• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern amnesia ✦ roleplay thread

Ali

sweet creature

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

private roleplay
Ali Ali x Wolfypuffs Wolfypuffs

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Rain drizzled down the windshield of the car, quickly wiped away every so often with the blades of the wipers. In the few seconds the drops had on the glass, lights from the outside city reflected off them; bouncing around inside the vehicle. The evening sky was already dark shades of navy and violet, the stars popping out despite the city's glow. Air was slightly stagnant, although it was warm enough to be comfortable at that time of year. Sebastian tried to keep his eyes on the road, his thoughts much less concentrated on driving than he would have liked. Giving in to temptation, he barely moved his eyes, taking a glance at Emery to his right.

It didn't take long for Sebastian to focus back in on the road, slowly braking as a yellow light ahead flickered its warning from ahead. He gave a sigh, slightly annoyed as it took its time to turn red. The intersection was notorious for having the slowest lights, and it seemed like he had a bad stroke of luck. Although it was an inconvenience, there was no rush. It was just a slow night out around town, and he intended on taking his time. Time off work was becoming more and more of a rarity, and there was no better way to spend it than with Emery. She made him feel more like himself than his work ever did, and it was nice to be able to drop his act once in a while.

Sebastian tapped his thumb on the leather of the wheel a few times in deep thought, watching as raindrops splattered and raced down the glass. Slowly, he brought a hand up to his head, pushing the brown hair over his eyes back. As soon as his hand left his head to adjust the tie around his neck, it flopped back down in a disheveled manner. Knowing very well that his fidgeting wouldn't hurry up the timer, Sebastian settled back down with another sigh. A car a few feet away honked with frustration as he fully turned his head, the red light above them illuminating one side of his face. Flickering from Emery's face to her hand, he reached over to wrap his fingers around hers.

"Damn light," he muttered, casting his glance back up to it before resting his eyes back on her face, "Might have run it if you weren't watching." Obviously joking, he couldn't help but show a small smirk, shaking his head a moment later. He couldn't continue thinking playfully, his expression going serious as he stared into her eyes once again. "I love you. I know I don't say it enough," Sebastian admitted, watching his thumb move across the skin on her hand in thought, "But, I do."

Giving the light a few more seconds, visibly anticipating something, Sebastian piped up once again. "Have you ever thought about marriage?" he asked, unshaken and slightly drowned out by the rain tapping against the metal and glass around them. It was an unconventional time for a talk, but it had been biting into his mind for weeks. It felt like he couldn't truly hold it in much longer, especially with the increase of suspicions being thrown around the facility. If there was going to be an accident, he didn't want to leave Emery alone with nothing. It was a particularly dark thought, but one he wasn't going to ignore for comfort. Putting logic aside, he loved her. It was just a nice thought to pretend it wasn't for the weakness of his own heart.

Emery's soft hair was covered with the shadows of rain droplets and city lights alike, the fawn color mingling with many others as the car continued down the road monotonously. She enjoyed, however quiet, the car rides with Sebastian. Being able to rest her head on the car seat and look out the dull windows into a sometimes, like tonight, as dull landscape, was soothing for her in a way. Smiling faintly, she could tell through the reflection of the window that he was glancing at her, and she returned the motion, her blue eyes examining his face before turning back around.

She let out a yawn as the car slowly slowed to a stop, her body turning to face the dashboard of the car with a quick adjustment of her seatbelt. Lifting her head, she looked to the lanes around them, mostly empty of cars in the quiet night. Like Sebastian, she didn't mind the pause, almost welcomed it in the relaxation of the quiet moment. She jumped quickly as a horn echoed from behind their car, her eyes bright as she followed her companion's motions by turning back and watching the car.

Her body seemed to relax, melting back into the seat as Sebastian took her hand, and she gave it a gentle squeeze. She chuckled at his witty comment, shrugging. "Kill us both, why don't you? If we died, we wouldn't have to pay the bills, though, so your call." Emery replied with a smirk of her own, leaning her elbow against the center console. She worried she had said something wrong as his expression melted into something of a frown, but she was remeasured by his next comment.

