• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love: Draft Three

Washington D.C.
Amelia
When Jayden moved me I was half awake but didn't bother to move much because I knew what Jayden was doing and I felt safe in his arms. When he left to take a shower I dozed off, curling into his side of the bed because his natural scent was comforting and put me to sleep easily. The next thing I remembered was him moving me gently but I just curled right back into his chest like I was on the couch. Smiling when Jayden calmed his breathing to match my own, hearing him whisper to me. "Please don't ever leave," I mumbled before I fell back to sleep to the sound of his heartbeat.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
When Isabel opened the door, the weight I kept in my knees was relieved. Thank you. Hurrying inside to beat the rain, I gave the woman I loved a guilty grin that told her I was sorry before I handed off the flowers and watched her hesitantly wander the room. When she asked what I was doing back in her apartment I felt my heart drop. You're a fool for coming here so soon after not chasing after her. This was a mistake. Standing there paralyzed in my own guilt as the silence continued to linger between us before Isabel took the tea. "I promised you we'd get it," I reminded her as I made eye contact with her. "Isabel, I love you, I want you to know that. I just want to understand what happened today. Explain it to me, please. I want to understand why you aren't comfortable with my friends, please. I always want you to feel welcomed and respected, but I can't help you if you don't communicate with me when something this big is bothering you."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Sighing softly to what I heard Dawson say, I bit my lip, trying to collect my thoughts before I said something to anger him again. I sipped my bubble tea some more, chewing on the boba when it made its way through the straw before I set it down and hugged the blanket tighter to try and get more warmth. I didn’t know how to explain why I acted the way I did with Dawson’s friend without having the chance of hurting him. Just tell the truth. Looking at the dashing pilot, I finally tried to give my explanation, fearing what would happen after I did. “I’m sorry I didn’t interact much with y’all today. It’s a common thing for me when I’m around your friends and I’m sorry that it happens. Levi and I happen to get along. I do enjoy his company but today I will admit I was irritated with him for joining in on our dinner. It was childish of me to act the way I was simply because we no longer were on a date just you and I. I shouldn’t have let it get to me that bad but I did and I’m sorry. I’ll apologize to him about it the next time I see him.” Sighing, I looked away from the man that I loved, opting to stare at my feet when I gave my explanation about her.

“Josie and I don’t get along, Dawson, and we never will.” When I saw the slight hurt in his eyes, I knew I struck a nerve. That’s when my mind started to go into overdrive, thinking about every possible outcome that could occur. There were so many and my mind was racing so fast that I began to feel sick. My chest was tightening and I couldn’t find the words to keep going. “I tried for your sake, back when you introduced us to each other. She and I were having a nice conversation until she said she didnt quite understand why you were dating me. They all thought it and at the time I didn’t know how to take it.” I was getting off topic and he knew I was because I was fidgeting with my hands. “She told me about y’all, Dawson. About y’all almost becoming something until you moved on to Dallas for better things. I didn’t care at first, but that was before she kept bringing it up and saying she just doesn’t know what you see in me. I get I’m different. I get I’m not like anyone you grew up with but I was so open to meeting them, and it hurt to know they couldn’t look past our differences and do the same. She enjoys seeing me uncomfortable. She enjoys knowing I look like the bitch in a situation when we’re all together. I know she still likes you. Today, she stayed back to watch our fight and when I got out of the truck to get an Uber, she laughed. She gets thrilled knowing you’re angry with me. It’s just a lot, Dawson.” Biting my lip, I refused to look up from my shoes to see his face. I didn’t want to know what he thought. I was fearful that he was angry. “I tried. I tried so hard when we first went to Fort Worth but I can’t do it anymore. I can’t keep putting in the effort to smile and be charming, taking everything they have to say about me with a grain of salt, just to make you happy. I love you but it’s exhausting, and I never want to go back to trying to please other people while losing sight of who I am.”

Since we were already opening one can of worms, I couldn’t stop myself from continuing to ramble on. “I’m sorry I can’t socialize with your friends. I promise next time, I’ll do better. Also, I want you to ride again at the rodeo. I know that’s just as much a part of you as flying. I want to support you in all that you do for the rest of our lives. I can’t hold you back from riding just because it makes me anxious.”

Last edited:
Dallas, Texas
Dawson
I knew by the way Isabel continued to avoid the conversation, she didn't want to upset me with the truth. Just say it. Planting my hands on the counter, I concentrated on a pattern in the countertop with she spoke. As suspected, her confession clenched my gut, making it hard to breathe. When she finished, I lifted my head, pinching my nose to keep my angered sorrow in check. Opening my eyes, I looked Isabel straight on.

