• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love: Draft Three

Washington D.C

Jayden
"Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. You'll never know." I told her with a playful laugh, pulling up to the ordering speaker when the time came. What I heard her say made my whole body turn warm, and I gave her a grin before shaking my head. I released a chuckle before I sighed softly. I leaned over, kissing her gently before biting her bottom lip, winking when I pulled away. "Chicken sandwich, coffee and a water coming up. Sure you don't just want to head home and enjoy each other instead?" I asked her softly, laughing when I saw her face. I quickly pulled away and began ordering before she could say anymore. I missed this.

After ordering everything Amelia asked for, I also ordered a slice of the banana nut bread and just a straight cup of coffee. I liked drinking mine black with one pack of sugar. Creamer wasn't the best in my opinion. Looking at Amelia's debit card, I rolled my eyes, moving her hand back over to her lap before I reached into my back pocket to grab my wallet. I took out my card, handing it to the barista so that she could run it. Thanking her when she handed it back to me, I put my wallet to the side before I took the coffees given to me, handing Amelia hers before I set mine in the cupholder between the two of us. "What do you want me to make for dinner tonight?" I asked her as I waited for our snacks to be ready and given to me. When they were, I handed Amelia hers once again before I rolled up my window, driving back into traffic-filled streets, heading to Amelia's apartment.

Dallas, Texas

Isabel
"Mm, not that I can remember." I told Dawson gently, leaning into him with a content sigh. I loved how he didn't urge me to move out of the rain and back inside. He used to despise such gloomy days like today, but I think I managed to make him look at them through a different lens. He came around to the idea of me loving this weather and he witnessed first hand how calm and peaceful the rain was for me. What we're still working on though, is him being okay with being out and about in the rain. "What about we go grab some dinner? Wherever you want, unless you want to make me that home cooked meal you've been avoiding." I said with a laugh, watching the rest of Dallas stay busy. Gasping, I sat up at a sudden realization. "Can we get bubble tea today though? Pleaseeeee. I promise I won't ask for anything ever again." He knew that was a lie, but I was craving milk tea. I wasn't sure which flavor I wanted but I could decide that when we got to the café.

Washington D.C.

Amelia
“We are going home after this so I don’t know what you mean,” I said softly before taking both the coffee and the water. I downed the large water in a few compulsive gulps. Water never tasted so refreshing. “You still drink your coffee like that? Gross. I’m not kissing you.” It feels good to be home.

After eating my sandwich and drinking my coffee, I took the longest shower of my life, by the time I was finished the bottom of my shower wa muddy brown, but I left it for now, too tired to clean it. I was still too over the moon to be out of such s dangerous situation. I knew none of my clothes were going to fit me so I just decided to wear one of my old college sweaters and s pair of sweatpants I could tighten with the draw string. When I walked out of my room I was greeted with the smells of pizza and I couldn’t help but smile. I was content to know Jayden was with me but when I heard Lincoln’s voice I ran to make it into the FaceTime frame.

“My baby! I missed you!!” I exclaimed in a gasp. I still wished he was here with us. “I’m sorry I missed your championship. I love you so much! Was your daddy nice to you while I was gone?” I asked playfully glaring at Jayden for an answer while I searched for medication for my aching body and smiled when I realized Jayden had already laid it all out on the counter.

Dallas, Texas

Dawson
“We can do whatever you want love, I came home to be with you. I could care less what we do but I need to change first. I think if I stay like this you won’t like all the attention I’ll get,” I replied with a playful wink before I took her hand and led her back inside, petting Apollo as I passed him. He was curious pup who always needed to be at his mother’s side when she was home “I could go for some Alfredo though if that’s alright with you?”

Washington D.C.

Jayden
I was more than happy to have Amelia back home with me. I knew this month and the story she told needed to be done but knowing she was safe in the comfort of D.C. made me the happiest man alive. When she went to take a shower, I lingered in the kitchen. I wanted to make a dinner I knew both Amelia and I would enjoy, so I opted to make pizza. I loved when she cooked it for me the first time. I still remember how impressed I was when she did. It was as if all the flavors were compacted in one bite, but this became our favorite dish, and I thought it was fitting considering Amelia had just gotten back home.

While Amelia continued to soak in the shower, I heard my phone go off. I knew it was my sister, or to be exact, Lincoln. He knew Amelia was coming home today and I bet he wanted to see her. I know he really missed having her in Chicago for his championship game but he understood she was working. "Hey there, Champ. What you been up to over there?" I asked him curiously, laughing softly when I saw his smile grow big and bright.

"I've just been hanging out with Aunt Tory! We haven't done much other than relax now that the season is over." I heard him explain, smiling gently as he continued to ramble. What made me the happiest was the expression I saw in his face when he heard Amelia call out to him. Hearing his excited gasp was enough for me to chuckle.

Chicago, Illinois

Lincoln
"Melia! I missed you so much. It's okay that you didn't make it. We didn't win anyways but dad says I played really well!" I exclaimed to Amelia. I really wished I was in Washington with them. I loved them both and sometimes being in Chicago with just my Aunt Tory was boring. I loved her with all my heart but I couldn't wait for the day I could be with dad and Amelia nonstop. "I love you more! Dad behaved. He didn't yell at my coaches or the umpire this time. He did take me to get some amazing food afterwards! I want to take you there whenever you and dad come back.

Dallas, Texas

Isabel
"Hm, you really think you would get a lot of attention? I don't think you would." I teased, sticking out my tongue playfully before I let him lead me back inside the warmth and safety of my apartment. Smiling at Apollo when he quickly rushed over, I laughed softly, watching him jump up for Dawson's attention. "Alfredo sounds lovely right now." I responded, already thinking about the wonderful Italian food I would be eating soon. Before then, however, I wanted to shower.

When Dawson and I stepped into my room, I pulled him closer against me by pulling his shirt, smiling gently before I unbuttoned it, leaning my head upward so that I could kiss him. Kissing him passionately, I bit down on his bottom lip, throwing his shirt to the side. "Mm, meet me in the shower?" I asked him, stripping myself of his jacket before I took off my thin long sleeve, leaving a trail of clothes towards the bathroom. I turned on the shower, letting it warm up to a decent temperature before I got in, waiting to see if Dawson would follow suit or not.