Her cheeks reddened, and not from the reflection of the traffic light. "I love you too," she replied warmly. "And don't beat yourself up. You show you love me, and that's all I ask." She used her free hand to sweep her hair behind her shoulders, though due to its length, it barely stayed. Impossibly, her cheeks grew warmer at his next question, her blue eyes glinting with emotion. She smiled in the relative shadow of the car, her pearl-colored teeth bright behind ruby lips.

"I suppose I do, yes," she began with a chuckle. "I don't need a fancy ring and a white dress to know that, though. But if it's what you want, I'm all for it." Em let the car drift into silence, the soothing rhythm of raindrops falling going faster than her beating heart. "I'm all for it." She wasn't taken aback by his sudden question. She was honestly thinking about the topic often recently, and it was a welcomed one for her.

Blowing some air from his mouth, Sebastian rolled his eyes in Emery's direction in response to her playful response. He considered himself to be a responsible driver despite his dark humor, and there was no way he would allow something so terrible to her in his presence. Although it was just human nature to assume one could control the uncontrollable, Sebastian did always worry for her safety. Not just because of the normal dangers of society, but the risks that seemed to follow him wherever he went. "Without the bills, might be able to cover the funeral costs," he muttered, knowing she heard despite the low tone.

"I make a shitty boyfriend; are you sure you need a shitty husband? Not much of an upgrade," Sebastian teased, unable to hide the slightly anxious look that spread across his face. Of course, he tried to be good to her. Emery was the one person he tried to improve himself for. Marrying him meant marrying the wickedness of his employers. She would be doomed to caution for the rest of her days, and Sebastian wasn't sure he was worth all that. "I just want to protect you," he stared back out the splattered window, wondering now how many minutes had passed since they stopped. Although it couldn't have been long, it felt as if the two of them were stuck in a timeless void.

Taking his other hand off the wheel, Sebastian pushed his hair back again, sighing once again in contemplation. "If anyone wanted to hurt me, they'd come for you. You understand that, right?" he asked, dropping Emery's hand and moving it to her cheek. Slight worry bounced around in his eyes for a short amount of time, soon pushed away as he focused on her next set of words. Every part of him hoped for the response she gave, although it was selfish. If she could push away his concerns, so would he. "If you want something extravagant, I won't argue with you. We're in a good place. I could always pull a few strings," Sebastian mentioned despite his simple and private preferences. He didn't like word getting around about their relationship, but there was little he would deny her of.

She giggled quietly at his response, her blue eyes rolling as well. "Yes," she said, trying to uplift what she thought was a dark comment. Emery sighed, leaning her head back and looking out the window for a quick moment. She noticed quickly the fact that the light was still red, a fact that jumbled her mind even more than it already was. Always one to worry, the young woman blinked quickly. Had she said something wrong? She shook off the feeling and turned back to Sebastian, her eyes narrowing at his words. He had always given her what she wanted, the small amount of wishes she truly wanted. He was always kind, loving, and she was taken aback. Did he really think that?

"Shut up," she said, frowning. "You're far from a shitty boyfriend. You'd be a great husband." She didn't mean to come off as upset, but she took a deep breath as if she was trying to clear her mind. Smiling softly again, she squeezed his hand and looked back in his direction. "Maybe even a great father one day. But that's just a dream." She turned to watch his eyes carefully, ensuring she hadn't said something regrettable. But at the same time, she wanted to try and understand the depth of his words. There had to be something behind them, right? But she was broken from the spell of her own thoughts as he turned away, her ears still hearing his low mutter. "From what? The perils of. . . being an adult? I'm fine, Sebastian. We have nothing to worry about." She turned to face the back of the window again, her blue eyes reflecting brightly in the glass. Her chest rose and fell beneath her messy crimson sweatshirt, in a steady rhythm. "Unless you're in some kind of secret drug cartel or Russian mafia that I'm not aware of. Hm?" She was playful, but her eyes were serious. What if he wasn't joking?

