• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Amelia
Given how the night went, I didn't get much sleep. I was too consumed by my own shock and guilt to give myself the privilege of a good night's rest. I couldn't look at Isabel the same way now that I had the whole picture. Not in a negative way, rather, it was unfathomable to me the strength she possessed to go something so traumatic virtually all on her own and to try and protect me? Just like I had when the Dawson situation first arose, I felt a sense of accountability for what Isabel was going through.

Unlike before, when I looked into my best friend's eyes, I saw a pillar of strength I would never be. I admired her for the woman she was and held her in a new, higher regard I didn't know was possible. After everything she went through, I wasn't going to let her continue to face her reality alone. Even the strongest people need someone to lean on. We were going to handle this as a team, the same way we did everything else, it wasn't up to Isabel for how I did my part.

In the early morning, before I knew she would wake, I slipped out of the apartment and made my way to the newsroom I threw myself into while Isabel was enduring probably the most emotionally draining year of her life. I sent my superior editor an email the night before, requesting for a meeting and now, standing outside the door to the boardroom and took a deep breath before I walked inside. I knew all the faces that would be staring back at me with nothing but giddy grins were expecting me to take the chief position in Guatemala, but there were going to be firmly disappointed. Shutting the door behind me, I closed my eyes and took another deep breath before I articulated a sentence, my heart ringing in my ears.

"I've called you all here because I have to resign from the AP, immediately."

Uncomfortable silence.

Attempting to clear my dry throat, I denied the board asking me to take a seat because I was no longer a part of this establishment.

"The story sold to us this morning from the DMN about the Blue Angels is corrupted because I accepted and gave the DMN an anonymous donation on behalf of Malinda and Charles Covington to ensure their son gained a positive media presence because of his unsuccessful encounters with the press in the past. The journalist from the DMN who covered it has no idea this occurred nor did the crew she followed. I was trying to help Isabel gain her own reputation and I couldn't resist the offer when it was presented to me."

"Amelia, do you have any idea of the gravity of what you're confessing to?" My editor asked in his own terror. Everyone in this room knew I was committing journalistic suicide.

"Yes, which is why I called you all here first before it gets out to the mainstream."

Rubbing his face in his hands, Greg pinched his nose at the amount of damage control this newsroom would now have to undergo.

This is the only way.

"I never thought I would have to worry about you, Amelia," he replied in a heavy sigh once he found his words. "An investigation will have to follow, someone get the PR manager on the phone while she writes a statement, sit Amelia. When you leave this office consider your press credentials revoked and your position suspended until I can officially terminate you."

The deed was done, I was losing my career, but Isabel and Dawson were safe, and that's all I cared about after what I watched Isabel go through last night.

Writing the same statement I practiced seven times the night before I burned them all, I signed it and slid it across the table to the one board member who was left to chaperone me.

Without having any promising evidence against me, they released me from the office after I collected all my things without saying a word to anyone. Checking the time, I made sure to be quick, Isabel would be waking up soon.

Making a mad dash back to the apartment, I curled myself back into the blanket from the night before. Calling Dawson’s parents before I returned, everything was done, the plan was in action.

Hearing Isabel depart from her bedroom, I faked sleep until I knew it was safe to turn over and ‘wake up’ when I heard her opening the gift I was sure Dawson left for her to find. It was another intimate moment I felt horrible for intruding upon. Even if she couldn’t accept the gift due to another tedious ethical clause, I didn’t want to rain on her one good moment.

“Good morning,” I replied, as nonchalant as possible.

I heard the phone ring twice since I been back, and considering I could take a good guess as to who it was, it made me anxious that Dawson’s parents may have come clean to Dawson and now he wanted to tell Isabel. Or, he could just be trying to talk to her.

She’s probably ignoring him because of me.

As she approached me, my stomach fell, her wanting to drop the story only made it worse. Now I had to come clean before she went into her the DMN to discover what I had done was making headlines. There was a possibility it already leaked, especially inside the AP.

I was terrified, I wasn’t entirely sure what this meant for me. Jail time? Probably, considering I said I took a bribe. I knew for sure my journalism career was over, but Isabel was the one person I was willing to sacrifice that for. When I spoke to Dawson’s parents and expressed the severity of the situation, they understood and wanted to protect their son in the same way. We were all making sacrifices for the couple because they went through enough and we loved them.

Shuttering a breath, I shook my head at Isabel, outreaching my fingers onto my lap before I gained the courage to even look at her.

“Sit,” I said softly, patting the spot next to me. When she leaned into me, I took her into an embrace. “I love you,” I whispered over her shoulder before I let her go to make eye contact again.

“Your story’s already published, Isabel, I don’t know what’s going to happen with it, but it’s out there and you don’t need to say anything to anyone because I already took care of it. Nothing is going to happen with you and Dawson, I would lay low for awhile, but there’s no suspicion with the two of you and it needs to stay that way. Do you understand me?”

Isabel
I could feel the panic rising and then settling in my chest when Amelia told me to sit. The vibe in the air didn't sit well with me, especially when she refused to look at me. I felt it in my gut, just like when I lost the baby, that something wrong happened. I didn't know what and the unknown always terrified me. With each second that passed, my chest got tighter. I couldn't wait any longer for Amelia to tell me what needed to be known. The silence was killing me but when she took me into a hug, telling me she loved me, I knew she did something.

What did you do?

