• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Dawson
I could tell by the look in her eyes Isabel was hurt by the fake front we were demonstrating for Lucas. It should not have hurt me in return, but it did. Her emotions affected me. It was a terrifying thing to admit. I knew whatever I was feeling towards her was wrong. I had no right to feel this naturally genuine connection with the woman I spent one night with. A night I knew she probably regretted after how it ended up, and with Josie back in the picture, even if I wanted to try to clear the air between us and address whatever these feelings were, it was too late. Fate made it so we couldn't even be friends at this point, but being the man I was, I still wanted to try, and if nothing came of it, in the very least, it would put my mind at peace to end this awkward relationship on good terms.

When Josie appeared, I couldn't bear to make eye contact with either Josie or Isabel. I just stared off into nothingness. Flinching when Josie remembered Isabel's name, I continued to stare off into nothing, concentrating on my blinking to make it seem normal, counting to three before I did it each time. It wasn't until Josie kissed me I was pulled back to reality, taking a deep breath, smiling when she walked away. I unclasped my hands and looked up to Isabel again, giving her an apologetic look for the assumption I was sure she just made.

"You don't have to go, did you really need an interview from me or did you just get dragged over here because of my rank?" I asked in arched eyebrows and a cockeyed smirk. Regardless of how things were between us, I still didn't feel I was overstepping a boundary with my expressions. I still felt comfortable with her so I knew I had to give the apology I lacked before.

"Before you go, I have to apologize for the last time we saw each other. I shouldn't have taken an out, but I didn't want to make you even more uncomfortable with the situation. I didn't think you would want me to be the one to take you back home, so I offered Brett because you're familiar with him. I'm sorry my intentions came off the wrong way and I just wanted you to know in the best way possible, I don't regret the night, not because of what we did but because I enjoyed the night we shared before it got to that."

Isabel
In this moment, I wanted to do nothing more than run away and hide. I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to be standing before the pilot, not did I want to interview him. I simply wanted to cry in the comfort of my own home, not in front of him like I was on the verge of doing.

I continued to bit my lip, staring at my feet just in case the tears did begin falling. I was also avoiding all eye contact with him because if I stared into those hazel eyes, there's no doubt in my mind that every part of me would break.

Listening to what he had to say, I was frozen. The cowboy before me, the man I was so hung up over, opened up about how he felt. That was the last thing I was expecting to hear come out of his mouth, even more so when Josie made herself known by attempting to assert her dominance. I didn't like her but that was to be expected.

He doesn't regret what happened that night. He apologized. He still cares. Did he beat himself up over everything just as much as I did?

Building up the courage to face him, I lifted my head up, quickly rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand, attempting to get rid of the tears before he noticed. Why did I have to be such an emotional person? I would never know. It was annoying. I took a deep breath before I found my voice, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear before I smiled. It was the first genuine one since being pushed to talk to the one man I tried avoiding.

Respira.

"An interview from you wouldn't hurt, honestly. I did kinda get dragged over here because of your rank though. Lucas just raved about you from the beginning and before I knew it, I was thrown in front of you." I said with a laugh, pushing away every negative emotion I felt when I first laid my eyes on him. Despite how bad everything ended, I knew he was still very much a person I could talk to. He broke my walls down so quick and being with him still brought me a sense of comfort.

"Thank you. I really needed to hear that. Telling you these past months have been fine would be a lie so I won't. They've been rough. All I could think about was how horribly things ended for us. That was never my intention. When you gave yourself an out, I was genuinely hurt, and I still think you're a jerk for it but I think I can let it go," Giggling, I continued. "If were being honest, I really enjoyed that night. I've never been so quick to open up to someone so you should consider yourself lucky, Covington. I still wish I knew more about you. I wish I had the chance to get to know you more but it's okay. Josie seems like a lovely girl."

I cleared my throat after mentioning his girlfriend. There was no way we could be anything more now. If anything, I would appreciate it if we were friends.

"Now that we talked about that, let's get this interview started. Are you sure I'm not keeping you from anything?"

Dawson
When I apologized to Isabel, I couldn't have prepared myself for her response. Her Honesty was brutal. It hit me like a ton of bricks in the gut. She openly called me a jerk and while I deserved it for what I had foolishly done to her months before, I couldn't deny what it did to hurt my pride. I knew now, the least I could do would be to ward off Josie and give Isabel her interview to make her happy, something I couldn't do before but wished I had. But I did notice her defense mechanism was to take the attention off of herself in this situation and compliment Josie when she had nothing to do with this. Yes, we were together now, but my history with Isabel occurred when Josie and I were apart, how I pursued my future with Isabel, if there was any future at all, wasn't up to Josie, whether she liked her or not, this was up to me.

"You journalists don't know how to be anything but honest, do ya?" I asked playfully, giving her a small wink to hold on to. "You openly call me out for being the biggest jerk of all time to you and then you want my interview? No, you're not keeping me from anything, Whiskey. You earned it. What do you need?"

Crossing my arms, I leaned against the faithful engine I babied for as long as it was mine and waited to be interrogated by the woman who never left my thoughts since I watched her roll out into the dust in Brett's beat-up old pickup truck after I made her feel like anything but the stunning woman she was and I was kicking myself for it now.

Isabel
Whiskey. I loved when he called me that. It was an insider, something only he and I shared, and hearing his deep southern voice say that nickname made my heart skip a beat. I missed him. Dawson was the first man to ever break down my walls in such a short amount of time. Yeah I was drunk but even then I don’t usually tend to open up. He made me feel safe and comfortable which is why he knew so much in such a small amount of time. Looking at him now in that dashing uniform, knowing I couldn’t say or do anything to acknowledge how handsome he looked was killing me. I wanted so desperately to kiss him but he is with Josie now and I don’t want to come between them. Meddling in the middle of a current relationship wasn’t something I wanted to do and I wasn’t going to start now, no matter how much I wished I could. Maybe the fairy tale ending with Dawson wasn’t meant to be. True love didn’t exist and I was starting to believe that.

Why does my Sagittarius ass have to get so attached so quickly?

“Just need a couple questions about your flying, Six. You’re one hell of a pilot and your crew seems to look up to you. You must be an honorable man. Why do you fly when you could just work at the ranch?” I asked him, my face naturally turning red at the thought of the intimate events that took place at the ranch. I needed to get a grip over myself and finish out the story.