"So how are we going to fix this, Isabel? I don't want to lose you, but you're making it sound like this is never going to work as long as I keep the same friends. I can't get rid of the past. I can talk to Josie, but if you've already decided you don't like her what's the point? I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Isabel. Isn't that enough for you? I want to marry you, raise a family with you, teach my daughters to be just like their mother and my sons to respect you for the strong woman you are. I want to take them to the ranch and hold your hand on the porch while they chase the dogs. I want to build a house with you, one that fits all your expensive tastes and almost makes me go bankrupt but I don't care because the smile on your face when you see it will be worth every damn penny. I want to grow old with you and spend my last breath telling you how beautiful you are and how much I love you for making my life more than I ever thought it could become. Let me love you, please."

Bridging the gap between us, I cupped Isabel's face her wet curls still clinging to her face from the rain. You still look stunning. "The only person I want is you," I whispered in her ear before I pulled her into a memorable kiss. I was crazy about Isabel and I knew then I would spend the rest of my life proving it to her as long as she would let me.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Let's just say Dawson and I were able to work it out, and now I was on a plane, flying out to Washington D.C. so that I could spend time with my best friend. I know she and I both needed this time alone together, and I was glad Dawson understood. After this weekend was over, I had to return to Dallas and try to be civil with my pilots friends from Fort Worth. The rodeo was next weekend and I wasn't all that thrilled about it. I didn't want Dawson to ride, but like I told him, I would support him in all that he decided to do. I was going to be there, to support and cheer on my cowboy, even if I would be super anxious the entire time.

When I landed in D.C., I let out a content sigh, feeling excited to be with Amelia. I felt horrible that I hadn't been here when she came back from Africa but I was going to makeup for it. I was going to spend the entire weekend annoying her while I could before we had to part ways again. After I grabbed my bags at baggage claim, I went to rent my rental car, texting Amelia once I was inside of it that I was on the way. I was beyond excited to see her, and anyone could see that from a mile away.

Arriving at hers and Jayden's apartment, I knocked, smiling brightly when Jayden opened the door and took me into a hug. I hugged him back tightly before I pulled away and let him take my luggage, running from the entrance to my best friend who I saw standing in the kitchen. I practically jumped on her with excitement, hugging her so tight and I refused to let go. It felt so relieving to feel her in my arms. It made me realize she made it out of Africa and that's when the tears fell. I couldn't stop myself from crying and I didn't want to. She was all that mattered right now. "I missed you so much. I'm glad you're home. I'm sorry I wasn't there when you got back. I love you so much, Melia."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
Three weeks had passed since I returned from Africa and while I was still adjusting to home, Jayden was a huge help. He took day shifts so I wasn't alone at night because otherwise, I wouldn't sleep. He was also making sure that I was eating and we went out a lot to keep me occupied and out of my thoughts. I truly believed I didn't deserve him. I often wondered how he wandered into my life and managed to stay after the ups and downs we faced before I gave in to his charming nature and let him in. I knew by his actions, this man loved me and that flabbergasted me.

Today Isabel was coming to visit. I was excited to see her after spending so much time apart from each other, but I was still worried that my insecurities were going to get the best of me. I feel guilty for being so honest with you but I didn't know what else to do. When she texted me she arrived safely I smiled lightly before replying.

"Okay, see you soon. I love you."

When she arrived, I was in the kitchen sipping my morning coffee, I slept in today and didn't get up until the last possible second. Really, Jayden pulled me out of bed to get dressed before Isabel showed up. For the first time, I was nervous to see her and it was a strange feeling. Hearing her voice, I felt the same excitement i usually did when I heard her, her voice always brought me peace since most of our friendship was through written word. I knew it was something most people took for granted when they saw someone every day. Letting her and Jayden have their moment, I continued to stare down into the cream ripples in my coffee but when I felt her wrap her arms around me and nearly strangle my petite body I started crying before she did. You're here. I miss you so much. Not letting go of her, I kept a grip on her like a child who was too afraid if they let go she would disappear into thin air. "I love you too," I finally replied when I pulled myself away to look at her, the grin on my face was wide now. "It's been so long, stranger. I'm glad you made it. I don't now what to do no that I have you to myself. What do you want to do?" I asked wiping my own tears from my eyes as I tried to calm down.

Washington D.C.
Isabel

I knew Amelia and I would end up crying. We both missed each other and I we were both aware of how much we had been drifting. I was so happy to be here and it was apparent when we pulled away from our hug with a large smile on my face. Laughing softly, I nodded in agreement when she said it had been so long. "We can do whatever you think. I've never really been around D.C. much so give me a tour when we get the chance?" I asked her, wiping my own tears before I laughed when Jayden made his way into the kitchen. offering to cook for all of us. I was starving, so naturally I agreed but when Amelia and I walked out to the living room, I sighed softly, sitting next to her with my head against her shoulder. "I really have missed you. I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier. How has these three weeks away from home been for you? Has Jayden been nice?" I asked her, giggling when Jade made her way to me, putting her head on my lap. She was a precious dog that I loved with all my heart so naturally I began to pet her head.

