• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Aliases?

Tallgrass

Dedicated to spinning a tale worth sharing.
Apologies if this has been asked or requested before (I tried the search, promise!), but I was wondering if there was any consideration for the ability for users to create aliases or alternate profiles representing the individual characters they play? This would help GMs feature significant NPCs and also allow players to have accounts distinct to each of their games.

It's also possible this is already feature and I've simply missed it.

Thanks!

We currently do not have support for this, as it would require a certain amount of 'back-office' maintenance and support by the Admin staff. Additionally, it could also be abused by users who want a 'secret face' to be less than civil to one another.

One way around this would be to apply a posting template, wherein each player adds a 'header' to their IC post which indicates the character's name, location and a link to any character sheet and/or other information.

Captain Hesperus

Thanks for the quick reply!

So would this posting template be something I would create for each of my players, or is this a feature that you're considering implementing?

It's usually on a game-by-game basis, so STs create a 'skeleton' and request players use it for their posts, for example:

Code:
[font=Consolas]
[center][color=#YOURPOSTINGCOLOR][b][size=6]----- CHARACTER NAME -----[/size][/b][/color]
[i][color=#YOUR POSTING COLOR]----- Profession -----

[/font]

which would equate to:

----- CAPTAIN HESPERUS -----

----- Administrator/Cute Fuzzy Gray-furred Sniper -----

----- Location: Clock Tower North Face (just abover the '12') || Accuracy International L115A3 / 5 in magazine (+2 mags) -----

Captain Hesperus

Right and each RP has a character forum for Bios and the such. So between that and posting templates, we don't need an Alias system right now. However it is something we have looked into in the past.

The method Captain suggested has been very successful at its job. If I might add, usually the name in the template or some other element links to the character's sheet for ease of access. Many games on RPdom feature a variant of this system, including my Amaranth:

Pineapple Bait

Prey to Wolves

In this case, the character's name combined with a flavor title which also links to the character sheet. This thread's original alias suggestion isn't all bad, but I believe this existing system is much more reliable and simple for practical use *bark*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back