• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

An Eternal Dance

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
It was expensive to travel as a vampire, when avoiding the sunlight was a requirement. Fortunately for Adria, the death of her sire caused quite the windfall. The trip from Oregon to the city of Chicago by train was three days, but they were three days well-spent in study and preparation. The reminder of the irritation the sun presented brought to mind her need to return to her studies of vampiric banes, as well as her need to refresh her memory on vampires.

‘We are called the Desirae. That is fine. What you do not tell others is that we are Faustine. It seems to bother others.’

“We will be pulling into Union Station in fifteen minutes. Please prepare….”

Adria tuned it out with a shake of her head and glanced down at the black journal. Her sire had been mad, but useful in his madness and his years alive. He claimed to be from the Roman Republic, and Adria didn’t doubt. At times, when he slipped from sanity, he’d slip into Latin, or else adopt other mannerisms that seemed like they could only be from a time not yet forgotten.

Her sire kept a journal on all things related to kindred. He studied them, as a Thanatologists, but more as a Faustine.

‘They think we deal with devils. Best to lie. Kindred get uneasy when they think about their soul.’

And he had smiled in such a twisted way. Gnaeus Valerius Avitus never admitted it to her, but Adria was certain that he had always known other kindred had souls. He must have found out the same way she did.

Adria hadn’t known until three nights ago that vampires had souls. It did make her wonder if she was damned.

As the train came to a stop, Adria picked up her bag, and retrieved her luggage as well, suitcases full of books and clothing, the things she wanted from her sire to continue her education into changing her condition and mastering it in a way he never had. Despite being so much older than her, he had failed himself. She had advanced through the studies much quicker than he did, though perhaps that had been why he chose her, all those years ago.

Once off the train, she took a glance around to get a better idea of her surroundings. Union Station was huge, and humans were moving in every direction to catch trains, or to get off them. It was a confusing mass—she had never been in a big city before, and wasn’t even sure why she chose this city.

The blonde woman knew the only way out of the mess was to ask someone, but where then? She could get out of Union Station, but she knew not how to proceed from there.

Gnaeus had always told her that, when entering a new domain, one ought to present oneself to the officers, but she didn’t know how vampires went about doing that. A vampire was supposed to do this before even feeding, which was frustrating. She had spent the entire trip on the train without feeding. Were it not for her studies on the Beast, she would have gone into a frenzy from the hunger pains. Fortunately, that was no concern.

‘Just ask someone.’

Violet-blue eyes flickered about until she caught someone in a uniform. When the dark-skinned man’s eyes locked with hers, he found he couldn’t walk away. He half-heartedly handed off a bag of luggage to someone and ignored the requests of others around him as she approached. “Can I help you, miss?” He asked once she was in earshot.

She smiled, “Yes. I would like you to lead me out of Union Station, please.” Her sire had preferred to command, having that ability (and citing it as another reason to keep her status as a Faustine hidden—apparently those of the Imperator bloodline did not take kindly to others that knew their secrets). She preferred the more natural Desirae route, that of ‘Majesty’ as Gnaeus had called it. It caused people to recognize one’s inherent supremacy, and act accordingly. Different from ‘Dominate’, it made people want to do things, rather than commanded it be done.

“Of course, right this way,” and he stepped away from his unloading job to the irritation of the nearby humans, whom Adria ignored. “Do you need me to carry your luggage?”

“No,” no need to risk it.

“Are you new to Chicago? Do you have a place to stay?” He glanced to her, and figured it probably wouldn’t be a problem. Her purple dress spoke of wealth he could only dream of, as did the complementing amethyst around her neck as a choker.

“I am new, yes,” she answered, “Do you happen to know a good place?”

“Well, if you can afford it,” and he felt she could, or he wouldn’t have mentioned it, “there’s a place called the Sunset Resort.” Adria could see windows then, and the way out. He led her on, “There’s always cabs outside here, and any one of them ought to know how to get there.” Out the doors they went.

“Thank you,” she spoke easily.

“Not a problem. Is there anything else you need? I can—” she interrupted him with a shake of her head, but he persisted, “Are you sure?”

Ah yes, the downfall of Majesty. People entranced rarely left easily. “I am sure. You’ll want to leave now.” The eye contact was necessary. The man would never truly see what occurred as her violet eyes seemed to spin around the pupil for a moment, adapting hues of turquoise an silver as the command was given.

His back straightened, “Right away, miss. Have a good night!” A quick bow, before he hurried away, leaving her to figure out the cab situation and consider whether or not the Sunset Resort was going to be the best place to stop at.

Last edited:
August sometimes felt fortunate for his station in life - or un-life, that is.

He stood staring out the window of his suite - night had fallen, and he looked down onto to the street, a multitude of glimmering lights, sounds, people, and possibly, vampires. Out of all the potential districts to be assigned in Chicago, he ended up in one of the nicest. 'Near North Side,' around downtown, they called it - a residence for the affluent. Perhaps it was a way for his superiors to keep a closer eye on him. The thought lingered in his head for a moment. It felt uneasy serving the Lex Legis at times - it was hard work, and one always had to be on their toes lest another member step on them. But hopefully the Inner Assembly saw something in him. Sooner or later they would know his potential, and grant him rank.

