• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

An Eternal Dance

Adria let August get up first, go to the car, before she moved. It was almost too effortless, how easy it was to lean forward, and slash the neck of first the man, and then the one called Krys. The wounds were deep, and the blood still pungent…now to be wasted. Adria could have drunk more, perhaps she should have then, rather than let it all go to waste, but she didn’t. She was not meant to get used to this, to fuck up like this.

“I think he is staying, for now.”

There was the voice – Ishara – that had been silent for too long. Adria didn’t answer it, but gave a subtle nod, perhaps to August’s words, perhaps to Ishara. ‘Then we have some time.’ The demon wouldn’t be able to move in the day either, not yet. Not ever. Adria didn’t really know how it worked for them.

To study a demon…now that would be something…but she wouldn’t have that chance with this one. Not here, not now. Her foolish want to study a draugr put them in this mess, she couldn’t try to study something again, especially not something she didn’t understand in the least. No, she needed to find theories on capturing demons or rending them corporeal enough to harm. Just killing the host wouldn’t be sufficient. At least…she didn’t think so. She really didn’t know how this worked.

“Yes. The hotel,” she forced herself to stand, shoving the bloody dagger back into its sheathe. She needed more daggers now.

"Run. Buy a train ticket and run again.”

Ignored. She slipped into the passenger’s seat, didn’t question if August knew how to drive, just assumed he did as she offered the keys to August. Tomorrow, then. She would figure out how to speak tomorrow. She turned her head towards the window though, and fell silent, reflection distorted as usual in the glass. “Do not feel too bad,” offered, without looking, “that thing is no longer a draugr. No one would have been prepared for it….” Not even her. She hadn’t thought the demon would possess it.

~***~

The hotel really was not far, and Ian’s eyebrows lifted, impressed, before he gave a nod and followed the verbal instructions, walking alongside Ray. The man could always correct him if he missed a step or got distracted by the sights. The sights were, indeed, worth looking upon. There were so many dizzying buildings here, and so much interesting architecture.

His grip on the box instinctively tightened when he felt it moved, barely registering Ray’s words at first, before they came crashing into him when he looked to the box to check it, and then saw how Ray was moving his hands away, trying to become small again.

“No, you just startled me – if you want to carry it, you can,” he offered, loosening his grip on the box to let Ray take it, if he liked, as he would take the necessary turn to put them closer to the hotel. Closer, hopefully, to Adria herself, and finishing up what he came here for. He was still nervous about how all of this may go, but he kept that masked.

He knew it wouldn’t go perfectly. Nothing ever did.

August could not help but groan wearily as he learned that Adria did indeed wish to return to her hotel. At this point, getting back to his apartment seemed a near impossible prospect, he felt. He was still slumped over the car's wheel, his eyes shut. When he heard the door shut and the jingle of the keys Adria offered to him, he opened his eyes, leaning back into his seat. He snatched the keys out of her hand and let out a sigh.

The low rumble of the engine was a mildly comforting sound to August's ears, and he lost himself in the noise.

He ignored Adria's words as he put the car into drive and got the vehicle back onto the road. No room for words. They creeped slowly, carefully on the smooth asphalt. August's lips tightened and his thin brow furrowed as he forced himself to remain attentive. The wheel was gripped tightly, fingers digging into the leather.

It was difficult at first, but the car eventually began to navigate more familiar streets and avenues, and it was evident from his heightened attention that August knew where he was headed. More of the city lights gradually suffused their surroundings, darkened buildings vanishing into the night sky, and the mild murmur of pedestrian chit-chat -- all of this seemed to intensify as they drove deeper downtown; richer, grander. They were certainly going in the right direction.

+~+~+~+~+

"... Thanks." Ray was quick to take the box from Ian, though when he realized he would have to be the one to lead them to their destination, he grew hesitant. He certainly was not fond of the idea of it, but a quick step and he was past Ian, making their way to their destination. Two blocks down they took the turn as the Nocnitsa had mentioned, and proceeded down that way.

Walking with the box, he felt much more... normal. Somehow. It certainly was not something he did everyday. But neither was helping out another kindred, nor was helping that said kindred pursue a potential diablerist.

Ray shifted his eyes to look at Ian, wondering if the Umbra was just as nervous as he. If he was, he certainly did not show it. He must hope -- Ian said that, and so Ray did too. 'Perhaps it is all we need,' he mused. Hope that the truth will be made known, hope that the situation was not as dire as the facts led him to believe.

The hotel was coming into view among the dozens of other needlessly grand buildings and towers, whose light stabbed into the darkness on the ground and up above. Ray inhaled a steadying breath, though his hold on the pizza box grew tighter. He glanced down curiously, the smell of sausage and peppers much weaker than before. He could feel it growing cold.

Adria thought to offer to let August stay the day, after his groan, but thought better of it. Gods only knew what he might stumble upon. She still hadn’t gotten through all the books she had with her, and didn’t know what sorts of notes lay in all of those that had been Valerius’s. She had taken what was important, though, that much she was certain of. His own research had once followed along her lines – the demon, the bond – back when he was far younger.

She didn’t – especially with August’s silence. It was good that he said nothing then, but later, it would strike him, and he would wonder what the draugr was. Later, she would deal with it, but right then she could only offer that, to try and comfort the man when he would go to bed. It wasn’t his fault; what happened was wholly unexpected.

