shanghai, being disappears. Rinse and repeat in random populated locations all over the world over a period of years. That being comes to be known as Omega. Alpha started appearing shortly after Omega, though it's hard to say exactly when due to Omega's appearance being so destructive, always in the wake of Omega's destruction. Omega killed countless people wherever he appeared, but it was possible to still survive unharmed with enough preparation or dumb luck. Alpha's appearance is what killed almost all of those survivors. And the ones that were somehow still alive after both Omega and Alpha were done weren't quite the same.​

Powers:
The few survivors exhibit unnatural and impossible abilities, but these aren't quite the superpowers of heroes in comic books. In most cases they are considered something of a curse, some of the survivors using the term 'price' to describe their ability, as in the price they paid to live. The abilities of the survivors are not something they have any control over. They are constant, unable to be controlled and unable to be turned off. More often than not, not even the survivor themselves is safe from their own ability. It's theorized that the remarkable casualty rate resulting from Alpha's appearance is mostly due to abilities granted killing the host, making the survivors the few with much weaker or less destructive abilities, those terms being rather relative, all things considered.​

Characters:

Characters will be those who survived Omega appearing in either New York City or Philadelphia. They are recovered from the rubble and transported to a large underground facility somewhere in Pennsylvania, where they are contained and studied by an organization called Pandora. The survivors of the New York incident have been in the facility for quite a while already, a year now, but the Philadelphia survivors will be coming in fresh following Omega's appearance there at the start of the RP. Act 1 of this story is set in the Pandora facility interacting with each other, the Pandora scientists, and coming to terms with both your new ability and the fact that everyone and everything you knew is now dead and destroyed. For unknown reasons, the majority of survivors found are young, children and low teens mostly, though there are outliers. If you wish to make a character that isn't one of the survivors just let me know, I may be willing to okay it.​
Story:

As I said, Act 1 will be set inside the Pandora Pennsylvania Location. If you're looking for action and flashy superpower fights, I doubt you will find this part very enjoyable. Ideally I'd like to have an even showing of the characters acting like normal people that just have to deal with their abilities, and the reality of the scientists treating them like hazardous materials that need to be studied and learned about. So plenty of interaction, very little action action. The planned closing end of Act 1 would involve the player characters leaving Pandora's control to escape out into the larger world, where they will have to deal with a world very changed by the arrival of Alpha and Omega and the survivors with impossible powers. Everything from there on really depends on how the player characters act and how the other moving pieces of the world react to those actions, which is another way of me saying that there's no way of knowing what happens beyond the rather rigid Act 1.​
Expectations:

This will be a detailed RP, so I expect relatively good grammar and higher quality posts. I won't put any hard size requirement for posts, as that tends not to go as well as people hope. A single paragraph that moves the story forward is better than a novella that says nothing. I want you to write a character, not a power. Don't put what you want to happen, put what the character would do. Once enough interest is shown to get this started, I will ask for a writing sample to get a feel for how you write. I'm looking for a small to mid sized group, so around 4-6, or if there is more interest I could handle up to a dozen players, though at that point I would be further dividing the characters into groups.​

If anything about this idea for a story interests you, please to say so. I will answer any most questions, and if you give me your idea for an ability I will work with you to adapt it into a form that works in this setting.

Last edited:
I am as well, it's just that I'm new to roleplaying and so expect me to only say a line, and do something, that's like two sentences

I'm interested. I have a character that would work for this.
Good to hear. If you have any questions or need help with adapting abilities feel free to let me know.

I am as well, it's just that I'm new to roleplaying and so expect me to only say a line, and do something, that's like two sentences
Two sentences will not be acceptable for this RP. I'd like for this to be a detailed RP, so slightly lengthier posts are desired.

I'll work on it, how much is considered a paragraph? at least for you?
Good to hear. If you have any questions or need help with adapting abilities feel free to let me know.

Two sentences will not be acceptable for this RP. I'd like for this to be a detailed RP, so slightly lengthier posts are desired.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi I think I just need to change a few things, but I have a character with uncontrollable ice powers. She is constantly shivering and cold to the touch. And she has to be careful around liquids or they'll freeze.

I'll work on it, how much is considered a paragraph? at least for you?
However long it takes to describe what needs to be described. That can be a few sentences or a full screen. If you're not sure if you'll be able to provide detailed enough posts, feel free to hang around and wait to see the first few writing samples or posts to make a decision. I'll be using them to make sure everyone is able to write well enough to add to and move forward the story without low quality or low effort distracting from what's being said.

I think I just need to change a few things, but I have a character with uncontrollable ice powers. She is constantly shivering and cold to the touch. And she has to be careful around liquids or they'll freeze.
It sounds easy enough to adapt.