Talking with Dawson was amazing and I felt like we had talked for hours. I got more than enough material that I needed to work with but I didn’t want this interview to end. I could see Josie getting impatient in the background though and I knew I had to let the only man to ever steal my heart go. Biting my lip was my go to defense mechanism, it always showed when I was hurt or irritated. Right now, I was sad and trying to prevent myself from crying. After today, there was no guarantee I would ever run into the cowboy again.

“Thanks so much for the interview, Covington,” My voice cracking, “I think I’ve kept ya long enough and I have more than I need so this is where I let you free.” I laughed playfully to mask the hurt. After I laughed, I stared into those deep hazel eyes, feeling the same burning feeling inside, the same passion as that night. I was getting lost in them but I was quick to clear my throat and look at my shoes.

“I got some great shots of you today that I can send your way once I start editing through them.” At this point, I was trying to find any reason to keep him here with me and not with Josie. I wanted him to myself just a little bit longer. I wasn’t ready to let him go again. I didn’t want to look up at him. If I did, I was afraid I would break and all the emotions I had swirling through my mind would come to the surface. Instead I stayed staring at my shoes, biting at my lip to distract myself from crying.

Don’t be rude.

Looking up, I mustered the best fake genuine smile I could. Extending my hand out for a shake, I didn’t break. “I’ve kept ya long enough, don’t ya think, Covington? Josie seems to be getting a little antsy waiting for ya.”

Last edited:
Dawson
Smirking at her first question, I shrugged before standing straight up to answer.

"The ranch is home and I needed something else that was mine and not just the family name. Being here is the one thing I worked for without having a silver spoon in my mouth to get ahead of the game. I did this to prove to myself I could work for something, just like everyone else."

As the interview continued, I just answered each one of her questions with complete honesty, something I never did with the press before. I always delivered half-ass answers to please them and keep them as far out of my personal life as possible, but Isabel, I learned to trust her after how she portrayed Brett. Despite being completely honest with her though, I could tell something was wrong.

What is it, Isabel?

Nodding at her conclusion of her interview I caught her trying to keep me from leaving her.

"I would love to see them if you want to show me. When you get the chance, no rush."

When she extended her hand out for a shake, I grinned sideways, stepping forward before I took her into a tight embrace, hoping this wouldn't be another risk that backfired. Taking in the scent of her sweet and fruity perfume, I remembered the night we spent together.

Clearing my throat as a way to clear the awkwardness in my gesture, I leaned into her again to whisper something I knew would change the dynamic of our relationship forever.

"You can go ahead and tell Dallas Morning News you have the in with the Covingtons and just so you know, you're the only one. See ya around, Anes."

Two Weeks Later:
Dallas

Isabel
The airshow wasn't something I came to hate after all. Talking with Dawson was great. I genuinely missed him and getting to know more about him was refreshing considering he knew so much about me. Knowing he was dating Josie was irritating, and it would be for however long they planned on being together, but there was nothing that could be done. I lost my chance.

I kept my promise to Dawson. After culling and selecting, then slightly editing a few of the pictures from the airshow, I texted him letting him know I had finished. I was originally just planning on emailing them to him. Now that I had an in with the Covingtons, I wanted to keep mind and Dawson's relationship strictly friendly or for business. Now that I knew having a shot at being with him was impossible, I was hoping that would be easy, but I knew better. Having an in with the Covingtons only meant I would be around Dawson more often. The DMN loved that I was their in. Like Dawson said, no one ever had one. It was natural that my editor freaked and practically assigned the family to me whenever we needed a statement or story on them. I knew this addition would be exhausting but I knew why Dawson did it. He wanted me around.

The cowboy refused to let me email him the pictures. I didn't understand why so I agreed to meet him for breakfast. He let me pick where I wanted to go and that was his first mistake.

I arrived to Overeasy a little earlier than what Dawson and I agreed on. This was my go to spot for breakfast, especially since there was a door connecting the hotel it was in to where I worked, plus nobody could make a tea blend like Samual. He was a master at it and I loved whatever teas he put together for me. I just hoped Dawson liked it here too.

Walking in, I smiled when Sam was quick to notice me.

"Working today?" He asked.

"Not today. Just meeting a friend." I said with a smile, following him to the usual booth by the window. Thanking him, I sat down, nodding when he asked if I wanted the usual tea blend. I was going to need it to make it through this.

When I saw Dawson walk in, I smiled brightly at him, waving at him from where I was sitting so he could find me. When he came closer, I instantly felt all the same emotions I usually felt.

"You look as handsome as ever." I told him with a teasing smile, beating myself up internally for what I said.

That shouldn't have been the first thing you said, Stupid. You sound desperate.

"I hope you like it here. It's a really good spot, one of my favorites honestly. I have the flash drive for you and I brought my laptop just in case you wanted to look at them. I can edit any of them if you want."

By now, Sam brought me the usual special tea blend then asked Dawson what he wanted to drink. After he walked away, I took a sip of the blend, closing my eyes and humming contently as the flavor hit my mouth in one massive, but tasteful, explosion.

"Can you give me a good explanation as to why you drink your coffee black?" I asked the cowboy once Sam brought him his cup of joe with no creamers.

Dawson
When I agreed to meet with Isabel for breakfast, I played it off as if it was a casual meeting to exchange pictures, but I knew the feeling in my bones told me this was something more, but I ignored it because the thought of seeing her was too exciting to let go of. I told myself in my denial we were just going to be friends to make myself feel better about being with Josie. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her, we grew up together and I did want her to be happy, but as much as I found myself going back to her, I knew it was because it was it became a comfortable routine when both of us became lonely. As much as my parents adored her, I had to admit to myself if I made her my wife it would be because I felt I needed to please everyone but me. That wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to fall in love with someone who I couldn't imagine a life without, someone who would want to not just grow old together, but grow together. someone who supported my career despite the family I came from, and something told me I was stupid for letting Isabel walk away so easily.

I can't I was surprised with her choice of venue for breakfast, after seeing how uncomfortable she was in the rodeo atmosphere, I assumed this was more of her setting considering how she dressed.

Making eye contact I grinned when she was so quick to compliment me.

