• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom An Elf and a Qunari

emchovy

One Time Luck
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
A scene between Dahni Lavellan, the elven Inquisitor, and Nazirah Adaar, the qunari inquisitor, as they try to figure things out.
This is an RP between User Chocohime and User Emchovy !

Last edited:
The Exalted Plains were horrible.

This was a firm opinion that Dahni Lavellan, Dalish mage of Clan Lavellan held. It was also a secret opinion, because letting anyone know you disliked things usually ruffled feathers.

The Exalted Plains were terrible, a wasteland of nothing.

The Free Marches were not necessarily known for their great natural beauty, but even then, this was sad.

The fact that there was a Dalish tribe in the area only made it all the worse.

He looked at who he’d brought with him. Varric was fidgeting with Bianca, and Cassandra was surveying the landscape, a touch of concern around the edges of her mouth.

Sera merely looked bored. When she caught him looking, she stuck out her tongue.

Dahni forced a smile, and then spoke up. “Come on, this way.” He waved an arm, and turned to start off. He heard the footsteps behind him, and sighed. His shoulders relaxed, even under the weight of the staff he had slung across his back.

Not everyone in Clan Lavellan got along. Some days, not even most. It had often been his job to sort out the smaller disagreements. Did Ponrill in fact break Tonsan’s hunting bow, or had Tonsan tripped over it himself and forgotten? Did Olanamari mean the comment about the way that Lenlyn hunted the way Lenlyn had taken it? Things like that.

Sometimes, running around the countryside with these people brought him back to that. To being the mediator. It wasn’t pleasant.

Thankfully, though Cassandra was easily riled by Varric, she didn’t usually want to show it, and Sera and Varric got along well. Sera and him, on the other hand, was a more difficult issue, but one Dahni hoped was solvable.

That was partially why he’d asked her along. Hopefully, meeting a Dalish tribe would help her gain a bit of respect for them.

...It wasn’t, perhaps, likely to work, but it was worth a shot anyway.

He hitched the staff up on his back again, and as they turned the corner, there was the rift.

Dahni flung lighting at the monsters, and shouted thanks to Cassandra as she bashed one down with her shield.

Varric pinned people in place with crossbow bolts, and Sera peppered them with her arrows. Dahni pulled down more lighting, and then, quickly turning around himself to check, flung up his hand.

The use of the Anchor always felt strange, like the holes in the sky were being stitched together using some part of him. He felt something approaching from the back and turned, but they were swiftly felled by one of Varric’s bolts.

“Thanks, Varric!”

“My pleasure, Freckles.”

That was the last thing he heard.

--

There was a deep pain radiating through him. It felt as though it came from his bones.

Dahni opened his eyes. He stared upwards, at the ugly sky of the Plains , aware, in his peripheral, he could see Cassandra crouching over someone.

“Inquisitor?”

He mustered strength. “Yes?”

Her head whipped over to him, and she made as though she wanted to move in his direction, but didn’t. “I- Inquisitor. I-”

The figure she’s crouched over raises itself upward. Cassandra stumbled back. “Inquisitor!”

She seemed unable to say anything else. Dahni found his tongue. “Cassandra, what’s wrong?”

She turned to him. “Inquisitor, I-”

Dahni hitched himself upwards slightly, and looked over at who'd she'd been bent over.

Nazirah's ears were ringing. She was pretty sure the sharp pains in her skull weren't from one of the Iron Bull's favorite brews, since she'd been in the Exalted Plains searching for a Dalish tribe that had been rumored to frequent the area. She tried to remember what could have happened and began to mentally review the series of events that occurred before this excruciating headache.

She was encouraged by her advisors to make personal contact with the Dalish in the Exalted Plains in order to establish a relationship between them and the Inquisition. She had brought along Sera, an elf who she had hoped would improve their standing with the Dalish (and she was starting to regret that decision), Varric, one of her most trusted allies, and Cassandra, a formidable warrior in case things went south. They had been ambushed by the sudden opening of a rift and --

Finally, a familiar Navarran accent cut through the ringing. Nazirah's eyes fluttered open to see Cassandra kneeling beside her and speaking to someone else. Nazirah cautiously started to lift herself up and saw a small, red-headed elf knuckling his staff. She glanced down at her hand and saw that it was glowing brighter than it ever had been before. The sickly green glow seemed to pulsate through her body with a series of painful shocks, and she clutched her hand to her chest and before looking back towards the other two. Her eyes examined the stranger and noticed the very same illumination bursting through the elf's palm.