Last edited:
Washington D.C.
Amelia
"Okay, handsome, we can go next time. I promise, but I find it hard to believe your dad made it through a championship well behaved. How's school? What are you learning?" I asked taking the medicine before I reached for the honey-roasted peanuts that were on the counter. Now that I was home all I wanted to do was eat. I knew I needed to gain all my weight back. Since Jayden and I moved in together he made up for all the things I was bad at, grocery shopping being one of my many neglected tasks but he never got angry with me for falling behind at home because of how much of my energy went into work. We both had demanding jobs, but we still managed to make it work between us.

Still being exhausted from my long day of travel, I sat down at the kitchen table and watched Jayden finish cooking our dinner while I took the phone to talk to Lincoln, catching my yawn before he could see it.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
Isabel knew how to press my buttons and she sure knew how to press her favorite one. Damn you. I thought as I felt her fingers lightly graze my chest while she unbuttoned my wet shirt. You're such a tease. Before she could completely pull away from me, pretending like she wasn't testing me, I pulled her body back towards me, leaving not even an inch gap between us before I returned her 'playful' kiss, reasserting the dominance I knew she was looking for before I let her go gently, not walking in to join her until I knew she wouldn't be anticipating my arrival anymore. There was no need to say anything, my smirk was enough dialogue for the both of us as the warm water cascaded over the two of us. You didn't really want to go to dinner, you just wanted me.

Chicago, Illinois
Lincoln
"School is going good. In math, we started learning about fractions and I hate them! Dad keeps saying it's not that hard but it is. Do you think it's hard, Melia?" I asked her curiously, watching my dad move around in the kitchen as he made dinner. I wish I was there so I could eat dinner with them. I missed dad's and Amelia's cooking. "When can I go back to D.C. and see you again?" I couldn't wait until then. I wanted to be with them already. I loved my Aunt Tory but I didn't understand why I couldn't go home with my dad.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
I loved pressing Dawson's button. It was like a fun hobby for me and I don't think I will ever stop pressing them anytime soon. Oh? You decided to join after all, huh? Looks like it worked. Giggling softly when Dawson made his appearance, I smiled at him when I saw his smirk. The silence wasn't unsettling, but rather comforting. As the water cascaded over us, I kissed him again, not saying a single word. Gosh, I missed you.

After our shower, I went to the room so I could get dressed. I put on my silk robe after I dried off, tying it at the waist so it could stay on. I had my hair up in a towel so it could dry properly. I walked to my closet, sighing softly as I looked at all the options of clothing to chose from. Considering it was raining, heels were out of the picture. I could wear my rain boots. Nodding to myself, I grabbed my rainboots, putting them on my bed before I went back to pull out a pair of jeans, a black and white sweater, and my red raincoat. Setting it all on the bed, I got dressed, giggling softly when I saw Dawson had already finished getting ready for our dinner date. "I just need to do my hair and put some lipstick on. It won't take me long." I told him softly, walking past him as I sat at my vanity, taking out the towel from my hair so that I could brush it. I noticed Dawson watching through the mirror. He did this often and it always brought a smile to my face. "Can I help you, Six?" I asked him curiously, brushing out the tangles my curls managed to form, wincing here and there when one hurt.

Washington D.C.
Amelia
"Don't listen to your dad, fractions are very hard, he's just really good at everything and we aren't all that lucky. But don't give up, remember, practice makes progress You're really smart, I think you could be just like your dad if you tried hard enough," I whispered with a playful grin before my expression soon turned blank. I hated when Lincoln asked when he could come back, not because I didn't want him to come, but because he shouldn't have to ask. He should already be here, with us. Sighing, I looked over to Jayden before I answered. "I don't know Linc, that's something your dad and Aunt Tory need to talk about. But when you do come, I'll make sure we have lots of fun, okay? Maybe if you do good on your fractions we can do something cool but that's still up to your dad. He's the boss." I never intruded on Jayden's decisions about Lincoln because it wasn't my place to intrude. Jayden was the parent I was just his moral support whenever he needed me to be. Jayden knew I supported him in every decision he had to make about his son and he knew I loved them both but I also respected the fact that when it came to Lincoln, that was still a Jayden decision and not an our decision.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
This woman is increbible. I always loved to watch Isabel in the smallest moments, because even then, she carried herself with a grace I had never seen before. I wasn't sure what it was or how she managed it, but the glow that always seemed to embody her always struck my attention, making it impossible for me to take my eyes off of her when we were in the same room. I loved her. God, I hate when you call me by that dumb nickname, but after what you just pulled in the shower, you know you can get away with it. Six is the number stitched into my Blue Angel's uniform and after our first date, Isabel started referring to me by it as a way to pay tribute to my own cockiness, Being number six in the formation was a great pleasure, it meant that I had superior skill compared to the rest and I was proud of that, but now that we were together, and Isabel knew who I really was, I wasn;t too fond of the nickname.

"You can help me understand why you're still getting dressed to go out. I thought that was cancelled since you got what you wanted out of me," I replied with a smirk, rubbing my mouth with my index finger and my thumb before I approached the vanity and kissed her neck, Letting my mouth linger by her ear before I pulled away. "But I guess, if you want to go, that's okay too." I said, shrugging my shoulders casually with my hands in my jeans pockets.

Last edited:
Chicago, Illinois
Lincoln

I never liked when Amelia always said she didn't know when I was able to go visit them. I loved Chicago but D.C. was so cool! Plus, I began hating the constant going back and forth. I had my dad and Amelia. I didn't understand why I couldn't live with them. Sighing, I simply nodded at what Amelia said. "Okay. I hope I get to go back soon." I said with a smile, looking at my dad when he came back into the picture. Hearing him tell me he and Aunt Tory would talk about it made me upset but I let it go. "Melia, when I go visit, can we go see the cherryblossoms? Will they be in bloom already?"