What Amelia said didn't make any sense. I wasn't sure how my story was already published. Yes, I submitted it to my editors, but I had told them we needed to have a conversation about it before it went out to the public. Knowing it already had made me sick. The story where I was completely unethical as a journalist was now being seen and shared among the nation. I wasn't worth the attention this would give me. That story was corrupted. I wasn't ethical.

"What did you do, Amelia?"

When she refused to tell me, assuring me everything was going to be alright again, I stood up, needing a distraction before I fully gave into the panic attack that wanted to happen. Standing up, I quickly walked to the kitchen, finishing up what I was originally doing before Amelia assured me that Dawson and I would be fine. At this point, if Amelia committed journalistic suicide, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with myself. I was going to be the reason she lost everything she worked for. I couldn't take being the reason. Not after being the reason Dawson and I lost our child. This was too much to handle.

Hearing my phone ring again is what brought me out of my thoughts. I knew it was Dawson but I still didn't have the courage to answer it. Biting my lip, I continued making breakfast, putting Amelia's finished coffee on the island for her.

"You're coffee's done." I said softly, releasing a frustrated sigh when I heard my phone ring for the fourth time this morning.

Dawson, please stop.

I gave in the fifth time he called, walking over to my purse to get my phone, sighing when I read the texts from him saying we needed to talk. It was then when I saw what Amelia did. Below all the notifications of Dawson trying to get a hold of me, that I saw a tweet. It was from the AP. Opening it, I gasped when I read the headline, dropping my phone before I turned to look at Amelia, letting the tears fall.

"Amelia, you didn't," My voice was so soft, so weak, "Why? Why'd you do it? I'm not worth your career! You weren't the unethical one, I was!" By now, I was on the floor, hugging myself as I shook my head. I was in denial. When Amelia took me into an embrace, I cried against her for the second time. I couldn't fathom why she would do this.

You know why, Isabel.

"You didn't have to do this. I should be the one taking the fall right now. I was going to. I was supposed to go to the DMN and tell them everything. Amelia, why?"

Later that day...
When Amelia left to get us Wingstop for lunch, I bit my lip, sitting in my living room in silence. The silence was louder than it ever has been for me. It was too loud and I swore I was going to lose my mind if I continued sitting like this with no music.

Call Dawson.

Taking a deep breath, I looked at my phone, unlocking it, going straight to my favorites in my contacts, my thumb hovering over his name. Biting my lip, I pressed on it, watching as my phone started the call to him. He answered after the first ring. That was expected considering how many times he blew up my phone earlier. Putting my phone against my ear, I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say without breaking. Hearing him call out to me, I let out a sigh, biting my lip to cause pain for a distraction.

"I'm here," More silence, "What did you need?"

Amelia
When Isabel discovered what I had done and raised her voice, I was quick to make my way to her, my tone of voice matching hers so she would take me seriously.

"You're not going to sit here and tell me what you're worth to me when you know damn well without you, there would have been no career to give up!" Calming my voice I took yet another deep breath.

"I knew what you were doing the whole time so I still would have been responsible even if you were the one to tell the truth. You've already been through enough, Isabel. You didn't need to go through this too, you or Dawson. Is I can't be worth more to you than him, he would have been dishonorably discharged. Is that what you wanted? It was the only way, best friend."

Kneeling down beside her, I hugged her again.

"This isn't your fault. It was my decision and you weren't a part of it. I decided to put all of this on me and even if you knew what I was doing, you wouldn't have convinced me otherwise. And if you don't want me doing it for you, consider it the only thing I could have done to commemorate that precious baby. I had to give them something to look forward to when they keep an eye on you, and you giving up this, what you're building, shouldn't be because you met the one person who makes you truly happy in the way I hoped for you all this time. I'm sorry I didn't see it before, but I do now. You're going to be so much more than any of us know."

Dawson
"What do you mean, what do I need? You've been declining my phone calls and ignoring my texts since we got back. What's the matter?" I asked in concern. I didn't want to push her because I knew there was a great possibility she was still grieving and i understood that. But I didn't want her to think that because we were back in Texas now, back to our normal routines that we had to pretend like it never happened. I still wanted to be there for her the same way I was before, in any way she would let me. Giving her some space for the first few weeks wasn't easy but I did it, thinking she would come around once she had time to herself, but now that we had been home nearly three weeks with no communication, I was starting to worry.

"Did I do something wrong, amor? Whatever it is, you can tell me, please tell me, so we can work through this together. I miss you."

Isabel
Amor, I've always loved him calling me that.

I didn't know if I had it in me to tell Dawson everything. I wasn't sure if I wanted to open myself up again. Being vulnerable was always something I didn't like and I especially didn't want the emotions to resurface. Inside I wasn't okay and I knew if I didn't tell Dawson that, he would still suspect it and press me. I ignored him long enough. He needed to know everything racing through my head at this very moment.

"No, you didn't do anything, I promise." I whispered softly, already feeling the tears build up at the thought of everything I needed to fill him in on. I was more than sure he didn't hear about Amelia and I was even more sure he didn't know his parents agreed to it to keep him safe. The more I thought about everything, all the consequences that were supposed to happen, the more I realized all of this was my fault. If Amelia didn't turn herself I would have done that but with turning myself in Dawson would've been dishonorably discharged. I would've been a disgraced journalist, along with Amelia. Nothing good would have come out of any of this.