The smartphone at his side buzzed, a cheery song filling the otherwise silent room. "Mister Hudson speaking," August said into the receiver.

"Salutations, Enforcer. Available to work tonight?" a feminine voice softly inquired.

"Of course," August immediately responded. It would be dangerous to say otherwise. Anyway, it was a bit cool outside, just how he liked it. He could do work in this weather. A few minutes passed before he hung up. His assignment was nothing too difficult; something he lamented - but it was necessary: a generic scouting mission - to watch for any potential meals for his brethren and superiors in the upcoming nights. As an Enforcer it came with the territory. He felt a pang of hunger rise within him; soon it would be time for him to feed as well - but that could wait, just for a bit.

Hotels seemed to be the place of choice for scouting missions lately, he mused. The Sunrise Resort, he was to head to - 600 North Lake Shore Drive. It didn't seem all seem too far from where he was at - a short cab ride away, or a slightly longer walk. He decided to walk, it wouldn't take too long. He quickly dressed himself: a white dress shirt and neatly pressed slacks would do, he thought - looks are everything, if that's how the saying went. August grabbed his keys and wallet, and after a moment, briskly headed out the door.

Catching a cab was easy work for a woman who could bring all eyes to herself, and so she paid little attention to the fact that the cab driver she approached was already engaged in talking to a family. “Excuse me,” she spoke up. The smile was all she needed to draw the mortal in—humans were so suspectable to the vampire’s powers, but that was to be expected. They were the food of vampires. Vampires had to adapt to be the perfect predators. “I need to get to the Sunset Resort, please.”

The woman who had been speaking with him sucked in a breath, “Excuse you, I was here first,” Adria cast her a sidelong glance, noting the way blood tinted her face in anger. Truly delicious.

‘Refrain.’ It was so very tempting to seduce the woman away from her husband and bring her back to the hotel, drink of her, and send her on her way.

Instead, she averted her gaze to the cab driver and saw that, while he heard the woman, he was waiting for Adria’s word. “What a pity for you,” her words were to the woman as she offered the cab driver her luggage, “Please, put this away?”

A huff of indignant rage, but the mortal did nothing other than stomp off to find another cab, calling for her family and muttering under her breath. She knew a lost fight when she saw one.

The driver put her things back in the trunk, and then opened the door for Adria, who slid into the backseat. She relaxed there, tilted her head back to look at the ceiling and plotting her moves. She needed to meet someone of the domain who could figure out where she was going to be allowed to feed, or whatever nonsense went into these things. ‘And perhaps, citizenship.’ She hadn’t even been a citizen in Oregon. Her sire prevented it, continually.

The drive took some minutes. Adria did eventually turn her head towards the window to observe the city, with all its lights, flash by her eyes. Upon arrival, she offered the bank card to the man and paid her toll, before taking her luggage from the back of the trunk. She denied the cab driver’s assistance in getting it anywhere. She still wasn’t certain if she would be staying here. ‘Gnaeus said that in cities like this, it shouldn’t be terribly difficult to find a place for the day.’ She had to hope that was right, for night would tick away and she did not need to be caught out in the sun.

As she approached the doors of the hotel, her eyes skimmed the people who seemed to be more interested in leaving the hotel. No doubt, they had places to be, and things to do, at this hour. This city didn’t seem to sleep. In doing so, her eyes caught sight of a man she suspected to be kindred, not only by his pale complexion but by the fact that his reflection was skewed in the windows he passed. It was not a thing humans often noticed—they deluded themselves—but she caught it. She was looking for it, of course.

So, Adria stepped down from the steps up into the hotel, and lifted her hand while keeping her eyes on him so there would be no mistaking who she was trying to get the attention of, “Hello!” Relief seeped into her tone. From his looks, she’d place him as a Lex Legis member, though she knew looks could be deceiving.

As he thought, the walk to the Sunrise Resort only took a tad bit longer than August expected - he actually had time to slow down for a bit and enjoy the evening breeze, and of course, the people. Ah, it was but the people he fawned over more than the night. His first few meals following the Embrace by his sire had been mind-wracking - he had gone crazy with guilt for the first victims he had practically eviscerated while feeding. 'Sloppy,' his sire would gently chide him until he had learned better ways to obtain his fill of blood, but sloppy he was no longer - although at times a brutal feeding was just what he needed. Though the Lex Legis was much more refined than that; he had to be more careful and discerning, though some occasions he still gave into such barbarity.

Vampires of the Lacertus clan sometimes didn't know their own strength, as his sire had told him. And it just wasn't too common for the Lex Legis to have Lacertus members - physical prowess, wasn't really something refined. But it was a tool of the powerful, a tool of oppression and domination. Only through careful use and cautious practice would he master his abilities, and continue to prove to the outsiders which covenant held this domain.

If only Serah could see him now...

It wasn't easy at all, but he blocked the memories from coming back; now wasn't the time for reflection. It was a time for close observation. He continued walking through the crowd, admiring the lovely night and the lovelier passers-by, until he neared the hotel doors.

The woman's greeting startled him briefly. He greeted her with a affable smile, before noticing the paleness of her skin, and the luggage... was she a vampire as well, maybe a newcomer? he wondered. Either way he had to get to work at some point, though he still had the whole evening before him.

"Evening, there," he intoned smoothly, straightening his posture. "What a wonderful night, no? Anything I can do for you?"