Washington D.C.
Jayden

I knew Linc was more than ready to be in D.C. with Amelia and I. I knew my son wanted nothing more than to live under the same roof but we still had another two years before that could happen. I myself was starting to hate the going back and forth. I wanted Lincoln here just as much as he wanted to be here. Smiling softly at Amelia, I nodded as a thank you for the what she told him. Ever since she became a major part of my life, she never intruded on matters that revolved around Lincoln. I didn't mind if she did but I also knew why she didn't and I respected her for it. Walking over, I smiled at my son who smiled brightly. "I'll get with your Aunt Tory and see when we can get you back over here." I told him gently, knowing that wasn't a response he wanted to hear. Sighing gently, I kissed the top of Amelia's head, taking in the scent of apples and cinnamon in order to calm myself. I needed to breathe. I let Lincoln continue talking with Amelia until Tory said it was time for them to head out for dinner. Amelia and I told Lincoln goodbye, saying how much we loved him before the call ended. I released a deep sigh, putting my head on Amelia's shoulder. "I wish he was here already." I whispered softly, closing my eyes to collect my emotions before proceeding to the kitchen once more. "Dinner's almost ready, my love."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

I gasped to act as though what Dawson said offended me, even if it didn't. "I'm offended you think that's all I wanted out of you. That was just a bonus. I'm starving though, and I know you wanted pasta, so I assumed we were still going to dinner." I told him with a shrug, smiling gently when he walked closer and planted a soft kiss against my neck. Releasing the breath I was holding, I set my brush down before turning to face him, smiling brightly. "You're the one who said you wanted Chicken Alfredo." I told him with a shrug, "Plus, you promised me bubble tea!" Giggling, I finished brushing my black hair, parting it so it could curl however my curls decided they wanted to today. I put on a rosy lipstick, standing once I finished getting ready. "Are ya ready, Handsome?"

Washington D.C.
Amelia
Seeing the frustration from both Jayden and Lincoln about their separation, it broke my heart. It wasn't fair to either of them when it was quite apparent Jayden was competent to take care of his son and they were no longer strangers, but I was helpless in the situation. I knew how the court worked and I knew they just had to be patient until Lincoln was considered old enough to speak for himself, but I hated knowing there wasn't much I could do to help. When Jayden leaned into me, I cupped his chin with my hand and kissed his cheek. "I know," I whispered before he pulled away. One day. I thought while I followed him into the kitchen wrapping my arms around his neck from behind and resting my head into his back. "I missed you," I whispered in the softest tone. After the long month I just endured, the only place I wanted to be was where I was in this moment. My next thought almost brought me to tears but I knew it was the truth. Even as a journalist I knew when I needed to step away for awhile. "I need to take a break," I confessed in a heavy breath when Jayden turned around to look at me. He was now a part of all my decisions and this was a big one. I needed time to decompress after the horrendous reality I just invited myself into wthout knowng how horrific it was going to be. Nothing can prepare you for that.

Dallas,Texas
Dawson
"Oh please, you're far from offended, missy. But you're right, a promise is a promise," I said in agreement sitting on the edge of her bed while she finished getting ready for our night out. Unable to help myself I saw the letters from Amelia laying on the bed and smiled at her handwriting. It was just as tiny as she was. I wondered what she was up to out there in Africa, Isabel didn't talk about it much and I never felt it was m place to ask too many questions, but it intrigued me her best friend spent so much time in places urbanized people typically ran away from. Looking up at Isabel when she stood i smiled, taking her hands as I stood. "Yes, I could eat a horse, but I don't think Dad would appreciate that."

Washington D.C.
Jayden

I was grateful to have Amelia during times of frustration and hurt. She was the only person in the world who could calm me down, just by her presence. I was glad she was back home. I missed her so much while she was always. The month she was in Africa, I worried about her safety, but now that she was back home under our roof and my protection meant I could keep her safe. When I felt her wrap her arms around my neck and put her head against my back, I smiled gently, looking out in the living room when I heard her speak gently. "I missed you too, Amelia. So much." I whispered to her gently, blinking in shock when I heard what she said next. She wants to take a break? I never thought I would hear the love of my life say that, but she did. I couldn't even begin to fathom what it was like in Africa for her. I couldn't imagine what she went through or try to understand, but what I could do as her significant other was support her in this decision. I knew the light of my life needed this break considering she was the one who brought it up. "Okay. Have you spoke to your editors about it?" I asked her softly, turning around so that I was leaning against the counter. I took her face into my hands, stroking her cheeks with my thumbs. "I support your decision to take a break. I can't begin to understand what you went through and I know you wouldn't bring this up unless you absolutely meant it. I just want you to take the time to yourself and decompress. I'll be here through it all." I reassured her with a gentle but loving kiss on the lips, kissing her forehead before I pulled away to take the pizza out of the oven. "Do you want to take a vacation trip? We haven't taken a trip just for us yet."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

"I don't think he would either." I told my dashing pilot with a gentle giggle, walking out of my apartment with him to his car, sighing contently as I let the leather seats comfort me. My back had been hurting recently and it could be because of the constant wearing of heels, I wasn't entirely sure. "Do you have anything exciting coming up, Six?" I asked him curiously, noticing him roll his eyes at the use of his nickname. I knew now, after a year of dating, he hated when I used it. It was still fun to throw away here and there. Plus, he already knew I loved him for who he was, who I got to know and cherish, not his rank with the Blue Angels or the fact that his last name is Covington, although I wouldn't mind taking his last name anytime in the future. I felt it in my heart this man driving us to our favorite Italian restaurant was meant to be my forever, and I couldn't wait for the day I get to say 'I do'.

When we arrived to the restaurant, I was the first to step out of the car, too eager for the pasta to wait for Dawson to be open my door for me. Smiling gently, I took his hand in my own when we walked to the entrance. Dawson and I are considered regulars at this restaurant, so when the usual hostess, Linda, saw us, she was quick to sit us despite the business of the restaurant. Sighing contently as I sat down in out usual booth, I smiled at Dawson when he sat across from me. I missed him so much while he was away but before I could even start up a conversation, I heard someone say Dawson's name. Looking in the direction of the masculine voice, I smiled gently when I realized who it was: Levi. Levi and Dawson were friends from the womb, their families being really close and all. I didn't fancy Levi. There was just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way but I never told Dawson that. I didn't feel like I had a right to express my opinion on someone he's known his entire life.