You fucked it all up, Anes.

By now I was crying and I could hear Dawson calling out to me, worried about me because I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. Eventually, the cries turned into sobs and it became hard to breathe. Putting the phone on speaker, I set it on my lap, wiping my eyes as I tried to catch a breath and say something.

"I told Amelia everything last night. Remember that journal? I read her the darkest entries. She knows, Dawson. She knows about the miscarriage," More sobbing, "And she, in an attempt to protect us she, dammit it's all my fault. Why did I think anything good would have come out of this?" I knew Dawson was lost. I knew he didn't know what I was referring to. "Amelia committed journalistic suicide, Dawson. She and your parents agreed to be on the same page for our sake, to save us. She told the AP she took a bribe from your parents to keep you in a good light. She ruined her entire career for me, for us. This is all my fault. I was the unethical one. I should be the one without a career, not her. I ruined the one thing she loved after spending years pushing her to do it. God I fucked up."

Last edited:
Dawson
The reassurance Isabel offered was short-lived when it accompanied a long, brutal silence. I knew something was wrong.

"Isabel? What is it?"

When her voice picked up again, I shuttered a breath, in relief, the sound of her crying over the phone when I knew she was trying to hide it, it was enough to bring me to the floor. Biting my nails to curve my anxiousness, I listened to what Isabel had to say, confused, I wasn't understanding what she was getting at until she finished explaining.

Shit.

I didn't know much about Isabel's best friend, but the velocity of her action was enough for me to believe she was an exceptional individual. I wanted to meet her, on good terms, and because I wanted it to be on good terms, I knew I had to step in and fix this the best way I could. I knew it was the only way to make Isabel happy and as admirable as it was, Amelia shouldn't have to pay the hefty price because I fell in love with her best friend.

"Isabel, Amor, listen to me, I can fix this okay. Amelia will be okay, she's not going to lose anything, I promise. After what she did for us, I think I owe it to her, huh?" I asked in a soft chuckle. "Let me talk to my parents and I'll call you back, if anyone comes for her, you let me know, okay? I love you."

Isabel
"You can't fix this! How can any of this be fixed Dawson?! It's just not possible!" I exclaimed, irritated that Dawson had even mentioned it. Right now, in my fragile state of being, I didn't know how the hell the love of my life planned on fixing the damage that was already done. I was being irrational, even I knew that. I continued to wipe the tears that fell, taking a deep breath when Dawson reassured me everything was going to be okay. I knew deep down I could trust him and I felt bad for snapping at him so quickly.

"Sorry, for snapping. I believe you. Please call me right after, okay? Te amare por siempre, Dawson. Talk later."

After hanging up the phone, I was left in silence yet again, and it was louder than it had ever been before. Going to my Spotify app, I played some background music to calm my nerves even if only the slightest. I didn't want to be alone so when Amelia returned with our wings, I was quick to hug her tightly, biting back tears. I hated being this vulnerable. I always would but she and Dawson were the only one's would ever see me like this.

Calming myself down, I released a deep breath, pulling away from the embrace I had Amelia in before I smiled weakly at her. "Well, let's eat. It smells amazing." I pushed all the negative thoughts away the best I could. We didn't say much while we ate, just entertained ourselves with one of the many Hallmark movies playing on the TV. After I ate all the wings I asked for, I laid out on the couch, resting my head on Amelia's lap as I closed my eyes and fell asleep from exhaustion.

"Love you long time, Melia," I whispered in my drowsy state, hoping that when I woke up, everything would go back to normal, even if I knew the chances of that were unlikely.

If Dawson said he could fix it, he will. Just have faith, Anes.

Amelia
To say I was scared shitless was an understatement. I briefly studied law in high school when I thought it was what I wanted to go into, so I knew the consequences to my falsified confession would lead to jail time because I didn't just fabricate the lie, I created a paper trail for it, knowing it needed to be believable to protect Isabel. But as fearful as I was to becoming someone's bitch in a cellblock, I couldn't let it show, it would only make Isabel fester in her guilt. Returning her hug, I held my breath to keep myself together and nodded when she pulled away.

"Okay," I whispered softly knowing this would be my last moment of peace before my life completely changed for good.

In the morning, when I heard a strong knock at the door, I knew what was happening. They're here for me.

Standing up, I took one last sip of coffee before sharing a look with Isabel. When she tried to protest, I took her into a tight embrace.

"It's okay," I whispered, letting go of her, I walked to my fate. Opening the door I was greeted by two officers wearing ballcaps, their hands rested on their belts, looking back at me almost apologetically for what they were about to do.

The older one started speaking, but I didn't hear much of what he said after he presented me with a warrant granted this morning, Nodding in compliance, I stepped out of the doorway and towards the men who tried to make the scene less traumatic my delicately placing the cold, tight, rusted handcuffs around my wrists before locking them into place while reading me the rights I had to memorize my junior year in high school for my law test. Biting back my lip, I held back my tears, walking into the crowd of my colleagues I knew would be waiting for my appearance. For once, hearing the rapid shutters speeds didn't bring me peace, but hyped my anxiety. Unlike most people, I decided not to hang my head in shame away from them, but rather I looked at their cameras straight on, because subconsciously, I still wanted them to believe my innocence even though I carefully built my plan so they wouldn't. As far as the world was concerned this was my doing, and I was now the most-hated journalist in not just Texas, but the country. Even if i made it out of this, I would forever remain untouchable in career I worked so hard for, but even being shamed in front of the entire country, I still didn't regret what I did.