Dahni's first thought, when he sees the figure Cassandra is bent over is a qunari is "Iron Bull?" It only lasts a second, though. This qunari is smaller (if still far, far larger than him) and she's a woman, or at least looks like one.

He clutches his staff close, and scrambles upwards, slightly. The Anchor hurts, and he rubs it against his thigh. Looking at Cassandra, there's naked panic on her face, as her eyes dart between Dahni and the Qunari woman, now clutching her hand to her chest.

From the cradle of her hand to her chest, there's a sickly green glow that's pulsing in time with the pain from Dahni's anchor.

He freezes, for a second, and then leaning heavily on his staff, wrenches himself to his feet.

Cassandra speaks at this, eyes widening as she makes an abortive move forward. "Inquisitor -"

Dahni, for about the fourth time in his life, interrupts someone. "W-What's going on?" His voice cracks at the end, and he can feel tears (of fear/anger/pain, he's not quite sure) threatening.

Nazirah flexed her hand as if to relieve a cramp. It didn't help much, but it took her mind off of the slowly fading pain. She took this moment to stand up using her great axe as a crutch. She left the head of the axe turned towards the ground. Thinking back on it these days, she wasn't really sure if it was to show the stranger her peaceful intentions, or if she legitimately needed it for ambulatory support. She looked at the rift, or rather, lack thereof behind her. She glanced back up to the sky to see that the sky appeared much more threatening than her current company, swirling with storm clouds as dark as emeralds.

Nazirah looked down at the elf, who was visibly on the verge of tears.

"Who are you?" She asked curtly. She mentally scolds herself as she thinks she should have managed her tone better, but it was hard to think with everything going on.

The Qunari got to her feet, leaning on the handle of her ax. She's got it on the ground, and Dahni thinks of public executions, things city elves and humans do. Only for a second though, because then the Qunari is shifting forward and speaking.

"Who are you?"

She sounded angry, and Dahni cowered, a single tear escaping to roll down his cheek, but then he tries to rally. She spoke Trade and not Qunlat. She's got a Marcher accent, but he's not familiar enough with the nation states to know where from.

He made an effort to straighen, just slightly, and spit out an introduction he's practiced enough times it's memorized. "I, er, am, Dahni of Clan Lavellan, former First to Keeper Deshanna Istimaethoriel of Clan Lavellan, currently Inquisitor." His voice doesn't crack, and he's proud of that for a split second, before he looks up-up-up again to the stormy face of the lady Qunari.

"...Holder of The Anchor."

He's not brave enough to have asked her who she is, but desperately, he hoped she'd tell him anyway, as their hands pulse in perfect unison.

She studied Dahni for a few moments. He looked young, too young, to be out here exploring the Exalted Plains alone.

"Nazirah Adaar," she hesitated, "leader of the Inquisition". Even now she hadn't gotten used to the title. She didn't know if she believed in Andraste, so titling herself "The Herald of Andraste" felt gauche. The former mercenary hadn't had much reason believe to in the past, but after the events at the conclave she started to wonder.

She liked the way the Levallen phrased his, or rather, their unique ability. The thought that there could be more people like them in Thedas lurked in the back of her mind. Shooting away the thought she focused back on the matter at hand. The vashoth wasn't sure if it was because shared confusion of them both holding an anchor, or his seemingly kind nature, but a feeling of warmth bloomed in her chest. She felt like she could come to trust the man in front of her. Nazirah blinked and looked at the tearful elf pensively.

"Well, this is certainly a lot to take in". Varric stated. Sera alternated between the two familiar faces.

"Shite, there's two of you!" Sera blurted.

"Y-You're...leader of the Inquisition?
Dahni blinked hard, as though it would clear things up.

"But...I'm..."

Varric's voice was distant, but for some reason, Sera's came through loud and clear. Dahni's head snapped up, and he stared at her.

"What do you mean?"
Sera was holding a hand to her head, and there was a couple of droplets of sweat on her forehead. Her face looked pained, and Dahni's hands twisted on his staff, ready to heal her.

Danny_confused.png

"Inquisitor-" Both Dahni and the Qunari woman looked over, and Cassandra grimanced, shaking her head. She had a stiff expression that spoke of holding back pain as well. "Dahni, I mean. This won't be something you can heal. We should go. Back to Skyhold."

Varric spoke up again. "I agree with the Seeker on this one, Freckles." Dahni looked at him, Varric's face paler and laced with the same pain. In an attempt to lighten the mood, Varric winked. "You know how rare that is."