Adria saw him start, and returned his smile with a gentle one of her own. He did not react with hostility, so she saw no reason to utilize a discipline then. Kindred did not always react well when, and if, they figured out such a thing had been used on them. Very few liked to be manipulated. “It is pleasant, though…cold.” It was colder in Chicago than in Oregon. She had expected different.

Of course, she forgot about the nearby lake.

He made himself available for service, or at least, made it an option. Adria gave a nod, “Yes, actually,” and she let her luggage fall lightly onto the ground, though the thud suggested the weight of them.

She held out her hand to him, imagining it was still a polite gesture. She would hold out her hand for the stranger for a bit, but if he did not take her hand she would let it drop back to her side, “I am Adria Serin of the Thanatologists,” it could sound like any regular introduction to mortal ears, though they might not know what a Thanatologist. Most would forget it and assume she was some scientist of a sort. The few who looked it up would have that confirmed, but imagine she dealt with the simple study of death.

She rarely introduced herself by blood. Blood was not something she got to choose. Her decision to be a Thanatologist seemed more defining. “I’ve only just arrived, unannounced, I’m afraid,” did vampires announce these things? She should have found that out. She might already be in the wrong. “If you would be so kind as to help me figure out where I can stay, and whom I need to speak to about my diet, I would be grateful.” Diet seemed a choice enough word, not that anyone appeared to be paying them much notice.

August raised his brow, bemused. Such a blunt introduction, he thought - it was rare vampires around such a crowded city would reveal their affiliations so openly to him. A newcomer, indeed. He nodded briefly, as if agreeing to something he had just said.

"There's not much protocol regarding new visitors. Discovering new residents is a difficult task," August said, his voice softening. He reached out to take her outstretched hand in a firm shake, his brown eyes locked onto hers. She was pretty, he thought, prettier than most he'd known. He would go easy on her this time, unlike the many other outsiders he had introduced himself to. Time for first impressions - the most important way to establish power in a relationship. He tightened his grip on her hand as he drew a short breath. "August Hudson, Lex Legis," he started, "welcome to our domain of Chicago, Illinois." He loosened his grip, releasing her hand, and looked to the side, pondering for a moment.

After a short pause, his head turned back to face Adria. "Normally I would refer you to another member of our... organization, but I can inform you on just about everything you need to know for a new resident, if you'd be willing to sit down with me for a bit," he said, smiling once more. "Perhaps over... a drink or two?"

Adria was actually relieved to hear there was not much protocol. Perhaps her sire had simply talked these things up, or perhaps it was due to the size of the city. Either way, it worked to her advantage for the moment. She met his gaze as he took her hand, a firm grip at first that tightened. It did not hurt, but she could feel that it could. ‘Very well then.’

As she expected, he was of the Lex Legis, and this town was theirs. That meant it ought to be structured, but difficult to advance in, particularly for an outsider to the covenant. He gave no further title, which made her wonder if he had any. Curious. Much was curious about this individual, though.

As her hand was released, she inclined her head ever-so-slightly to say, “Thank you for the welcome,” and then looked up to see him looking off to the side. He seemed to be thinking, and so she did not disturb it with further words.

When he looked to her again, a more sincere smile broke across her countenance. Her earlier relief seemed to be correct. She had stumbled upon someone unusual, atypical, and she wouldn’t squander that. If all he wanted was a bit of her time for information, who was she to refuse? He was easy on the eyes and offering a drink, to boot. The Beast within was certainly desperate for a drink, and she knew that, logically, she needed it. She couldn’t live without it, no matter how immortal she thought she was. “That sounds delightful,” she said, and bent her knees to pick up her bags once more, “I’m glad to have found you, August. I’ll follow your lead, but I don’t suppose I could store my bags somewhere first? Bit of a hindrance.”

August blinked - oh, the luggage, she still did have bags to put away after all, and checking into the resort would take some time, he guessed. He run a hand through his short, dark hair. "Ah. Yes. Your bags. I can wait for you in the lobby while you check in and get your items sorted out," he said in a warm tone. "Feel free to take your time, of course. There are a few things I'll be taking care of in your absence, so there is no need to rush." He figured he could at least let his superiors know he had made it to his destination; it couldn't hurt to do so.

Certainly they would find this new arrival to be interesting, as well. It seemed that she dressed elegantly and was certainly a person whose money was no issue at all. Perhaps she could be studied, or used. He didn't know much about the Thanatologists or their operations. They could be beneficial. The possibilities were abundant.

He signaled for her to follow with a lazy hand, before sauntering over to the hotel doors, holding one of them wide open. "After you. As I said, I'll wait within the lobby. I still do need to find the hotel bar, after all," he said, before a mild chuckle escaped his lips. He felt a vibration in his pants pocket. A text? Perhaps the higher ups were a bit impatient for an update from him.

It was too easy. A voice in the back of her mind told her that, nagged at her, and it was not her own. It was another that was trying to vie for her attention, not Beast, either. Her Beast was too exhausted to protest anything, or even lift a metaphorical paw at danger.

This voice worried her.

Even so, she ignored it flawlessly as she walked up the steps with the vampire. “I will take a bit of time then, to give you time,” she answered him, easily walking through the open door with a grin on her lips, before turning her eyes to the mortal receptionist.