Isabel
Do y'all know what it feels like to watch your best friend be greeted with two police officers the very next morning she gave up her entire life's work for a stupid mistake you made? No? Good because it fucking sucks. That's exactly what happened with mine, and watching Amelia leave without a fight made the guilt even worse. It was festering and building and it only took her leaving to break me completely.

The minute she was no longer in my sight, handcuffed and in the back of the patrol car, heading towards her fight against the people who absolutely believed in her at the AP, I felt so alone. I ruined everything for her and she wasn't the only one. The past year has been full of several people getting hurt because of my choice. The one stupid choice that I made because my heart made me weak. I ran after the one person who ever made me feel complete like I hoped he would and that was my biggest mistake. It's because of me everyone was in pain so it only made sense to let the grief consume me.

Dawson said to call him if they came to get her. Call Dawson.

With a shaking hand, I reached for my phone on the counter, calling Dawson immediately as the tears began to fall for the countless time since I arrived back to Dallas. I felt so sick. I felt my breakfast in the back of my throat. Slowly sliding down to the floor, I hugged my knees close against my chest, impatiently waiting for Dawson to answer. When he did, I gasped, biting back the tears.

"They came for her, Dawson. She's gone. My anchor's gone."

Yet another anchor gone from my life. It's like I can never be fully happy in life. I didn't hear much of what Dawson was saying on the other end of my phone. All I could think about right now was losing Amelia right after losing my child. The one thing that pulled me out of my thoughts was Dawson asking if I wanted him to come over. Right now, my feelings still remained the same. I couldn't look at him right now and that was no one's fault but my own.

"No, I'm fine. We can just talk later, alright? I have to go to work." I was quick to hang up after that, setting my phone down on the floor before I put both hands in my hair, yelling, sobbing right after that this was my life now.

Jayden
I was at work when I heard about the woman that took my breath away being sent to court. It was a lot to take in. I overheard it from Bellinger. He was talking to Chavez about it and the minute I heard Amelia's name, I was quick to do a google search and find out what the hell was happening. From what I knew about her, she didn't seem like the type to just throw what she loved doing away. She wasn't one to be unethical.

When I read the headlines, I wasn't sure what to do. Knowing Amelia was being tried because of his parents wanting to keep in good light didn't make any sense to me. Malinda and Charles weren't like that. Amelia wasn't like that and I know damn well Dawson wasn't either. I couldn't leave work to find out more. I was patrolling a larger beat today.

It just had to be today.

Grabbing my phone, I called Dawson. When he didn't answer, I cursed out loud, shaking my head as my body began to tremble. Opening our text thread, I sent my best friend a message.

"What the hell is going on Covington?! I know damn well Amelia would never accept a bribe from you or your parents so spill it. All of it. Now."

Dawson
I knew in some way, I had to fix this in a way that no one would be placed in the hellfire, but if it came down to it, I would be the man and admit guilt. After learning what Amelia did, for Isabel, and confronting my parents, I was consumed by my own dissatisfaction. Amelia gained my respect by destroying her own reputation to protect her best friend, the woman I loved, but as the man who was the center of all of this, I felt rightfully, the blame was mine to take and I didn't. I just let it happen and now that it was too late to clear the air without hurting Isabel, coming to Amelia's rescue was the next best option.

I spent a sleepless night wracking my brain on a scheme that would seem plausible, pacing back and forth all night, trying to peace together yet another false allegation. I knew this was my responsibility; if I didn't at least try to get Amelia out unscathed, I would lose Isabel.

In the morning, while waiting for the coffee to brew, she called me and my gut told me all hell was about to break lose. The gasp when I picked up the phone said it all. What she said next made my knees go weak.

My anchor's gone.

This is my fault. You weren't thinking, Dawson.

"Amor, I'm sorry, I'm going to handle this, I promise. Do you want me to come over first?" I asked knowing full well she needed not to be alone right now after watching Amelia get arrested, I was sure that was a pretty traumatizing experience knowing she was innocent. What I also should have known was that Isabel wouldn't want to see me, of all people after that, I was the reason her best friend's life seemed like it was plummeting. Isabel wasn't going to work today, she just wanted to avoid me.

You really fucked up.

"Isabel wa--" She hung up.

Throwing the phone on the counter, I slammed my hands against the marble in frustration. "Damn it!'

With my thoughts racing, I missed Jayden's phone call, continuing to ponder on how the hell to fix all of this, I read his text, confused.

How in the hell does he know Amelia?

"Oh shit." Amelia, Isabel's best friend was the same woman my best friend was passing notes with for close to a year before she mysteriously disappeared and since then, Jayden couldn't stop talking about how amazing she seemed. I was unsure how he could fall for a woman who only passed him simple notes, but this realization just made my life even more of a living hell. Not only did I screw over my girlfriend's best friend, but I screwed over my best friend's "it girl," The way he talked and speculated about her, I knew that's what she was, even if he had no idea yet. This just kept getting better.

Texting Jayden back, I didn't need to say much to further explain the situation, just one simple sentence to clear the air.

"Isabel and Amelia are best friends, Jay."