Dahni couldn't muster a smile. He dropped a hand off his staff, and fisted it in his robe.

"I just don't understand what's happening." It was unhelpful, and on the edge of a broken sob, but Dahni was incapable of anything else. Cassandra laid one armoured hand on his shoulder. "We'll figure it out, Inquisitor."

At this, Dahni felt the finest bit lighter. "Maybe you should call me Dahni right now. After all," And here he turned to the qunari (Nazirah, that was important to remember now). "After all, it seems like she might be... Inquisitor...too."

Nazirah gave a solemn nod towards the Seeker. Whatever was happening, it couldn't be solved here or now. She swung her axe over her shoulder and securely attached it to the holster on her back. She, her trusted party, and... Dahni, began the long, silent journey back to Skyhold.
------------------------------------------------
Skyhold... Was a mess to say the least. Cole was busy tending to lost-looking volunteers, but the further in they walked the more dire the situation became. At first, the people on the outskirts seemed mildly confused as they walked by, but as they entered the heart of Skyhold, the people appeared almost distressed at the sight of Dahni and Nazirah.

Sera peeled off from the group to go to the tavern and Nazirah paused and stared at the building longingly. She could really use a drink right now. They ascended the steps and Josephine, who would typically greet the party with a smile, greeted them with a surprised gasp.

"Inquisitor- ack, inquisitors, I must speak with the both of you. I've discovered some accounts that could explain the situation." Her refind look was coming undone. Her hair today was in a wispy bun instead of her usually perfect styled updo.

"Where are Commander Cullen and Spymaster Leliana?" Nazirah noticed Dahni perk up at this question.

"Leliana has been preparing messages to her scouts, and our Commander has been locked in his office since the, ahem, incident" Josephine promptly reported. Dahni appeared somewhat disgruntled... Or concerned. She couldn't quite tell, but she made a mental note to speak to him later.

"Very well. We should give them some time then." Nazirah looked down at the elf. "I could use some too. We will reconvene at sunset."

"Inquisitor, I would really recommend that-" before she could finish her sentence, Nazirah had turned and walked out the door back to the main yard.

Dahni stayed, staring right at Josephine. There was a long awkward moment, as she looked after Nazirah longingly, and then seemingly realized Dahni was still standing in front of her.

"Oh! Inquisitor, you're..." Josephine trailed off, and Dahni tilted his head to the side.

"You can call me Dahni right now, Josephine. We decided on that." He smiled, trying self-consciously to not appear as tired as he felt.

It had been a long, awkward trip, with almost no talking. They'd managed to avoid most fighting, by the grace of...Andraste and the Evanuris, but the plodding had been painful. Dahni was the only member of their group who rode a hart (his name was Captain), which had far worse stamina then the rest of the mounts, so they'd had to stop most frequently for him. It had somehow felt shameful, even though there was no reason it should. Nazirah had barely looked at him.

"Right, Inq- Dahni. That makes sense."

They simply looked at each other for a second.

"Would you like me to listen to the theories?"

Josephine started again. "Oh! Well, theories is a bit of an overstatement. Solas mentioned some accounts he remembers of this happening with the Fade before, and Vivienne has sent away to the Circle's library to request a book she thinks might be of use."

Dahni nodded, reaching up and pulling his ponytail out. Immediately, the tight headache he'd been developing loosened. "But nothing concrete?"

Josephine shook her head. "Nothing concrete." She regarded him. "Do you- Do the Dalish-"

Dahni giggled, with a strong edge of hysteria. "No. The Dalish definitely don't have any stories about this sort of thing happening!" He looked up at his advisor, and was struck with a sudden desire to ask to braid her hair. But the moment passed a second later, and he composed himself again. "I can help...well, I'm not amazing at reading, and I can't really send away for books, but I can do whatever you need me to!"

Josephine looked down at him thoughtfully, with a distant look on her face. "First, you should go refresh yourself, Dahni. No matter what we call you right now, you and Inquisitor Nazirah are still both Inquisitor, and if everyone in Thedas remembers the two of you as clearly as I do, you should be ready."

It was a somber thought, and it had a chilling affect. "Right. Yes. Okay, thank you Josephine."

He turned, and started towards his quarters. Josephine called after him. "After that, why don't you check in on our Commander?" There was no innuendo in her voice, no hidden wink, but Dahni felt himself blush nearly to the tips of his ears.

He yelled back. "I will!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back