• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy And I dreamt of a wondrous journey

official clown business

Okay so our name is Piss and we are the Mafioso

"... taking us all the way up to the tallest spires of the world, or across the forested homeland of the semi-exotic races..."disclaimer: don't come here expecting romance, i ain't that kinda writer... also lower your expectations because i had five days to make my writing sound fancy. couldn't resist.

Hello, friends! I'm here to try out one of the things I've never come even close to stepping into during my time here, and dive into the realm of one on ones.

Right now, I'm searching for a high fantasy roleplayer (or two) who's willing to take part in a moderate-length journey and help me expand on some of the world I've created, working on some of it beforehand and the rest of it as we go. If you haven't already been intimidated by the big words and the sheer wordiness of this post (in fact, if someone else had posted this that might've intimidated me), then you might just be the sort of fellow I can spend some time roleplaying with.

So, let's go ahead and start off by seeing how well I've done typing out my preferences and what's featured in these roleplays:

General Preferences
  • We're doing it on this site! I'm ready to drop it into the one on one section for all to see, but I could potentially be convinced into PMs if you reeeeally prefer it that way.
  • I try my best to do much of the narrating, kind of like a GM does. Naturally, there are other characters and a setting for me to take care of.
  • I'm not much of a romantic writer and so I really don't care too much about the gender of either character. Whatever works best for you, mate!
  • Casual or semi-detailed levels of writing are preferred... I've got to do a lot of writing anyway, but if you've got big paragraphs they are gonna be intimidating as fuck to me. I sure as hell ain't a novelist, even though I do this both for fun and to improve some of my writing regardless, so don't come in expecting a virtuoso or something. If we're both good at English and like what we're seeing so far, that's good enough for me.
  • I'm no fast responder, but I'm sure I can get a reasonable speed going. At a minimum (unless shit happens) let's see if we can manage at least one post per day or two, perhaps more.
  • My timezone is MST which is just about the western US. At the time of posting this, I probably went to bed about half an hour later.
  • Saying "fuck this, I'm out" will be shocking, but provide better closure for me than disappearing will.
  • Should go without saying, but the common courtesies of roleplay and the rules of the nation definitely apply here.
For this roleplay...
  • Dice are included - twenty-siders. Though not overtly involved, it'll be a thing in combat, knowledge, and various situations involving matters of skill. Usually I do all the rolling with no one else in the know (mostly because the roll function is missing), but I think it's more fun if we both know what's going on with the dice so if there's a good way to figure that out I'm all ears. Otherwise I might just go on Discord and use a bot.
  • Speaking of which, there are stats and such, but it's very simplified - literally just condition + armor, stamina, and accuracy (+temperature in Spire) - and you can die if it ever comes to that.
  • I'm down for some pretty good worldbuilding. I have yet to flesh out some parts of the setting and wouldn't mind any help on that at all, even if you aren't participating in the roleplay.
  • If you're interested, reply to this thread with the 'plot' you prefer and the race your character is going to be. Creating characters here may be a little different thanks to the whole stats and rolling deal, so don't start just yet.
  • While making your character, you will have the option of picking from the ones from the list I've got here. Ask about one now and I can expand on it.
  • At least one of the characters must be human in race. No real reason why... it's just gotta be that way.
  • I'm always forgetting something... so ask me about any details you're unsure of.
Next up- races. While we can't forget about the good old human race, I've got a small variety of other races and subraces for your character to have. Pick whatever you think looks like the most fun!

Races
The individuals who each take part in these stories are comprised of many colors.
Human
An easily recognized, but highly adaptable race known for their civilizations.In a world such as this, humanity will certainly not be found in any small quantity, with their settlements, kingdoms, and organizations spanning the vast majority of the regions in the continent. While human nature is well known to the readers and requires no explanation, humans have an unusual affinity to adaptation not seen in other races.
Humans must pick one of up to four available 'subraces' to have as part of their character, gaining unique abilities as a result of their birthplace.