When he dropped her hand, she quickly turned to look at him, worried she had done something wrong; but her worries were met with a soft hand against her cheek, and her eyes widened at his words. "Why would someone want to hurt you? I-I don't think anyone would." She gave a nervous chuckle, leaning her head back and away from his hand, much to her distaste. "You're not trying to scare me out of saying yes to getting married, are you?" Emery watched him carefully for a moment, her blue eyes glinting with a mix of puzzlement and interest. "But I can't say no to a little extravagance. So, I guess you're not trying to scare me. Good to know. But Sebastian, I don't care about all the.." she waved her hand quickly, gesturing. "challenges? Risks, worries, whatever you want to call them. I just want to be with you, and I always will. Don't you?"

"Hey, hey, settle down. I'm joking," Sebastian reassured, her sudden burst of defense forcing his thin lips to turn upwards on one side. He wasn't surprised by her reaction, often finding humor in teasing the brunette. He wasn't one to prod for too long, however. The joking around was just a disguise for what troubles were biting at his anxious mind. He wasn't often made so restless, but there were certain regrets he was having. Emery didn't know. She didn't understand. The more he beat around the bush, the worse it would get. "I don't know; I wouldn't be opposed to having a family. Doesn't have to be a dream if that's what we decide on. I think you'd be a good mother."

As if he had been shot in the back, Sebastian seemed to stiffen up as Emery spoke, suddenly far too intent on watching the lights above his head. She had guess perfectly, and he wasn't sure whether she was joking or not. Helplessly, he glanced back over at her, trying to mask the feat that bad consumed his expression. Despite her tone, he saw no playfulness hiding in the blue eyes he knew so well. Laughing nervously, he took his hand from her, not wanting to bother her as she pulled away from him. "Emery," he started, pausing as he tried to focus in on her words once again, hoping to hear that she truly was joking. His nervousness dissolved and built back up the more she spoke, keeping very quiet beside her.

"You play too much. Of course I want to marry you. My sorrow would be immeasurable if you rejected me," he reassured, knowing that if he turned his head to look at her, his eyes would give away his emotions. Nothing he said was a lie, but fear was plastered against every word that came from his mouth. She still believed he was just a private investigator, and it was far from the truth. He had been a coward; hiding his dirt from the one person who deserved to hear it the most. His heart felt heavy in his chest as he took a deep breath, knowing that there was no way he could marry her without coming clean.

Slowly turning towards her, ignoring the green now flashing down across his face, Sebastian scanned over Emery pitifully for a few seconds. "Of course. I... you know that. I want this more than anything. There's just… there’s something you don't know," he confessed, trying to swallow, but knowing the knot of fear in his throat wouldn't allow him. Not accelerating quickly enough, the car behind them honked angrily a few times. It was enough to make Sebastian move forward, not looking either way as he locked his eyes straight ahead.

The next few seconds, very contrasting to the seemingly slowed time at the stop, came very quickly. The world had almost sped up to make up for the lost time, and there was no spared second to react as a car slammed into the passenger door. Glass exploded around them with the rain, the world began to spin out of control, and Sebastian’s head collided with the metal frame of the car door all in a few moments. Everything after was numb and black; the noises of the city drowned out by a piercing ringing sound.

Emery listened with quiet approval at his words, nodding silently. She was relieved to hear it was all a joke, and that he wasn't serious. But her face dropped as he let go of her hand and said her name, as if warning her. "Never mind," she said, waving a slender hand. "I'll stop." Her expression morphed into one of puzzlement and indifference as she turned away from him, still speaking. She waited until he was finished, her blue eyes scanning the territory just beyond the window. "If you really wanted to marry me, wouldn't you do it without hesitation?" she posed, sighing quietly. "I'm not going to rush you."

She sat in silence for a moment, laying against the headrest as he continued speaking. She knew it wasn't worth it to argue, or sour the relative peace of the car with senseless arguments from her. But she'd always been, no matter how kind, an argumentative women who was honest and spoke her mind. So when he confessed to hiding something from her, her gaze froze and zeroed in on him as she turned, her eyebrows raising. "What is it that I don't know, Sebastian?" She stared at him, tilting her head and narrowing her eyes. "What haven't you told me?" Emery watched his movements with a careful gaze as she waited for an answer, but she never got the chance to hear it.