Powers here will be closer to passive effects, so it wouldn't be uncontrollable as in she can lose control of it, more that she will never have control over it. The power will always act the same way regardless of her will or emotions. Cold can work, it just depends on what exactly you want the effect to be, its strength and scope, and you have to keep in mind the consequences of said effect always being active will be. For example, think about how someone whom freezes all liquid might be able to survive without being able to drink anything? Or how might a person whose body temperature is well below freezing have to alter how they interact with others? Some food for thought when mulling over your character.

Could fire work? As my character Xavier, feels like a guy that would be a fire guy. He is weak, but carries a few weapons to negate that. Can you explain to me how fire could work? Just want to know, as I want him to fit in(Or at least as much as you can fit in the end of the world) like it seems easy but I don't know man
It sounds easy enough to adapt.

Powers here will be closer to passive effects, so it wouldn't be uncontrollable as in she can lose control of it, more that she will never have control over it. The power will always act the same way regardless of her will or emotions. Cold can work, it just depends on what exactly you want the effect to be, its strength and scope, and you have to keep in mind the consequences of said effect always being active will be. For example, think about how someone whom freezes all liquid might be able to survive without being able to drink anything? Or how might a person whose body temperature is well below freezing have to alter how they interact with others? Some food for thought when mulling over your character.

Could fire work? As my character Xavier, feels like a guy that would be a fire guy. He is weak, but carries a few weapons to negate that. Can you explain to me how fire could work? Just want to know, as I want him to fit in(Or at least as much as you can fit in the end of the world) like it seems easy but I don't know man
Your character will have no weapons. In the beginning every player character will be a ward of the Pandora group, studied and monitored by their scientists. This is not a superhero story, so power level and fighting skill is not important.

Fire is much harder to fit here due to its innate destructiveness. Most abilities related to fire would result in the immediate death of the person granted said ability. Just think of any type of fire ability and then imagine it always-on and take away the owner being immune to the power. Not pretty.

If you can describe some more specific aspect of fire you're aiming for I can try and brainstorm a way it might work.

Hmm might be interested

Character idea: Someone whose immune system mutates into one for pathogen incubation in addition to body immunity. Basically, he becomes immune to disease, but becomes a carrier of any disease he comes in contact with and makes said disease in large quantity.

Your character will have no weapons. In the beginning every player character will be a ward of the Pandora group, studied and monitored by their scientists. This is not a superhero story, so power level and fighting skill is not important.

Fire is much harder to fit here due to its innate destructiveness. Most abilities related to fire would result in the immediate death of the person granted said ability. Just think of any type of fire ability and then imagine it always-on and take away the owner being immune to the power. Not pretty.

If you can describe some more specific aspect of fire you're aiming for I can try and brainstorm a way it might work.
Idk, maybe heat, and now I gotta redesign my character hold on

Hmm might be interested

Character idea: Someone whose immune system mutates into one for pathogen incubation in addition to body immunity. Basically, he becomes immune to disease, but becomes a carrier of any disease he comes in contact with and makes said disease in large quantity.
I'd warn against that power due to not leaving much possibility for interaction with other characters. Also the fact that once the scientists learn about the power he would likely be deemed too large a threat to let live. But I won't give a hard no if that's the sort of thing you want to write.

Pandora assigns every survivor a rating that goes from 1 to 5, a value representing the threat a power poses, either to its owner, those surrounding them, or the world. Players will typically range from 1 (non-dangerous, only affects self) to 2 (possibly dangerous, visibly affects surroundings). At level 3 their power poses a danger to self and/or others, and they would not typically be allowed to interact with the other survivors within Pandora. Beyond that are ranks 4 (too dangerous to let live), which are typically killed by the recovery agents on sight, and 5 (power is so volatile that it kills the owner). Its believed that most of the powers granted by Alpha are level 5, and that's why so many people die when it appears.

Housing and propagating diseases would start off rather harmless but would pose a larger risk the longer it was allowed to exist. If even a single potent disease got into his system, he could kill every single person he came into contact with. If the Pandora scientists reached that conclusion, they'd likely move him from a 3 up to a 4 and dispose of him.

interested! i feel like i’m going to definitely need some help crafting an ability, though.
Cool. Feel free to toss out ideas, and I'll do my best to spit back some forms adapted to how powers work here.

Idk, maybe heat, and now I gotta redesign my character hold on
Heat and fire... I guess I'll just put down ideas as they pop into my head.

Fire resistance
Fire absorption
Internally converting heat to energy or even matter
Igniting anything directly contacted
Igniting anything looked at
Giving off heat (internally or externally)
Altering some property of existing fire

Last edited:
i’m going to withdraw my interest. thank you! :)
No problem, see ya around.

Special gear? Special Clothes, Special Clothes, etc so I don't really care
For the most part, characters will not be able to procure specialized equipment needed to handle volatile abilities. So you will need to think about how they might go about dealing with that ability, else be stuck walking around naked with burning feet.

With control taken away, the more dangerous the ability the more dangerous it is to the host.

How does Pandora know what abilities the characters have and their extent? Do they just take it at face value or have some sort of technology that lets them know the extent of the power?

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back