Amelia
I ignored Isabel's repeated apologies because I didn't know how to address them. I didn't want to start another uncomfortable conversation between us. Isabel was here for me and that should have been enough, but I still had this unsettling feeling that we weren't the same. Watching her pet Jade, I smiled, knowing I had to reply to her in some way because if I stayed too quiet she would pick at me in the way I didn't want her to. "Jayden's been great, better than I expected actually," I answered honestly. chipping the red nail polish from my short fingernails. "I'm happy to be back, but I decided to break a break for while, I don't know when I'm going back but I need some time to myself." I didn't tell Isabel much more because it didn't feel right. Before she could reply I moved on to talking about our plans for the day. "Well, Jayden's going to work for a double shift since you're here so he'll be gone most of today and tomorrow. After lunch we can go for a walk downtown so you can see all the sites, We can get a bus pass if you want but it's nice out so it won't kill us to walk but it's up to you. Or we can go to one of the museums. I don't know, it's up to you."

Isabel
"Hm, just because I'm here he's picking up a double? Do you not want to spend time with me, Jay?" I asked one of my closest friends, laughing softly when he shook his head and laughed as well. It was fun to tease everyone when they knew me well enough for me to do so. Letting him leave to get ready for work, I turned my attention back to Amelia, smiling as I listened to what she suggested we do. I was looking forward to going around D.C. today but I didn't like how little Amelia was telling me. She's hiding a lot from me. "I'm up for the walk downtown. I don't think we need to get a bus pass, plus you and I know I don't do well with bus transit. Not my thing." Laughing, I sighed contently, looking forward to a relaxing day with my best friend. "Where do you recommend we grab lunch? Do you want to cook or do you have a spot we can enjoy together?"

Amelia
He's taking a double because of me. I'm not working right now and I'm too afraid to be here by myself. I'm more of a burden than anything. "There's a couple places we could go but it depends on what you're in the mood for. You have some time to think about it though since we're walking." Having this casual conversation was exhausting to me. I was always the one to bring up the uncomfortable conversations because Isabel preferred to avoid them, but I couldn't, I knew if I avoided it, it wouldn't solve anything, these feelings wouldn't go away on their own without communicating; but now wasn't the time, not when Isabel just arrived. I didn't want Jayden to leave, but we talked about this and this was a conversation I needed to have with Isabel on my own.

When Jayden left, I stood up wrapping my arms around his neck to give him a tight hug. I was always afraid that whenever he left, this was the last time I would see him and the fear only worsened once I returned from Africa.

"Be careful," I whispered into his ear right before I let him go, kissing his cheek. I knew if I begged him to stay he would agree in half a heartbeat, but I had fight the temptation. It had been three weeks, it was time to lessen my dependency on Jayden, Anyone who knew me, being completely dependent on another person was nothing like me, but I learned trauma really changes a person, and not always for the best. Going almost 24 hours without Jayden was going to make me anxious for most of the time he was gone, but like communicating with Isabel, it was something I had to face. Reality wasn't going to stop for me just because I didn't want to face it anymore.

Once Jayden left I turned back to Isabel giving her the faintest grin, looking out the window in the living room I saw the rain was turning to slush. "I'm going to change first and then we can go," I said to Isabel softly before disappearing into Jayden and I's room. I wasn't surprised when Isabel followed, now that Jayden was gone she wasn't going to be so quiet. Changing into a thicker pink sweater and dark colored jeans with long black, leather boots to match the black-colored knitted cap I took out of the top drawer of my dresser, I searched for my long black coat while Isabel sat at the edge of my bed, staring at me through the mirror.

"What?" I asked impatiently. What do you want to know? I'm not just going to tell you when I feel like it'll burden you too much. Buttoning the coat to real only a little of my sweater I tied the strings around my waist as tightly as it would go. My clothes were still a little big on me and I hadn't bothered to buy smaller sizes because I wanted to gain all my weight back. "Did you decide what you wanted to eat?" I asked while I put the backs of my small silver-hooped earings into my ears. "It's chilly out so I'm assuming you want something hot."

Last edited:
Isabel

"You know what. I want to know everything but I get why you don't want to tell me and it's okay, best friend. I understand and I'm still going to be here no matter what but you telling me isn't a burden. I should've been here when you got back and I'm sorry that I wasn't. I always am and that shouldn't have changed now." I told Amelia gently, not pushing her because I knew that wouldn't help anything. It would only upset her more and I never wanted to do that. Smiling, I got up and grabbed my coat that I had hung on their coat rack. "Hm, I'm always up for some form of soup when it's warm. We could even get some Chinese food. Either one is fine with me. What do you want?" I asked her, following her out of her house and to her car. It was freezing cold in D.C. and when we got into her car, I was thankful. "I still don't understand how a southerner like you can live in such a cold state. I can barley survive in Dallas which is no where near this."