She watched the lights pass by, starting to recognize them as they drew closer to the hotel. She let out a sigh of relief when it came into sight, and would let August get settled into park before she would unbuckle the belt around her, and stretch, before reaching to open the door, “Thank you, August.” She glanced to the mirrors, to try and understand the blurred visions of herself and make sure enough of the blood and injuries were hidden by clothing.

Only when she was certain, would she push the door open, “Be careful getting home,” she offered. He’d probably do something with the car tomorrow…hopefully.

It now belonged to two murdered people, after all.

Adria slipped out of the car then, shut the door, and would walk to the doors of the hotel.

She wouldn’t make it there.

“Avitus.” Not shouted. Just a firm call, that froze her, before she whipped around to see Ian following, with another. The looks of the other sent her own anxiety up a bit more, but the expression remained the same, even if her undead heart was racing. Dead. “Forgive me, your phone was disconnected…I need to speak with you.”

“No.” The denial came too quickly, and Adria almost cursed herself for it. A part of her was yelling at herself to recant it, to allow, to find a way to get out of this situation with words – she was good at that, but her throat remained tight, unwilling.

~***~

Ian was slightly amused with Ray’s desire to hold the pizza box, but it was allowed all the same. It must have been the scent, and the ingredients. To Ian, they didn’t really entice him with their scent, but perhaps they still had a pull to Ray. Regardless, he was happy to allow the man such a thing. It let his hands be free.

They came closer to the lights of the city, closer to the lux of it, and Ian couldn’t help but think of rolling his eyes. He didn’t – but this part definitely reeked of the Lex Legis. ‘Like Valerius.’ Certain tastes were probably inherited in the Desirae, or else they just picked people like that. It was always easy to tell that Valerius had once been a part of the Lex Legis; his demeanor spoke of it, the cold and graceful mannerisms.

He wasn’t what one expected of a scientist, nor was Adria.

‘Speak of the devil.’ He almost stopped walking when he saw her getting out of a vehicle, looking rather disheveled from what he was used to seeing. He thought he saw blood, but he wasn’t certain, her attire was dark. She shut the door, and Ian had a moment to debate if he wanted to let her get into the hotel first.

He decided no. Public was better. She couldn’t do much right then, and so he increased the length of his steps, brushing Ray’s shoulder to make a gesture, so he would see and know why. He shut his eyes a moment, focused, and when they opened, he saw the aura around her…only it was different. There weren’t black veins like a diablerist ought to have, but there now streaks of a brilliant pink through her aura – the same that Valerius once had. He’d never seen them before in others.

Other than that, the hues were muted, but readable. Calming pale blue, that blended with a more panicked orange. Something must have happened, but she wasn’t aware of him, yet. “Avitus.” Single word that would get her attention, her former surname.

It did, spectacularly. The blue was almost entirely replaced with that orange, though it darkened at the edges like an ocean. The pink, however, remained. Brown bled into it, and red then, tinting it, the bitterness of her aura obvious to him, but hidden behind her mask. He blinked, and the distracting hues vanished. He got the information he wanted – no black veins. But the pink…that was curious still.

“Forgive me,” he said when he was close enough to speak more comfortably, “Your phone was disconnected…I need to speak with you.”

“No.” It parted her lips sharply, immediately, and he was actually taken aback by the swiftness of her denial, and the lack of details or excuses.

The beacon that was the Sunset drew near as the car cruised down the street, before slowing to a stop in front of the bustling building, clients coming and going even at this hour of the night. August took a deep breath and exhaled at their arrival, as if some great burden was lifted from his shoulders. He was closer. Almost home.

"Mhm. I'll be careful, don't worry," he murmured in reply while Adria made her way out of the car. As though speeding back home wasn't the foremost thing on his mind.

He found himself waiting. August would wait until Adria finally was inside the hotel before leaving. It was only the right thing to do. She had looked out for him, after all. But he saw the Thanatologist stop in her tracks, turning as he heard a muffled voice call out some strange word. And then came that look again, that emotionless stare that disconcerted August to no end. Something was wrong. Again.

"No." From the window he could see Adria mouth the word, with that icy expression of hers. With that, he turned the key to kill the engine and opened the door, staggering as he left the car. He craned his head to find two tall men, one carrying... a pizza box? The man holding the box, lanky and wearing a parka, was the first to turn to glance at August. Large, mournful eyes behind a surgical mask met the green of August's and the Enforcer was put on edge, similar to how he felt at the asylum earlier that night.

Did Adria know these two? Who were these people? Were they going to harm her? As reluctant as August was, there was no choice but to find out. "I would suggest you back off," he called to the two as he strode as best as he could to Adria's side. His injuries were still apparent, and as he called out he saw others looking, glancing curiously in his direction... though it seems the man in the parka was getting a few looks of his own, not all of them simply curious.

+~+~+~+~+

Behind the mask, Ray's mouth lined itself in a frown as he looked in disappointment at the cold pizza. It was inevitable, but already he missed the feeling of heat on his cold skin and the delicious smell. He and Ian were very close to hotel by then, and as the looming tower of light and cacophony approached he snapped to attention. Here they would see if hope was enough.

Ray jerked to a stop as Ian seemed to pause. The Umbra was fixated on something, and Ray swiveled his head to where Ian was looking.