‘Please be useful.’ Adria walked to the counter, finding the man unperturbed at this hour, and rang the bell to get his attention after setting her bags down near her feet.

He turned quickly, greeted her pleasantly, “Good evening, ma’am, how can I be of service to you?”

“I would like a room, please, preferably one with heavy curtains. I dislike the sun waking me in the morning.” Her eyes followed his movements, his body language, after saying that. There was a small glimmer of understanding, which showed she had guessed right.

“Ah, yes, I understand,” he gave her a smile. Whether or not he actually understood was up for debate. “We do have such rooms available, and they run an average of $2,000 a night.” Adria didn’t flinch at the price. Such an excessive price ought to be expected in the town of the Lex Legis. No doubt, they knew immediately when anyone asked for such a room, too.

Safety cost.

“Sounds fair. I’ll take one, for just the night right now.” It didn’t. Were it not for August, she would have convinced the man to give it to her cheaper, but for the moment she chose to play by the rules of the city. That meant paying the fee, “A moment,” and she looked down into her purse and drew out the black card, handed it off. It had her name on it, so there was no worry about him looking it over and finding another. He slid it through, and it was accepted, of course.

The man smiled pleasantly and returned the card to her, then handed her a room card, “Your room is on the 4th floor. If you like, I can have someone help you with your bags.”

“No, thank you,” she said, slipping the card into her purse. She looked to August, raised a finger to signal she would be a minute, and then picked her bags right back up and walked off towards an elevator to see herself to the room. The elevator was swift, and she reached her room in only a minute or two. She didn’t bother unpacking, but placed her bags under the bed, then began to explore the room a bit.

It didn’t take her long to find the light switch that activated the sheets of iron that fell over the window. “Not exactly subtle.” She said aloud, then shook her head, walked to her purse, and took out her phone.

She called no one, but she spoke into it, taking a seat on the bed. One could never be too cautious, “Yes, it’s Adria,” she said, as if someone had picked up.

“We need to leave.”

Her lips curved into a smirk, “And why do you say that?”

“I can feel it. What was calling to me here is not good. There is something sealed here, something powerful, and it is no good for us.”

“Is that so?” She placed her hand on the bed, leaned back. The voice was her inheritance, but Adria knew better than to trust it. Only a fool trusted a demon, but an idiot called the demon out on being deceptive. “What is it?”

“Something older than I.”

Which meant older than Valerius. “You aren’t giving me much information.” A frustrating fact about her. “I think I’ll have to call you back after you’ve had time to research it.”

The frustrated shriek might have been piercing, if the demon spoke in any human way. Adria clicked a button on the phone as if ending the call and she put it back in her purse.

The creature was curious to Adria. She had never seen it around Valerius, nor did she see it now, but she heard her clearly, and at times, she could feel her. Adria knew enough to know what the demon truly desired of her, though. It was arrogant to think that she would be able to deny the demon, but arrogant was what Adria was. After all, if Valerius could avoid it for centuries, Adria could put an end to the cycle all together. Perhaps this sealed-away thing was even going to be…beneficial.

With a chuckle at her own thoughts, she slipped the purse over her shoulder and exited the room, walked back to the elevator and returned to the lobby.

As Adria proceeded to the counter to check in with the hotel receptionist, August pulled away to a corner of the expansive lobby, taking his phone from his pocket. A text message was displayed on the bright screen, short in words, but August knew he had to respond.

At the site yet, Enforcer? You're taking long... -Metis, it read. So they were getting restless, after all - his earlier guess was correct. Punching in the number he had memorized for so long, he waited for the Commissioner to respond. At last, the familiar feminine voice answered on the other end. "Enforcer?" the velvety voice asked, an expectant tone noticable in her inquiry.

"Your Word, Commissioner Metis," August greeted back, as he noticed Adria's signal from the counter, before watching her walk towards the lobby elevator. "I've arrived at the resort lobby only a few minutes ago, with an interesting newcomer I thought I should inform you on," he said, in a formal tone, devoid of the warmth his previous conversation with Adria had. Strictly business.

"Go on," Metis responded. August couldn't exactly derive anything from her voice.

"Her name is Adria, a Thanatologist, according to her introduction. She approached me as I neared the location. Purple eyes, blonde hair. Pretty," he said, his thought lingering on that last word. Well... it was true.

"I will need a more comprehensive report than that, Enforcer." The woman sounded unimpressed, something that did not sit well with August.

Immediately he spoke into the receiver. "I'll be sure to observe her as closely as possible, Commissioner, and let you know what I learn of her," he said quickly. "My promise unto you."

There was a silence over the line, before Metis broke the quiet. "I will need that in blood, of course, but I will hold you to your word, as usual, August." She hung up before August could get a word in, but she made it clear. He would now have to find out more of this Adria - he swore it to the Commissioner. And promises were not taken lightly among the Lex Legis.

Now his job began. As he waited for Adria, August took the time to observe the hotel guests entering and exiting the building, keeping an eye out for any lone individuals and couples. Acting as though he were touring the resort, using his smartphone's camera, he took shots of the resort lobby, attempting to include those of interest in the camera's field of view. He could use the photos as reference when he reported back to the commissioners and the Inner Assembly. He did this for some time, until he noticed Adria return to the lobby.

