Any Philosophers Out There?

Tronethiel

The Absurdist
Well, maybe not actual bonafide PhDs but those, at least, who are interested in philosophy or have studied the field and its contributors.

I just recently graduated from college in a philosophy program so I wanted to know if there were any thinking fellows on RPN. This thread doesn't necessarily have to turn into a thread about philosophy. It's more of a community sampling, but feel free to start up some conversation!

And for a bit of humor to set the tone:

nietzsche-nothing1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an immense interest in philosophy, and enjoy conversations regarding the branches of the topic. Although, I'm by no means entirely adept, nor have I studied it extensively or pursued the field, aha.

I'll likely end up with Philosophy as one of my majors. Being or Nothingness is totally next on my to-read list. Has been for awhile but shhhhh.

Also, Troooooooon?!?!

Raerae said:
I have an immense interest in philosophy, and enjoy conversations regarding the branches of the topic. Although, I'm by no means entirely adept, nor have I studied it extensively or pursued the field, aha.
What parts of philosophy do you love, or do you have a favorite writer? Topics of interest? I by no means consider myself an expert as well. That moniker is reserved for the doctorates.

Dusky said:
I'll likely end up with Philosophy as one of my majors. Being or Nothingness is totally next on my to-read list. Has been for awhile but shhhhh.
Also, Troooooooon?!?!
You LIVE! and I live for that matter. What have you been up to? Finally returned from your journey? I've honestly only been back for a few weeks myself, haha.

It's exciting to here there is another major around here. Yes, I've enjoyed what little I've read of Sartre, I think there are some very cool things functioning in existentialism. That being said, I speak with only a very basic understanding of the view.

Tronethiel7 said:
What parts of philosophy do you love, or do you have a favorite writer? Topics of interest? I by no means consider myself an expert as well. That moniker is reserved for the doctorates.
You LIVE! and I live for that matter. What have you been up to? Finally returned from your journey? I've honestly only been back for a few weeks myself, haha.

It's exciting to here there is another major around here. Yes, I've enjoyed what little I've read of Sartre, I think there are some very cool things functioning in existentialism. That being said, I speak with only a very basic understanding of the view.
My favorite writer, at the moment, would be Nicholas Taleb, and his book the Black Swan- I'm trying to get a hold of his other pieces, I love to read what he has to say, it's so fluid and often humorous.

The discussion behind predictability, complexity and even those questions that make your brain really hurt, like is red really red, who perceives it differently- seriously? Whatever makes me think until I'm exhausted, cause that doesn't happen often, lol.

Raerae said:
My favorite writer, at the moment, would be Nicholas Taleb, and his book the Black Swan- I'm trying to get a hold of his other pieces, I love to read what he has to say, it's so fluid and often humorous.
The discussion behind predictability, complexity and even those questions that make your brain really hurt, like is red really red, who perceives it differently- seriously? Whatever makes me think until I'm exhausted, cause that doesn't happen often, lol.
Indeed, it is quite strange to consider sense data as it is interpreted by different people. Especially something like colors since the best that can be done is to compare it to something else that has the attribute of appearing the same color. Blue is blue, red is red, none of this actually means anything substantial independent of the context we give it internally. When any of us are talking about anything, are we actually even speaking about the same thing?! Oh dear...

Tronethiel7 said:
Indeed, it is quite strange to consider sense data as it is interpreted by different people. Especially something like colors since the best that can be done is to compare it to something else that has the attribute of appearing the same color. Blue is blue, red is red, none of this actually means anything substantial independent of the context we give it internally. When any of us are talking about anything, are we actually even speaking about the same thing?! Oh dear...
And here comes the headache, haha. Not to mention I start asking these questions at like two in the morning, my mom hates it when I get the inquiries going. I have so many books, if I could just find a second of peace where I live to read and... honestly just acquire more questions, since there aren't enough answers!