Ray, too, noticed the dishevelled woman exiting the car. It was the woman Ian was searching for. Adria. He could feel it. And it seemed that he was right, from the way Ian hastened his steps, from the way he strode. At the brush of his shoulder, Ray knew to follow. Quickly.

Ian called, and the woman froze and turned in her steps. Ray stared, studying Adria as the two of them approached. That deadened look on her face was strange to say the least. Intimidating...

And so Ray looked around, and his eyes fell on the car from which Adria came from. She was with another. A man, injured if the bite mark on his head was any indicator, was looking over the car. They met eyes, and Ray froze.

"I would suggest you back off," the man called out as he moved in their direction.

The words of the Enforcer echoed in the moment, and Adria had the urge to step behind him, to use him as a shield, but she knew it was fruitless. Everything in Ian’s green eyes told her that much, crystallized into their own warnings, threatening to tear everything apart around her with that wordless disappointment. Adria wanted to scream, but her throat felt as tight as it had in the lab, as if again, everything she had was stolen from her.

Again, she was nothing.

‘I could scream. I could cry. I could start a scene and escape….’ But it would be only temporary. That was the problem. No matter what she did, she wasn’t escaping forever, and she didn’t want to run, again and again.

Ian’s gaze lifted to the newcomer, briefly taking him in, but not seeming to regard him as truly a threat. They were starting to get looks then. “Sir, I appreciate your instinct. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Ian Leclair of Salem,” ‘And you are much taller and I think stronger.’ The worrisome part of Adria’s protector, “Miss Avitus.”

“Serin.”

“Miss Serin and I need to speak, and unless she wants me to state why,” there was that threat, “I believe it would be appreciated if you left us.” His gaze flickered back to Adria, “Or would you rather have his presence?”

‘And have him know I murdered my sire, when he loves his. Ah yes. That is what I want. That is everything I want.’ Adria was having some difficulty keeping herself from speaking so sarcastically. The rage behind the mask wasn’t gone, but it twisted into defeat as she understood there was no getting out of this. “Fine.” It was spat bitterly. Did she want August there? Up to the moment he would hate her. Up to the moment he looked at her differently. Adria turned from Ian to the Enforcer, “The draugr was a demon, August. Please be sure the others are informed. I am not yet sure how to deal with such a thing, but if you kill the host, it will only let the demon go free. I’m sorry.”

“Wait – there’s a demon here?”

“Two.” Ishara answered. Though she had been quiet, she was also contemplating the best ways out of this.

“Yes. Now, do you mind, Ian? Let’s get out of the street,” and let August go home and forget her. If she wasn’t dead at sunrise, she’d be gone.

“How do you know this?”

“As if I’m going to tell you.” Adria had little interest in helping him. “You’re here—” cut herself off before she said it. “I have nothing for you and you know that.”

“I’m not your enemy.”

“You worked with him for two cen—decades, at least.” Centuries was meant, but they were still in the street. The expression shattered. Adria turned as she felt it, towards the doors, to enter and get out of the street as she wanted, to at least take this back to some idea of privacy. She was certain Ian would follow soon enough, but she didn’t want more words drawn out of her there, in public.

Of course, that was what Ian wanted – the expression to start to break. The lie to start breaking away. He moved forward as she turned away, and looked to the vampire with her. “August,” recalled what Adria called him, “please, if you two saw a demon, I need the details on it.” A demon was not a light threat. “I know how this looks with her right now, but I assure you, I don’t come here as her enemy.” There were no diablerist veins, he just had to know why Valerius was dead.

There was the possibility that even Ray might have some insight into demons, and he looked back at Ray to invite him to follow along, for he would step on towards the hotel to follow after the fuming blonde.

Salem? So Adria did know these two-- or at least, this Ian. The niceties discarded in the confusion of it all, August said not a word, though there certainly was no shortage of questions he'd want answered. He stared with irritated, brooding eyes at the man before him as he listened. It was evident they were receiving some attention, in no small part due to the dishevelled Enforcer's injuries and the hunched Nocnitsa standing some ways behind Ian, trying his best at avoiding eye contact with anyone and everyone.

More than anything, August wanted to know why. The evening certainly prompted that question more than once. Ian wanted him gone. He could tell much about the situation. "That is not happening." His voice was angry, it was confused, it was tired. "Now, see--"

August was cut off by Adria, who explained to him the truth. The truth about the draugr-- no, the demon.

"Wait - there's a demon here?" Ian had said, and August had thought. He was not even sure such things even existed. Just outside of the Enforcer's stare, Ray's head lifted and glanced at Adria with a perturbed look, accompanied by a quiet, muffled gasp and a strange thump on the ground. 'But...' August remembered the draugr, bloody and beaten, rising again on broken limbs. He heard its voice, low, and rough as sandpaper. All of a sudden, he was not so sure anymore.

While Ian and Adria argued further, August grit his teeth as he struggled to make sense of things. Vexing, irritating things. "I would like to know the details too," he growled, his focus shifting to Adria, whose back was turned. What else did the Thanatologist she have to hide? Why did she hide it? He noticed Ray now by Ian's side, the Nocnitsa's arms drawn together and hands fiddling nervously with one another. A few feet away, a box of pizza was on the curb, its contents spilled onto the sidewalk.