Her body was still turned towards him as the car slammed into her door, her face dropping into an expression of horror instantly. She lifted an arm to shield her face from the glass, but it did no use, a snap of a bone heard before her head snapped downwards and collided with the console. A scream was cut off quickly, her jaw falling open as she fell. Thankfully, she was unconscious, and wouldn't be there to see the rest of the damage, the pain, or the outcome of this. But it didn't mean it didn't happen. Glass scored across her as it shot out of the window, and the car door jammed into her side and pinned her against the console, her body still slumped downwards as if she was sleeping. If this was slumber, it was a drearily horrific one. Her hair covered most of her face, and her sweatshirt was torn in a few different places from the glass and metal that jutted out.

The world came back to Sebastian in bits and pieces. The first thing he could feel was a warmth running down his face from his forehead and eyebrow. Weakly moving an arm to touch the spot, a sharp pain stabbed into his chest, forcing a cry of surprise from him. Clasping his rib with his hands, Sebastian had to blink blood from his eye, still feeling it run down his face in a consistent flow. Gasping for air, it took all his power to focus his mind again, the world beginning to flicker on and off once again.

"Emery?" Sebastian choked out, moving one of his hand cautiously to feel for her body. To his horror, his hand grazed the top of her head, both eyes shooting open instantaneously at the sensation. He could barely move without the piercing pain in his side digging into him, but fear overpowered that for just enough time to allow him to undo his seat belt and shift towards her. "Hey, Em? You gotta get up," he forced out, the effort erupting coughs from his body. As Sebastian moved a hand up to his mouth, he caught a glimpse of blood splattering onto it. It was stupid to move too much, despite his concern. There was no way to tell how badly either of them were hurt, and he feared that the movements he had made only worsened his condition.

He wanted to reach over to her again, the overwhelming fear hitting him stronger than before, but Sebastian had no more fire to push himself to that limit again. Taking a few more gasps of air, the world went black again. Bits and pieces of the outside world came to his view as time progressed, rain soaking his face and clothes as he was pulled from the car. His body stiffened in pain only momentarily, falling back to a limp state as he was laid out on the ground. Sounds of sirens and people screaming engulfed his mind before the entire world blanked out.

Sebastian's nose twitched in a bothered manner as he laid on the hospital bed, chills wrapping around him at an increasingly uncomfortable speed. The smell of cleaning agents bothered him to the point of opening his eyes, a dull ache across his skull as he did so. "Emery?" he groaned, trying to push himself up with his hands. Almost instantly, a hand pushed him back down, the skin touching his bare chest pushing a hiss of discomfort from him.

"Bastian, stop moving," a stern voice from above called out, one that was familiar enough to pause the man's sudden will to fight back.

"Kael?" he called, scanning the blond's face through the blinding lights. A pile of folded, clean clothes was thrown on his chest as he spoke, another gasp of surprise erupting from him.

"Take it easy. You got lucky; just minor scratches and a broken rib. You'll be fine," Caelan muttered, stepping to the side as a woman in a bright blue uniform stepped into the room.

"Mr. Lyall, how are you feeling?" she asked, met with two anxious eyes. Obviously, he was not doing well, anxiety finally grabbing him as he thought of Emery. Surely she was okay. She had to be okay. The last he remembered was her head slummed over, and that was it.

"Let me get dressed," Sebastian pointed to the door, noticing an ice pack laying on one side of his chest. Not too concerned with the pain, he set it back on the nightstand next to him and rose to his feet as the two left the room. In a drowsy panic, Sebastian pulled on his clothes, buttoning his shirt up in a crooked manner. Sore and stiff from the impact, he had to limp slightly to catch his balance, forcing down a painful expression with each step. "Where is she?" he asked, feeling a firm hand grab him by his shoulder.