Amelia
Listening to Isabel give her usual apology I took a deep breath, trying to let all my frustration go now that she was here. "It's in the past, Bel," I reminded her, not knowing what else to say to her reminding me she wasn't here when I needed her the most. Giving myself one last glance of approval in the mirror I led her out to the car where I was quick to turn the heater on for her. The winter weather just began the week before but the car still needed time to heat up before we departed. Looking over my shoulder at her, I shrugged at her comment. "I never liked the heat. What are you in the mood for? Because I'm not making the decision when you're the guest." I was doing my best to put a front on for her but I knew it wouldn't last.

When we arrived at the place Isabel chose, I unfolded the napkin and placed it neatly in my lap. "How's Dawson?" I asked blandly. I didn't know what else to ask since he seemed to take up most of her time. I guess I could have asked her about work, but that just reminded me that I wasn't in the field right now and that's the conversation I was painstakingly trying to avoid. I didn't want to be furious at Isabel for not being a part of my grieving process but I didn't understand how she was absent when she knew what I was going through. I knew Jayden had to tell her he was concerned. They were friends before we started dating after all. I knew some days, he didn't know in the least what to do with me. He just wanted me to be the optimistic and charismatic woman he fell in love with, but I knew it was going to be awhile before she emerged again. I hated that I couldn't just be her again, but whenever I tried it was too exhausting. I worried if I stayed in the state of mind I was in for too long he would fall out of love with me. I needed to fix my mentality, but I wasn't sure I was strong enough. I needed something good to happen in my life and so far, everything remained mundane, making it difficult for me to pull myself out of my depressive slump.

Isabel
Hearing Amelia blandly ask about Dawson made me slightly irritated because I knew she had nothing else to ask me. I didn't let it bother me though. I didn't let it ruin the mood, however, because I had something major to tell Amelia. She was going to be the first to know, especially since I found out only recently before coming. I felt like this news is what Amelia needed. I knew she needed something to pull herself out of this depressive slump but I myself wasn't sure what being pregnant would do for Dawson and I. I hadn't told him. We hadn't given children much thought lately. We both knew despite only dating for a year, we were each others soulmate. We were meant to live our lives together and I was excited for it. I just wasn't sure if having a child right now was too soon but we would make it work.

"He's doing good. He's been out at the ranch a lot getting ready for the rodeo. He plans on riding and I can't stop him from that. I can only support him so I'll be at the rodeo next weekend. Can you come? I would really appreciate it." I told Amelia gently. I was so excited to tell Amelia about the baby and I had the perfect way of doing it. When the waitress came and got our drink order, I asked for a sweet tea, letting Amelia order before out waitress walked away. When Amelia didn't day anything else, I smiled at her. "Best friend, I have something to tell you." I knew by the way she looked at me, she was worried but there was nothing to be worried about. Reaching into my purse, I pulled out a wrapped box and handed it to her. "Open this and you'll know." I told her with a bright smile, watching her tear the black wrapping paper to reveal a t-shirt with the words, 'hello Auntie' and underneath it, a coffee mug that said 'Best F*cking Aunt". I knew this would brighten her spirits up a little more than what they were and I sat there, waiting for her reaction. Thankfully, now that she knew, she could help me plan a reveal for Dawson. I didn't know how to tell him yet.

Amelia
Listening to Isabel was hard because truthfully I didn't care to know about Dawson. I was too lost in my own world and was just trying to be my normal, cheerful self, making conversation. Nodding at what Isabel had to say about him I cleared my throat somewhat awkwardly. "I can go if you want me too," I replied almost in a whisper. I don't have work to worry about right now anyways. Not knowing what else to say, I was relieved when the waitress came to take our drink orders. Because this was D.C. "Sweet tea" was tea with a what might as well been a spoon full of sugar. It was not sweet. Because it was cold, I decided I wanted a hot drink to keep me warm so I ordered a hot chocolate. When the waitress left, I noticed the silence return but it wasn't intentional this time, I was just too concentrated on trying to figure out my lunch order. When Isabel spoke, I looked up to her, offering an apologetic look for not speaking. Giving Isabel my full attention my apologetic look soon turned to one of alarm when she confessed she had something to tell me. Almost instantly I felt my anxiety pulsate through my body as I thought of everything possible she could tell me. I of course, favored the worst of the possibilities. What is it? I'm sorry for being so selfish and making myself seem more important than whatever you're going through. How could I be so oblivious? The guilt overwhelmed me.

"What is it?" I asked hesitantly biting my lip as I watched her place a box on the table. What is this? I don't think I want to open it. When Isabel insisted I open the box, I proceeded with anxious caution. I wasn't sure why I was dreading discovering the box's contents but I made sure to take my time opening it. When I did, I forgot how to breathe.