"As an Enforcer of the Lex Legis, by god I hope so," August swore vehemently, the threat behind the words crystal-clear as he said it. More were staring, looking, listening now as the Enforcer spoke heatedly. He had to tell Metis -- no, there were so many people he'd have to inform -- as soon as he'd learned everything he could. He straightened himself to look bigger, before clutching at his side with a hand, a sharp pain entering his body from the sudden motion. "I... will not leave. And I will not have any trouble from the likes of you two in this domain." His eyes fell on Ray. "Who are you, even?" August's eyes narrowed.

"R-Ray." Ray seemed to shrink slightly at the harshness of August's tone. "I am not from Salem. I am with him." Ray looked to Ian as the latter moved to follow Adria into the hotel. Silently, the Nocnitsa was quick to leave August to follow, huddled to the side of the Umbra. Muttering to himself the way through, August trailed behind.

‘You tell me of a demon but not of this.’

Adria was fuming, irritated with Ishara, whom she could not speak with then. At all. Could not gather information from. Ishara did contribute on her own at times, but not enough, not right then. ‘Help me!’ She wished she could scream it. ‘You got me into this, help me!’ She liked to think Ishara till needed her, though she knew that was a vain hope. Ishara had discarded Valerius for her, she could discard Adria for another.

Yet for now, they were tied. Until another accepted, they were bound, Adria’s fate was Ishara’s.

“There is a journal.” Ishara finally spoke as Adria went to the stairs, rather than elevator, to draw more time. “The one you read, that spoke of the Study of Souls.” Not Soul. No, this was the forbidden study, the one that considered diablerie a legitimate practice and study. “It speaks of demons as well. It does not mention I, not…exactly. Valerius wrote of speaking with demons.”

Great. Something to go on, something to prove why she would know, and to show what Valerius was. “It does…indicate he is Faustine.” Which would mean, so was she. Bloodlines were always inherited. Adria swallowed. Some sacrifices were necessary, she supposed. Just because she was that bloodline, wouldn’t mean much – if they even found or understood how he wrote of it.

The door. The room. ‘Or torch everything.’ That needed to stop being her default desire. Besides, she did not want to kill August. He was the first vampire she actually liked. Ian, she may have…if he were not tied to Valerius. ‘He didn’t know. He was ignorant, deluded, like you….’ To take it all back…to turn back time….

Ian had hung back with August, hearing his threat clearly, but not letting it bother him just then. When he spoke of Ray, however, he narrowed his eyes on the Enforcer. ‘Lex Legis.’ Good. This would get as high as possible, quickly. Ian had nothing to hide. “Ray is a citizen of your own domain, Enforcer,” he opted for the title now that he had it. More polite, he’d heard.

Ian let Ray remain at his side, following after the blonde, who did lead them to one of the rooms on the upper floor. She didn’t look back to them, threw the door open, and then went right to a vanity, where a few books were piled up – always books. She grabbed one, black, leather, and threw it at him. He barely caught it, fumbled with it when it came into his hands. Good aim as always – but he knew that. He’d seen her with those knives and was glad she didn’t throw.

She did throw her cloak off, and he heard the clink of some of them. She took a seat on the bed then, one leg crossing over the other. She didn’t speak, and Ian would let August shut the door as he stepped further in and opened the book. “This is in Latin.” He stated.

“Of course it is in Latin.” A language she was forced to learn. “Loquerisne latine?” Ian looked up blankly at her. The accent was Valerius’s there, not the ecclesiastical Latin, but Classical. "Do you speak Latin?"

“No….” Ian didn’t, and he looked to Ray, wondering if the Spaniard might – Christian. Perhaps Catholic. Perhaps Catholic enough to have learned Latin. It would be the classical variant, but there wasn’t much different in the written – except that Valerius was an asshole and didn’t leave much room for spaces or even punctuation. Damned Roman. “Do you?” He didn’t even consider that August would. “What’s in here, Adria?” He asked.

“Everything. It’s the study he kept from all of you. The study of Souls.” Plural purposefully, and Ian did note the emphasis. Adria then looked to August – he was thrown into this mess, and she did feel a pang of sympathy for him. He had to be confused. She spoke a bit more openly towards him, “My sire…Valerius Avitus…he was a Thanatologist as well. Roman…he studied a few things he never should have. It’s why I know a bit about demons.”

‘I didn’t pick him. I didn’t decide this…I didn’t want this….’

So Ray was at least a part of the domain. This fact ordinarily would have set August a bit at ease, but as he stepped up the stairs behind the rest of the group, the Enforcer was nothing less than irritable. At Ian. At Ray. At Adria. At everything.

Beneath his crossed arms, August's fists clenched, his stare sharp as the Thanatologist's daggers. It was uncomfortable, being in the dark. Demons existed. There was a large chance he could have been killed by one in the asylum, and he would have never known. And now he was in this mess. Behind Ian and Ray's backs, he glowered at the two as they reached Adria's room. He had to stay. He had to know, and it was expected of him.

A 'thump' called August's attention to Ian, fumbling in his hands some leatherbound book. Whatever sort of threat Ian presented, it certainly was not anything physical. So it seemed.

The well aimed toss by Adria caused Ray to jump, his shoulders tightening and teeth grit. The air was thick with tension. There was enough trouble surrounding this Adria, but the fact that the Lex Legis were somehow involved made it all the more concerning. At their best, they were rather trying. He did not want to know them at their worst. From what he saw of August's face as he looked behind him, he thought it was likely he had no choice but to.