So that's not just a drunk thing. interesting.

"You look nice yourself," I said taking my seat and ordering my regular black coffee, nodding at her informative speech about the pictures. I knew that was the reason we were here, but really I just wanted to see her.

"It is a good spot, it seems more like you then the yards," I teased, thanking the waiter when he quickly returned with my second cup of coffee for the morning. Sipping the scolding brew cautiously, I smirked at the woman across from me being so observant. I wasn't used to it but I thought it was cute.

"Umm, I don't really know? That's just how my Dad and Grandad drink it so when I started hailing hay I followed suit. Why? Is it that interesting, tea drinker? I didn't know we were in England," I teased again holding out my pinky finger properly for the effect.

Isabel
Being here with Dawson made me wish I hadn't been so rash in my decisions after the intimate moment we had together. Where would we have been by now if I did take his flannel? If I didn't act so awkward the following morning? If I actually tried to converse with him about it rather than becoming angry when he tried finding an out? Maybe we would've been something and it genuinely hurt my heart knowing I didn't give it a chance. I did what I did best. I talked myself out of making anything of what we felt. I was scared and psyched myself out. It was what I was best at honestly.

Hearing his responses made my heart happy. It felt good knowing that despite everything we went through, he still trusted me enough to be himself. I felt the same in return. He was one of the few people I knew I could be my absolute self with, sass and all.

Rolling my eyes when he teased me about the yards, right after about my tea drinking habit, I let out a soft giggle, shaking my head before I grabbed my tea cup with both hands, putting it close to my lips.

"You're somethin' else, Six. I can hold my ground well at the yards, you do remember right? I think I was the only person on the fence and let's be frank, it'll become my scene soon enough. How else was I supposed to act at an event I had never been to before?" I asked, holding a sense of confidence in my words even if I was teasing. What Dawson didn't know was that the yards would soon become something I enjoyed. I already loved it when I was there.

Moving my cup of tea back down slightly, I sighed. "I always find it interesting when people drink their coffee black, Covington. When I did drink it, mine was nothing but creamer, so it's intriguing to know a lot of people actually drink it straight. Also, it wouldn't kill ya to try drinking tea. You might actually like it." With that, I took another sip of my tea, extending my pinky out like Dawson did moments before. After setting it back down on the table, I smiled softly, keeping the conversation going.

"What've you been up to lately? Aside from pestering me about the photos." I was honestly afraid to hear his answer. I feared he would tell me he and Josie had been spending time together.

Of course they would. They are dating.

Pushing the thought of them together aside, I tried to enjoy the time I was given to spend with the man before me. I knew deep down the connection we shared was because we were meant to be something so much more, but I couldn't let that happen. He seemed happy and everyone else's happiness was always more important than mine. I wasn't sure where life would take Dawson and I. In the very least, I hoped we could be friends. Sometimes I felt like that wasn't even possible.

I just might have thrown away my one shot at love.

OOC: Hi, the last line of Izzzy's post is over dramatic and uncalled for and I'm calling her out for bringing her negative tendencies into this cute ass scene. Have a nice day, ya'll. Also, P.S., Classes started this week so replies with be on a slow incline until December. Many apologies.
Dawson
"Well, the season's picked up so a lot of traveling, not much time on the ranch, if that's what you're getting to. Brett still brags about being in the spotlight you put him in so I should have you come back just t put his ego in check, and I have not been pestering you about photos. You're the one who was over-excited to see me. I saw that giddy grin on your face when I walked in here, nice try though. What about you, photojournalist? I hope you cover more than just the Covingtons every move, that would be a boring beat, to follow around snobby rich white people who live off old blood money. That's what they're called, right? Beats?' When she nodded in a half-grin, I winked like I knew what the hell I was talking about when in actuality, I just googled some terminology the night before to not look like a complete idiot.

"See, I did my research before I came here. So what else do you do exactly and why the hell would you stray so far from it to come to a rodeo? Were you that desperate to get your name out there?"

Last edited:
OOC: Y'all, I can't believe she called my overdramatic ass out, lol. I'll admit it was a bit dramatic but that's what I'm known for. It's what I do. Anyways, I'm not sure how this semester will pan out so my replies may decrease, they may not. At the moment, the world may never know.

Isabel
You make it hard not to fall for you, Covington.

Laughing softly, I shook my head, sighing contently before I smiled at the cowboy in front of me. He amazed me every time we were together and I never wanted any time spent together to end. He was in every essence of the word, amazing.

"Look at you, doing your research. I'm impressed, Covington," Laughing, I kept my hands around my tea cup, enjoying the warmth it provided. "As of right now my beat is more hard news, so typically breaking news type of things, crime every once and awhile. I do a lot of feature stories too, mainly because I love meeting new people and getting to know their culture or their life stories. Other than that I get assigned to pretty much anything. I'm still sort of starting out so because of that and the fact that there is always so much going on in the DFW area, and I'm not a person to decline an assignment, which is how I ended up at the rodeo. Jessica's usually the one who deals with anything related to Fort Worth, but she was sick so I was asked to step in."

I knew I rambled but whenever someone got me talking about what I love doing, something I used to think I would never amount to, I didn't usually tend to have a filter.

"So, that explains why I cover events and get the pictures needed with a story attached. A lot of my features come from events like the rodeo or the airshow. I love making photo stories out of it. I never really got the chance to do that in college but luckily the DMN gives me the platform to do it now, so I do. I've also been assigned to any story that revolves around the Covington's, thanks to you." When he stayed silent, I became worried.

"What? It was a lot I just dropped on you, so sorry. I tend to ramble when it comes to what I love doing. I haven't done much traveling though. I miss it."

OOC: Okay but her replies are dependent on mine and this semester is going to be WILD so again, many apologies. Back to the regularly scheduled reply.

Dawson
"Nothing, I just like hearing you talk about what you do, I can tell it means a lot to you. You don't see that in a lot of people nowadays. They get too lost in what the world expects of them I guess, I don't know, I think it's silly."

Letting the silence take over for a few moments I bit my lip while contemplating an idea.

Is this overstepping some kind of boundary, I mean, probably, we slept together. Oh well. Here goes nothing.

"You want to travel huh? Well," I began, looking down at the table while i collected my thoughts, doing my best to make this sound as professional as I could.