"She's in the room over," the nurse pointed, stepping out of the way as Sebastian pushed Caelan's hand off his shoulder and slowly stepped forward. As if he was in another time warp, this time in slow motion, his eyes locked onto Emery immediately. She was in obviously much worse condition than he had been, something eerie settling in about the situation. There was no telling what was wrong with her. She could be in a coma or brain damaged, and it would be all his fault. Not able to reach her quickly enough, Sebastian collapsed into the chair next to her. Scrambling, he gently pulled her free hand up to his face, locking fingers with her in hopes of feeling a beat. It was there, but he wasn't sure if it was the same her inside. "What's wrong with her?"

Among all of the things Emery was right now, confusion was one of them. Her eyes felt like they were sewn shut as she tried to open them, but her body said no. She shivered, the feeling of thin cotton and woolen blankets against her skin prominent. Then she coughed, her throat aching and dry and sore. But she didn’t have the strength to open her eyes until something grabbed at her hand, and they flew open. A groan of a pain escaped her, but was quickly cut off. The bright blue hue of her eyes disappeared quickly, the bright lights of the hospital room too much for them. She quickly pulled her hand free of whatever was restraining it, her blue eyes opened again, however they were squinting.

She held her hand close to her chest, the wrist cast tied around it rough against her skin. Her gaze scanned the room like a cornered dog, her face holding a multitude of bandages, scratches, and burns. She flickered between Sebastian and Caelan with confusion, her knees held tight to her chest despite their soreness. She was in pain, but she’d rather not be too exposed to these two strangers. “C-Can I help you?” she asked shakily, her shoulders quivering with cold. Her blue eyes held the look of an animal, confused and desperate to know more. She felt awkward, alone in the bed in front of these other men, but the thing that concerned her most was her knowledge on how she had gotten here.

She coughed again, the motion of her head sending her tangled hair down her shoulders. Emery swallowed nervously, but her eyes still held the same look. She looked away from them for a moment, her gaze trailing across the neat hospital room. A steady beeping came from a monitor beside her, and the smell of antiseptic filled her nose. “Unless,” she began quietly. “You guys know why I’m.. here?” She hopes that they did, because the young woman had absolutely no idea. She looked back down to her chest, tucking a blanket around her and taking a few deep breaths.

As Emery tore her hand away, Sebastian released it, his heart jumping out of his chest with fear and relief. She was awake, which meant that the worst case was no longer a possibility. He soon reached back over to her arm, laying a hand on her shoulder and pushing some of her hair behind her ear. "Shh, shh. Don't move, Em. You're going to hurt yourself," Sebastian tried to console her, watching her expression twist and distort with confusion. His first suspicion was that Caelan was making her nervous. Instantly, he turned his head to meet eyes with his companion.

"Kael, step out," he ordered, watching his friend's expression evolve into a stiff and cold one. Naturally, it was unacceptable for an investigator to boss around the leader of a small mafia. Despite the offense, the blond turned and stalked quietly into the halls. Sebastian was still shaken to his core, and he was in too much pain to ignore Emery's needs. The pain medication given to him barely numbed the cracked rib, making every movement nearly impossible.

Sebastian opened his mouth to speak, not able to get a word out as Emery cut him off. His mouth went dry as she spoke, his brain taking a short while to process what was asked. "Huh?" he asked, a nervous look crossing his face. Examining her face carefully, Sebastian was able to recognize a few of the emotions swimming in the depths of her eyes. "Emery?" he asked, reaching out to tentatively touch her hand.

"We were in an accident. Don't you remember?" Sebastian asked, panic striking him again. Despite his heart beating against his rib cage aggressively, he managed to keep everything together. Most likely, she was still in shock. It would only take a little while for her to get back to normal. "You know me, right?"

Emery retracted her shoulder with a quick shuffle across the bed, her blue eyes widened. Who was this guy? She narrowed her eyes with confusion, leaning her head back like a snake recoiling before a strike. "I-I, what?" she stuttered, her blue eyes holding a glimmer of a mix of fear, confusion, and puzzlement. She watched with observant eyes as he turned to order his friend out of the room, her eyelashes tangling as she blinked quickly. "Please don't touch me," she pleaded, tucking her body underneath the blanket and scooting to the other side of the bed.