"Thank you," August grumbled as he closed the door with some vigor, slamming it shut. Ray jumped once again. He looked to Ian as the Umbra opened the book, and his eyes went wide as he recognized the words on the page. Latin, as Ian had stated, though the lack of spacing and punctuation rendered the text a bit difficult to parse. He furrowed his brow as he peered a bit more closely. Reading the language in a non-biblical context struck him as strange. Not that he often read the language, nowadays. That was long ago.

"O-oh," Ray said when he noticed Ian had looked to him. He nodded wordlessly as he motioned to take the book from Ian's hands. His bony fingers flipped back to the first page of the tome, hesitantly resting on top of the paper before reading. Meanwhile, August looked on from behind, looking rather confused.

The first pages. Adria remembered reading them herself. She had not gotten too much further that first time she read it; she had read more on the train than she had ever while she was in Valerius’s care. It started out like theory – what is the soul? Does the soul have weight? Is it physical at all? He went over popular human philosophies about the Soul, before he finally stated his own opinion.

The Soul was physical. The Soul had weight. It had taste, and it had a feel, and Adria wished she did not know any of that herself, wished she did not recall the taste of his blood still on her lips. Wished his corrupt soul had been repugnant rather than divine, but it was not. He there confessed he had practiced diablerie, and the book would outline his further studies into the art, the kinds of souls in the world. He was unrepentant about it, broke it down clinically in his book, developing a clearly Darwinian theory – the strong, the adaptable, survive. The tradition that forbade diablerie had to…adapt.

There would be talk of demons spaced throughout the book. It began with minor theory that no demon had its own corporeal form and that was why they craved to possess others. It had also made them rather difficult to destroy or trap, since they hopped to another when the host was destroyed.

If Ray was able to read through the disturbing log of souls and demons, he would find note of the one time Valerius had destroyed a demon, one that bound itself to a Faustian – a note made that it seemed the bond between Faustian and Demon was, indeed, potent. When the demon took over a Faustian host, it seemed able to truly transform the host and meld it to its will, as if it were a natural body to the demon. And so it would die…unable to flee to another body.

It would also speak, nearer to the end, of the fates of the childes who had failed his experiment to learn how to grow quicker again – adapt faster. Diablerized. And a few notes just beginning on Adria, with sparse mentions there of a new paranoia, because of an Ishara’s interest in her….

Of course, Ian was not patient enough to let Ray read through an entire text in peace, especially when he could not read it over his shoulder, and the woman who knew its contents was sitting there, merely watching. Waiting. “How do you know there’s a demon, Adria?” Ian asked pointedly, and as he saw the curve of her mouth before she spoke, he noted, “Remember, August needs to know,” he’d use whatever he could at that moment. “This realm needs to know.”

“Of course…,” but it was all she said. Ian waited impatiently, but the silence grew until he understood. Yes, she was hoping to keep it, to wait until she might be able to get some sort of official protection from this realm for information, thinking the Lex Legis might work like that. Enter into an Oath if necessary.

‘All right….’ Ian let a frustrated sigh part his lips. “You’re worried I am here to kill you. I am not, or Jaeger would be with me.” Well, he would have killed her if she had committed diablerie for sure, but without those veins in her aura, he was willing to not pursue it. He glanced to August, “Her Sire is dead. She killed him, she’s on the run for it,” sighed, looked back to Adria, “But I was more concerned you had diablerized him. I can see now you didn’t.”

Adria stiffened. ‘What.’ Her mind blanked at the blunt way he put it. He could…see? She could hear Ishara cackle then, and a part of her understood. Somehow, Ian could see diablerie. Somehow, Ishara was also preventing that. ‘Okay.’ This…worked then. But what were the consequences now in this realm – was it still death? What were the consequences back in Salem, if not death? “But you killed him, Adria, and I need to know why.”

She wanted to tell him to read the book. Instead, she said, “He was going to kill me, eventually.” Simple. Known. “He killed the rest of his childes before me. We were naught but experiments to him, to test the growth of vampiric skill in the early years, and for him to try and grasp that ability to adapt quickly and learn new skills. I wanted to live.”

A quick perusal was all that Ray had intended; he certainly had not imagined to be so engrossed, not by such a vile text. It was undeniable, as the Nocnitsa pored over the Latin -- Valerius was a genius. The amount of meticulous documentation and knowledge scribed by the man seemed beyond anything Ray could ever produce. It was an ambitious work, admittedly, surely the hallmark of a Thanatologist. Perhaps even seminal, were the subject not so taboo.

The soul was tangible. That was not something Ray had considered in depth, nor really wanted to. It was something that could be experienced, something that could be -consumed-. Valerius had done so. Derived a science from it. It was a brazen affront to God. A disrespect toward something as sacred as the soul, so essential to all, so necessary for existence -- and Valerius saw nothing of it, only a way to strength. As he read, Ray stood as stiff as a corpse, disgust bubbling within, skin crawling. Filthy.

Thumbing the old pages through the taxonomy of souls, Ray landed on a section concerning Valerius' theory behind demons, and paused, interrupted as Ian began to question the grinning woman sitting before them. Silence seemed to be the only answer she offered. 'How different they are,' he noted as Ian took the hint. It was but a small relief to learn that no diablerie had actually occurred -- though how Ian was able to determine such was another mystery.

He'd inquire later.