Nomad
latest
Nomads start with additional skills or items.
The most common race of humans, nomads are often found within the safety of their own civilizations, and are abundant in the southern regions where magic and harsh conditions are far less prevalent than further north. Nomads make up for their lack of racial abilities with the pride they have in their stuff.
Sprylet
latest
Whenever an ally casts a spell for the first time in a campaign, Sprylet may roll to cast it as well, and will learn it if they roll high.
One of the two human races that can be found up north, sprylet are generally born to magically experienced parents or places that are rife with magic. It's easy to tell a sprylet from another human by their often vibrant eye colors and their affinity towards learning spells and magical feats of all kinds.
Vherid
latest
Vherid are immune to most negative status effects and afflictions of a physical nature.
A highly rugged northern race, vherid are only born in places where environmental adversity is known to thrive. Their rough and resilient skin allows them to be quite resistant to sicknesses, magical afflictions, and the kind of harsh weather that would make a normal person reluctant to proceed any further.
Ilfern
latest
Ilfern start combat with maximum stamina, and may still meditate after the first round.
Humans that begin their life below the surface of the world are ilfern, who are well suited to the dark and eerie environments below. Aside from the decidedly inhuman stamina they possess, ilfern have often been noted to have eyes which glow dimly, especially in total darkness.

Kobold
Adventurous, ever curious, and bold - traits that speak true to their name.
latest
Kobolds use two dice when rolling, and inflict far greater damage with unarmed strikes.
Known for their rocky fur, fangs, roughly 4 foot stature, and eighty-year lifespan, the bold race belongs to the voyagers and explorers who make their home in many of the mountains and desert regions throughout the world. Kobolds are known for their unusually good (and sometimes unusually bad) luck as well as their abilities in close combat, both of which are certainly quite fitting for a life in the wide world.
Nochse
latest
Nochse use two dice when rolling, and are greatly resistant to attacks that deal high damage.
Kobolds born under the world are known to go through an unusual change that results in them being tougher and far more difficult to physically buckle. With fur as tough as metal or obsidian, nochse (who are generally still referred to as kobolds) have natural armor that appears to be far stronger than the kind made conventionally.

Drakir
Taller, wiser, and longer lived - much to the chagrin of the other races.
latest
Drakir start with additional condition, and regenerate it at a gradual rate.
This uncommon race of dragon-or-lizard-like individuals can be found almost anywhere they want to be found. Towering over the other races with a height of between 8 and 10 feet, drakir can appear quite imposing when first met, but most are virtuous and intelligent fellows who are just as comfortable with a sedate lifestyle as they are with a thrilling one. With a lifespan of around two-hundred years, the average drakir will have quite a bit to say about the world around them when you come across one.
Anfirn
latest
Anfirn start with additional stamina, and regenerate it at a faster rate.
Like the other two races, drakir are known to adapt in an interesting fashion when born below the surface. If the second pair of horns jutting from their forehead doesn't convince a person of the anfirn's presence, they'll still take note of their inordinate fitness and ability to endure tasks that would tire out an ordinary person quickly.

And, finally, we have the most important part of the search - the 'plot'. Which of these two sounds most compelling for you to check out, and which of my characters are you most interested in travelling alongside?

latest
The Spire of Dreams
Layer up and steel your mind for the snow-covered peak before you. Trials and breathtaking sights await the adventurous.
In the far (but not quite farthest) northern regions of the continent, one can make out the distant Thioterys Spire - a tall, mountainous formation that splits the clouds at its peak and is always draped with thick snow. To the snowy kobold tribes in the area, it is a landmark with a divine history making it a popular destination for pilgrimage and one of the main obstacles on the tribal snowbold's path to adulthood. For the adventurous dreamweaver, this is an insightful and profound journey with a layer of mental ardor added to make things interesting. And, for many others, ascending this mountain can mean something entirely different, be it a personal challenge, a vacation destination, or perhaps something more.

You are one such person, here to climb to the top in order to fulfill your desired purpose. It's early in the morning, and few have begun the climb today. Before you can set off towards the Spire, you'll be required to visit the lodge located at the base of the mountain, to ensure you are prepared for the journey. And, per lodge rules, you'll need to sign your name on the ledger and find a partner to climb alongside.

As you might expect, this is going to be a roleplay about climbing a tall, snowy mountain - slightly inspired by The Long Dark. Aside from the obvious issues that come from temperature and altitude, there will be other forms of adversity throughout the climb, such as potential combat with hostile wildlife, harsh weather, and the actual physical strain of climbing a mountain. While death in Thioterys is a rare scenario, it's important to understand that this isn't an experience for the faint of heart, and not everyone is cut out for the spire. It's not going to be all challenge, though - there will be plenty of chances for quiet moments and downtime, providing ample opportunity for you to discuss things with your climbing partner or just shoot the shit, whatever works best for you.