Jayden
"Shit." Amelia and Isabel are best friends. Amelia, the woman who stole my heart, and Isabel, the one that stole Dawson's, were best friends. Now everything was starting to make sense. I knew Amelia wasn't the kind of person to take a bribe. I knew she wouldn't have done anything she claimed she did. She took the blame for her best friend. I wanted to scream, get upset that she did something like this but I couldn't. I would've done the same for Dawson. I know why Amelia did what she did.

You are really something, Amelia.

Opening the text, I subconsciously chewed on my bottom lip. I didn't know how any of this would be fixed without it hurting Isabel in return, something I knew Dawson really wanted to stray from. This just got more complicated knowing the truth.

"Well, any plans going through your thick skull? I'm patrolling today but we can meet up later. The bar? How's Isabel?"

After sending the text, I got in my patrol car, going out to my beat. The only thing running through my mind was Amelia. I knew she wouldn't get out of jail unscathed and the thought of anyone hurting her or touching her pissed me off. In my mind, there was no way for Amelia to make it out.

Amelia
The rest of the day was humbling to say the least. After I was booked, I was stripped of all my clothes, searched naked, given a new less than flattering brown jumpsuit after being and given a number I would be referred to rather than a name. I was able to keep it together for most of it, until I heard the cell bars lock behind me. I knew better than to let the tears show, or I would forever be labeled as a fish and if i had any chance of surviving in here, being a weakling was not it. Pinching the bridge of my nose I sat against the cement wall and reflect.

Even though I was in here on my own accord the situation was still messing with my head. I told myself I would never end up in a place like this, that I would be better than that. I would work my way out of the family tradition of spending sometimes behind a cell and become known for my own successes I struggled to achieve. Now, I was well known, but for the wrong reasons.

Why are you so quick to jump in for other people?

The Next Day...
Isabel
I was tired of crying. I was tired of being alone. I was tired of feeling useless, incapable of fixing what I destroyed. Now, waking up in the living room, an empty of Gentleman Jack next to me, I was angry. I couldn't let Amelia stay her full term in that cell. I couldn't risk her getting abused by some stupid people who get a thrill from power. I needed to get her out. I needed to take responsibility for my actions before my thoughts consumed me and immobilized me from doing anything. Amelia didn't deserve this and I was going to fix it.

Getting dressed, I took a deep breath as I stared at my reflection. The woman looking back at me didn't look familiar but I knew the real me was in there somewhere. I just needed to keep tugging and pulling to find her. Grabbing my purse and laptop, I walked out, heading straight for my car, driving to Fort Worth. I needed to talk to Dawson. Okay, more like I needed to confront him but not for the reason he thinks. I didn't need comfort right now. I needed him to fix this. We needed to fix this.

I was supposed to go into work today but I'm sure my editor already knew what was coming. Right now, after losing so much, there was no way in hell I was going to step foot back in the newsroom. I couldn't. Every time I did it made me sick and it still does. I was going to take some time off. I had enough funds to support me in my savings.

Maybe I can do studio photography for a bit.

When I arrived to the ranch, I got out of my car, unconsciously strutting to the front door. I could bet Dawson wasn't expecting to find me in a jumpsuit and heels with not a single tear in my eyes. Right now, I felt like I used to. I needed to get shit done.

Opening the door, I sighed of relief when it was unlocked, letting myself in, hearing Dawson talking from the kitchen. Walking into his line of sight, I saw another man with him, sitting at the counter. It was someone I didn't know but he was in uniform. He was a police officer so I assumed it was Dawson's best friend. He mentioned him once briefly when we were in out own world traveling the United States.

When our gazes met, I saw in his face he was relieved. Smiling weakly, I didn't move from my spot just yet.

"We need to fix this. Now. I'm not letting her just rot in that cell, Dawson."

Dawson
Hearing the door open and close, I couldn't help but turn towards Isabel. We had this figured out, and now that she was here, I could tell her the one sliver of good news she was going to get out of this week.

Sharing a look with Jayden at Isabel's demand, I nodded towards her in understanding.

"We're one step ahead of you, Amor, this is Jayden, maybe you've heard about him, maybe you haven't but he knows Amelia and he wants to help. He knows the best attorneys Texas can offer, and because I am the reason you both are in this mess, I'm going to make sure Amelia has the best team of people to help her come out as clean as they can. I told you it would all be okay, it's going to take some time to find a way, but we're all going to do the best we can for her, Okay? I promise."

Approaching her, I took Isabel into a tight embrace for the first time since we returned from our adventure before it blew up in our faces.

"I'm going to fix this," I whispered in her ear, "But you can't pull away from me if you want me to help, we all have to be in this together, for Amelia."

Isabel
I didn't pull away when Dawson approached me, engulfing me into a tight embrace, nodding at what he said. At this point, I didn't care that I was originally trying to distance myself. The moment I was in the arms of my beloved, I tucked my head against his chest, hiding myself away from the world as best as I could. I took in his scent, musk and sharp, something that soon became my favorite. I felt comfortable. I didn't feel as alone as I did yesterday and I was relieved. He and Jayden were already planning a way to get Amelia out. We were going to find a way.

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just been so hard," I whispered in return, pulling away slightly so that I could finally look at the man I loved face-to-face for the first time since we've been back in reality. No features changed in the span of a month, he was still very much my cowboy and I loved it. I loved him.

Hearing someone clear their throat, I pulled away and looked over Dawson's shoulder, giggling softly when my gaze met Jayden's. I had almost forgotten he was here but now that I was looking at him, it clicked in my head who he was.