He offered a short wave, and approached her. "Back so soon," he said, feigning mild surprise, his voice warm once more. "Is your room suitable enough for your... needs?" he asked. "We will head over for drinks whenever you are ready," he continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
August was in the lobby, taking pictures it looked like. ‘Searching for us?’ Pictures could locate, but not identify. Perhaps looking through the camera of a phone served a similar purpose as looking into a mirror. She had never considered it. It would be one decent way to find kindred in an area, see which people blurred on the camera. Adria made a mental note of it.

Adria did not dare arch a questioning eyebrow, but brightened when he took notice of her, “Well, unpacking can wait,” she told him, offering a dismissive wave back towards the elevator, towards the room she left behind with her things. “The room is adequate,” for the price it was still ridiculous in her head, iron shutters or no. “I think I’ll rest easy later.” Hopefully.

With a motion forward, she said, “I’m more interested now in that drink, and learning more of this domain, ah…is it Master Hudson, or is there a more appropriate way to address you?” The Lex Legis and their titles. If they were to be out in public, and drinking for that matter, she expected a certain distance was necessary if only for the eyes and ears of other kindred.

Her hands moved behind her back then. “I’ll follow your lead,” in terminology, and in the more literal sense of following him to the drinking grounds.

"Hrm. Enforcer will do just fine," August replied, signaling for the Thanatologist to wait, as he crossed over to to the hotel counter. A few brief words and pointing fingers from the receptionist informed him to the whereabouts of the hotel bar. Gesturing once more to Adria to follow him, he crossed over to a short hallway. As he walked on, August thought on the various titles of the Lex Legis. There were a few reasons why the Lex Legis was able to take their domain so easily; and a huge network was one of them. There were a dizzying amount of titles to be observed, and though August had been part of the covenant for several years now, at times he struggled to remember the rank a few superiors of his had been assigned.

Knights, Commissioners, Judges, Viziers, Praetors of the Inner Assembly - Lex Legis hierarchy was one giant tree August was trying to climb - and each rank was notoriously difficult to achieve. It was almost a meritocracy of sorts. Enforcer was still a low position to be assigned.

At last, there was the bar, old-styled and elegant, and behind was, of course, the bartender. He pulled out a tall stool in the surprisingly uncrowded room, offering the seat to Adria. "Your seat, my new friend," he said, chuckling softly, before taking a seat in a stool of his own. He called over the bartender, who promptly sauntered over. "Straight whiskey, on the rocks," he ordered. "Thank you."

He turned his attention to Adria. "So, what brings you to the Lex Legis' domain?" August asked, curious. "You also had a few questions of your own?"

“Enforcer,” she repeated the word as if tasting it, discerning all its possible meanings. Adria decided it suited him. It gave him strength, and it also gave him a reason to be here, interacting with a new individual to the domain. If he was meant to enforce rules, that meant he knew them and could instruct on them.

They did not go out, but went right to the bar in the hotel itself. “Why thank you,” she said as she took the seat.

Adria couldn’t hide her confusion, and her amusement, when the man actually ordered a drink. The smile played at her lips as she wondered at his sanity. She ordered nothing, but shook her head when the bartender looked towards her, informing him without words that she would have nothing. She didn’t have the blood to spare to deal with voiding her body of the toxin that food and drink had become, and she was never willing to give into the effects of alcohol, unlike some vampires she’d had the displeasure of knowing.

Usually they got it from feeding on the drunk, though.

The vampire before her didn’t strike her as someone who got drunk for the hell of it, though. She might be proven wrong. She had been before.

“Yes, I do have a few questions of my own, but to answer yours,” she shrugged as the bartender returned with the glass of whiskey, and crossed one leg over the other, “research hit a dead-end in the northwest and I thought a change of scenery might help. I spent all my years up there,” a dismissive wave, indicating that area was of no importance. “I’m not sure I’ll stay here yet, so I wish to know what is available here. I understand it is a Lex Legis domain, and I have no wish to challenge the power. My home domain wasn’t run by Thanatologists…we don’t often meddle in such things as the power struggles of politics.” That much was true of most Thanatologists, who ended up invested in their research.

They did back politicians who promised to aid them, though, but otherwise didn’t care. At least, that was the reputation as Adria understood it. “I would like to know what I can do to insure the usual rights to life here,” she met his gaze then, “and how I might be of service to continue having those rights to life while I remain in the domain.” What Lex Legis would be against someone seeking to be of service? She was not hiding her presence, and was asking permission. That had to go over well.

All Adria was asking was food and shelter. She didn’t think it much. “I am also curious if other Thanatologists exist in this domain, or in nearby territories.”

August flashed a bright smile at the bartender, as he listened to Adria's words. So, a researcher then, she was, and willing to be of service? That could potentially work. The Inner Assembly was wary of hiring outsiders, but it did look like she could pass. August rest one of his arms on top of the bar. "First off," he said, "considering this is our territory, one must accept the Lex Legis as the rightful rulers of the kindred in this domain, and beyond." The history of the proud covenant stretched back centuries, their kind having held onto several positions of power throughout the ages. It was their right to rule, so the Lex Legis thought, and August did agree.