Your character isn't going to be a regular ol' climber; they'll have some form of worldly experiences, skills, and of course, a reason for ascending the spire. It's recommended to create a character who knows plenty of magic - and, if you'd like to spice things up further, it's highly encouraged that they have some experience with dreamweaving or oneiromancy as well. It'll make things more interesting near the end.
You may select any available race for this one, though certain races are restricted in their choice of companion.
Each of these characters has their own story and their own personal reason for climbing the mountain. Who are you most interested in bringing along with you?

latest
Reynold Emeric

A former sorcerer and veteran mountaineer who knows the ins and outs of the many canyons and peaks he's traversed. As of late, though, it seems his age has started to get the better of him.
latest
Corilyn

Though young, she's seen much of the wide world and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. She's incredibly skilled in most forms of spellcraft and is an accomplished dreamweaver who's easy to get along with.
latest
Isleer

A snowbold from one of the tribes in the region. She's seemingly forced into ascending the snowy peak in order to become a fully-fledged adult in her tribe, but her nerves and fear of heights will be no small issue.
latest
Seshilan

A kobold from the desert steppes, experienced in survivalism. He's got plenty of experience among the Dreamers, where he is known for his love of ancient history - especially that of his own race.
latest
Yarilisk

Former member of an esteemed clan of drakir warriors, who claims to be very old, and supposedly wiser as a result. He intends to reach the peak in order to send an inspiring statement to the rest of his kinfolk.
latest
Ceteran

He's an anfirn - mercenary, slayer, and thrill seeker of sorts. He seems alright, though the discerning climber would say he is suspiciously over-prepared for the climb - and he's not telling anyone why.

latest
Exotic Excursions
Few voyagers from belowground have ever thought to go as far as the homeland of the drakir. Will their presence be well-received?
A clan of proud and fierce warriors can be seen honing their craft in a distant clearing. Further still, a herbalist and a blacksmith appear to be sharing their newfound prosperity in their habitation. Inevitably, they'll all turn their heads to witness the entrance of two very warm-blooded tourists into their lifestyle - a sharp contrast from the usual visits by humans and kobolds. As a matter of fact, these two would be the first of the underground kind to witness life as the drakir knew it. Whether they would be regarded with fear, curiosity, or disgust, was still yet to be seen, and the only way to find out would be to step deeper into the fascinating culture of the drakir. Hopefully, they'll be nice about it, but inevitably things will happen that'll be sure to keep the two voyagers on edge.

For reasons unknown to all but the most knowledgeable, the world at this time is experiencing an extended nighttime, as if the sun had somehow vanished eclipsed without anyone's noticed. Don't let that bother you, though; all you need to be concerned about is that you're here on a little vacation, to see what things are like in the home of the drakir. It should be quite the interesting experience.

Don't need to explain much more about this one - you've headed out alongside a fellow traveler on your first visit to the home of a semi-exotic race, the drakir. They're tall, live long lives, and might be hospitable to tourists. It'll be a light adventure that is likely to feature combat, suspicious substances, and culture shock. After all, you've lived in the sunless world beneath the surface (where you were born) for most of your life, so things will probably be much different for you than it will be for these guys.

Considering that warrior clan from earlier, it would probably be wise if your character was equipped to defend themselves, whether with magic, physical weaponry, or perhaps both. Otherwise, you don't need to have anything particularly special about yourself as long as you've got a good reason for going on a surface vacation like this.
Only the three underground races are available for this one: ilfern, nochse, and anfirn.
You'll be among the first to step into the verdant realm of the drakir. You never know what's going to happen, so it's best to bring someone along.

latest
Lyle Rhyneer

A seeker of curios, artifacts, and other fancy souvenirs to bring back to the popular pawn shop his old man runs down underground. He's got plenty of arcane knowledge and a rational but excitable attitude.
latest
Kyena Styrming

Headstrong and often stubborn, this woman enjoys the rush of action (or any kind of rush at all, really) and has a startling amount of combat experience and overconfidence to keep the fun going.
latest
Nossevor

When his family discovered what happened to a drakir that was born beneath the surface, they abandoned him in fear. Now, he's tracking down clues as to where his parents and sister may have gone off to.

And so you've managed to reach the end of my long and rather wordy partner search - or perhaps you've skimmed through it instead, which is totally fine.
If you've got any questions about literally anything in this post, or want to know more about one or two of the characters I've listed, do not hesitate to ask me! I'll gladly take any opportunity to mention details I might have forgotten, or even create some more lore to add to this world. Thanks for taking the time to take a look at my search!

an example of characters I've made for this world, and the simplified character sheet I'll likely be using, plus a little extra lore if you enjoy more reading. faceclaims are hard, I don't really need them do I?
you can also check out more things I've written by using the links in my signature
icons by
MezzanineStairs | inspired by D&D, URealms, and World's End

Users who are viewing this thread

Back