"Always a pleasure, Isabel." Levi said with the nod of his head, to which I simply plastered a smile, acting as though I enjoyed his presence. "Hello again, Levi. What're you doing in the heart of the city? Nothing in Fort Worth keeping you busy?" I asked, a little too sharp then I intended. Levi knew I didn't like him, but that never meant he left me alone whenever he came to visit my pilot.

"The rodeo's coming up and everyone's wondering if you're going to ride this year. I know Brett already plans on it, but that's to be expected, it's his livelihood." The brunette with deep green, almost like emerald eyes, said. If we're being honest, I tuned out most of the conversation up until I heard a more feminine voice call out to Dawson. This woman, she made my blood boil. All I wanted to do was enjoy my dinner with Dawson, but I guess that's too much to as for. Groaning to myself, I smiled when I heard her address me, saying my hellos and keeping a smile on my face. I didn't argue when the two asked if they could join us. I simply moved over against the wall, watching Dawson do the same so that both could sit with us. I didn't talk much. I never knew what to talk about whenever people from Dawson's life came to converse with us. I stuck out like a needle in a haystack compared to them. I wasn't born and raised on a ranch. I didn't grow up learning how to shoot a bow or ride a horse. I lived more of a city life compared to them, which is so far from the truth. I let my insecurities drown my thoughts, consuming me as all three Fort Worth natives conversed, but their conversation was merely a blur to me. I don't feel good. Panic. Anxiety. Help. I wasn't pulled out of my thoughts until I heard that ugly woman address me again. I only wish I actually heard what she asked me. "I'm sorry, I zoned out for a bit. What did you say?" I asked, typing an SOS message to Amelia under the table once I knew our thread was open.

"Anchor. Anchor. ANCHOR. Anxiety is kicking in. Distract me."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
"A trip to where?" I asked curiously looking up to Jayden in acute excitement. The only vacations we took so far as a couple were to see family or with Lincoln, so getting the chance to spend quality time with Jayden was definitely appealing. I didn't care where we went really, I just needed to go someplace new to clear my head for awhile before I could muster up the courage to face reality again. While Jayden plated our dinner, I refilled my water bottle, jumping at the sound of my personal cell phone vibrating against the marble countertop. Looking over at it I was quick to pick it up once I saw who it was and what she had to say. Isabel. Oh no. What's wrong? Since I landed I didn't have the chance to talk to her, I just told her I made it home safely to which she responded with our panicked safe word we used to get out of any dire situation. Sighing heavily I let go of the fact we barely spoke in the past month because what was more important was the fact that she needed me.

"Hi best friend, breathe. What's wrong?"

Washington D.C.
Jayden

"Hm, anywhere you want. We can go to Seattle or maybe Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see." I asked her softly, looking over to her when we both heard her personal phone go off. I already knew from the tone of the notification that it was Isabel, and I knew with the way Amelia was quick to respond, it was important. Isabel probably called anchor and I would ask Amelia about it later. While she responded to her best friend, I prepared our plates for dinner. I put both of our own personal pizzas on their own plate, setting them on the table before I walked up behind Amelia and hugged her gently, taking in her scent before I kissed her neck. "Is Isabel alright? Dinner's at the table, hun." I told her gently, leading her over to the dinning room table where I sat down beside her, ready to devour this homemade pizza.
Dallas, Texas
Isabel

When I felt my phone vibrate, I knew Amelia had texted back. I was grateful that she did because I was losing my mind sitting her at this table. Okay, to tell the truth, I may be overreacting. I just couldn't stop myself from calling anchor when my insecurities got the best of me. Especially with her here. Releasing a sigh, I glanced down at the response, thanking Amelia in my head for being there even though she just got back from Africa. I felt bad that I pulled anchor within her being back for a few hours.

"She's here. Her and Levi. I may just be overreacting but ugh, I can't help myself. Save me."

Looking up when Dawson called out to me, I blinked, confused because I didn't know what was said between the others. "Yes?" I asked him, gritting my teeth when I heard what she had to say. "Man, you're just interesting. You're always zonin' out. Are you sure you're alright?" It took a lot out of me to stop myself from rolling my eyes. As if you really care. All you care about is Dawson. "I'm fine, I promise. It's just been a busy couple of weeks. Sorry for zoning out so much. What were y'all talking about?" I smiled, grin and bared it all. I didn't want to be sitting so close to her but I had to for the remainder of this dinner.

I was thankful our waiter came with out drinks because the minute the glass of wine was in front of me, I reached for it so I could take a sip. Releasing a gentle sigh, I set it back down on the table, letting everyone order before I did. After I ordered and handed back the menu, I grimaced when Josie asked me how work was going. "I know you're living it up in the city. We all know being here is much more up your alley. It wouldn't hurt if y'all came to visit us from time to time." I hated her. I hated her so much and how she was constantly looking at MY pilot. "So, Isabel, I heard you've never been to a rodeo. I hope you let Dawson ride if he decides to." Smiling, I just responded as lightly as I could. "You're right, I've never really been to a rodeo but I'm looking forward to going this year. Of course I'll be there to support Dawson if riding is what he decides to do."

Washington D.C.
Amelia

“You did not just use the worst pickup line in pathetic man history on me,” I playfully snarled at Jayden before I was interrupted again by Isabel. I hated being this far when she was as distressed as she was. Biting my lip I was quick to reply again.

“I’ll call you, give me two minutes.”