Where Ray found answers, August only found more questions, more confusion to it all. Adria was on the run. For murder. For killing her sire. Under suspicion of 'diablerie,' whatever that was. There, on the bed, was a complete stranger. His grimace was clear, a curl of the lips and a piercing look. But this stranger had saved his life, had helped him out where he could not help himself. But she'd lied. Perhaps that was what bothered August the most.

Everything about the situation struck Ray as wrong. Ian's description of Valerius back at the house stood in stark contrast to what Ray knew of the man now. Adria's justification seemed nearly plausible. His attention turned back to the book, continuing to take in all he could about the incorporeal beings. Of particular interest was one entry, detailing some sort of fight with one of these demons... and its bond to its vampiric host. 'Faustian.' From the written log, from the description of the relationship and transformative capabilities conferred by the potent bond, the Nocnitsa could only give a simple shudder.

It was enough. Ray quickly shut the book, and would pass it to Ian. "I... am inclined to believe her, Ian," he murmured, breaking his silence. He passed a glance to Adria, quick and shy. He dared not look for too long. "Valerius is an evil man. The book is proof of such. I am sorry." He stated it plainly, and would insistently push the journal further into the Umbra's hands, his expression disturbed, yet engulfed in pity.

"And so you run to this city and lie, drag me into this mess," August hissed at Adria, "and here we are, as failures."

Adria was safe, alive, but the look from August had been one of her concerns, and it proved true. He was angry. The reaction was no surprise, but it didn’t stop the lance of pain that followed with it. If she’d had her way, he’d never know. Her ‘lie’ had truth to it – she did intend to start her studies again, here if possible, though now it sunk in that such would not be possible. Ian had ruined that for her. She’d have to leave, find another place, perhaps change her name completely. Much as she liked Adria, it was only going to get her in trouble if people ever connected the dots back again.

“I told you.” Ishara’s voice rung out in the midst of it all, unheard by the others, as Adria lowered her head under the piercing look. Shut her eyes. Shut it out. “I am the only one you can trust now.” The words came out soothing, even if they were not. A warmth seemed to touch her, real or imagined, Adria did not question. It did not matter.

She did open her eyes to look at the one who believed her. A smile curved her lips, slight, but there, to meet his quick glance. His presence was still unnerving but she would rather have someone on her side than no one, and Ian seemed to trust that one to bring him here. "Gratias tibi ago."

Ian took the book back, wondering at its contents for Ray to declare the man evil. He was about to ask, but was briefly distracted by the outburst from August. No doubt he would be angry and in truth, Ian couldn't help Adria with this domain and its rules. Ray, if he thought it justified, could - but Ian was an outsider. He didn't know Lex Legis rules and Adria may noe be on the very wrong side of them. They loved their hierarchy. Though, the crime did take place outside of their city.

Adria didn't respond. She bit the inside of her cheek to hold back a protest. The lie wasn't a full lie. She wanted to research the draugr. She wanted to help. Yes, she was also leaving this situation behind...but it didn't change her intentions here. "It will do you no good." Ishara read the tension. "Don't you recall what happened when you trusted Valerius? Let that foolish desire go." Rationally Adria knew August had every reason to be mad, but what kind of person announced themselves as a slayer of kin?

"Yes." Adria had no will to argue. August wasn't wrong.

Ian shook his head, had no time for the petty squabbles of trust betrayed. It was...too normal among their kind. It was why he wasn't terribly surprised by Ray's declaration. It stung, to know his trust in Valerius had been misplaced, but it was not the first time...and he had been suspicious. Otherwise, he wouldn't have looked for reason. "Regardless, there is a demon on the loose and I am woefully unprepared. Our Enforcer, I assume, would like to get the information and get out of this as quickly as possible, so, how do we deal with a demon? How do we know this is a demon?" When the Enforcer had his information, he could ask Ray about the journal in his hands.

Adria gave a slight nod. "The draugr was put into torpor. It woke shortly after...intelligent. Speaking. It was no longer the same, but possessed. They have to possess hosts...most don't have a body on this plane of reality. They're incorporeal and when the host dies, they flee." She shook her head. "I don't know how to deal with it, but I know how it's current host looks," glanced briefly to August. "We didn't fail. We know what it looks like. We can use that. Regardless...I will leave when this is dealt with." She created this problem. She would see it ended.

Last edited:
A demon both of them were too weak and dumb to slay, set loose in the area with no means to track it. That was the situation they were in. The situation August was in. The demon was certainly not expected, but even so: August could see no way to follow up on it. He was lost -- a failure indeed, as he had stated in his biting words to Adria. Both of them were. It was the truth, as he saw it.

But perhaps he had spoken out of turn. Not that he would admit to it just now. It was evident the Thanatologist was affected, seemed ... hurt by what he'd said. Relenting, he muttered a "sorry," and left it at that and averted his eyes, remorseful.

Meanwhile, Ray flexed and curled his fingers behind his back, impatient. Not that he felt any sort of way toward the drama. He was far removed from it, and intended to stay that way. The book left a stain on his mind, a gross smear he would have to wash out. He anticipated the conclusion of this business, now that Adria had been found and questioned. He and Ian could concentrate on other things, never mind the demon -- he would simply have to be more careful, whatever that may entail.

The discussion turned back to the demon, and both Ray and August were relieved by the shift in topic. The Enforcer turned to Ian. "It was still injured when we fled. But when we were there, it was wearing a business suit. You know, professional-looking. Insane." He disregarded Adria's comment on her leaving as soon as the matter was settled. Ian was right. The sooner he could leave, the better.