"Like I said, the season's just starting and I don't know if anyone from the Dallas Morning News has ever followed the Blue Angels for the whole touring season, so I don't know what your schedule is like but if you're open, I can reserve you a spot, if that's something you're interested in doing, but it's up to you."

When I finished offering her this, I looked up at her, making eye contact while being unexplainably nervous while I awaited what I anticipated to be a rejection just like before.

Isabel
Holy shit.

Dawson Covington offering to get me a spot with the Blue Angels left me speechless. I never thought an opportunity like this would come, little did I ever think Dawson would be the one offering it after what we did. Spending an entire show season following the Navy's best flight demonstration group would be phenomenal. At the moment, I wasn't sure what my schedule looked like, but I wanted this and I was going to make it happen.

Finding the words to say was harder than I thought. Looking Dawson in the eye, I let out a smile to reassure him that everything was going to be okay.

"I'm in," I said simply, the smile on my face still evident as the thought of traveling across the nation following him and the rest of his crew made me excited. "No one has ever followed the Blue Angels for the whole season before, and I love the group so I'm in. I have to run it by my editors of course but I'll be there. Are you sure you want me around that long, Six? You'll get tired of me." I added in with a laugh, teasing him so that he could lighten up. I knew if this worked out, I would forever be grateful Dawson gave me this opportunity.

When Sam came over to take our order, I ordered my usual egg white omellete with spinach and mushrooms. After Dawson ordered, I asked for another cup of the special tea blend, thanking Sam when he said he would get right on it. Looking back over at Dawson, I smiled again.

"How're things at the ranch? I know you said you haven't been lately but still. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the grand tour that would've costed me twenty dollars."

Dawson
She just took it. What the hell happens next? I wasn't sure but I was content my risk paid off. It would be interesting to have a journalist (lol I typed reporter and deleted it. Much love.) follow the crew around to give a the behind the scenes that I knew would intrigue so many people who loved what we did to entertain them and i was sure it was a great opportunity for Isabel to distinguish herself from her young colleagues.

"I guess that means you'll have to come back with your press credentials to take it for free since you're VIP."

Later that night...
With Josie back in the house I built on the ranch for the family I hoped to have someday, I had to keep things orderly and that meant because I had the day off from work I needed to be the one to cook dinner for the two of us. Because Josie was a third-grade teacher, she spent her Wednesdays at the elementary all day until she came home after the faculty meeting. Tonight, I settled for grilled salmon and baked potatoes. By the time she came in for the night, I was setting my own table in the way my mother raised me to do.

Greeting her with a quick kiss, we both settled into our seats across from each other, when Josie asked me how my day was I just smiled.

"It was alright, I met with Isabel today about the pictures she took of me from the show and it went well, I ended up giving her the press credentials for the whole season. It should be interesting, as far as I know, it'll be a first. How was your day? Do you have a lot of grading to do? Did the testing already start?"

Josie
I knew Dawson and I agreed to be together because the both of us got lonely yet again. It was a never ending cycle for us but I was never opposed to it. I loved him, despite all the arguments we always got into at the end of the day. All I wanted was for us to start a family, live here in the house he built on the ranch. It was something I dreamed of ever since we were younger and I could only hope it would happen. I knew it never would if he stayed as a Blue Angel pilot. That fact alone is what always sparked the big argument that constantly caused us to break up. I didn't get it. I didn't know why he felt the need to be part of something so extreme. He didn't need to be. We would be fine if he just retired.

Walking into the house I hoped would be mine one day, I smiled happily at the smell of food, my stomach automatically growling. I was starving. Today was my longest day at the school. After spending an entire day with my beautiful third graders, I had running club then the faculty meeting. Wednesdays were always my long day but they were well worth it lately now that I got to come home to my amazing man.

Smiling at the kiss, I settled down across from Dawson, asking him how his day was. I wasn't expecting him to tell me he saw Isabel. I noticed something between the two. It was practically impossible to see they shared a connection but I chose to ignore it. I couldn't say I was thrilled about Isabel tagging along with him all season long but I trusted him.

"So she'll be tagging along with you all season? That sounds interesting. I'm sure she'll enjoy being able to get all the behind the scenes. Did you like the pictures she captured? She's really good at what she does so I bet they're amazing," Smiling, I began to eat my grilled salmon. "My day was the same, long and tiring. I have enough grading to keep me busy tonight so I'm sorry, I'll join you in bed late tonight. Unless you would like to help me tonight before you leave me tomorrow for another show." Thursday's were always the days Dawson left Dallas. He would fly with the crew to the next city for their show and if there was one back-to-back, they went from that city to the next, spending up to an entire week there. Those weeks were lonely without him.

"Where are y'all headed to next? Have you told everyone this is your last season?"

Dallas, Texas
Isabel
When I got home later that night, I sat on my couch, sighing softly as I took a breather. After breakfast with Dawson, I went into work, telling them about my offer from him. To say my editor was excited is an understatement. She was ecstatic and couldn't wait for the story to develop. The company offered to pay for my airfare, I would have to supply myself with the rest but I didn't care. I was getting paid enough for this story to provide for myself. After getting the okay and everything set up, I went back home to unwind. I was starving but hadn't been able to get food all day. Grabbing my phone, I texted Amelia.

"Hi hi, how was your day? I'll venmo you money if you can come over with Chinese. I'm starving but tired and I leave tomorrow. Oh, I haven't mentioned this yet but I have the press credentials to get all the bts for the Blue Angels. We both know who offered it to me and my editor insisted I go so that's what I'll be doing all year. Covering every show and going to every city they do. Come over and we can talk about it."

After sending the text, I turned on the tv to entertain myself until Amelia came over with food.

Dawson
It wasn't hard to tell that Josie was less than thrilled to hear I offered Isabel a full pass to tag along. She had always been insecure of herself when it came to our relationship because she grew up expecting to take the Covington name after getting nothing but praise from my parents. What she didn't understand was, I was over the phase of trying to please them to keep their name intact and if she couldn't learn to change for the sake of our relationship working out for the both of us, there would be no more us, and hearing her fake sweetness towards Isabel rubbed me the wrong way. I felt like Josie was mocking Isabel's skills passive aggressively and after seeing and hearing how much being a photojournalist meant to her, I felt like I had to defend her, even if it was to my girlfriend.