Looking over to Jayden I gave him the look that told him what he needed to know. She needs me. “I’ll be right back.” Squeezing his shoulders before I walked out onto the balcony, holding the phone in my hand. I knew when I called Isabel it was going to have to sound legitimate for Dawson not to get suspicious. I was going to have to make this about me. I was going to have to be upset. Cry. Taking a deep breath, I let myself go back into my thoughts, a place I was trying to keep myself out of. I knew it wouldn’t take long for me to break down if I did. I thought about those children being stolen from their mothers and killing their siblings, I thought about all the kids dying of hunger after being separated from their families to kill, their dead bodies being left out in the sun to rot and become a decomposition of the elements. I remembered a child killing another of a different tribe as if he was just brushing his teeth; the thought of what was supposed to be an innocent soul being unphased by taking a life and brushing the coat of blood off of his dark arms like it was water, burned my core, and before I even had a chance to catch a distraught breath, I called Isabel, whispering a helpless hello when she answered. I wish I could unsee what I saw but I can’t. “Best friend,” I whispered in a shuttered breath,”I need you, please.” I knew she wanted to get out of an uncomfortable situation, but my save wasn’t a lie either. Before she could respond, my desperate cries continued but they remained quiet and self-contained. I didn’t know what else to say to her, I was blessed beyond belief to have someone like Jayden welcome me home and take care of me the way he was, I definitely didn’t deserve him, but that didn’t make Isabel any less important to me. I still wanted to come to her first about everything, especially with things as big as this, but I hated having her handle my panic attacks, I always felt like I was intruding on something or someone more important than myself. I knew I needed to compose myself before Jayden came out here and took over, but I didn’t want to. This was something I knew only Isabel would understand wholeheartedly, but feeling guilty I changed the subject back to her since that’s the reason she called.
She called anchor, not me. “I’m sorry about your dinner."

Last edited:
Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Thank you. When my phone began vibrating, all eyes were on me. I received a curious glance from both Levi and Josie, and when I looked up to Dawson, he knew who was calling. The look we shared said it all. She needs me. I'll be back shortly. "Excuse me, y'all. I really have to take this." Getting up, I walked out of the booth after Josie moved. I walked out of the restaurant and sat outside on the bench near the entrance, answering the call quickly. I called anchor because I wanted to get out of this dinner but when I heard the cracking in Amelia's voice, I knew damn well she was crying so I was quick to forget about my petty drama and tend to her. I knew she had to be thinking about what she saw in Africa. I knew that was fresh in her mind and I knew I was the only one who would understand completely. She needs you. "Hi best friend, I'm here. What's wrong? Forget about my dinner. It's nothing important. Why are you crying?" I asked her gently, knowing she wouldn't want to talk about it since I called anchor. "Tell me, Melia. Why I called anchor is nothing but a small and petty thing. I'm here for you. What's wrong?"

Washington D.C.
Amelia
When I heard Isabel's voice, I forced myself to take a labored breath, lifting my head up, as I looked out onto the lights of downtown D.C. I wish you were here, but you're not, not in the way I need you to be right now. But I did this for you, you called anchor and this is me making it work. I would do anything for you, you know that. Wiping my eyes on my sleeve I shook my head as if she could see it. "Nothing, I was just trying to get you out of there, that's all," I said in a whisper. I really didn't want to talk about Africa and the things I saw, I didn't need Isabel trying to imagine them too I knew Isabel wasn;t going to accept what I had to say, even though it wasn't a lie by any means, I did throw myself into my thoughts to buy her a way out of dinner, but I didn't think it through too well. Now that I had thrown myself into a panic, Isabel was going to want to talk about it and it was something I was grateful Jayden didn't bring up, but Isabel, she wasn't going to let it go until she got something out of me. As the silence between the phone line continued to linger, I took another deep breath, my legs folded in the chair I was sitting in as I traced the anchor-shaped tattoo on my ankle with my fingers. "This isn't how I wanted to come home, best friend. I don't like how much things have changed between us since I left Dallas, it makes me think I shouldn't have left you so soon," I whispered in a defeated gasp as I continued to trace the tattoo I had in tribute to her after everything we had been through together. It wasn't like her not to greet me when I came home from emotionally draining assignments, she was usually the first when I came back to pull me out of my traveling depression and encourage me to use the emotions I kept void while I was away to empower me to create something beautiful. She was usually the first to welcome me home, no matter where I was living then or how long I was gone, if she knew the assignment wasn't easy she made an effort to be there because we knew no one else would understand, even Jayden and Dawson who wanted to be sympathetic, they were simply incapable, because they hadn't lived it.

In the past year, I tried not to let it get to me how much Isabel and I were drifting, we both had careers and committed relationships that needed constant nurturing and attention, not to mention since I moved to D.C. I could no longer just be a part of Isabel's day-to-day life anymore. She had other friends, other plans, as much as I hated it and wished it wasn't true, from time to time, our friendship fell on the back burner just because we were so far away.

" Did you get my letters?" While I was sure to censor to Jayden what I spent each day doing and what I endured, when I wrote to Isabel, I told her everything. Even the parts I wish I never had to repeat, but I needed to tell someone, and I knew my best friend would never hold against me what I chose to endure.

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Her letters. The ones I read every day while you were away. Of course I have them, Amelia. What's wrong. Please talk to me. Sighing softly, I nodded as if Amelia could see me before I found my words. "Yeah, best friend, I got them. They're on my bed right now. I read them the entire time you were gone. I wish I was in D.C. with you right now." I told her softly, sighing when I realized how much she and I were drifting. "I'm sorry I wasn't there when you got back. Work has just been hectic and I wish it hasn't been. I love you, Melia. I'll be by soon, I swear. Are you and Jayden making any plans? When can I come see you?" Now, I was rambling. I realized that through the year of Amelia being away, we drifted. The only reason was simply. It was because of me. I hadn't been making the same effort I did when we were in the same city. Sighing, I closed my eyes, trying to take normal breaths. I needed to fix this. I needed to keep making more time for Amelia, no matter what I was going through. "I love you."

