Other Anyone remember AOL RP Chatrooms?

Miss Starchild

<p>

Not sure if I am really dating myself here, but did anyone else used to go to the AOL Chatrooms and frequent the Roleplay based rooms that existed (ex: Red Dragon Inn, The Forest, All Creatures Tavern). I used to spend hours in those and got to meet so many good role players. I got bummed when they kind of fizzled out and became absolutely no more.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
ProficientlyAwkward said:
AOL and MSN chat rooms were my RP primordial soup. xD Yowza. That takes me back. And everything was dial-up. o.0;
Oh gosh, dial-up. Kids these days have it so easy ;) lol I do often wish such rooms existed so I can just pop in here and there and not have to commit to a roleplay all the time.

I'm not sure if I remember AOL chat rooms but ironically I still use AIM from time to time :) Despite how ancient it is lol!

There was a chat service called BeSeen that I remember where I got my own RP experience started back in mid 2000. It was a Sonic Fan Chat Room (yeah yeah...) Lots of history there... man am I old!

SirJonithus said:
I'm not sure if I remember AOL chat rooms but ironically I still use AIM from time to time :) Despite how ancient it is lol!
There was a chat service called BeSeen that I remember where I got my own RP experience started back in mid 2000. It was a Sonic Fan Chat Room (yeah yeah...) Lots of history there... man am I old!
I started RPing roughly around 2001 in the AOL chatrooms, and I am sure you are not that much older than myself lol! I still use AIM, too, no judgement from me ;)

[QUOTE="Miss Starchild]I started RPing roughly around 2001 in the AOL chatrooms, and I am sure you are not that much older than myself lol! I still use AIM, too, no judgement from me ;)

[/QUOTE]
Here here miss! Here's to the 'old timers' of RP *cheers* :)

I RPed in the old AOL back when it was a thing. I miss those days. Youthful teen angst, passion, aggression. X__X Can't for the life of me remember my main AOL sn's or the sn's of my old friends. Wish I could remember.

Man, I miss the AOL chat rooms! Especially the role plays where were all still so young and innocent. I use to roleplay like like,
Character: *runs around screaming* RUN AWAY!!

Back then my characters were terrible on top of it. A bunch of Sue's. But then, everyone was haha. It was a massive race to Sue it up. If not for AOL chat rooms, I probably would have never gotten into roleplaying to begin with. I'll always miss you Tomo! My very first best friend online and my very first roleplay partner.

I didn't go on AOL that much but I do remember the glory days of AOL, Yahoo and other places you can go to on dail-up.

Simpler times. There was no Facebook, Youtube, Twitter or Instagram back then, there was just innocent curiosity.

[QUOTE="Miss Starchild]I started RPing roughly around 2001 in the AOL chatrooms, and I am sure you are not that much older than myself lol! I still use AIM, too, no judgement from me ;)

Here here miss! Here's to the 'old timers' of RP *cheers* :)

What we need is an Old Farts Guild.

I started RPing online around 1996-97ish, back in college.

I dont know about chat rooms, but I remember AOL IM before it had its recent "face lift" that killed it for me as an RP tool. It used to be my main RP medium because I could save chat logs locally on my comp. Now they save everything on cloud and every time I attempt to save anything locally, the whole thing crashes. Support has been no help at all. Plus I dont WANT my personal ideas saved off-comp. *is frustrated* *is done ranting, sorry*

I used aim until earlier this year when it decided to start having connection issues. I didn't really care to try and fix it because most of my friends have moved onto discord or just text so.
Sometimes I miss the old chatrooms. There is/was a browser version of aol that I use from time to time and it still has chats and all of that. The rooms are pretty empty now though. But I remember being too intimidated by the old rooms and the posts to really try and get into them. They were fun to watch though sometimes. Usually there was some big fight scene and I didn't know how to interact with any of that.

Apocalyptic Apocalyptic : The connection issues were due to the "face lift" AOL had undergone. They stopped supporting old versions of the IM and terminated all the old servers. Sadly, the new IM client has some problems the support team refuses to adress.

K Koriva Oh. I thought it was something simple like updating or something along those lines. I can hardly believe that they thought aim was relevant enough to actually do something like that though.

Apocalyptic Apocalyptic XD I know, it was hilarious. Until I found out I cant use my old IM client which still had the option to save logs locally and not send them to be saved on AOL's servers. That was annoying. And they are so proud of the new client!!

Yup, I used to have my own group I'd hang with online for hours on end. Through my dial up years to cable. So much chaos and so much insanity XD Well that was to be expected anyways from a Animaniacs Roleplay chatroom. lol. Although I first met everyone in Yahoo Groups XD Now I'm dating myself.. oy....

oh boy. AOL was the beginning of my net career and the source of deep cringe to me, i dont mind sharing either.

Alright so im about... 7 (ish) when AOL stuff is around. The age of dial ups and being unable to call anyone because the phone lines were down. Was doing light rps (back then it was ;playing pretend online; because i was a f****in scrub that didnt know what rp properly even met

So, get into a conversation with this guy. start hitting it off and hes like "lets be boyfriend/GF" so my stupid ass says okay because i dont even know what that would honestly entail. So I want to send him something because Im a sweet pile of adorableness and ask him for his adress ti sebd gun kujem a card or something, i honestly forget what.

His mom gets on and yells at me for like an hour saying that i was a stalker or something and i was trying to put impure thoughts into his head, and got called stuff like harlot.

This all went over my head but now i look back and cringe my ass off *shuffer* its one of those things my mind just wont let go

<p>

Not sure if I am really dating myself here, but did anyone else used to go to the AOL Chatrooms and frequent the Roleplay based rooms that existed (ex: Red Dragon Inn, The Forest, All Creatures Tavern). I used to spend hours in those and got to meet so many good role players. I got bummed when they kind of fizzled out and became absolutely no more.

</p>

It was in those chatrooms that a much younger version of myself learned a great deal about the world, and life. As sordid as that may sound, it also spurned a love and desire of reading and writing that has brought me here.

Those chatrooms may have seemed like the wild west (cold character openings and such), they were a lot of fun too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back