He's Amelia's Jayden. Oh shit.

Pulling away from Dawson completely, I walked over to Jayden, my smile genuine as I held out my hand for him to shake. "You're the Jayden Amelia mentioned. Your notes always brought a smile to her face," After shaking his hand, I moved mine back to my side. "And I take it you're Dawson's best friend. Has he always been a pain in the ass?" I asked to lighten the mood before we got down to serious business. Today was the day we found out how to get Amelia back to us, with everything she just threw down the drain restored.

Dawson
"Hey now, there's no need to gang up on me," I said in playful defense of myself, giving Isabel my hand for reassurance. I was going to help her through this. I didn't know what it was like to watch my best friend get taken away and have to wonder what was happening to her now that she was in a prision cell, locked away from the free world she knew, alone and away from everyone. I knew the thought of Amelia suffering in any way, by the way Isabel talked about her over the span of the trip and the brief moments I watched them interact when Amelia flew out to see Isabel, they were inseparable, and while I didn't completely understand the dynamic yet, I didn't have to to know Isabel was not going to rest until Amelia was free.

But who knows how long that's going to take.

"So Jay, what do we do now?" I asked curiously, knowing nothing about this process and when we would see Amelia again.

Jayden
"Well, her sentence is five years which is mainly because the level of her bribe wasn't too high. If we play our cards right, we can get her out after about a year. I can make visits to her and we line up the best lawyers needed when the time comes. I think we should tell her, though. We shouldn't do this without her knowing." I could tell by Isabel's expression that she agreed. Leaving Amelia out of our plan wouldn't be the wisest because it could go completely south if one thing went wrong.

"We all have to be in this together, you guys, I have the lawyers but Dawson let's be real, you have the money. We can't do this alone but we can together. She won't be in there for her full term, Isabel, but she will be there for a bit. I wish just as much as you do that weren't the case but it's just the truth." I knew Isabel already knew what I was telling her. She seemed to be a strong woman even after witnessing her best friend getting taken away. I couldn't even begin to fathom how I would have done it.

"So it's settled. We're all in this together so she can come out soon."

Dawson
Listening to Jayden and Isabel talk about the plan for Amelia, I couldn't help but smirk at Jayden for how adamant he was being on his feelings towards Amelia being a statistic in the legal system.

Shaking my head, I looked down at the floor to hide my grin. It was time to call him out.

"You're upset because you didn't win her over before this happened but she doesn't seem like the type to really care for a Knight in Shining Armor, Jay. Don't get your hopes up by doing this for the wrong reasons. You'll end up disappointed if it doesn't work out. I'm not going to let you help anyone out of this if it means you get the low end of a stick from another girl who doesn't want to give you a chance."

Knowing Jayden for as long as I did, I knew of his relationship history and my dear friend, as generous and respectable as he was, he didn't have the best track record when it came to romantic relationships. Too many women took advantage of him, and I didn't know much about Amelia, but from what I did know, he was obviously a strong-headed woman who wasn't going to let anyone stop her from what she left was right, Isabel included. In simpler terms, she seemed almost out of Jayden's league.

Jayden
Dawson could be such an ass at times and right now, he was acting like one. I should have known my best friend wouldn't care if he outed me or not but I was slightly irked he outed me in front of Isabel, Amelia's best friend. Shaking my head, I sighed softly before pushing him playfully.

"Oh shut up, Covington. I'm helping whether you like it or not. I've got the lawyers so try me." It was like we were little kids but I was glad mine and Dawson's bickering was enough to bring a smile to Isabel, releasing a playful giggle at the two of us.

"Be nice, Amor. You don't just flat out tell someone they're out of someone's league. That's rude." I heard Isabel say but now I knew why she was giggling. She thought the same thing Dawson did. I didn't mind, in fact I chuckled before releasing an overdramatic sigh.

"You Texans sure were meant to be."

"Oh Jay, relax. If you play your cards right, you could win over my best friends heart, but only if you play them correctly. She's a strong woman who thrives off being independent. She's not like the others you've dated. You'll have your hands full and I hope you can handle that."

After the playful bickering, we ate breakfast together, discussing a way we could get Amelia out. We had a solid plan and now it just required executing it.

We'll get you out, Amelia.

Amelia
The first night in the cell was interesting. I quickly learned my place was at the bottom of the social ladder, as I expected. I knew if I wanted to survive in here, I had to learn and adhere to the rules of the game, the only probably was, I didn't know the game or how it worked so my timidness remained a weakness. I was scared, but I couldn't let it get to me or i would probably end up jumped in a bathroom.

Isabel, if you don't defend your relationship, I'm going to kick your ass when I get out of here.

I knew she couldn't hear my thoughts but I was naturally holding some resentment for being put in this situation despite putting myself in it, now that I was here the reality was difficult to grapple with. This wasn't the type of culture shock I ever thought I would experience.

Still too timid to approach anyone, I didn't dare leave the cell yet, given I had it to myself. Still lost in my head after constantly hearing fellow inmates shout their obscenities at me, I jumped when I heard my cell unlock and a guard instruct me assertively to follow him after he took hold of my arm.

"You have a visitors."

"Who?"

"I guess you'll see, Ms. Popularity."

I already have a nickname? Great

Following the guard out of the cellblock and down a long hall to a holding room, I didn't recognize the men in suits who were obviously waiting for me to be retrieved like an animal for bid.