Oh my God.

The tears cascaded down my cheeks before I could form the words I needed to speak.

"Is this real?" I asked in utter disbelief. Given our nature, I at first assumed the shirt and mug to be a joke. Maybe she got another dog. But a feeling of intuition told me this was more than just a joke. "You're pregnant?" I asked setting the gifts aside to take her in my arms.

Last edited:
Isabel
When I saw the tears cascade down Amelia's face, I knew in that moment that she was happy and she would be okay. I knew this news would help nudge her to coming out of her depressive slump and I only hoped her helping me plan everything would too. Chuckling at her question of this being real, I smiled brightly while nodding. "Yes, best friend. This is real. I'm pregnant. I found out before I came and well, you're the first to know." I told her with a bright expression, taking her into a tight hug before I released a content sigh. "I can't wait to find out the gender but we still have awhile. Until then, I would love it if you could help me plan the announcement for Dawson then the gender reveal, then the baby shower. There's so much but I'm looking forward to you being there every step of the way."

Amelia
I had so many questions. Is this what she wanted? Was she ready for this? How would this affect her career? How long did she know? How was she feeling? But I knew none of these questions were appropriate to ask right now. If I bombarded her with my curiosity brought on by my shock it would only overwhelm Isabel and take away from this joyous moment. It wasn't something I wanted to ruin. The answers to my questions would come with time. Right now, I just wanted to be happy for my best friend and know I supported her through this exciting but anxious time in her life. She was entering a chapter of life I had yet to lead the way to: Motherhood. I knew she was going to be an incredible mother when she decided the time was right for her, but I didn't expect it so soon. Regardless that didn't make me any less excited for her. It was in this moment as I held her and refused to let go, I realized just how much of a part I played in her life after I spent the last three weeks doubting it. WIth a new baby on the way, she expected me to take on a lot of the responsibility with her. The most exciting thing about all of it, I was taking on a new role in someone else's life. Being an aunt to Isabel's child was going to be one of my biggest privileges and I looked forward to it for the majority of our friendship. But now that the day of me becoming an aunt to her baby had a deadline a new rush of anticipation overcame me.

"Of course, I'll help you, love," I insisted eagerly when I finally decided to let her go and wipe my own tears from my thin cheeks before I returned to sitting across from her, even though all i wanted to do was continue to embrace her and take in the moment. She didn't have to tell me first. But the fact that she did, reassured how important I was to her.

"I'm so happy for you! When do you want to tell him? Are you going to wait it out?" If she did decide to wait to tell Dawson it would be intriguing to watch Isabel try to keep a secret from the man she planned to spend the rest of her life with. She was a horrible liar.

Isabel
Knowing Amelia was happy for me and willing to help me plan every event that would follow with this news reassured me that everything would be alright. I knew then, our friendship was still strong despite the troubles we went through, which was mainly me thinking I in someway messed things up with her. I always did that. It was normal for me and by now Amelia knew that. She's happy for you. Everything's going to be okay.

"I kinda wanted to tell him at the rodeo next weekend. I thought it would be cute and we both know I cannot wait it out because I am horrible at lying but I need a cute idea if I really am doing this next weekend." I explained to her excitedly. I couldn't wait to tell Dawson. Yeah I was nervous about his reaction but I kept telling myself it would be okay. We had both come to the agreement that we were going to spend the rest of our lives with each other. I just didn't know how this timing would go.

"So any ideas for next weekend? You'll be there so let's be as creative as possible. You can record his reaction! I haven't even told his parents but I know they'll be so excited." Although I know damn well who will not be as excited but fuck her. If she causes a scene, I swear I will fight

Amelia
Looking to Isabel with a knowing smirk, I shook my head. "I'll have to think on it. My creative brilliance needs time to conjure something but I'll handle it. I promise," I reassured her before the waiter returned with our drinks and to take our orders, Not having any time to make a decision because of the bomb Isabel dropped I knew I had to pick something filling or Jayden would kill me later for not eating enough. Though I wasn't really hungry and could have been satisfied with a simple soup I decided on Jayden's usual lunch when we came here together, the chicken panini.

Jayden. Wait until he knew the news about Isabel and Dawson. Isabel and I had been best friends for what felt like our whole lives but Jayden had been friends with both Isabel and Dawson when he noticed they had a mutual attraction. I knew he would be more than excited for the couple at their announcement but I was going to let them tell him. Dawson needed to know first. It was going to be a difficult secret for me to keep myself, but I had to remind myself it was for Isabel, the one person who knew me better than Jayden and for her, keeping this from Jayden was going to be worth it in the end. As Isabel and I chatted excitedly over the news, I kept thinking about Jayden in the back of my mind and of course, another concerning thought birthed itself in the back of my mind where I knew it would stay to haunt me when I was vulnerable and had the time to be weakened by its existence.