"Our kind in general do not mind outsiders as much, so long as they realize who is in charge. In fact, I do think some other Thanatologists reside here, though I will have to ask around - after all, this is a big city and a place of many resources," August said, tapping his glass with a finger. "If you are willing to be of use to us, as you say, I can see to make an arrangement for both a stipend and later, citizenship. Quite a few of the elders are old money." He grinned, taking the glass, and smelling its contents. This will not be easy to do, he thought to himself. He drew a sharp breath, before taking a sip of his drink. The familiar taste of alcohol was there, though as a vampire, his body rejected both food and drink. Quite badly. Reluctantly, though attempting to keep a straight face, he swallowed the whiskey, a painful burning sensation at the back of his throat as he did so. It was a practice the Lex Legis sometimes performed, mostly to impress other kindred. August was not the best at it, and he knew so; he would have to purge it. And soon. His face grimaced, before he forced another smile.

"Er, ahem, as for residences, there are quite a few places you could stay at in the area. I imagine you must be someone of sufficient funds, so there should be not too much trouble finding some apartment of sorts. If you wait for the arrangement to be made, you could certainly afford some of the more high-end residences. I know I can. Rights to life are guaranteed so long as you do not interfere with the Lex Legis' operations. Otherwise we may have to remove you," August continued, smile remaining, though his eyes occasionally wandered to the bar's exit. He rummaged through his pocket, taking out his phone. Perhaps there was a way to leave without overly embarrassing himself. "I... actually have to make a call. Any other questions so far? After, I can show you where we can 'eat,'" he said.

Were the Lex Legis going to make her swear to such a thing, about how they were the rightful rulers of all Kindred? Adria could lie, but she’d heard tell of their oaths. ‘Well, hopefully not.’ Adria couldn’t lie that well. She could accept their rule where she was, but she couldn’t in good conscience say they were always right in every location.

Adria didn’t dwell on it long, but nodded in understanding at his words about outsiders, and the possibility of their being other Thanatologists. It quelled some worry. She didn’t think a city could truly survive by hosting just one covenant, no matter what covenant it was. Others from the outside who weren’t allowed in were bound to usurp them. “That is good to hear.” She said to word of the stipend and potential citizenship. The stipend would be useful when the money dried up, though Adria thought it should last a while.

August continued after his drink, his smile forced. Adria wondered if she’d have to move to avoid a reaction by his earlier grimace, though. “I can wait,” she answered his comments about residence. “I have no intentions of interfering,” well, she didn’t think so. She didn’t imagine she’d have a reason to.

When he glanced off towards the exit and spoke of needing to take a call, she shook her head and leaned back, “No, go handle your business first. My only other questions revolve around when I might be able to meet those in charge, but I understand that could be a while.” Unless the Lex Legis wanted to know immediately who was in their domain. Some were like that. She expected it was more likely she’d meet a hoarde of representatives first. “Please, take your call, Enforcer. I’ll wait here.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a word was uttered by August as he swiftly left his seat and walked out of the room, an uneasy look on his pale face. Drinking was a bad move, without a doubt. Entering a nearby restroom within the lobby, August quickly unbuttoned his dress shirt, slinging it over a stall door. He had to purge the drink from his body, but he did not intend to return to Adria looking like he had just come from a warzone. He heaved over the toilet, clutching tightly to his stomach as crimson bile spewed forth, staining the water red.

This went on for a few minutes; by the time August was done, the familiar sense of hunger rose up in him. Earlier, feeding was not too much of a concern, now it was the foremost thing on his mind. Where could he go... he could hunt in the downtown area, as there were quite a few hidden alleys and buildings in construction, or perhaps he could visit the more seedy portions of the city, where he could feed more violently and not arouse a great amount of suspicion. But then there was the matter of Adria. He supposed he could call the Commissioner for a short moment. Once more, he dialed and waited for her voice to come up.

"Enforcer?" the woman's familiar voice answered, not unkindly.

"Your Word, Commissioner, I've another piece of information for you. The Thanatologist Adria seeks to serve - I was wondering if we could arrange a meeting between you and her at some point," August said.

"Seeks to serve? Does she have any credentials or anyone who can vouch for her? Besides yourself," Metis replied.

"Not that I know of."

An audible sigh could be heard over the line. "Alright then - I'll have to bring a notary with me but we could work something out. Ask when she is available and send me the details."

"Yes, Commissioner."

"I shall see you then, Enforcer. Carry on." She hung up. For all the time August had known Metis, he did not understand her well. August carefully peered out of the stall door, making sure there was no person present within the restroom. He washed his face in the hotel sink, cool water running down his skin, before rinsing his mouth thoroughly, taking care to ensure no water entered his body. There was no need for a second episode of what just happened. He carefully re-wore his shirt, and returned to the bar and his seat beside Adria. "My Commissioner tells me she can arrange a meeting with you. Let me pay for my drink, then let's discuss the details as we 'eat,' is that alright? I'm nearly starving." He cracked his knuckles in anticipation.

He exited immediately, and Adria couldn’t stifle the laugh that followed his departure. From his haste, there was only one thing to be discerned. He had to empty his gut of the toxins he had just put in, and rather quickly. ‘How old are you?’ It wasn’t always easy to figure that out.

Left alone at the bar, she drew some eyes and the bartender came by again. “Are you sure you don’t want anything, miss?”

She shook her head, “No, I don’t drink.”