Curling my lips, my frustration continued to get the best of me when she asked the question she knew always started our fights. I hadn't committed to the idea of this being my last season, because I didn't feel finished, but Josie was convinced she already made the decision for me.

Sighing heavily, I dropped my fork against the glass plate letting it clank dramatically, curling my tongue into my cheek before i made eye contact with Josie again.

"Why do you do this? Why do you have to bring up the one thing you know makes it so difficult to be in the same room with you? No, I haven't told anyone, Josie because I haven't decided it if it is my last season, because it's up to me. Being Petty Officer isn't something you just walk away from after a year, it's like when you reach ten-year and just decide to quit? It's like everything I've done is for nothing. It would be idiotic to walk away from the Blue Angels now. Now isn't the time to retire."

Shaking my head I picked up the fork again and stared at my plate while she gave her usual side of the argument that I hated.

You don't need this, you have everything you could ever want right here. You need to let go of your hobby and give it to someone else who actually needs it to support themselves. Don't you want our kids to know who you are? Why am I not enough for you?

Standing up from the table, I looked at the woman who was supposed to love and support me in all my endeavors and told her the truth.

"If you wanted a Covington for the money he was born into who would cater to your every need and sacrifice the one thing he is proud of to make you happy, you're in love with the wrong one. I can't keep doing this."

I wasn't going to force Josie to be with me if being a military wife was too much for her. I understood it was a sacrifice and not a lifestyle every woman was willing to make, but if I was going to be happy, I needed to find a woman who would be willing to make that sacrifice for me. Josie, as much as she claimed to love me, she didn't love me enough to try and understand that my happiness was more important than my means.

Amelia
Since ending up in the hospital and cutting off the notes with Jayden I did nothing but work. Having nothing else to do and no family around besides Isabel who was on the same kind of chaotic schedule, there was nothing else to do. Occasionally I went out with my colleagues but i didn't consider them friends, just friendly acquaintances I had to maintain a professional relationship with. I didn't feel comfortable opening up to them on a personal level, not like with Isabel.

From time to time it did get lonely, but I strayed away from the temptation to play around with "my type" of guy because the next relationship I went into, I needed it to be serious, I needed there to be a commitment there for my own sanity and if I went into it admitting I hooked up whenever I got bored, it made me less desirable.

My extreme overtime at work was paying off though, my editor at the AP took notice to the kind of work I was producing and promoted me to assistant editor of videography, occasionally, I oversaw print as well when we were short staffed for the day, but I took pride in knowing at 26, my editor saw my leadership potential and didn't deny me the opportunity to do the job because of my age. It was a demanding job, but I loved it. But still, I wished I had more in Dallas than the work I was dedicating myself to.

As for Isabel, I kept usual tabs on her and we met up at least once a week to catch up and talk about work and home but I wished we did more. One of my worst fears is slipping between the cracks of the newsroom and become a workaholic, whenever I felt this overwhelming feeling, i pulled back and took less assignments, but now that I was an editor, I couldn't just pull back when so many others were depending on me.

However, when I got Isabel's text, I knew I had to step back.

The news was spontaneous, but I knew that was out of her control. Sometimes assignments like this come up and you have to take them before they sit too long.

A whole year though? What am I going to do?

This went without mentioning who offered her such a unique angle and the motives he might have to give them to her. I still didn't trust Dawson and I preferred Isabel keep her distance because as far as I was concerned, it was a conflict of interest and as her best friend, I just didn't want her to get hurt, and Dawson, he was already on my bad side because he already hurt her once. Isabel was riding a thin line, I knew could jeopardize her whole career if someone found out about the relations she previously had with Dawson before she interviewed him at the airshow, but I wasn't going to be the one to snitch on her when I knew how much she went through to get to this point. It was wrong, I knew that, but I was human before I was a journalist.

Declining her Venmo payment I texted her back while gathering my things to leave my small office that was close to the size of a closet, but it was still something.

"I'll be right there, leaving now."

Grabbing my keys from my purse, I called in our order before picking it up and walking straight into her apartment, greeting Apollo when he came up to me, avoiding eye contact with Isabel for as long as I could before I set the food in front of her. I knew she had to know I wasn't pleased with her, but I couldn't deny this opportunity would give her the leap she needed to make it to the next chapter in her career. I already knew there was no convincing her to stay.

Offering a sympathetic smile I sat next to her, taking her into a hug before I said anything. The thing about Isabel was she couldn't stand disappointing those she loved and I needed her to know, despite the spot she was putting both of us in, I would be there for her through it all.

"I want you to go," I whispered, putting my hand on her leg for reassurance before I passed her her dinner, Nothing else needed to be said, because we understood each other so well, no words really needed to be spoken.

Last edited:
Isabel
When Amelia walked in, I smiled at her softly. I knew in my heart what I was doing, this year long story on the United States Blue Angels, was an amazing offer. It was an offer that would put my career on the line if anyone ever found out about mine and Dawson's night together. If word got out, it would be the end for me, and despite knowing that, I still really wanted to go on this assignment. This was what I needed to make it out of the box I was currently in.

Sighing softly, I put my hand on top of Amelia's, biting my lip as I rested my head against her shoulder. I knew we didn't need to talk about this, because silence was always enough at times with us, but I also knew she didn't entirely agree with this decision.

"I leave tomorrow. I really want to go, I do but you know as well as I do, if someone hates me enough, they could ruin what I've built with this. Maybe I shouldn't go. Maybe I should give someone else the pass credentials. Do you think the risk is too big?"

Sighing again, I sat up, reaching over to the bag of Chinese sitting on the coffee table. I was starving and didn't want to keep thinking about what would happen. I just wanted to fast forward, getting past this part of my life whether I went or not. That wasn't an option though. As much as I loved rushing things, this was one of those I couldn't

"Why do I get myself into these predicaments? Why couldn't I just like, not go home with him that night, UGH." I let out a frustrated groan, opening my Chinese box, quickly digging in.

Amelia
Shaking my head, I took a deep breath before I spoke again. This was going to be another talk where it was my responsibility to lay everything out for Isabel to make the decision she felt was right. Hopefully, I didn't screw this up like I did when I suggested her getting to know the man who got her into this mess.