"Ian, what do you mean you are unprepared?" Ray cut in. The Nocnitsa appeared taken aback by the Umbra's words. "We should not involve ourselves in this matter," he insisted, voice at a near-whisper. "It is dangerous. There are others surely better equipped to resolve this." He turned his head to August and back to Ian.

"I don't know what measures will be taken once I inform my superiors about this. But listen to the man," August agreed with Ray, "if you have thoughts of assisting, don't. It will be our problem," he continued, raising his hand to his chest. He was reluctant to admit it-- it would be their problem in addition to his and Adria's, one he expected would continue even after the situation was dealt with. If it could be dealt with. Consequences.

The apology was barely acknowledged, only with the barest of looks. It was not taken nor believed, but Adria did not comment on it. Such things were unimportant. She had foolishly thought to escape this, to lie, and live whatever passed for a normal life as a vampire, until she could do more. Tear this demon from her, go beyond what all others had achieved, and become more. Of course, that was the drive of every Thanatologist.

And so Ian was more than a little surprised when both Ray and August wanted him to back off of this. This was not how his own domain worked. If there was a threat to the entire population, as a demon would be seen, then the Thanatologists and all the rest would be asked to contribute in any way that they could. Outsiders, as well. “Of course this is dangerous, that is precisely why!” Ian said. “This does not affect just them, or just the Lex Legis – a demon is a threat to an entire domain, possibly more than that if it is allowed to rise in power, unchecked.”

Would Ray really just leave this alone?

Would the Lex Legis deny help? Well, actually, that he could believe. “I may not know much myself, but I have contacts back home who would be willing to do research and try to assist…a demon is no light matter, Enforcer.”

“The journal.” Ishara’s voice urged, and Adria rose.

“LeClair,” she did not address him by his first name any longer. He did not wish to address her by hers, at the outset. He glanced to her. “The journal. You can’t read it. It may have some answers. I’ll scour it myself.” Though he didn’t seem intent to let it go, he did slowly, gradually, offer it to her. It was no use to him, but still…he wasn’t comfortable with the idea of her having it, either. She may be cleared, may have killed him in self-defense, but if what was in here was so evil, he almost thought the book would be better burned.

Adria took it without any hesitance, and went back to where she had been sitting. Ian sighed, “If any assistance is needed, Enforcer…I believe Serin has my number.”

She repeated it immediately from memory. He gave a nod, “Though I understand if the Lex Legis will want to do things all on their own, but try not to let that pride destroy everyone.” He would be prepared to leave then, with Ray, not certain what to do with this situation now. He would have to check back in and let them know the situation with Adria, and after that...he wasn't sure.

Ray remained silent while Ian protested, let the man argue his case. There was a degree of empathy for the Umbra. He could certainly believe the danger a demon posed to those in the domain: to both vampire, and human alike. The contents of Valerius' journal convinced him as much. And that was why it was best to stay out of it entirely-- to see another night.

Let those responsible and in power figure it out.

"I certainly appreciate the offer," the Enforcer said, his dismissive tone indicating anything but appreciation. The response seemed almost a natural reflex, as Ray observed. August certainly was Lex Legis in that moment, and gratefully so. He would be glad to not run into him again.

It was the Enforcer's turn to be insistent, adding, with a noted hastiness: "But as I said, it's our problem, the Lex Legis'. It'll be best to leave unnecessary kin out of it." There was a hint of frustration now.

The two turned at the sound of Adria's voice, though August appeared to be looking past the Thanatologist, focusing on anything and everything else in the room besides her. The journal exchanged hands, and Ray found himself nodding in thanks to Adria as she settled back where she sat before. "Magna cum voluptate." He would follow Ian as he left. He felt uneasy, knowing Ian's strong opinion on their course of action, but it felt better being out of danger.

August grit his teeth at Ian's departing remark, opting to wait for a bit as the Umbra and Ray made their way out. He stood near the doorway, tense, waiting. Taking out his phone, he sent a short message to Metis, if she was available. More awkward standing ensued, an occasional glance thrown toward Adria's way. Words at that moment did not seem to come easy to him. Finally, he attempted to speak: "Once more, I'm sorry."

Latin. Such a pleasant language, even if his accent with it was different. It made it more enjoyable to hear it from Ray, to know it wasn’t the classical Latin. Despite that accent, he still seemed to understand, and Adria was able to lift her head up with a smile again, before the vampire would leave with Ian, leaving her with just August.

She expected an outburst.

She expected quite a bit, but what she saw instead was August only typing a message on his phone, and her eyes followed the gesture, before she simply asked, “Will I be executed?” Perhaps she was free in Salem, if Ian argued the case well enough, but she was in another domain. She was not a citizen here, either, but vampires usually did not take kindly to a childe killing their sire.

His apology was not truly acknowledged, except with the thought that he would be apologizing for what was to come. “There’s still time to catch a train….” Ishara was not an honorable demon, if such a thing existed. So, naturally, she was ignored. Adria might not be honorable herself, but she still considered herself responsible. She owned the death of Valerius. She owned the death of those two humans outside the asylum.

She had always been willing to do what was necessary. ‘And that’s how you keep getting into these messes.’ Yes, probably.