Who are they?

Biting my lip, I sat where I was instructed to, making slight eye contact. still lost, attempting to control my trembling. My palms sweating as I tried to articulate what was about to happen, nothing good came out of any of my speculations, and then, a face I didn't expect to see walked in, one I recognized but this time in full uniform and his sheepish grin made me have to turn my gaze away from him.

Jayden. Could my this get any worse? Why is he here? So he can corner me with a bribe? That's not happening.

"What are you doing here?" I asked less than flattered that he was trying to come to my rescue.

Jayden
I was fully aware that I knew nothing about the woman I wanted to help get out of prison so badly. I knew she probably didn't want me anywhere near this but that was fine. I was going to help Isabel and Dawson the best I could and once Amelia was finally out, if she wanted nothing to do with me, I would pull away.

You know you wouldn't pull away. If anything, I would pull back. I didn't want to overwhelm Amelia with my presence or make her feel like I was trying to take anything away from her. I wanted her to be herself if we were ever going to be anything. I never wanted to make her change.

When we arrived to the jail, it wasn't hard to get visitation time with Amelia considering my career choice. I was thankful the best lawyers around were willing to do me a solid in helping with this. I know Isabel really wanted to get her best friend out and I wanted to help, just like Dawson.

After Amelia was brought in, I walked over, smiling at her the moment I laid eyes on her. I could tell by how quick she was to look away, she didn't want me here. Trying not to sigh was hard. My intention wasn't to make her feel like I was trying to corner her. I also knew she wasn't happy to have me because it seemed like I was coming to her rescue.

Just like Dawson said.

"Well, I'm here because your best friend and my best friend want to get you out and these men are some of the best lawyers around that can help with that." I said, sitting down across from her. "We're trying to help but I didn't think doing so without telling you was wise."

Amelia
"Your best friend?" I asked in near disgust, not having a clue who Jayden was referring to. I knew he wasn't talking about Isabel so-- Oh no. Are you fucking serious? What else does the universe have in line for me?

"You're friend's with Dawson," I replied in a laugh, a coping mechanism to hide my frustration at the situation.

Ths whole thing is just pretty damn unbelievable. It's nice that Dawson wants to help now considering he's in the clear. Coincidence?

"Even you should know it's not that easy, there is no walking out of here, I already admitted full guilt. because I did it and I just couldn't take that weight on my chest anymore, okay?" I replied in defense, looking away from Jayden and straight on to the defense lawyers that accompanied him for what I assumed was supposed to be a heartfelt meeting where I accepted a bargaining chip for taking Dawson and Isabel's fall. I wasn't giving up my front so easily, not when it still had the ability to come back for Isabel, she was the only one who mattered in the scheme of things. I wasn't accepting anything from anyone unless I knew with 100% certainty no backlash would come to her. She already suffered enough.

"Sorry for wasting your time, gentlemen but I'm not sure how much you can do for me."

Last edited:
Jayden
She's worried about Isabel. I didn't blame her. I knew since she did this to herself in order to protect her best friend, Amelia wasn't going to agree to just anything. She wanted to ensure her best friend would still be unscathed with any idea we came up with. Isabel was going to be fine. I just didn't know how to reassure the strong headed woman sitting across from me.

"Can you give us a moment?" I asked the lawyers, watching them as they nodded and walked out. I glanced over to the guard watching, Silvio, and when he saw me reassure him everything would be okay, he left too. I wanted to make sure we had enough privacy for me to convey everything. Of course it wouldn't be out loud. I had a note to pass her way.

"Amelia, I get we know nothing about each other, but Isabel wanted me to give you this. Don't let anyone else get it, understand? It'll explain what you're thinking. I'll be back on Friday to retrieve your answer and the lawyers are ready to take this on. All they'll need is one simple phone call. We want to help you, Amelia. You don't deserve this."

I was careful to keep my voice low, not wanting any suspicions to arise. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get through to her. We all knew that, which is why I was simply passing the note on from her best friend.

"Think it over. We'll talk Friday." Standing up, I smiled at Silvio as I walked out, trying my hardest not to look back at Amelia as she was escorted back to her cell. I didn't like her being here. I didn't like the feeling I got. I wanted her out just as much as Dawson and Isabel did. It blew my mind how strong these feelings for her were. I knew absolutely nothing about her but I wanted to know everything. I could only hope one day she would give me the chance.

Amelia
Amelia, you don't deserve this.

This man was really starting to get to my head, maybe it was because of the whirlwind I endured over the past 48 hours but I was really beginning to think he was being genuine in his motives and he wasn't an overbearing creep who I thought might have an obsession with me after being around girls who were nothing like me. I assumed I was the fresh catch he wasn't used to, and he wanted to try it just because he never had. There was still a chance he was telling me what I wanted to hear, but the isolation was already having an adverse effect on me and seeing a familiar face was comforting, even if I only had casual conversation with Jayden in the past, it was better than coming face to face with another stranger in such an intimidating situation.

Nodding at his instruction, I tucked the note into my bra strap before I left back to my confinement, I left Jayden with an airy comment to alleviate the seriousness of the situation, another coping mechanism.

"Have a white coffee for me, Jayden. See you on Friday."

Isabel
The letter I gave to Jayden to pass on to Amelia was probably something my best friend was expecting. While I did mention us trying to help her, I also scolded her. That was inevitable.