“We have water and sodas, as well,” he tried.

Adria shook her head, “No, thank you.” All she wanted was blood. She supposed she could convince the bartender to check the back for some sort of exclusive drink and then take his blood, but it wasn’t worth it. She would not hunt in these grounds until near-death, or she got permission, and she trusted August on his words about eating next. ‘Although, if we end up at an IHOP….’ That sort of teasing would not be appreciated for long, no matter how easy on the eyes he was.

August returned before she could be truly disturbed by the humans. The smirk was not unkind when he returned, “That sounds like a good plan, I appreciate you finding the time to get in touch with your Commissioner.” She was happy about that, actually. Even so, she couldn’t resist adding, “Hopefully you will be able to keep a meal down,” as if she didn’t know. Though, she still checked his expression to see if it faltered any under the comment.

She stood, the move drawing the bartender’s attention once more and he came over to them. He hadn’t forgotten he was owed money, after all. Adria resisted the urge to simply talk the man out of it. She didn’t yet know if she’d be cheating a vampire worth respecting out of some cut of this. Considering the hotel had all the appropriate accommodations for a vampire, she didn’t want to risk that.

August returned Adria's smirk with one of his own, though it was slightly bitter in nature; there were no words to be said. At least he had not gone out in a more embarrassing fashion, he considered, or, god forbid, already spewing up a storm before leaving. If Metis had been around to observe him, she might have been furious. August retrieved his wallet, producing a handful of bills. Turning to the bartender, he asked, "How much will it be?"

"Just five, sir." The bartender smiled as he took August's money, returning to him quite a bit of change. "Have a good night, sir." He nodded to Adria. "And good evening to you, miss." His eyes ran between both August and Adria, before taking August's glass.

Payment finished, August slid two dollar bills onto the bar before tucking his wallet away. Her remark aside, she seemed to be a keen person; and a witty one, to boot. There was much to learn of Adria, hopefully he would have the chance to learn more while they fed. He stood from his stool, nodding to Adria. There was still the matter of finding a good place to feed. "Let's head out. All ready?"

The young vampire followed the man of Lex Legis, making a note that he did not take her remarks too well. Pity, though not unexpected. The Lex Legis didn’t have a reputation for humor. She’d not make that mistake with his superiors, lest the stereotypes held true. God forbid she hurt someone’s ego. There would be hell to pay.

She tilted her head in farewell to the bartender, but didn’t bother with words to him. “Yes, I am ready.” Considering she had thought this was to be an actual drink, she was more than ready. She wasn’t sure if she was merely hungry, or famished. One of these days she’d learn without the Beast alerting her. She’d have to, considering she never intended to rely on her primal nature. It had betrayed her far too many times for her to ever trust it.

In time, she’d get used to gauging her hunger on her own.

Adria let August lead the way out of the hotel through the lobby, and would follow him into the territory. She kept silent, though her gaze showed she was actively taking in the scenery and memorizing the path and area. She would need to know which area it was acceptable to feed in, after all, and she intended to be able to get there again, when she did not have a guide. Even so, she asked the question, “Are you from this area?” to him, though her gaze did not fall on him. She seemed to be keeping watch of his movements through peripheral vision.

The streets were, of course, still noisy and bright around this time of the evening. August walked briskly, lost in thought, anticipating whom they might take for tonight's meal. Adria's question had caught him off-guard, causing him to cease walking for a brief moment, before fully comprehending her words. "Oh - yes," he began, his smile returning to his face. "I used to live in Edgewater, in the suburbs quite some time ago before, well, everything."

---

"Such a small place, for how much you have," Serah had remarked, when she first visited his apartment.

“'My greatest skill in life has been to want but little,' Thoreau wrote,” August had snapped back, a wide grin on his face. It was different back then.

"I can give you much more than that."

---

August remembered those times fondly when time allowed it. But now wasn't it, he could think on them later. He returned his attention to the present moment, to Adria, and where they were going. By now they were halfway between the lake which was visible in the distance, and August's apartment, if there was need to return in case of emergency. The breeze coming from the body of water blew across his face. "This district is actually where I live now, 'Near North Side,' one of the wealthiest in the city. Normally, the 'Southside' district, though farther than where we are standing, is more common for feedings, as more murders do occur there than here," he explained to Adria. Most vampires are free to feed wherever, so long as they are not our enemies." There was no exact way to track all the kindred who fed in the area; unfortunately that was something the Lex Legis had no ability over.

There was a large park nearby, as well as a few side streets and grungy alleys. Either way, both were convenient spots to abduct victims. Normally for August, a swift pull and a practiced blow to the head was all that was needed before drinking. He wondered about Adria's capabilities. It would be amusing if she turned out to be of the Lacertus.

"Anyways, would you prefer to strike from the park, or perhaps from an alley?" August asked, tilting his head curiously.

‘Young.’ Adria wasn’t sure why her mind decided that based on his answer, until she considered her sire. He had roamed the world. It was necessary, when empires fell, when new places were discovered. America wasn’t even heard of, in his time. It wouldn’t be for many centuries.

August introduced the area before she could ask any more, and she took in that information. A frown became noticeable when he associated murders with feeding. ‘Are they that sloppy?’ It was unnecessary to murder, but more than that, the fact it was common was…unusual to her. In her domain, those who murdered while feeding were often dealt with harshly. Her sire had to be careful with her as a youth, considering her crimes would fall on his head.