Washington D.C.
Amelia​
I hated having this conversation, I knew she would blame herself when it was a two-way street, but there were just times I needed my best friend, times like now and I needed her to know how important it was to me that she be there when it mattered the most. I accepted that she couldn't be there for every milestone or bad day, but in the past year, the only times I saw her were when the four of us were together. Since Jayden and Dawson entered our lives, I never got my best friend completely to myself anymore. I blamed myself because I was too afraid if I kept our usual routine Jayden would get jealous or Dawson would feel like I was being a pushover who didn't respect his relationship with Isabel when in reality, that was far from the truth. I wanted all of us to be happy, but I didn't want to lose my best friend because of something that was out of our control. I was afraid at a certain point in our lives, If i didn't make the move to be closer to her permanently we would grow apart because we weren't kids anymore who had too much free time on our hands with no one to talk to. Is this it? These are not the kinds of thoughts I wanted to have coming home at all. Why am I so insecure? I guess it's not insecurity when people just naturally grow apart. As much as I didn't want to lose Isabel to a grown-up reality, I would always be there for her and I hoped she knew that.

"I love you too, I'm glad you got them but I'm sorry you had to read them." I decided not to answer her questions right now because she asked me to help her, not send her deeper into her insecurities, and I couldn't stay on the phone much longer before Jayden would become concerned. "Just call an Uber home and tell Dawson it was my fault, whatever dinner plans you had, I'll order them. But don't stay, you already walked out, if you go back and just sit there awkwardly Dawson will get angry and it will cause a fight which you want to avoid because I am sure you were having a nice day before this. If you tell him it was me he'll let it go." Rubbing my elbow I composed myself while I wiped my face with the blanket on the chair, trying to looks semi-presentable before I faced Jayden again. "I have to go, Jayden's waiting for me, he just made dinner and I don't want to keep him waiting. Text me what you want and I'll order it. Okay? Call me when you can."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Listening to my best friend, I sighed softly, shaking my head when she suggested that I call an Uber home. I knew if I left and said it was because Amelia needed me, Dawson wouldn't mind, but I never liked lying to him. I was conflicted. As much as I wanted to leave, I didn't want to lie through my teeth, but I also didn't want to sit back at the table awkwardly. Sighing softly, I decided to leave, but I wasn't planning on using Amelia as a scapegoat. "I can't call an Uber, I already ordered my food and I know Dawson really wanted to spend the day with me. I don't like lying to him and I don't want to use you as a scapegoat. I promise I'll be okay. Josie was just suffocating me with all her stupid conversation. I'll be alright. I love you, best friend. I'll call you later, okay? Enjoy your dinner with Jayden for the both of us. Lord knows I can never get Dawson to myself anymore." Sighing, I hung up the phone, taking a deep breath before I worked up the nerve to walk back into the restaurant.

The rest of the dinner wasn't too bad. I did minimal talking though, and I knew Dawson had caught on. I didn't want to talk about it though but once we left, I released another sigh, allowing myself to finally relax. That was the most tense dinner I ever had and I knew Dawson would bring it up at some point, but I wasn't going to let him think much about it yet. "So bubble tea?" I asked him curiously as we walked out of the restaurant, hand-in-hand, to the car. When he stayed quiet, I sighed. "Please? You said we could do whatever since we're spending the day together."

Washington D.C.
Amelia
You wouldn't be lying, I do need you but it's fine. Have fun with Dawson. "Okay," I replied before I hung up the phone, gripping it tightly so I didn't give into the temptation to throw it over the balcony in my frustration. Compose yourself, Amelia. Walking back inside, I smiled when Jade came to greet me happily. "Hey, girl," I said petting her head gently before I walked over to the kitchen sink to wash my hands, avoiding eye contact with Jayden for as long as possible. I was just a complete mess and I hated myself for being so sensitive but the thought of losing someone who was so close to me made me sick to my stomach, it had always been one of my worst fears.

Dallas,Texas
Dawson
"I know what I said, Isabel," I said holding her door open before I walked around to the driver's side of the truck. Buckling the seatbelt, I sighed and rested my head on the headrest. You couldn't have even tried to be civil with my friends? "Did you talk it out with Amelia?" I asked still staring off into nothingness. "Did you tell her that you just can't stand those people from Fort Worth? I'm not stupid, I know you used her to get out of talking to them. "I know we're not like the people you grew up with, but they have never done anything to you out of malice, so I don't understand why you can't just be civil, Isabel." I knew sbe didn't want me riding this season, it gave her too much anxiety, but it was no different than me being in a pilot's uniform, riding was just as much a part of me. I was angry and I knew I should be careful with what I said, but I just kept going. "And what happens between us should be between us, Amelia shouldn't know more about my relationship with you than I do. I'm with you, not you and Amelia. You need to tell me when you have a problem."

Washington D.C.
Jayden

When I saw Amelia walk back in, I smiled at her, becoming worried when she seemed to avoid eye contact with me for as long as she possibly could. Something was up but I didn't know if she wanted to talk it out with me. Sighing gently, I walked over to her, hugging her from behind as she washed her hands. I didn't say anything, just let the silence linger, but I kissed her shoulder gently before I cupped her face and kissed her forehead. What are you thinking about? What's upsetting you? "What is it, my love? Is everything alright between you and Bel?" I asked her gently, becoming concerned when I saw her expression change. I knew she was fighting back tears and in that moment, I held her against my chest, letting her release all the pent up emotions. "Shh, breathe please." I whispered to her, gently taking her hand so I could put it against my beating heart. Over the year of our dating, I learned during her panic attacks, or even when she's just deep in thought, Amelia calms down when she feels someone else's heart beat. "I'm here. I love you. We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to but I'm here."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