"Amelia,

I literally hate that you went through with this without even asking me. You didn't deserve this. I'm upset with you because of it but I'm still trying to find a way to get you out. I think Dawson and I have, actually. So get this, Jayden and Dawson are best friends. That's right, your Jayden, as I'm sure you already found out since he gave you this letter. He's got the lawyers and Dawson's got the money, with both we've been able to establish that we can help you get out. I've been told several times it won't be as quick as I hoped it would so we're looking at about eight months to a year. We'll work on our end but we don't want to do this without your approval. If you're not on board, this won't work. Jayden will be our form of contact. He's the only one that can get in without it being suspicious so be nice to him. ALSO, did I mention I'm upset with you? Because I am. Very upset. When we get you out, I'm going to kick your ass."

OOC: Hey Guys, I would like to apologize in advance on the lack of substance in a post as essential as this one. It was difficult to write considering I have never been to prison myself or really have time to research the technicalities. I did do some minimal research, but given I am a college student, I do not have all the time in the world dedicated to this thread as much as I wish I did. So again, apologies for the vagueness and perhaps lagging in these scenes, bare with me, Isabel y yo te amamos. <3

Amelia
Once I was ripped away from decent humanity again, I quickly grabbed the letter from my bra strap; Isabel's handwriting was enough to make me want to break, but I continued to repress it. Her note was what I expected, it even made me laugh and forget about my own fear for a moment.

They're going to get you out of here, Amelia. Don't be stubborn and refuse.

Refusal was my initial reaction because even though I wasn't actually guilty of extortion, I plead guilty to it. I believed I had to serve the sentence that was given to me to make everything right. Having a tendency to make things harder than they needed to be, I wanted to stick it out just to prove to myself I could manage the consequences I surrendered to, but the longer I stayed here, the less I was sure.

With five days until Jayden returned to get my verdict I still had a lot to learn.

Day 1:

The day after seeing Jayden, I met my new cellmate, Trinity, I had yet to learn where here “prison name” originated, but I knew for certain she was less than thrilled by my presence. She was an old-timer, a career criminal who grew up in this system, this was her home, what she was used to. She was in for hard time, four counts of aggravated robbery. Something in my gut told me not to piss her off, but that proved difficult when I lived with her and I had no knowledge of the prison ways.

Trinity often scolded me for jumping at every little clang, bang or yell. While I couldn’t help it being a trait from my childhood, I soon learned it made me an easy target for predators, giving Trinity less of a reputation because we were in the same cellblock.

“Your entitled white ass doesn’t know what a real trouble is. You think you’re better than me and everyone in here because you’re book smart and your skin color gave you all the opportunities you had before you thought you fucked it up by ending up here, but the truth is fish, your white ass is going to get out of here better than us, because you’re a white entitled girl. You know nothing like it is.”

Day 2:

I got to call Isabel today, but after standing in the line to use the phone for nearly two hours, my thirty allotted minutes went by all too quickly when she spent most of them apologizing. She told me the media coverage on my case was only getting worse, and now that my family knew, they were infuriated and of course, even from prison, I had to pull her out of her thoughts. By the end of it, I knew I wasn’t completely successful in my attempt, but I hoped knowing I wasn’t outright mentally incapacitated was enough for her to keep it together in her head. That was wishful thinking.

Day 3:

Day three was hell. This is when I learned the most important lesson. Do not frequent the cafeteria, or as the prisoners call it, the chow hall. This is where the predators seek their fish prey, and I was a victim.

Maybe in elementary school, I could picture violence ensuing over a pudding cup, but it never crossed my mind in prison.

I was baited. What I hopelessly assumed to be the friendly face of a twenty-something red-head who’s name I still had not learned, who convinced me she wanted to befriend me because I seemed “not so bitchy” It all went south. Passing me a vanilla pudding cup she told me she bought on the black market, red-head told me to consider it my “Welcome gift” Nodding in acceptance, I thanked her for the treat, thinking maybe I was assimilating into this culture easier than I thought, my peace of mind lasted five minutes before another group of hefty women, all coated in cheap arm tattoos and heavy body musk, swooped in on me, charging at me a plastic fork sharpened into a knife for “stealing desserts” from whatever hierarchal system I remained clueless about. That’s right, at 27, I fought off a piece of plastic and lost, ending up in the infirmary needing six stitches under my eye, after passing out at the sight of my own blood pooled at my feet, thinking I was going to take after my late grandfather and adopt a glass eye.

Rest in peace, Jerry. <3

Day 4:

I got beat the shit out of in the yard for crying over my eye. I was officially the joke of the block.

Day 5:

Isolation and shame kicked in. Unlike before, I was eager to accept whatever Jayden could give me. I was too much of a “bitch baby” to handle this lifestyle. I knew the chances of me surviving in here were slim to none, I already had guards joking about sticking me on suicide watch, but the truth was, this was getting to my head faster than I originally anticipated. I wanted out.

When the guard told me I had a visitor, I knew when I returned I would regret it, but I broke down into tears from my own relief. The salt didn’t help my stitches though, just made the unbearable burning worse. At the command of the guard, I wiped my tears hurriedly before Jayden entered the room and did my best to pretend like I wasn’t suffering.

“How was that coffee?” I asked almost inaudible, losing on my confidence in less than a week was terrifying to me, but this was the blistering truth behind cruel isolation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back