I can't tell you how funny I found that picture in your first post, Tronethiel! xD

Interest in philosophy, yes. Actual practical knowledge of most philosophers is...limited haha. I can tell you the basics, like who some of the important people were, but I have yet to read many of their works. I've got a definite interest in a lot of classical and Enlightenment philosophers, but there's so many works that are considered essential I've always been at a loss as to where to start. What would any of the fine posters here recommend?

I've studied some basic philosophy (taken a survey class, read this and that), but my absolute favorite is Existentialism and the Absurd. I studied it more for use in analysis, though (films, literature, dramaturgy, ect.).

Favorite philosopher is a hard one but Sartre, Camus, Kierkegaard were all pretty cool dudes. Schopenhauer, too...mmm yea.

I also find some of Nietzche's stuff fascinating but I've never read anything of his firsthand.

@DerUbermensch[/URL] (Note the reference), are more than certainly intrigued in the topics of philosophy.
Given his username and photo, I am not surprised!

[QUOTE="Pretzel Heart]I've studied some basic philosophy (taken a survey class, read this and that), but my absolute favorite is Existentialism and the Absurd. I studied it more for use in analysis, though (films, literature, dramaturgy, ect.).
Favorite philosopher is a hard one but Sartre, Camus, Kierkegaard were all pretty cool dudes. Schopenhauer, too...mmm yea.

I also find some of Nietzche's stuff fascinating but I've never read anything of his firsthand.

[/QUOTE]
Whoa, that's some serious continental name dropping. My roots are primarily in the analytic tradition, though I've read Nietzsche, and some Sartre. As far as Camus goes, I'm only vaguely aware of his literature. All of those fellows intrigue me though. My shelf is rife with books I need to get to reading.

@Tronethiel7 Interesting word choice, 'continental,' lol. My favorite thing by Camus is his essay "The Myth of Sisyphus," giving me one of my favorite lines in all of anything, really. But like I said, I'm a huge fan of Absurdism. Schopenhauer is amazing if you can understand his stuff. IDK why he's hard for me sometimes. I don't read a lot of straight philosophy texts, though.

Shelves only exist to hold an endless list of books will never finish reading. :')

Piggybacking off a mention, I am especially interested in existentialism and the philosopher I use as my avatar gimmick.

[QUOTE="Pretzel Heart]I've studied some basic philosophy (taken a survey class, read this and that), but my absolute favorite is Existentialism and the Absurd. I studied it more for use in analysis, though (films, literature, dramaturgy, ect.).

[/QUOTE]
Camoooo's picture is on my door. A stranger put it there.

[QUOTE="Pretzel Heart]@Tronethiel7 Interesting word choice, 'continental,' lol. My favorite thing by Camus is his essay "The Myth of Sisyphus," giving me one of my favorite lines in all of anything, really. But like I said, I'm a huge fan of Absurdism. Schopenhauer is amazing if you can understand his stuff. IDK why he's hard for me sometimes. I don't read a lot of straight philosophy texts, though.
Shelves only exist to hold an endless list of books will never finish reading. :')

[/QUOTE]
Well, traditionally there are two general classifications of philosophical approach. These are continental and analytic. I didn't make them up haha. Continental refers generally to the European continent. This is, however, somewhat of a misnomer because there are continental philosophers who are not European. Examples of continental philosophers are Sartre, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Camus, etc. Continentals tend to take a more broadly conceptual and literary approach to philosophy, so that's the sort of thing that characterizes the field.

Conversely, you have the analytic philosophers such as Wittgenstein, Quine, Lewis, Frege, etc. These fellows emphasize philosophical study through logical structures. They're all about being clear, concise, and systematic in their thinking.

Both traditions are really cool though and to be honest a healthy mix of both approaches is probably the ideal. As with many things in life.