Is this going to make Jayden think about the future? Is he going to start thinking about the family I can't give him?

This was Isabel's moment and I wasn't going to ruin it with my own negativity so I pushed the thought aside and forgot about it. For the first time in months I was in the presence of my best friend, laughing and enjoying her company and I just wanted to enjoy all of it after longing for it for so long it hurt, all of this felt like a dream I was too afraid i would wake up from if i tarnished it with my own self-doubt.

"You think I can convince Jayden to move back to Texas?" I asked teasingly. It wasn't a lie that I wanted to be closer to Isabel through all of this, but I knew to pick up my whole life here in D.C. for it would come off as abrupt and unreasonable to anyone who didn't know how much she meant to me, but I wasn't going to do that to Jayden after he moved here for me and started on the force here after years of waiting for the opportunity.

But if by a miracle I do give Jayden a child, I want them to grow up with their cousins.

Isabel
The time spent with Amelia was amazing and well needed. As we continued to converse, I knew we were both very excited about everything that lied ahead. I was ready for everything and even more ready to spread the news. That would come in due time, however. Dawson needed to know first then I could announce it to the rest of the families. Jayden would be the third person to know and I knew Amelia was going to have a hard time keeping this secret from him. Both she and I were horrible at keeping secrets but that's okay.

I wish you could move back to Texas. I could never tell Amelia that. She and Jayden just started their lives in D.C. not too long ago. Let's not forget that Jayden is also still waiting for the day he and Amelia get Lincoln all to themselves. I did want Amelia closer, and I wanted her to have her kids soon so they could grow up with mine, but I knew it would be okay and that we would make it work no matter the distance. We were good at that. Always have been from the start.

"Hm, I'm sure you could convince him. He wouldn't be opposed to it, I know that for sure. Plus, having y'all closer would be nice." I said, singing the last part of that sentence for a playful effect. "I really don't know how Dawson will react and that worries me." I whispered to her softly, releasing a gentle sigh.

Amelia
"Best friend, I'm sure he'll be just as excited, but, he'll have to fight me for the baby," I teased again. I missed you. There were days in Africa when I didn't know if I would ever get the chance to see Isabel again. The thought was enough to make me start crying again but I pushed it aside. Even though Isabel broke the tension between us with this news, my trauma was still something I wanted to avoid, especially now. I wasn't going to make this about me. I knew Dawson would be just as caught off guard but he wouldn't take the news in a negative way. Dawson's first priority for as long as I knew him was his family and now that he was starting one with Isabel I had confidence he would take on the responsibility with nothing but pride. I knew Dawson would take care of my best friend the way she deserved.

"You have nothing to worry about when it comes to Dawson, you know that."

After lunch, I took Isabel to all the important spots downtown that she wanted to see, I even surprised her with the museum we only ever talked about going to in the past. The Newseum. It was my new mission to make the most of the weekend we had together. After a busy afternoon of sightseeing, shopping and taking pictures, we decided to find somewhere to have dinner.

While trying to decide a text from Jayden came through asking us what we were up to.

"Looking for food, Do you have time to join us, officer?" I replied with a smile for the first time in a while. I assumed because he was asking, Jayden was taking his break in between shifts. Before he had a free moment to reply I texted him again. "if you're coming you can pick because we can't decide as usual. But no seafood, we already ruled that one out."

Jayden
My shifts were rather easy today. I was about to go on my break between my day shift and going into my night shift, but I was starving so I decided to send Amelia a text, asking her what she and Isabel were up to. I smiled at the text I received, thinking about where the three of us could go to eat. I knew Amelia and Isabel were so indecisive so I settled on a place that has pizza and wings for all of us. I knew they wouldn't be opposed to it, especially that dynamic duo.

"Okay. Let's meet up for some pizza and wings? DC Pizza. I'll meet y'all there." After sending the text, I got in the patrol car I was using, going to the restaurant where I got us a table and waited for the duo. I told Amelia I got us a table and when they arrived, I smiled brightly at them. I stood up, taking Amelia into a hug before I kissed her gently, hugging Isabel soon after. "Hey there, Texan. It's been awhile. What did I miss?"

Isabel
When we arrived, I laughed softly at Jayden who was quick to greet us. I missed him just as much as I missed Amelia and I was excited to be able to grab dinner with him before his next shift. "Hey Northerner. Do you feel right at home being back up here?" I asked him with a laugh, sitting down with him and Amelia after we exchanged hugs. Pulling my seat closer, I smiled gently. "You haven't missed much. Just taking on some more assignments and getting ready mentally for the rodeo next weekend. Your wonderful rodeo friend Dawson plans on riding and I can't tell him not to." Sigh, I really wish he wouldn't but it's okay. Just gotta go and support, Isabel.