"Look, you can try to pass the credentials, but you know they're only open for you, and only you. But you also know why he wants to give them to you. If you want this angle you're the only one who can take it but what you should be asking yourself is, is this man worth the consequences? Whatever has the potential to happen, is what you feel about him worth it? Because if you can't imagine losing your career over him then you need to let it go right now, the trip, the in and you in need to walk away, for good. But, if you think he's worth the risk, then you take it, because only a few people are worth risking everything for, and sometimes, if you don't put everything on the line to prove it to them, there's no second chance. So I think what you need to do, is admit whether or not you have the feelings you've been trying to bury and ignore and make your decision from there. After that, you need to talk to him and tell him what this means for both of you. It's now or never, Isabel. Whatever choice you make, there's no going back from it."

As far as my secret keeping, if the AP found out I even knew about this and didn't report it, that meant I was just as guilty, but I couldn't let Isabel take the plunge on her own and I already decided years before she was one of my people who was worth losing everything for and if it meant she was happy, it was worth the sacrifice.

Isabel
I knew deep down Amelia was right, and I knew the moment she mentioned it, what I felt inside. I didn't want to believe I had such a strong connection with Dawson in the short span of time she and I had. I didn't want to believe that if I lost everything over this in, over this assignment, I would be okay. My career meant everything to me and I never thought one man I barley knew a thing about would be worth losing it all. He was worth the risk.

"I know the answer to that. I've known it for awhile but I can't say he feels the same, and in the end this would be one sided. This, risking our careers, would be for nothing if he and I aren't on the same page and right now, I don't feel like we are."

I didn't want to say more because I knew from what little I said spoke volumes for Amelia. She knew I wanted this, that I was willing to risk it all for the Covington man she disliked, but I was skeptical. She was right. I needed to talk to Dawson about this before I boarded any plane tomorrow morning.

Dinner with Amelia was lovely. We decided to watch a movie together, a Hallmark one, and I enjoyed the time we were able to spend tonight. When she fell asleep, I giggled softly, shaking my head and waking her. I didn't mind if she stayed over but I figured she had work tomorrow.

Midnight the Same Night
Once I was alone yet again, I stared at my TV that was currently playing Top Gun. I didn't know what to do. every potential outcome kept coming to mind. I needed to talk to Dawson but he never responded to the text I sent while Amelia and I watched a movie. I figured he was asleep but this couldn't wait. We needed to talk about this now so I took a chance and FaceTimed him from my laptop, moving from my living room to the balcony.

I let it ring and ring, my heart instantly sinking as I thought about him not answering. My anxiety was slowly starting to consume me. If he didn't answer then I had no clue what to do. If he didn't answer, I wouldn't go tomorrow.

What is he doing? He could be asleep or he could be with Josie.

Right as I was about to hang up, he accepted the call and I was instantly speechless. I was now face-to-face with the man that made risking everything worth it. The thought was so overwhelming I felt sick. I had never felt this way for someone before.

"Can we talk?" I asked him, finding the words I needed. He looked as if I woke him up. I felt bad about it but this couldn't wait until the morning. If we did, my thoughts would drive me insane. Before he could say anything, I saw something in his frame move, and before I knew it, Josie made her presence known by kissing Dawson's cheek, telling him she was going to start grading her papers. My heart fell instantly. That alone should have given me my answer about tomorrow. If he was willing to commit to the woman currently sharing his bed, then risking my career, everything I ever built, wouldn't be worth it.

I zoned out and didn't come back to reality until I heard him call out my name. Biting my lip, I found the courage to tell him what he needed to know, what this story meant for me.

"Dawson, we need to talk about tomorrow, now and privately." I didn't want Josie overhearing. I was too afraid if she knew, she would be the reason I lost my career. It meant she would have something to hold over my head however she wanted, if she was that type of person.

When I knew we were alone, I built up the courage to tell the pilot what he needed to know.

"Six, there's something you need to know. It needs to be addressed before I board any plane. This story, this in with you and your family, are wonderful opportunities for my career, but there's something you don't know. Going with you for the season means I'd be risking my career. If I go, and anyone finds out about our history, this entire story will be a conflict of interest. I could lose everything if that gets out, Dawson. It's crazy because I know that but I still want to cover this story because you're worth it," By now, I looked away from the screen, trying not to cry. "What I'm trying to say is that I have major feelings for you, Covington, no matter how hard I try to ignore them, they're there. The only thing holding me back from going tomorrow is you. I'm willing to risk everything for you, but are you willing to do the same? If you know your future is with Josie, tell me now."

Because if she's it, then we will never be anything. I'll have to cut you off completely and everything I'm willing to risk for you will hold no meaning.

OCC Alexa, play Lips of an Angel for this scene.
Dawson
After arguing with Josie and walking away from the dinner table, I returned an hour later, after I had time to recollect my thoughts and decided to break off things between us again, this time for good. I couldn't continue to pretend to be smitten with her when I couldn't stop thinking about another woman. It wasn't fair to either of them.

When I broke the news to Josie she begged and pleaded, giving me every reason in the book to not give up on what we had, but it was already too late. I already had. I didn't feel the same way about Josie anymore, not after what I came to realize a woman like Isabel could offer. To compromise Josie's broken heart though, I agreed to let her stay the night given that I was departing in the morning, but tonight was our last night together in the same bed.

By midnight, I was asleep but the obnoxious sound of my phone vibrating violently against my nightstand pulled me from my deep sleep, as I reached for it in a groggy yawn without looking to see who it was. It wasn't until after I heard her voice I realized who it was.

Isabel.

By the sound of her voice, Josie knew who it was too, so she made her way into the frame. Biting back my tongue, I grinned as she walked away to conceal my animosity.

"Isabel," I called breaking the silence. "What is it?" I asked as gently as I could.

When she asked to speak privately, I got up from my bed and walked out to the coral and hopped on the fence.

"I'm all yours," I whispered, smiling for real this time, staring back at her in the same moonlight that casted over the two of us.

When the silence broke between us again, the last thing I expected to happen did. She confessed feelings I was doubting she had after everything I pulled her through. Bringing a hand to my mouth, I sighed heavily, holding back my smirk with my hand. Of course I knew the risks, but of course, I would have never let her get caught.

