Experiences Anyone ever give LARP'ing a shot?

Darrian_Gabriel

Sicarii Assassin
So I have been aware of LARP for a good number of years now, but just have never had a chance to try it out. As an actor in real life and an experienced forum RP'er, I think LARP'ing would be a very easy fit for me. I was just curious as to how many people here have actually made the transition from forum online RP to live action. I think one of the major things holding me back is the fact of acting out a story with no audience and/or camera present, lol. Also the fact that, as of right now, I probably just don't have the balls to try something like this. I give mad props to Live Action Roleplayers, for having the mental fortitude and nerve for doing something they love.

I've always wanted to. I'm really cool, but I don't have cool friends that LARP. I tried with imaginary friends, but it doesn't seem to work out as well.

So I have been aware of LARP for a good number of years now, but just have never had a chance to try it out. As an actor in real life and an experienced forum RP'er, I think LARP'ing would be a very easy fit for me. I was just curious as to how many people here have actually made the transition from forum online RP to live action. I think one of the major things holding me back is the fact of acting out a story with no audience and/or camera present, lol. Also the fact that, as of right now, I probably just don't have the balls to try something like this. I give mad props to Live Action Roleplayers, for having the mental fortitude and nerve for doing something they love.
Ive always wanted to LARP but the closest my friends and I did was DnD with dice and acting like we were the characters. Not as fun as LARPing but I want to try it XD

I am aware of a Larping group that gathers just a few miles away from me. My issue is that I enjoy a good narrative with characters that fit the lore and the general feel of things where this group is more of a mash-up of very differently themed characters such as: historically accurate Medieval Men-at-arms, High Fantasy Elvish Blood-mages, 5'10 "Dwarves" and just about every other shade of generic, neo-steampunk-edgy-rogue-hipsters. Not bashing on those who enjoy that kind of style but it feels... out of place, to me at least.

Perhaps a themed Larp group would be the way to go for me, such as the Warhammer communities. 😂

I am aware of a Larping group that gathers just a few miles away from me. My issue is that I enjoy a good narrative with characters that fit the lore and the general feel of things where this group is more of a mash-up of very differently themed characters such as: historically accurate Medieval Men-at-arms, High Fantasy Elvish Blood-mages, 5'10 "Dwarves" and just about every other shade of generic, neo-steampunk-edgy-rogue-hipsters. Not bashing on those who enjoy that kind of style but it feels... out of place, to me at least.

Perhaps a themed Larp group would be the way to go for me, such as the Warhammer communities. 😂

I believe they do have those. I'm aware of several vampire LARPs, a few post apocalyptic ones and a large festive LARP known as Empire.

I LARP at conventions sometimes, and they're either really fun or kind of boring with no real middle ground. I haven't attended an ongoing LARP but we had an incredibly popular superhero one here in Ireland for a while, and there was a Warhammer 40k one in Dublin for a couple of years.

Vampire LARP communities tend to be incredibly toxic, which is a shame because they make for good material.

Near as I can tell, it's general cliquishness and the propensity of many nerds to turn into bullies at the earliest opportunity.

Near as I can tell, it's general cliquishness and the propensity of many nerds to turn into bullies at the earliest opportunity.

Any specific Vampire LARPs or just a generality? The reason I ask, was because I was seriously thinking about attending a Vampire The Masquerade LARP in the near future.

Masquerade and related LARPs are where I've most often seen shitty behaviour, but it's been nearly ten years since I was involved, so things might be better now.
You should give it a shot, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back