Her wrist screamed in protest as she tried to wrap it around her knees, the IV tubes in her hand and thigh obviously not enough to keep the pain at bay. Her once-pretty face was pocked with different injuries and scratches, and it didn't look too pleasing. Emery's lips were cracked, on the verge of bleeding as she quickly turned away from him to grab the cup of water that resided on her nightstand- and she drank it like a man stuck in the desert for weeks. She swallowed loudly, some of the soreness in her throat relieved; but the impact of smoke inhalation and screaming still left pain in her throat after all the while. The deep sleep she'd been put under left dark bags under her eyes. She didn't look the same.

Her eyes widened once more, and her heart began to race faster. The monitor beside her beeped louder and faster: anything more would likely catch the attention of a nurse. She shook her head at his question, looking down at her knees. "An accident? What kind?" she asked, her voice almost inaudible. She listened closely at his last words, shaking her head. "N-No. I'm sorry." Her face melted into a look of sorrow and regret, as if she deeply wished she could give the man what he needed. She tried to push through her memory and pull out something- anything, but all that was left was a cloud of distortion and confusion. She let out a quiet sob, though it was barely able to be heard. "I'm sorry," she repeated again, wiping her face with the blanket.

As Emery ordered him away, Sebastian drew his hands back and left them open in his lap. Quietly, he closed his eyes, his head tilted down. It took all his power to hold back the emotions filling him to the brim. Repeatedly reassuring himself in his mind, he glanced up to scan over her again. There was nothing he could do but revert to his coldness until she was back to listening. He feared her shifting around would only damage herself more.

"Emery, lay on your back. You're safe here," he motioned, leaning back in the chair with a soft hiss of pain. Clasping the broken rib in his hand, Sebastian had to inhale deeply just to force his next few words out. "I think we need to wait for somebody to come in. I believe your memory is just... shot right now. Will you trust me?" he asked, still anxious to see her flat on her back again. She looked so frail and weak, like a completely different girl. Somewhere inside was the woman he loved, but this was a different Emery. Her strange behavior was one that struck fear into his heart, although his faith was resting with time. Surely, she would remember again.

Sebastian took a shaky breath as he watched Emery begin to break down, his free hand moving to the dark hair laying across his forehead. In no way had he meant to make her cry. Watching with no response felt entirely too wrong, and eventually something had to be said. "It was a car accident. You were going to marry me. Sebastian? Does that name sound familiar?" he asked, looking up on the brink of letting his eyes water up. Speaking quietly, he glanced over his shoulder once to check for Caelan. "You wanted a family. We were coming home from the restaurant you love to go to. I was about to tell you something," he tried to restart her memory, closing his eyes to hide most of the pain that poured from them.

"Please don't cry. Everything will be okay. This can't be permanent. Do you want me to fetch a doctor?" Sebastian asked, letting his hand drop from his rib cage. Helplessly, he peered back at her, entirely conflicted.

She let a few stray tears drop into the thin blue blanket, her face damp as she held it into the thin wool. She had absolutely no idea what in the hell was happening, but she couldn’t just cry about it, could she? She sniffed sharply, shaking her head and wiping the last of the water from her face. Emery stood frozen for a moment, still clutching her wrist against her chest. Her eyes were unfocused and wet, and the bright lights of the hospital room did nothing to help clear her mind.

The woman hesitated quickly as he called out her name, telling her to lie on her back. She stayed in her position for a moment before slowly lowering herself to the bed, turning on her side. The tubes tugged at her unwrapped hand, but she wasn’t going to give up the small amount of warmth that the blanket gave her for the discomfort. So she stayed where she was, head and hair wild against the pillow as she tried to calm her breathing and her mind simultaneously.

But she couldn’t hold back a confused noise as he continued on, explaining what she had missed, and forgotten. “M-Married?” she whispered, so quiet it seemed it was only to herself. “A f-family? You loved me?” Words and guttural questions poured out of her lips, as if the mere thought of some of these things was confounding her. “A doctor w-would he’ll I guess.” The monitor beside her beeped rapidly as she tried to calm herself down. “But I-I don’t remember,” she cried abruptly. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I really am.” She buried her face in the tangle of the blanket, her hair the only thing visible.

