Chitchat Anyone else here a fan of Star Trek?

Winter Kakyoin

"I could've saved them... I really could've..."
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I have seen all of The Original Series, most of both The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, and all of the older and newer movies! I LOVE Star Trek!

Yes and no. I'm not like a super well-versed Trekkie person. But I most definitely like some elements of Star Trek. To bgin with, I mostly like the Klingons. TNG Klingons. I also like the Romulans, but not as much as the Klingons. I actually don't like the Federation very much. Which is weird, I know, cause that's what the series all focus on. It's kinda like how I enjoy Star Wars, but don't like the Jedi/sith. But I digress. I've seen some of the movies, as well. The old ones with Shatner and Nemoy (but I'd be lying if I said I remember much of them), at least one with Patrick Stewart (the Borg queen one), and the newer ones with Chris Pine.

I played the Star Trek MMO years ago as KDF (despite the fact that I hate MMOs) and it has (had? No idea what the state of it is anymore) a great ship combat system. But also had plenty of ground combat too. Top tier character creation options for a game that is essentially free to play (or was? again, I don't know the current state of it)

I've watched some episodes of the original series, The Next Gen, and I loved Quark from Deep Space Nine. imo, he was the best part of that series. I tried watching a little bit of Voyager, but couldn't get behind any character in particular, so it didn't hold my interest. And after the dumpster fire that was Discovery (just my opinion), I really haven't bothered keeping up on anything since.

I'm sure there's some other series in between those that I missed addressing, and it's probably because I never caught a single episode. lol

Last edited:
I have seen all of The Original Series, most of both The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, and all of the older and newer movies! I LOVE Star Trek!

I love Star Trek. Hence my handle of Trektek. I have watched ever Star Trek Series, though I am currently an episode behind on Picard.

Yes and no. I'm not like a super well-versed Trekkie person. But I most definitely like some elements of Star Trek. To bgin with, I mostly like the Klingons. TNG Klingons. I also like the Romulans, but not as much as the Klingons. I actually don't like the Federation very much. Which is weird, I know, cause that's what the series all focus on. It's kinda like how I enjoy Star Wars, but don't like the Jedi/sith. But I digress. I've seen some of the movies, as well. The old ones with Shatner and Nemoy (but I'd be lying if I said I remember much of them), at least one with Patrick Stewart (the Borg queen one), and the newer ones with Chris Pine.

Klingons are great. I've wanted to use the rules in the Star Trek TTRPG for running a Klingon Ship. But its harder to find friends in IRL that wish that. :P
I played the Star Trek MMO years ago as KDF (despite the fact that I hate MMOs) and it has (had? No idea what the state of it is anymore) a great ship combat system. But also had plenty of ground combat too. Top tier character creation options for a game that is essentially free to play (or was? again, I don't know the current state of it)

Its currently Free to Play. I come back to it every once in a while just like I do with The Old Republic MMO. Since I'm not the biggest fan of MMOs. But the stories are really good. I actually originally played back when they both cost money.
I've watched some episodes of the original series, The Next Gen, and I loved Quark from Deep Space Nine. imo, he was the best part of that series. I tried watching a little bit of Voyager, but couldn't get behind any character in particular, so it didn't hold my interest. And after the dumpster fire that was Discovery (just my opinion), I really haven't bothered keeping up on anything since.

I'm sure there's some other series in between those that I missed addressing, and it's probably because I never caught a single episode. lol
Deep Space Nine was so good at world building and showing things outside the Federation. Quark, Odo, and Garak were my absolute favorite characters on that show.

Discovery was absolute trash 1st season. 2nd Season was alright. 3rd Season was really good. 4th season was better than 2nd, but not as good as 3.

If you like Humor with good story and taking place in post DS9 era Trek, I'd say check out Lower Decks. It really gets into how the non bridge officers get along while the "Big Boys" are off on their adventures.

Klingons are great. I've wanted to use the rules in the Star Trek TTRPG for running a Klingon Ship. But its harder to find friends in IRL that wish that. :P
There is a Haynes manual for the Rotarran that I've had on my wishlist for a while. When I played the MMO, I was content with my own little Bird of Prey. I kept the aesthetic of a classic B'rel, and even had it decked out in full disruptors. I don't remember the build to full detail, but I had like multiple quad cannons on it so it pretty much would fly by at high throttle for a serious pelting on targeted ships. I got really good at those capture the particle scenarios. I dont remember what the level was called, but there was a big black hole that would suck you in if you got too close. I was really good at swinging through the masses and outrunning ppl. not the greatest shielding, but it was quick. That was my MO, at least. obviously, I sucked in settings where i had to take a beating.