And he's angry. What a shitty way to end the day. I should've just listened to Amelia but by the sound of it, that wouldn't have flown with him either. I couldn't hold back the scoff that escaped my mouth because of what I was hearing Dawson say. I was angry. I was pissed. I was annoyed and in that moment, I just wanted to go home. "You knew getting into this relationship what mine and Amelia's friendship means to me. She's my best friend, Dawson. I can tell her whatever the hell I want to because she's important to me and I trust her." I told him, trying to hold back from saying anything I would regret. Fuck that. He sure seems not to give a fuck. "Take me home. Forget about the bubble tea, forget about the rest of the day, forget that I just wanted to be alone with MY boyfriend," That's right, I put emphasis on the my part, "Because you're obviously pissed beyond compare and nothing I say will fix that, so just take me home." With that, I looked out of the window, becoming impatient when he didn't start the truck. Was he really going to be like this? "I'm sorry I couldn't even hold a conversation with them. I'm sorry we're just sooooo different. I don't give a damn that y'all are nothing like the people who I grew up with, that's not the issue here and I'm hurt that's what you think. You out of all people should know how open I am to people who are different than me." I got impatient. Really impatient and it showed because I acted irrationals. I opened my door, grabbing my purse before I got out of the truck. "I'll catch an Uber back home. Enjoy the rest of your freaking weekend, Dawson." And with that, I slammed the door, walking away from the vicinity of his truck. When I heard laughing, I didn't have to look back to know who watched that entire thing transpire, even if she couldn't hear what was being said. Fuck. I walked down the street to the park, sitting on a bench as I pulled out my phone, booking an Uber. I then went to my calendar app to find the soonest weekend I had free. I needed to go to D.C. Dallas was now starting to suffocate me but I knew it would pass. I loved this city. I was just feeling so many emotions at once that I felt like I was drowning. I just leaned forward and cried, not giving a damn that it start raining again. Damn it all to hell.

Last edited:
Washington D.C.
Amelia
"I'm sorry, I didn't want to come to home to you like this. I love you, I do. I just wish she was there, she's never not been there. It scares me." Lifting my head from Jayden's chest I took his hand. At this point, I just wanted to eat and go to sleep, but I didn't want my first night home with me to be him dealing with my self-inflicted emotional breakdown. Shaking it off I walked back to the table and dug hungrily into my food trying not to think about what just happened between Isabel and I. I was the one making a big deal out of nothing. I just couldn't imagine my life without Isabel in it, she was more than just my best friend, she was family when everyone else walked away and I knew she would never be able to comprehend how important that was to me, but I was never going to forget it, even if we weren't kids anymore and had our own lives to build, I couldn't let go of the one person who made me love myself when no one else could. I would spend the rest of my life giving her my loyalty because if she hadn't given me hers when it mattered most, I couldn't stay I would have made it through my darkest time in life. "Jayden, I need you to understand something, I've never told you this before, but you need to know, I'm sorry if it seems unfair to you that I put Isabel first, I'm working on it. I know you don't ask much of me, but the only thing I ask from you is that you have patience, please. She means more to me than you realize, she's not just my best friend, she's not someone I met and just happened to get close to and now we're drifting, Isabel saved me." Taking a deep breath, I continued in hesitation. "Meaning, I don't know if I would be sitting here with you if she hadn't come into my life. I don't know that I would be here at all." I knew it was a bombshell, that's why I didn't tell many people, because it made me overly emtional every time I told the story, and I knew people who didn't understand the full severity of what I was going through at sixteen, they would think I was being over dramatic and clingy to Isabel, so I just kept it to myself for the most part, the important thing was that she knew, whether she decided to ever believe it or not, I wasn't sure, but I knew, if Isabel didn't come into my life that dreadful summer, an instinct told me I woun't have had the strength to continue and the family that only continued to be mildly interested in what I achieved, would have mourned my loss and not celebrated my high school and college graduations, or my first job, first move, anything ,Whenever they looked at me, they would never know the pain and lonliness I felt back then and whenever they looked at Isabel, they would never know how blessed they should be that she was a part of my life. It was a tragedy, really, because what she did was beautiful and unrepayable. So I broke down and told Jayden everything because if really wanted to build a future with me, he was going to have to accept Isabel just as much as I was Lincoln and I didn't want him to take his anger out on Isabel if he continued to watch me become distraught over this. "She deserves the world, Jayden she gave it to me."

Washington D.C.
Jayden

I did what I could do best during this, I listened to her. I listened to the woman I saw having a future with. The woman who was going to accept my son. I listened to everything she told me and knew in this moment just how much Isabel meant to Amelia. Because of Isabel, I have you. I knew I owed everything to Isabel. She saved the love of my life. She helped her get through life and I couldn't be any more thankful. Sighing gently, I looked down at Amelia with a gentle smile, hugging her tightly once again. "I know, my love. You're right, she does deserve the world. She saved you when no one else made the effort to and I can't be upset over that. I'm so glad you have her in your life, Amelia. I really mean that. If you want, she can fly out here whenever she's free. I miss her and I know you miss her more than I do. I think having her come over would be good for the both of you." I told her gently, smiling at her before I heard her personal phone again. When she looked at me, I just smiled, nodding in approval. "Go see what she said. I'll pour our glasses of wine while you do."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

While I waited for my Uber to arrive, I sighed gently, now standing under something that shielded me from the rain. I found the next open weekend that I had and texted Amelia the date. I needed to get out of here. I needed to escape the tightening of my chest. I couldn't believe anything that happened with Dawson and I just did. I also couldn't believe he didn't come after me. He's that upset. Way to fuck up. Opening mine and Amelia's text thread, I sent her another text.

"Three weeks from now, I'm open the entire weekend. I'm booking a plane ticket to D.C. Any objections?"
"Also, tell Jayden I said hi!"

Washington D.C.
Amelia
"I'll pass on the wine tonight, but thank you," I replied politely before I went to retrieve the phone and as always, was quick to reply to.

"No objections if you really want to come," I replied simply.

I really hoped she wasn't making an effort purely because I made her feel guilty, that was never my intention, I always hoped her effort was genuine.

"I'll let him know you said hello, enjoy your night with Dawson."

Setting the phone aside again, I went back to Jayden to finish our dinner he kindly prepared for the two of us.

"Thank you for this, I really needed it. What do you want to do the rest of the night since you took off for me, officer?"