As he seemed to bring on more hysterics, Sebastian wanted nothing more than to reach out and comfort her. After so long being able to grab her up at any moment and hold her in his arms, the habit was just begging him to cave. She was so uncomfortable, however. He couldn't help but watch without a clue what to do, still nervously watching as she struggled with her memory. "I still do. I wish I had said it more often," Sebastian whispered, mostly to himself as he closed his eyes. He didn't want to be in the boring, white room anymore. He didn't want to smell the hospital, hear the machines, or watch the suffering before him. It just felt like one horrible nightmare, and he was tempted to just crawl back in his shell. The thought of shutting Emery out was preventing him, however. She needed him, even if she didn't know it.

"Hey, everything's gonna be alright. You'll start to remember. If not soon, later. I know it will," Sebastian falsely promised, rising from his seat to begin to limp towards the door quickly. As he turned the corner, he was met with a man with a wrinkled face and a worried expression. Backing up, Sebastian let the doctor pass, soon following him in without a moment's hesitation.

"Ms. Valentine," the doctor began, sitting down in the chair next to her bedside and flipping through his notes. While the two had been out, multiple tests had been run on both of them. Glancing over at the sheet from the doorway, Sebastian could see that a scan and blood test had been taken. "First of all, why are you crying? What's hurting?" the doctor asked, his expression far too positive for the situation. Not able to stand seeing it any longer, Sebastian held his forehead in one hand and decided to speak up.

"She can't remember shit. What is going on with her? When will she remember?" Sebastian ordered, coldness engulfing his glare towards the older man as he refused to drop his cheerfulness.

"Mr. Lyall, I do not have the answers right now. The blood results will be back in a day, and a scan is currently being processed," the doctor addressed Sebastian, then turning towards Emery. "So, what's bothering you, ma'am? Take it nice and slow; don't stress yourself out. I can assure you that everything will be okay."

She didn’t react to his words, almost as if she hadn’t heard them at all. The only thing she did was lay there with closed eyes and a rapidly beating heart. She curled into herself in the blanket, her wrist still throbbing beneath its cast. When the doctor arrived, she lifted her head slowly, glancing at him warily.

“I-“ she was cut off by Sebastian’s, well, outburst. She waited for a few heartbeats after the doctor had replies before opening her cracked lips. “Everything does,” she murmured quietly. She wasn’t lying, each motion seeming to cause pain somewhere or other. Her blue eyes were clouded and unfocused. “And I can’t remember anything,” she added. “This is shit. Just- stop. Please.” She frowned before turning away from both the doctor and Sebastian, closing her eyes, as if sleep would bring back her memories. She took a shaky deep breath, the stress of the doctor’s presence bringing another level to her worry and stress.

“Your tests aren’t gonna do jack for my memory,” she retorted. How could the doctor be so happy? “Can you give me my memory back? Cause if not, you’re damn well lying to me.” Her voice raised slowly as she turned to glare at the doctor, her blue eyes cold. “Stop trying to be sunshine and rainbows and tell the damn truth, since I can’t even fucking remember what the truth is.” She crosses her arms with a grunt of pain, the wrist cast slamming against her arm. Her heart beat faster with the raising of her voice, and she pushed herself back onto the bed and turned away from them.

As Emery fussed in the bed by herself, the doctor shot a worried glance in Sebastian's direction. Of course, the dark-haired man ignore the look being given to him. All they had managed to do was upset her, and he didn't believe was a way to calm her down. She was just in one of her fits, and this time he couldn't offer his support despite wanting to.

"I can not, no. But there is therapy. There is a chance. The tests can just show the severity of this... theoretical damage," the doctor tried to explain, quickly frowning at the insults were thrown his way. Even if she was just upset, it wasn't as justified as he would have liked to believe. "I believe you need a little bit of time to rest. Please take it easy; try to lay flat and don't move your arm around," he suggested, backing out of the room and locking eyes with Sebastian once again.