Klingon Bird of Prey Haynes Manual cover.jpg

Its currently Free to Play. I come back to it every once in a while just like I do with The Old Republic MMO. Since I'm not the biggest fan of MMOs. But the stories are really good. I actually originally played back when they both cost money.
I kinda got put off when they introduced the Discovery klingons and mashed them into the already established tng styled klingons. It was a weird melding and the whole thing felt forced.

Deep Space Nine was so good at world building and showing things outside the Federation. Quark, Odo, and Garak were my absolute favorite characters on that show.
Yeah, I think that's what i liked most about that series, they got away from the fed

If you like Humor with good story and taking place in post DS9 era Trek, I'd say check out Lower Decks. It really gets into how the non bridge officers get along while the "Big Boys" are off on their adventures.
I think i remember someone mentioning that once. It's animated, yeah?

Yeah. Lower Decks is one of the animated ones. Its got an interesting cast with some great storylines. Honestly, right now its one of my favorite ongoing Treks

Yeah. Lower Decks is one of the animated ones. Its got an interesting cast with some great storylines. Honestly, right now its one of my favorite ongoing Treks
i'll definitely look into it. well... if I can look into it. I'm on Netflix and HBO Max, and I don't recall seeing it on either one. I don't check in often though, it's more my husband and kiddo that watch the tv

i'll definitely look into it. well... if I can look into it. I'm on Netflix and HBO Max, and I don't recall seeing it on either one. I don't check in often though, it's more my husband that watches tv
Its on Paramount+ which is the current home of ALL Star Trek shows and movies. They've been pulling them off of other streaming services for a while now and all new stuff shows up there. If you love Star Trek stuff, i recommend getting Paramount+

Its on Paramount+ which is the current home of ALL Star Trek shows and movies. They've been pulling them off of other streaming services for a while now and all new stuff shows up there. If you love Star Trek stuff, i recommend getting Paramount+
OR, i can go about it the way I watched these things before I had subscriptions. lol 🏴‍☠️

OR, i can go about it the way I watched these things before I had subscriptions. lol 🏴‍☠️
I mean, I think the only one currently on actual television at present is Star Trek Prodigy which is more aimed at younger Star Trek viewers. Its about a bunch of aliens teenagers that are imprisoned on a prison mining colony by an evil overlord in the Delta Quadrant. They manage to discover an abandoned Federation Ship with a Janeway Hologram and they go on adventures trying to find the Federation.

I believe on tv its on Nickelodeon.

I mean, I think the only one currently on actual television at present is Star Trek Prodigy which is more aimed at younger Star Trek viewers. Its about a bunch of aliens teenagers that are imprisoned on a prison mining colony by an evil overlord in the Delta Quadrant. They manage to discover an abandoned Federation Ship with a Janeway Hologram and they go on adventures trying to find the Federation.

I believe on tv its on Nickelodeon.
I meant that I could find them on illegitimate streaming sites. lol
It's how I used to watch anything that was typically only on subscription sites.

And I think there is a video game about that Prodigy series, actually. I've seen it in the Nintendo shop when I look for games for the family Switch.

I meant that I could find them on illegitimate streaming sites. lol
It's how I used to watch anything that was typically only on subscription sites.

And I think there is a video game about that Prodigy series, actually. I've seen it in the Nintendo shop when I look for games for the family Switch.
Ah Hhahah. That makes a lot more sense then. :P

Also valid.

And yes, I do believe that they came out with a video game. The show is pretty good. It takes place i think just before the Picard Era. But it might be too Kid Friendly for you. Though the villians are downright nasty!

Honestly, I really liked Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy
He was really good as Dr. McCoy. In fact, i saw an interview with Lenard Nemoy that said his impression of Dr. McCoy made him feel as if Defforest Kelley was standing right there. If that's not a solid endorsement, I dont know what is.

My thing is, as a writer, I've been wanting to write a rather detailed starter for Star Trek, but honestly? I'm not sure how to start it. I do have one I've written, but it involves a near death, and I don't know how that would settle with other people. So, I want to write one that's not so dark. My brain just hasn't allowed me to say, "Oh, that would be a good and fun starter" to any ideas.

My thing is, as a writer, I've been wanting to write a rather detailed starter for Star Trek, but honestly? I'm not sure how to start it. I do have one I've written, but it involves a near death and I don't know how that would settle with other people. So, I want to write one that's not so dark. My brain just hasn't allowed me to say, "Oh, that would be a good and fun starter" to any ideas.
I mean, I don't mind some pretty dark themes. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy something lighter.

If it helps, would you like to discuss the elements you'd like to put into play in the RP?