Washington D.C.
Jayden

"Okay, no wine. Got it." I said in response to Amelia gentle objection, pouring myself a glass of it so that I could unwind and relax. After setting up our plates, I sat at the table, waiting for Amelia to return from talking with Isabel. I hoped Isabel was doing well. I hadn't talked to her or Dawson lately and now I suddenly felt horrible for not keeping in touch with Dawson. I would have to text him later to see how he was doing. Smiling when Amelia came to sit down with me, I nodded at her thanks, taking a slice of my pizza so that I could take a bite of it. I was starving. "Of course, love. I took the night off so I could spend it with you. What do you want to do the rest of the night? We can stay in and watch the usual TV shows, or we can go out and catch a movie, or some ice cream. Whatever you want to do is fine with me."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

Sighing, I noticed my Uber had arrived. I walked to the curb, opening the door and thanking the driver before I closed it. I apologized for being drenched because of the rain. I felt horrible for getting their seats wet, luckily they were leather. I looked down at my phone when Amelia texted me back, smiling at both the texts I received. I wish we were spending the rest of the night together. I released another sigh before I texted her back, fighting tears once again.

"I do so the date is set. I'm ready to see you... Y'all enjoy your night for me. I have photos I need to be culling through."

When I sent the text, I released another deep sigh, putting my head against the window as I watched the rain continue to fall, trying to get it to calm me down but it wasn't working. I still felt like a giant weight was sitting on my chest and nothing would take it away. I knew what the weight was. This has happened multiple times to me in my life. I knew it was all my emotions pilling up and drowning me in them. I shook off the anger and felt horrible for lashing out. I couldn't stop myself from being angry like I had multiple times.

Arriving back at home, I thanked the driver again, getting out of the car and slowly making the walk into the apartment complex, taking the elevator up to my floor. I was worried about myself because I wasn't thinking a single thing. My mind was empty. It was numb. When I heard the ding of the elevator, I walked out of it, unlocking my door before walking into my apartment. I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to touch my Mac and cull through photos. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to be alone. I did what I was doing before Dawson and I attempted to have a wonderful night. I stripped myself of the heavy layers I was wearing, taking off my shoes and socks before I plugged my phone into my speakers, playing music that I could hear from the balcony, which is where I sat and let the rain pound against my skin again.

Washington D.C.
Amelia
"I just want to stay in tonight," I replied, the exhaustion was so heavy now it was burning my eyes and felt like it was seeping through my pores and oozing out of me. Even though I showered, I still felt disgusting, paranoid I was still covered in crusted dirt and blood after escaping an attacker right as I was departing. The thought of the fight made my bruised arm ache. I was careful not to draw attention to it though because I didn't want Jayden to worry about it. I knew it was difficult for him to let me go to places where he couldn't tag along to protect me, but I was capable. Looking down at my phone when Isabel replied, I sighed heavily, rolling my tongue in my cheek. I could tell by her change of the subject something was wrong. She went from wanting to spend the evening with Dawson to saying she needed to cull photos. They're fighting. I knew I shouldn't have been so dramatic. I was just trying to help.

"Don't let him get to you, best friend. If he's being a jerk, just give him his space. You know his guilt gets to him almost as fast as mine."

When Jayden and I finished dinner, I tried to help him clean up, but of course, he refused to let me. When he finished though, I curled myself into him on the couch while we watched his favorite T.V. show until I fell asleep at the soothing sound of his heartbeat. For the first time in a month, I felt safe and secure enough to sleep and sleep long.

Dallas, Texas
Dawson
I knew I let my anger get the best of me when I was once again alone with Isabel, but I couldn't help it. My friends were nice people who didn't understand why I was Isabel because whenever we were together with them around, she seemed standoffish and I never understood why. I avoided the subject whenever it came up because I didn't want her to feel like I was confronting her but that went to hell now in one moment of weakness. I felt horrible, but I didn't know how to fix this. I loved Isabel, but whenever we were together that was one world and the one I grew up in was a different one. I wanted her to support me in all aspects of my life, I knew she didn't judge me for where i came from, it was just the people. I wondered if she disliked them because she felt they were holding me back. I wasn't sure, but I didn't want to lose her over this petty fight so I gave in to the forgiveness I felt I owed her after letting her leave destructively irate.

After picking up the bubble tea I promise and her favorite boutique of flowers and drove back to her apartment in hopes she wouldn't leave me at her doorstep, too angry to speak to me still. Please forgive me. I prayed. By now the rain was drenching everything in its path again but I was careful to keep the flowers dry with a box I had left in the backseat of my truck. Running to her front door, I knocked in the same pattern I always had so she knew it was me.
Please let me in. I need to talk to you, I'm sorry.

Washington D.C.
Jayden

After cleaning up the kitchen, I decided to join Amelia in our living room. I was so happy to have her back home with me and I understood why she chose to stay in for the night. I knew she was exhausted and it was evident when she rested her head against my chest, falling asleep as we watched my favorite T.V. show. I missed the playful banter she and had over these crime shows but her getting rest was much more important. I turned off the T.V. in the living room before picking Amelia up into my arms, carrying her to our room so she was more comfortable. After I laid her in bed, I kissed her forehead, smiling gently down at her before I went to go take a shower. I didn't want to wake her but after my shower, I smiled when I laid in bed and felt her curl against me. Kissing her eyelids, I smiled when she looked at me. "Get some more rest, my love. I'll be here."

Dallas, Texas
Isabel

I wasn't sure how long I had been outside but I didn't want to go inside anytime soon. It was sheer luck for Dawson that I so happened to be inside when he decided to come to my apartment. When I heard the knock, I debated between opening it or letting him look like a fool outside. I should just leave you outside. Sighing gently, I walked over to the door, opening it only to spot the bouquet of flowers he had in his hand. He was coming to apologize but I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear it. He really hurt me today with what he said out of anger. "What're you doing here?" I asked him, not realizing my clothes were still wet since I just walked in from being out in the rain again. Shivering, I let him in, closing the door behind him before I walked to my couch and grabbed the blanket that was laying on it, wrapping it around myself before I went to turn down the music I had playing. I looked back at Dawson and took the flowers from him, quickly placing them in a vase. Both he and I knew what I was doing. I was distracting myself because I didn't know where this conversation would go. I didn't want to lose him over something so petty. When he handed me the bubble tea, I smiled, gently taking it from him while I thanked him, taking a sip of it and humming in satisfaction. "Mm, my favorite." I whispered lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back