DerUbermensch said:
Piggybacking off a mention, I am especially interested in existentialism and the philosopher I use as my avatar gimmick.
Welcome Uber! Yes, as far as I am familiar with Existentialism I think it's got some great things going for it. And it is undoubted that Nietzsche is the shit. Regardless of whether someone fully subscribes to his ideas, there is a sheer brilliance functioning in his work that must be acknowledged.

Really? I don't think I've ever heard it applied that way before (as a type of study). But when you outline it like that it definitely makes sense why I would be naturally drawn to that one over the other. Though we did have to read some Lewis in class.......I believe. There was a lot of name-dropping going on and I'm not awesome with names lol.

What about ancient philosophers such as Socrates / Plato and all them? Also philosophers that lie outside of the Western tradition altogether?

Hey all I'm coming out. I've been hiding this for a while since I'd be judged, but I'm a Kantian, and I decided that posting this is permissible by the categorical imperative after three days of deliberation. If only everyone could do the same, we'd have a perfect world.

[QUOTE="Pretzel Heart]Really? I don't think I've ever heard it applied that way before (as a type of study). But when you outline it like that it definitely makes sense why I would be naturally drawn to that one over the other. Though we did have to read some Lewis in class.......I believe. There was a lot of name-dropping going on and I'm not awesome with names lol.
What about ancient philosophers such as Socrates / Plato and all them? Also philosophers that lie outside of the Western tradition altogether?

[/QUOTE]
Socrates and Plato are a sort of exception because almost every thread of modern philosophy is derived from their work. Though in Socrates' case the only real impression we have of him is from Plato's work. Thus, they represent and profound blending of the two approaches. It was many years after Plato before these categorizations came into being. Plato is the progenitor. That being said, Aristotle's writings are pretty indicative of an analytic mindset, so I'm sure there's something there.

Outside of the western tradition I have little experience. My hunch would be that they lean continental, especially sense many eastern philosophers are rather poetic. Again though, I'm not sticking to that too strongly. It's difficult to put them in a box when they are further removed from the roots. Boxes are stupid most of the time anyway.

Archie said:
Hey all I'm coming out. I've been hiding this for a while since I'd be judged, but I'm a Kantian, and I decided that posting this is permissible by the categorical imperative after three days of deliberation. If only everyone could do the same, we'd have a perfect world.
Glory! Glory! I'm not a Kantian per se but I love Kant. I jive with many of his ideas. Rock those maxims bro.

Tronethiel7 said:
Glory! Glory! I'm not a Kantian per se but I love Kant. I jive with many of his ideas. Rock those maxims bro.
Actually, to "rock a maxim" is not a maxim itself, and therefore is an inaccurate order to give. To Rock in general is a categorical imperative, while to rock a maxim is just a conditional imperative, and what are these "bros" you refer to? When I look around, I see no bros, only rational agents.

My logic is unassailable.

Archie said:
Actually, to "rock a maxim" is not a maxim itself, and therefore is an inaccurate order to give. To Rock in general is a categorical imperative, while to rock a maxim is just a conditional imperative, and what are these "bros" you refer to? When I look around, I see no bros, only rational agents.
My logic is unassailable.
How do I like this more than once?

Tronethiel7 said:
How do I like this more than once?
You can't, because RPN recognizes that that would be morally impermissible by the categorical imperative. Imagine if everyone liked everyone's posts more than once, then a tidal wave of terrible posts would flood into the forum and cause it to die.

@TheDarkWizard is clearly the ideal lawmaker in the Kingdom of the Ends

Archie said:
You can't, because RPN recognizes that that would be morally impermissible by the categorical imperative. Imagine if everyone liked everyone's posts more than once, then a tidal wave of terrible posts would flood into the forum and cause it to die.
@TheDarkWizard is clearly the ideal lawmaker in the Kingdom of the Ends
Indeed, @The Dark Wizard, he who is most rational and unrestricted by the frivolous expectations of lesser beings.

Don't mind me. Just thoroughly enjoying this discussion, snickering at the humor no one I know would understand.

Loving the talks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back