~***~

Ian was, admittedly, flabbergasted by the easy dismissal. This was not at all how things would have been handled in his own domain. They came together in these times, and he shook his head a bit as they exited, glancing at Ray and wondering how this could be so easy…to just…let it be. To just ignore a demon and continue on. Did he not fear that the demon would come after him?

Ian sighed though, as they made their way through the hall. He spoke quietly, so his voice would not carry, “What was…in that journal, Ray?” It had changed his opinion about the situation quickly.

He knew he’d gotten a brief introduction to the topic, but Ray had read some of it. He wanted to know what was in there that would make Ray trust a complete stranger so quickly, as he would need to report the situation with the officials back home, and try to convince them to leave Adria be.

The question was almost to be expected, yet it cut at August. Execution certainly was a real possibility, he'd caught word of stories scattered across the years. Discipline and punishment were two tools, to mold and control respectively. He knew this. It'd be harsh for the both of them, but without a doubt more severe for the Thanatologist sitting across from him. When it would come, he was unsure. And that began to make him nervous."That will be at the discretion of our Judges," he said, as the response came to his cellphone.

'Busy. Get back to you in a bit.'

Of course, she was a Commissioner, after all. There were other matters to attend to. He was ready to respond, to politely insist on her call, when he hesitated, a sudden, dangerous thought unfurling slowly in his mind. He stared at the screen, on as though on the verge of some new discovery, before pocketing the phone.

Could he lie to Metis?

The idea felt repulsive, against all that he knew. Yet the option stood there, an opportunity, a risk waiting to be taken. Something to save the both of them, at least for the time being. "What if I..." he began to say, before quieting once more.

"I need time to think," August brusquely muttered, opening the doorway. "I'll contact you soon."

+~+~+~+~+

"Foulness, that is all that's within," Ray said, more as a remark to himself than to anyone else. He was more than prepared to end his explanation right there, but he expected Ian wouldn't accept just that.

"He approached diablerie the way only a Thanatologist could," Ray remarked, "Such comprehensive classification and study of the soul we could only aspire to... but the man sees nothing in the soul. It is but a tool to power." A frown formed behind the lining of his mask.

"He talked of demons," the Nocnitsa added. "Mostly concerned with what they were. They are as Adria described. And some sort of discussion on demon-vampire bonds..."

Judges. Of course. Adria nodded. She lowered her eyes to her lap then, and waited, as if expecting the judgment would be given immediately by Metis. At least word of a trial. Or at least orders for August to take her to some sort of cell. Yet, none of those came. She did not look up until August began to speak, apparently getting no real answer from Metis.

‘What if I….’

Trailing words and trailing thoughts. Adria dared not a question or a hope force itself from her lips as she wondered at the thoughts. August didn’t complete them, and sometimes, it was better to let these things lie.

He wanted time to think. Adria rose again, gaze following him, but she couldn’t make her feet move any further as he opened the doorway. Just a slight smile, a cant of her head, and then, “Good night, August.”

“Change numbers. Change phones.” Ishara was insisting in the background. “Get a ticket and run!”

When the door would shut, when the steps would fade, Adria’s expression would slacken and she would speak into the air. “No,” though there was a tremble, it was still determined. “I am staying to clean this up.”

“You’ll die.”

“Then so will you, unless you can find another of my bloodline without a leech like you soon enough.” A few beats of silence. “It’s true, isn’t it? You can’t live without me, but that other demon was able to.”

“Calling us demons is a mistake. It’s like calling humans, animals. There are vast differences between a lion and a mortal, so there are myself and that.”

“I’ve no doubts…but humans are animals, and that is a demon.” She picked up the book, “And we are going to deal with it, and if you’re good…perhaps I’ll find a way to free you, that doesn’t kill my soul in the process.” Ishara did save her, perhaps selfishly, but she had. She deserved a chance.

She opened the book, intending to read until daylight took her senses and forced her to sleep.

~***~

Foulness was absolutely not enough reason, but fortunately, Ian did not have to ask for further clarification. He was startled into almost stopping as Ray mentioned what was in it. Diablerie. The literal study of diablerie. Which meant, he had eaten souls, and used them for power. Not only was he old then, he was beyond his age in power, beyond his blood in power, and Ian glanced back.

‘How…?’ How could Adria have killed him?

Sheer luck, perhaps, but…no, someone like that wasn’t stupid.

He didn’t even care about the demon part, or demon bonds, “But his aura…he didn’t commit diablerie, his aura didn’t show it,” this confused Ian the most, and he realized Ray might not know what he meant, “I can see auras, when I want to. I’ve seen the sin of diablerie in auras before – black veins cutting across all the other colors.”

Yet, didn’t Adria have veins in hers? Pink, but…he’d never seen them in another’s aura. Only Valerius’s.

‘Did she…?’

He should have tried to break into her head. He shook his head though, “I didn’t think there were ways to hide it…but I suppose if someone had researched it that much…,” he didn’t like that thought, though. Not in the least. Yet, weren’t thanatologists always about change? Why not learn to change the aura and how the world perceived you?

It was useful against some human hunters who had found ways to look at auras, usually through cameras. Vampire auras were far dimmer than human ones. He shook his head, "I didn't know...truly, I didn't know," he had spoken too gently of Valerius, and he sighed then. "Let's just...get back to your place and call it a night." Too much had happened, and he needed time to reconsider all that he knew. Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back