Amelia
I was thankful that Jayden knew how to make little decisions on the spot because I was never good at it. I couldn't understand why because when it came to bigger decisions, I had no hesitation in deciding for the future. But somehow, deciding what to eat always managed to stump me in my day-to-day life. Agreeing to meet Jayden at the place he picked, Isabel and I happily made our way inside, already set on the wings we would be ordering while we watched Jayden down an entire pizza to himself while complaining thin crust was still inferior to his beloved deep-dish. I knew him well. He drove me crazy at times, but his playful bickering always kept things interesting.

When we arrived, I nearly squealed when I set my gaze on him. Today is a good day. I thought while I returned his gentle kiss, taking a seat across from him and next to Isabel, listening to the two friends catch up with one another. When Isabel once again mentioned Dawson riding in the rodeo I shook my head, looking over from the menu to glare at her.

"I don't understand why you're so against him riding?" I asked in more of a question than a direct statement. I did notice the thought of Dawson being in the rodeo made Isabel more uneasy than it had in the past when he mentioned his riding to her. Why though? I wondered.

"He supports all of your decisions, even when they are dangerous. Riding is safer than---" stopping myself I looked over to Jayden and waved my hand at him to look away. "Cover your ears justice keeper!" I teased before I pulled the menu over my face to whisper to Isabel the rest of my sentence. "It's safer than trying to make friends with drug lords. Be nice. He'll be okay," I said before i gave her a side hug and set the menu back down, smiling innocently at Jayden's look of suspicion.

"What? You didn't hear anything so now you won't have a guilty conscious. I saved you. You're welcome, lieutenant."

When the waiter came over I volunteered to go first on my drink order, saving Isabel from having to make an excuse for Jayden as to why she wasn't drinking, I decided to opt out myself and just ordered a soda. I knew I wouldn't finish it, but tea was still out of the question. I needed to go back down south to get my fill soon.

"Can I just get a Coke please? (You know, like the regular kind. The rest of the south calls it.) I asked politely offering a smile while to the waiter.

"You got it, beautiful. Can I get you anything else?"

Yikes.

"That's it, thanks," I answered not making eye contact with him again. I couldn't help but laugh into Isabel's shoulder when he walked away, Well that was embarrassing.

It wasn't the first time someone flirted with me since I left the singles station, but it was the first time someone did it in front of Jayden

Jayden
When I heard what our waiter said to Amelia, I swear I saw the color red. Not in a horrible manner, or overly aggressive way, but it was enough to cause me to get annoyed with him. Who did he think he was calling my girlfriend beautiful? I knew she was more than that, but he didn't have a right to say that. He was flirting and I didn't like it. I couldn't help by roll my eyes when he moved onto Isabel's drink order than my own. When he walked away, I gave Amelia a look, taking her hand in mine over the table so he would know Amelia was taken.

"So what did you two do today? Anything exciting happen?" I asked them, smiling when Isabel filled me in on their shopping and sightseeing adventures in D.C. I had fun listening to the duo tell me about their day but when we were interrupted once more by the waiter, I held Amelia's hand, refusing to let go, letting Isabel order her wings first before I ordered my pizza. I refused to let the waiter get to me but he was still flirting with Amelia and it made me beyond annoyed.

Isabel
After ordering my wings, I laughed at Jayden, noticing he was trying to get our waiter to understand he and Amelia were a thing. "Ya know Jayden, I think our waiter doesn't care if you and Amelia are actually together. He just seems to keep giving her compliments and the annoyance in your face is something I find funny." I told him with a laugh, taking a sip of my coke before we continued conversing. When I felt my phone vibrate, I smiled when I saw Dawson had sent me a text. I replied right away before putting my phone down to keep conversing. "Hola, Amor. How's your show going? I love you."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
When I saw Jayden's reaction to the harmless flirting my embarrassment only festered. I was just trying to enjoy my dinner. When Jayden took my hand I couldn't help but giggle and shake my head.

"Babe, let it go," I whispered trying to take my hand back, not wanting the scene to escalate when the waiter returned. When he came back I looked to him with the same smile when he directed his attention back to me, setting my cup down in front of me before he asked my order. It wasn't until he walked away that I gawked at the napkin he set my drink on. A phone number. Double yikes. Not drawing attention to it, I just sipped my drink causally, scolding Isabel with another glare when she teased Jayden about the scene.

"Knock it off you two," I said trying to keep my embarrassed blushing at bay. I just want my food.

Changing the subject, I turned back to Jayden. I hadn't seen him all day and wanted to talk to him before he left for another twelve-hour shift.

"How's your day? Anything exciting happen yet?"

