• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Alternate Rome Story

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
All right everyone, let me preface this by saying I am only looking for 1-3 other RPers, because I prefer small groups to large ones. That said, the cast for this story is likely to be big (but we'll see).

I'll list sort of my rules first, and then my plot idea. Those interested, please comment here, and with what major role you'd like to take up (we'll all likely be playing secondary roles). Also, be willing to accept your characters may die during the course of this thread.

Anyway, now the rules:

· Don’t God-Mod. It is usually acceptable to assume movement from one place to another, but overall, don’t dictate what other character do if they're not yours. If you have a question about this, like you want to do something for the purpose of the plot, feel free to PM me about it.

· I only RP on the threads, so I’m not going to do a PM-based RP.

· I expect at least two paragraphs. If you can’t do that consistently, then I am going to get bored with the plot and not want to respond.

· I prefer to play multiple characters as the plot progresses, and I’ll expect my RP partner to pick up various mains and sides as necessary/wanted.

· This thread will be Casual/Detailed.

~***~

Now, the gist of the plot is this: 44 BCE Rome time period, but not Rome. We'll be world-building a civilization like Rome.

The Dictator has just been assassinated. There could be many reasons for this. The Dictator gave women the power to hold a position in the senate, and to serve in the legions--he made them, more or less, equal to men. This was not received well by all.

It could be that the Dictator had held the powers of Dictator and Consul for years.

It could be something personal--goodness only knows how others truly feel about friends and lovers. What is known, however, is that the Dictator is dead and people have to move quick.

There are four main people in the position to do so:

The General, the long-time friend and ally of the Dictator. Compare to Marcus Antonius.

The Heir, the young prodigy who looked to be coming along well in the realm of politics. Compare to Gaius Octavius.

The Orator, the traditionalist to the core who disliked the changes being made. Compare to Marcus Cicero.

The Traitor, an individual once forgiven and then befriended by the Dictator. Compare to Marcus Brutus.

These four must now make their moves to save their lives, their city, and their ambitions. How they go about it, and who will succeed this time, is all a matter of how we play the game of THRONES. *cough* I mean...how we...play the game of...legions?

Anyway, I intend to play The Heir, so all the other roles need filled.

Preferably the Traitor. If not I can suffice with any of the others. I enjoy taking up many different roles and view points so it would be fine for any really.

I mean, if you want to do this 1x1, we could if you would be comfortable with that.

Otherwise, I'll note here:

Roles Taken

Traitor (Jacunliffe)

Heir (Lucyfer)

Roles Needed

General

Orator

I think that it may be more interesting if we had at least one other rper so that there is more variety.... right?

-shrug- I always prefer 1x1s, but I hadn't had any luck with this plot idea over there. Sometimes it ends up better with more people, though, yes.

How about we give this about an hour to sit, and if no one else shows interest, we'll hash things out in PMs and do it as a 1x1?

Okay. I will dissapear later on as I have an emergency Science Fair meeting with my partner planned. But other wise I am free all day for whenever you would like to plan it out :P

Excellent! Ok, consider yourself "in".

Roles Taken:

The General

The Heir

The Traitor

Roles Needed:

The Orator

Since we have three of us, and I can take the Orator if necessary/if no one else wants to claim it, let's hash out some of the ideas for our characters, relations, and motives.

My intention is to play a female heir, chosen because 1. shows the Dictator's stance clearly on the matter of equality, and 2. actually is something of a prodigy and may have been part of the reason the Dictator made those decisions. I figure there has been some negative slander here (some think she's seduced her way up).

I was thinking she had a tense relationship with the General, since they'd be "competitors" for the Dictator's favor.

With the traitor, up for debate. They could have been friends, they might not care about each other at all, it could go any way.

Thoughts on your own character and relations?

I'm thinking that the general has a wife, but had a short affair with the heir. The general, feeling guilty for being taken in by the heir's seduction, has negative feelings towards her, but due to his loyalty towards the previous king, he does not do anything that goes against the heir's judgement. His goal is to see Rome flourish and believes that the only way to do that is through war--although it is an ugly thing. Furthermore, he has great respect for the Orator although their views on war differ.

The general sees the traitor as an ally for now, but has some suspicion towards him because he had betrayed once and could do so again.

Ah, I actually don't intend to play the heir as seductive--in the past, anyway. It wasn't necessary. Her ambitions may get the best of her in going forward, though. However, perhaps there were some sparks between the Heir and General that almost amounted to a mutual affair? I could definitely see that happening, and then one or the other put the brakes on it.

Also, I was thinking the "heir" would be made known in the plot via a will, so that could be a fun matter of contention between General and Heir--both of them could think they're going to be dubbed "heir".

Also, let's think of another name for this world, since it won't be Rome. Any ideas? haha.

As for the traitor, that does bring up a question: do you intend for the Traitor to be obvious about their plot, like Brutus was? If so, then everyone will know what has happened (and they'll have a major ally in the Orator if they go that route of it being known). If not, I think the Orator would be the one under suspicion at the start of this.

Like, 5 minutes after the death of the Dictator, or right at the scene, depending on how it is done.

Name suggestions for our civilizations:

1. Lavia (So the people are Lavians)

2. Saturus (Saturians)

3. Iona (Ionians)

...Could go with other ideas, these were just off the top of my head.

Certainly Melix. I hope you know that implies playing a very talkative character xD .

What did you have in mind for the Orator's relations to the other characters, Melix?

I believe Jacun and myself discussed a bit about the traitor, and came to the conclusion that none of us should know who did it, but it was made out to be an obvious murder via drowning. Where or how, Jacun hasn't told me.

We still do not have a name for our civilization, either.

And a bit of a summary of the Dictator, copy-pasted from conversations:

"The Dictator (who will be named at some point) wasn't a king. He started out as a member of our city's senate, and then through clever politicing, and the use of force, he made his way into the position of Dictator, which he's held for approximately 6 years by the time of his death. The traitor will give the reasons for why the Dictator had to die (according to them), but if I end up as Orator there are numerous reasons: holding the position of Dictator for an inordinate amount of time--and during times of peace, for civil war in the past, for exalting women to the same status as men--the list goes on."

Yes, I understood that the Orator is to be talkative, considering his name stems from Latin root oralis, probably the same root as the word "oral" came from.

I think the Orator should be a jumpy character, one who instead of hiding in a corner uses his own emotions to manipulate speech and the emotions of those who would listen. I think he should be scared of women, at least subconsciously, lending an almost panicked element to he and the Heir's interactions. As for the General, I feel like they'd have a contrasting aloof and almost but not quite friendly atmosphere between them, perhaps the two political rivals who bounce ideas off each other in friendly argument. The Traitor and the Orator would not get along at first because regardless of who killed the dictator, they'd likely try and frame the other to remove suspicion from themselves, though eventually being in the same circumstances could help them form a superficial bond. The Dictator, I believe, would definitely have been an opponent of the Orator.

Well, the Dictator's dead so you don't need to worry about him. Just the people who were on his side, who, yeah--you're getting put under suspicion if not framed, haha.

My friend and I were having a fun conversation last night about the "what if"--if Brutus never made it known that he had committed the murder of Caesar. We pretty much came to the conclusion that Cicero would have gotten shanked during the chaos >.>

All right, Jacun, I need to know where the Dictator's body would have been found at least. I also need to know the timing.

Everyone else, I'd like some input on the name of our civilization. Then I can begin to construct the IC threads, if there are no other questions to discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back