Stuck between helping Emery untangle and leaving her be, a single step forward was taken. She looked so pitiful, like a fish out of water, laying on the bed. Whoever was in her body was not the Emery he knew. More than likely, based on the doctor's words, she never would be. Refusing to think of the new worst case scenario, Sebastian slunk back to the chair and pulled it away from the bed, lowering himself silently into it. All he wanted to do was be next to her, seek some kind of comfort. It just wouldn't happen; not then.

"Do you want me to go?" Sebastian asked, unable to shove the concerned and hesitant tone from his voice. Somehow, he still hadn't processed that he was nothing to Emery anymore. Maybe deep down, he wanted to believe that she still felt some kind of connection towards him. Even if it was so long ago, he wanted to be the familiar face to comfort her. "I understand if you do. We can always talk later about what's going to happen next," he muttered, his tone characteristically low and unwavered in the moment. It really was true, or so it seemed. One last faithless glance into Emery's eyes told Sebastian all he needed to know.

Last edited:
She sighed as she lay in the bed, taking her head in her hands and lying still for a moment. “I’m a fucking mess,” she murmured, laying her head back against the pillow. Even she didn’t know why she was being so rude, but she couldn’t stop it. All the medications, liquids, and thoughts flowing through her body did nothing but muddle her decisions and words. And on top of that, she had no idea who she even was anymore.

Emery ignored the doctor’s words as she tried to pull the tubes free from tangling around her arm and body, and she shifted in the bed quickly. Accompanied by mumbles of pain, she eventually managed to keep her tubes straight as she laid on her back, her blue eyes blank as they stared up to the boring white ceiling.

Sebastian’s words broke the relative silence of the room, and she jerked a bit in surprise. “I-I don’t care,” she said quietly. She seemed to melt into the pillows as she closed her eyes and sighed. Her fingers reached up absentmindedly to play with a few strands of exposed hair, something she’d done since childhood. “I think I need to sleep. Just— shut the light off. If you want to stay, you can. Sorry for being such an ass.” Em took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, her blue eyes fluttering closed to try and get her to sleep.

Sebastian couldn't look at Emery as she spoke, knowing very well that he was only on the road to upsetting her more. Anything that came to his mind wouldn't help their situation, and it was appearing that she was finally calming down after her fits. "I think I'll get you some clothes at the apartment. You rest," he sighed, taking a few moments before pushing himself painfully to his feet. There had been no talk of the damage done to the vehicle, so he assumed that a taxi would be needed. He was sure Caelan could help him later with loaning another car eventually. There were a few favors that had to be paid off, and Kael was mostly true to his word.

Quietly, Sebastian flipped the light off and lingered in the doorway momentarily. Nothing in him wanted to leave Emery alone, but he knew that it wouldn’t make a difference whether he was around or not. She no longer needed him for comfort, and that wouldn’t change. Dejectedly, he walked down the hall, pausing in front of Caelan.

“Make sure nobody gets to her. Please. You know I worry,” he muttered, looking away as Kael glanced down at him.

“Don’t do that again,” Caelan warned, nodding in agreeance as Sebastian began to walk down the hall.

Caelan had taken Sebastian's place for the night, sleeping in a chair in the corner of her room throughout the night. There wasn't even a chance that Sebastian would be concerned with laying Emery's safety in his hands. The two men had been close for a very long time, although things had changed in the past year or so. Intentions had twisted just under Sebastian's nose. The sun shone in the windows of the room as Caelan opened his eyes, not moving a single muscle in his body as he quickly scanned the room. He wasn't sure how much time had passed or when his friend would be back, but it appeared that he was alone with Emery for the first time since the accident.

Moving as quietly as a cat waiting to pounce, Caelan rose to his feet and began to stalk to her side of the room, his eyes focused on everything but her. "Morning," he spoke, finally deciding to break the silence, "Feeling better?" There was a tone of curiosity in his voice, still intrigued by the idea that she would just forget the past few years with her lover. It opened up more opportunities than before, and a few ideas were beginning to bubble dangerously in the man's head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back