"Isabel, it's still up to you if you want to come tomorrow, I would hate for you to think I gave you this opportunity for the wrong reasons. I really did mean it when I said you earned the in. Not many people can put up with us Covingtons, let alone a journalist." Clearing my throat awkwardly, I hung my head for a few seconds before i looked back up at her gorgeous face again.

"There is no future with me and Josie, I ended it tonight, because, well, I can't stop thinking about you."

OOC: Okay, accurate af
Isabel
I wasn’t expecting for Dawson to admit he himself had feelings for me. The night everything happened for us, I thought he never would, especially when he got Brett to take me home because he wanted an out. That’s what made the possibility of him not returning what I felt being a major possibility, but starving at him now, under the same moonlight, I couldn’t help the smile that spread from cheek to cheek.

“Oh? You can't stop thinking about me huh? Good to know because it's the same for me."

Now that Dawson knew how I felt, it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. As I sat out on my balcony, the moonlight providing the only main source aside from the many buildings in the heart of Dallas. Living him was always my favorite thing, I loved the bustle of the city, and it could be heard on the FaceTime call but I heard nothing from Dawson's side. He had to be at the ranch. I remember how peaceful it was to wake up in his room with the window extending from the ceiling to the floor. It was all so perfect and made me realize I loved being in the country just like I loved being in the city.

Releasing a gentle sigh, I looked back at Dawson's handsome face, my smile never fading before looking up to the sky, attempting to find Taurus.

"Can you see the stars where you're at right now? The moon is in Taurus tonight so the constellation would be visible right next to the moon. I can't see much here aside from the moon."

I was a nerd and this quirky side of me was one I never really showed to people. I always had an interest in the stars. It started when my parents gave me a telescope when I was little. I would go outside every night when I had it. I would lay out a blanket, set up my telescope, and sit while I became fascinated by the night sky. I didn't start looking into astronomy until middle school, and naturally after reading about the scientific facts, I looked into the cultural beliefs of the stars: Astrology. Learning about what people believe the stars and planets do to affect your life was amazing, and the different traits for all the zodiac signs were so far in my life, on point. It was a big nerdy mess that I loved.

"It's late. I'm sorry for calling you at this hour but I needed to. I'll let you go."

Dawson
"Of course I can see the stars, we're almost in the middle of nowhere. But I know nothing about the constellations besides the North Star, I always used it to sneak home on Sicily when I snuck out to ride at night before I memorized the way home. But I can tell you like them, you'll have to show me. I have a whole year to learn, if you're still coming. Are you still coming, Whisky?" I asked, trying not to sound too hopeful while I hopped down from the fence, waiting her reply before I walked back into the house to face Josie.

"If you are, I owe you a breakfast to make up for the one I screwed up. Are you okay with that?"

Biting my lip, I prayed I wouldn't face another cold rejection. I knew what this looked like to an outsider, that I was giving Isabel credentials for all the wrong reasons and if I didn't play my cards right, it would her career that was irradicated while I could escape consequence when my father pulled our surname to my advantage, just like he had so many times before, before I cleaned up my act and joined the Navy. But I knew, if it happened this time, I would walk through the fire with Isabel, facing whatever consequence was served to me, because unlike a simple, mundane life with Josie, losing my career to face the world with a woman as brave and courageous with Isabel was worth it.

The Next Morning...
Dawson
As much as I wanted to give into the temptation and sit next to Isabel on the plane to South Carolina, I knew I had to keep a distance. Despite mutually admitting strong feelings for each other, we had to remain discrete if I wanted her to come out of this successful and unscathed. It was harder than it looked, the last thing I wanted to be was away from her now that I had a chance to win her over the right way.

Boarding the plane, I nodded with a friendly grin as I passed her, resting a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm glad you came," I whispered before I walked away casually to take my own seat.

I did this to myself.

Before I boarded this plane, I told myself keeping a professional front with Isabel for the year was going to be easy. that there was nothing I needed to get out of my system because we already did it all, but I was fooling myself. Now that Josie was no longer a part of my picture, there wasn't much keeping me distracted from Isabel and wanting to do all those intimate things with her again. Needless to say, we hadn't even left Texas yet and I knew it was only a matter of time before I wouldn't be able to hold back. In the least, I needed to talk to her, I couldn't just pretend she was a stranger until this was over. I had to find a way to talk to her without catching an eye.

Isabel
The plane ride was horrible. Not only did I have to sit away from Dawson, I couldn't even acknowledge what happened yesterday happened. The entire year on assignment, following him and his crew required the two of us not to make anything noticeable about what we felt for each other. In theory, that wasn't a problem and would be easy. In reality, that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Acting like I wasn't in love with the man sitting five rows behind me would be challenging and as we flew to South Carolina, I was thinking of ways we could talk. This year was not only a new start for my career but also a time I wanted to get to know the Naval pilot.

When we arrived in South Carolina, I stood up, grabbing my carry on from the bin at the top. Pulling it out, I blinked when all the weight didn't fall on my hands. Looking over, I noticed Lucas grabbed my bag for me. Thanking him, I grabbed my purse from the chair, walking out with him. He was asking me if I was excited about the year. Naturally I told him I was, because it wasn't a lie, but I was excited for more than the reason he thought. Looking back, I caught a glance of Dawson and the expression on his face made me laugh. He wasn't too thrilled with Lucas helping by the looks of it and I found it amusing. Giggling, I turned my attention back to number five, carrying on the conversation the entire walk to get our luggage.

Arriving to the hotel, my breath was taken away with the inside. The chandelier hanging in the middle is what caught my attention first, then the workers charming hospitality. Walking to the front desk, I checked in, thanking the manager for my key before I went up to my room. The boys had to go straight to base which made sense. Today was just a diagnostics test, ensuring everything was fine with the planes before they started practice tomorrow. While their commander told me I didn't have to go capture anything today, I felt the excitement in my bones. I wanted to capture everything. Even the things the pilots thought no one would find fascinating.

After check-in, I changed into something a bit more comfortable. I settled for my yoga pants, an oversized sweater, and a pair of my Nike's. It wasn't too cold here but I knew I would feel it after spending most of the time outside on the tarmac. Leaving the hotel, I headed straight for base. I was let in rather easily considering I had the press credentials and temp card.