“The Lex Legis are generous here,” was what she said instead, making a note of the weakness in their patrol system. "I think I've been misled about your covenant." She sounded pleased with this, "I've rarely heard anything good, but that's what you get in a domain not under their leadership."

They came to an area with a park, and he asked her preference. “The park is easiest for me, though I may go to an alley. I suspect we’ll be getting our meals separately and joining afterward?” Strike? No wonder Chicago had such a violent reputation. All the better for her, the vampires here would have more trouble keeping themselves hidden then dealing with a new research in town.

“There is more trouble here for us than you are willing to believe.”

The voice went ignored. Adria would never respond to it in public.

"We try. A good domain is not without its kindred. The Lex Legis may lead this city, but what is leadership without its subjects?" August said, with an indifferent shrug. Adria's compliment on the Lex Legis' generosity pleased him very much so, but he pretended as though such generosity was already commonplace and natural. In truth, the Lex Legis could be very strict and selfish - more in small towns than cities, as he had heard.

But more often than not, such harshness was reserved for their own members. Punishments and demotions in rank were not easy to recover from. Luckily, August had not been on the receiving end of either. Despite the often harsh words of his Commissioner, he seemed to be in good standing, though much more work was to be done.

"Whichever way you prefer is fine with me," August replied to Adria's inquiry as to whether or not they were obtaining meals separately. "Be forewarned, however, if you go in too deep and trouble comes up, you won't know where to find me. You've a phone, no?" he asked, his lips tugging downwards into a slight frown. He was a bit disappointed he wouldn't be able to study her capabilties, and to a degree, not show off his, but just because one was kindred didn't mean they did not have personality and secrets of their own. Eventually, however he knew Metis would question Adria more thoroughly - ah, he still had to find out when Adria would be available next, but that could wait for after.

Adria couldn’t help but appreciate his words about the domain, and hoped his view was true of all the Lex Legis here. If they were already being this generous, then perhaps it would be. A domain that considered its subjects in its dealings, and not just the benefits of the rulers, would be an unexpected nicety. She’d just have to see how the others of the Lex Legis were in person.

Of course, she saw his frown as he asked after her phone, “Most men wouldn’t frown like that when asking a woman’s number,” she almost bit her tongue on the quip, speaking before recalling her earlier note on this subject.

She shifted to the next topic rather than apologize, though. “I need not be out of your sight if you’re concerned, but my methods aren’t quite so violent as yours sounded. Though, if trouble with them in feeding is so common, perhaps I ought to learn,” she shrugged, wondering then about the population of hunters. It would make sense in a city such as this. They wouldn’t help lower the murder rate, that was for sure. “Either way, I do have a phone,” it would probably be advantageous to exchange numbers anyway.

She took it out of the purse she had kept with her, a blue smartphone, and quickly opened up the contact list. There were no other numbers in it, yet. It was too new for that. “What is your number, Enforcer?” She inquired, looking up from the phone to him, “I can take it down and then just text you so that you will have my number.”

"Under a different set of circumstances, I'd be more than glad to ask your number." August gave a boyish smirk, before producing his phone from his pocket. Perhaps he overreacted to Adria's remark at the bar. She did seem vaguely amusing, despite his hurt pride. He dictated his number to the Thanatologist. Now would be an alright time to schedule with Metis, August thought, considering their phones were already out.

"Though I will ask if you'd be willing to go on a date, whenever you're available next, Adria." August studied her expression, his smirk remaining. "Not with me, however, but with my Commissioner Metis. Send me a text with your availability."

August couldn't help but chuckle, shaking his head. "I'm also afraid you do have much to learn about Chicago, though. It is mostly humans killing other humans around here. You wouldn't believe how gory some of them get. Murders caused by kindred do happen, however." He paused for a moment, before continuing. "The Southside is so popular to feed from due to the violence between humans there - one can be a bit less cautious in their methods; and if murder while eating happens, it just happens."

The number was committed to memory as it was committed to the phone. The wonderful thing about the Studies of the Mind was all in what that training had produced. Her memory was impeccable, but for show, she would add the numbers. It was often best to be underestimated. “Got it,” she said once it was entered, and then listened to his words.

Aria feigned disappointment when he suggested the date wouldn’t be with him, but with another. The smirk had given his game away before he ever spoke. So, he could play, too. Good. “Metis,” she repeated that name, though knew she would be expected to use Commissioner. “Honestly, Enforcer,” though her fingers were already typing her availability, “At this moment, I have all the time in the world. Perhaps in a week I’ll resume my studies, but I’ve left time open to learn about Chicago first, or for further travels if I decide this domain won’t work for me.” The text was sent though, saying as much.

For the next week, I have open availabilities. Oh, this is Adria.

Text speak was beneath her.

“I’ll try to look forward to the blind date.”

The murder issue was addressed, and Adria didn’t hide her relief at hearing it was mostly humans killing other humans. There might still be a hunter issue, but at least the kindred weren’t responsible for most of the accidents. “Forgive my presumptions. My home was much smaller. Murder was a rather big deal there,” she explained, then stepped back from him a pace, put her phone away in her purse. “If it is all right, then, I’ll get a meal?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back