I mean, I don't mind some pretty dark themes. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy something lighter.

If it helps, would you like to discuss the elements you'd like to put into play in the RP?
Yes, please! I could actually show you the darker starter too if you want. It's written to where I can turn the whole setting around if needed, so any opinions are good!

Well, you got two Trek peeps right here. So why not shoot your ideas at us?

Well, for the darker starter (I will send the starter to anyone who wants to see it), it involves the Enterprise taking heavy damage during a fight with the Klingons and Romulans (originally). During the battle, Winter (my OC) had tried contacting engineering so she could ask Scotty if any help was needed. All she heard was static, which made her panic. With her panic and protectiveness taking over, she didn't think twice about going down to engineering to see what had happened. Once down there, she had noticed a few of the main wires and controls had been highly damaged. Winter being Winter, she went in and tried to fix things herself. During this, the ship had been hit again, causing a piece of the inner to break off, crush her, and put her on her death bed.

As for the other starter I was wanting to write, I was thinking about it being a little lighter. Of course, you can't have Star Trek without SOME TYPE of battle, but I wanted to throw in some happiness, maybe a bit of comedy (like how it is in the show), some cute and wholesome moments between the crew, and other elements around the 'lighter' theme. I just have no idea how the lighter one would start off, or what could happen later in the story.

okay, so in the darkr start...is your character actually going to die? Or is there some miraculous save that happens to her? Cause, otherwise, the premise ends pretty quickly. lol Maybe they need to track down a Mcguffin to bring her back from critical condition. restore function to the ship, etc. Maybe they spin out of the battle and teleport to a nearby planet etc. Maybe the planet is a parody of the Bermuda triangle and is littered with shipwrecks, etc.

All this still works for the lighter starter, too (at least, thats my opinion)

Last edited:
okay, so in the darkr start...is your character actually dying? Or is there some miraculous save that happens to her? Cause, otherwise, the premise ends pretty quickly. lol Maybe they need to track down a Mcguffin to bring her back from critical condition. restore function to the ship, etc. Maybe they spin out of the battle and teleport to a nearby planet etc. Maybe the planet is a parody of the Bermuda triangle and is littered with shipwrecks, etc.

All this still works for the lighter starter, too (at least, thats my opinion)
She was actually dying, but McCoy manages to bring her back (originally), and they had to take her to Vulcan (she's Spock's younger sister) after Sarek had found out. To say the Vulcan council/ambassadors were displeased would be an understatement. It had been Sarek's choice on weather she was allowed to return to the Enterprise or not, let alone Starfleet. Though, the idea of the Bermuda Triangle idea is amazing! I love it! As soon as Winter was able to walk even just a little bit, she'd want to explore the planet XD. She's like Sulu with plants, but with her it's animals. She's have one of every know creature as a pet if she could. She has a pet tribble, which she adopted during the Tribble episode. She literally begged Kirk and McCoy to let her keep one XD. Even during the lighter one, she'd be like, "Please?! They're so cute!" XD

Where YC would see a pet, my STO character would see lunch. lmao

Also, if you go with a shipwreck planet, it opens up an avenue for the other person(s) you are RPing with to be other than Fed. js

Winter would be like, "No! Don't eat it!" She'd then pick the creature up and hug it while petting it with the 'my precious' look. XD

That's very true! It does! It'll give people the chance to make up their own races too!

I am thinking about putting the darker starter as a group rp thread. I did write as Spock in the starter, but anyone that wants to take over playing as him is welcome to.

I am thinking about putting the darker starter as a group rp thread. I did write as Spock in the starter, but anyone that wants to take over playing as him is welcome to.
That's very true! It does! It'll give people the chance to make up their own races too!
I would be interested in possibly participating in a group if I could be say... a KDF klingon warrior that has been marooned on the planet for a bit. Not meeting up with the group until they get to that point in the story. It might be a bit of a wait for me. But I do like the premise.

Though.... I can't recall any female klingons from the original series. I'll hafta google for pic refs. Otherwise, I could go for a different species. Let's put a pin in that idea until I find a suitable fc

I would be interested in possibly participating in a group if I could be say... a KDF klingon warrior that has been marooned on the planet for a bit. Not meeting up with the group until they get to that point in the story. It might be a bit of a wait for me. But I do like the premise.

Though.... I can't recall any female klingons from the original series. I'll hafta google for pic refs. Otherwise, I could go for a different species. Let's put a pin in that idea until I find a suitable fc
There were absolutely female klingons in the original series. I think one or two appeared with Kang?

I'll have to double check which one. But there were Klingon females in the original series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back