Setting foot on the tarmac, I let out a content sigh, watching the pilots go over everything with the engineers. Snapping shots without being disruptive, I stayed focused on what I was here to do, but I caught myself always moving my lens towards Dawson.

Stop it.

Now I was annoying myself.

This year is going to be terribly long.

Dawson
After deciding there was no way to resist Isabel the way I told myself I needed to, it took me less than a month to find a loophole. Sure, we were traveling together for a year on business but where we went and what we did on the few spare weekends in between were up to us. I knew we couldn't spend them out in public holding hands and sightseeing, but I did learn how to book hotels in the same vicinity as hers in the cities we had free time and just show up as a "guest" at the door.

The first time, it was meticulously planned and the first thing I did when I laid eyes on her, nothing but the doorway standing between us, was bridge the gap, pulling her closer towards me and bringing her lips towards mine, pleased when she didn't pull away, but rather returned the hot kiss. Those weekends when I dressed as a civilian and quietly made my way to her room, knocking in the way we agreed, so she knew it was me, we didn't ignore the chemistry, but unlike before I took the time to get to know her while we laid together, staring into her eyes. It was when I found myself forcing myself to make it through the long weeks to have these spare weekends that I knew, what I felt for Isabel was real, and this wasn't just some arrangement I could let go of when the season was over. I wanted to be with this woman, I wanted the world to know she was mine and it killed me that for now, only i could know and in the public eye, I had to keep a distance when all I wanted to do was stand next to her as I watched her win over not only my heart but the hearts of my crew. Isabel had become a member of the Blue Angels and strangely, I couldn't help but take pride in how things turned out.

With three weeks since our last free weekend, I had to keep myself from running to her door, while I knocked twice as part of the routine, I smiled giddily when she answered, walking in slowly, making sure the door was closed behind me, before I pulled her into a long kiss, cupping her face gently with my hands when I did. Her lips tasted like her morning tea, it was sweet, but still earthy and over the weeks I had grown to like it and even long for its familiarity. With three weeks since I last got the opportunity to be this close to her, I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay away, especially with Lucas continuing to make sly passes her way and me being completely unable to defend myself, this moment was what I longed for.

Finally pulling away for a breath, I whispered into her ear while I kissed her neck. "Hi Amor, I missed you."

Biloxi, Mississippi
Isabel
I wasn't opposed to these weekend "getaways" even if all we could do was be in whichever hotel room he and his commander agreed on. So far, I loved them all. They each had a unique vibe and offered a wonderful array of cocktails that kept me content during the nights I wished Dawson was laying next to me. The weekends we had to spend were what got me through every week of photographing the pilots every move. So far, the assignment itself was coming along smoothly, and everyone in the crew were such beautiful people. Getting to meet every single one of them, getting to know their stories was amazing to me and being part of this wonderful experience was even better.

The past three weeks have taken a lot out of me. We traveled to three different cities, right now we were currently in another, getting an entire week to unwind before their show next weekend here. I was more than grateful for this because I was tired and I missed Dawson. I grew so accustomed to spending nights with him, staying up late and talking after we gave into our desires of intimacy that being apart for so long, not getting to acknowledge each other how I wished we could made me crave this break even more than the others.

Waking up, I let out a groan as the sun made its way into my bedroom. Walking out of the room, I put on my red silk robe, going to the kitchenette area to make my usual cup of morning tea. Today I decided on a much sweeter one than my usual Earl Grey. I had rose tea and while I sipped it, I sat on the little couch, watching the local news before flipping to a national news challenge. This was how I spent my mornings while away from home and on assignment. I never gave myself to stop thinking about what I do for a living because every story fascinated me in a certain way.

When I heard the familiar double knock, I smiled, practically jumping up from the couch to open the door. Seeing Dawson standing on the other side of it always made my heart race, making me wonder what we would do for the day. Usually we were lazy and laid in bed since going out in public wasn't an option. Today I felt like cooking and luckily I went grocery shopping the moment we got in to Biloxi. I had a lot of memories here in the area and being back here brought along a sense of nostalgia. We were headed for Corpus next month and I wished I could show Dawson around my hometown but that would have to wait for when this show season was over.

Letting him walk in, I let him shut the door, smiling when he pulled me into a kiss. I got the same feeling I always did in my stomach: butterflies. Every kiss we shared was eccentric.

When we finally pulled away, my smile never faded when he moved to kiss my neck. I tilted my head to the side, smiling even bigger when I heard him call me amor. It became our thing and hearing him say it always made my heart skip a beat.

"Mm, I missed you more. How's the crew settling in here?" I asked him softly, taking his hands in my own before I kissed his cheek and lead him to the couch, grabbing the remote to change the channel. "What do you feel like watching? I know you don't want to watch the news."

Last edited:
Dawson
"Everyone's fine," I replied, not wanting to tell her they were all starting to become suspicious of where I went on our free weekends. This arrangement was becoming more complicated as the season went on but I wasn't going to stop what was happening between the two of us, I couldn't, not when she already consumed so much of me. But still, the last thing I wanted was to come clean to everyone else when I knew what it meant for Isabel's career. I felt responsible, but when it came down to it, if anyone found out she would be the one who would be under fire. I couldn't think about it too long because the guilt overwhelmed me almost as much as my feelings for Isabel did. There were some nights where I contemplated walking over to her room and ending whatever this was between us because I knew then there was no risk in what she was doing, but I was too selfish to let her go.

Keeping her hand in my own, I rubbed it gently with my thumb, not caring what was on the TV because I was focused on her. But given the opportunity, I took the remote to the remote and changed the channel to the first music channel that caught my attention before I grinned.

"Dance with me?" I asked in a whisper, moving the table against the door to free up some valuable floor space. There was only so much you could do when you were confined to the walls of a hotel room and this was my cliche attempt to do something new.

Holding out a hand to her, I pulled her closer to me when she took it and began to sway back and forth

"No one ever taught me how to dance so you'll have to forgive me," I confessed in a chuckle while I attempted to count each step meticulously in my head to make it look like I knew what I was doing, as most men do of course.

"Do you like this song?" I asked when I heard her whispering the lyrics, her smile was contagious and so was her laugh. "What is it?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back