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
Since Amelia returned I could sense Isabel was stressed about what seemed to be a strain in the two's friendship. I could tell by her lack of interest in conversation something was wrong. When she finally broke down and confided in me about her worry about her best friend, I did what I thought was the obvious solution. I told her to go see Amelia and work things out. The two were better at maintaining their friendship despite the distance than I expected but nevertheless, the two were both still humans who let their emotions get the best of them from time to time.

Despite the suggestion, Isabel was notorious for being stubborn and I worried she wouldn't take the time to go see Amelia, making matter worse between them. When she told me she was spending the weekend with her best friend, I was excited for both of them. Not wanting to intrude on their weekend, I tried not to text Isabel too much, only in the morning and once at night to check in.

"Hi, my love. I hope you're enjoying your weekend."

I didn't expect her to reply right away but when she did I couldn't help the grin that smeared itself across my face.

"The show went well I just missed having a certain photographer. The rest only get my bad side. How's your weekend so far?"

Last edited:
Washington D.C.
Jayden
I knew Amelia didn't want to start anything with my simple but also not subtle move of holding her hand whenever the waiter was around. I didn't mean to make it seem like a big deal, I was just messing around, but I rolled my eyes when I heard what Isabel said. Amelia beat me in responding to that comment before I could. Chuckling softly, I had to admit the photojournalist was right, but that didn't mean I couldn't continue showing him Amelia was my girlfriend.

"Mm, nothing worth mentioning. It's been pretty slow today but that's a good thing. It seems like you and Isabel had a lot of fun today. What's exciting is that our waiter slipped his number on the napkin under your drink." When Amelia blushed from embarrassment, I chuckled again before I shook my head, leaning over to kiss her gently. "You're cute when you're flustered." I whispered to her truthfully, before I sat back in my seat with a bright smile, shaking my head when I noticed Isabel laughed about the situation. "Do you find this amusing, Anes?"

Isabel
When I felt my phone vibrate again, I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face and how giddy I felt inside. I loved whenever his responses were quick. I missed him but after breaking down with him about how I felt regarding mine and Amelia's friendship, I knew this is where I needed to be. I had grown to think she and I were drifting, and I hated it. Being here has helped us both realize we're still a very significant part of each others lives. That's all that I could ask for.

"Well, of course every other photographer gets your bad side. They're not me." I responded teasing before I sent another text. "It's really good. Amelia and I went sightseeing and shopping today. Right now we're eating dinner with Jayden since he has a break before his next shift. Don't forget to check on Apollo please! Te amo mucho!"

After sending the last response to Dawson, I looked up at the couple I was with, laughing softly as I watched the whole scene transpire. They were precious and I knew Jayden was only messing around with Amelia to fluster her some more. "I find it very amusing. Our waiter is so brave putting his number on that napkin, knowing y'all are a thing. I give him props." I teased, thanking god when our food arrived because I was hungry and ready to dig into some wings. "So you two love birds, how's D.C. been treating y'all?"

Amelia
Shrugging my shoulders at Isabel's question I dived into my wings, doing my best to not make a mess. Usually, I preferred the hottest wings a place could offer but today I was in a barbecue mood so I gave into the craving. "Work's good." Or well it was. "We're good. So I think it's good but we don't really spend much time here," I answered honestly. Most of our free days were spent with Lincoln in Chicago or in Florida with my sister. She had been married for a year now and was the proud mom of two. Leah was two and her brother, Adian was precious, only two months old.

I would have spent more time in Texas with Isabel but between our complicated and not-so-ordinary work schedules and me not wanting to intrude on her relationship, I hadn't recently. I had a lot of time to make up for in the next year and I was excited about it. I wanted to be there for all of her important moments leading up to the day where she became a mother.

In planning, I thought when I got a position at The Post I would climb up the news ladder for a couple years before I transferred again, the D.C. move was never supposed to be a permanent thing after all, and when Jayden and I became serious, we agreed he would do the same at the police department and after a couple years, we would decide the next move. However, I learned the hard way, sometimes, plans have to change.

When Lincoln became a part of our picture, the plans I had for Jayden and I shifted to plans for the three of us. Once Lincoln was Jayden's, I didn't see us lasting too long here. It wasn't a place to raise kids. D.C. was a place for career-driven people, which we were, but family came first and even though Jayden and I were still just dating, I wanted Lincoln to have a home just as much as Jayden did. Ultimately, the decision was up to Jayden what we did when Lincoln was his, not to mention, I never mentioned leaving when that time came, because I could see Jayden was happy where he was and that's what mattered for right now. He made it clear he didn't want to go back to Chicago, but that's as much as I knew from his end.

In short, D.C. was what we both hoped it would be for our careers, but I didn't see us staying here for as long as we originally planned.

"How's Texas? I miss it. I'm ready to go home with you, I think these northerners are getting to me and I need an out before it's too late."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back