Airships once again

Hmm that would be interesting, far more interesting than the actual flying warstriders someone had in their game once in my group.  :roll:

When looking for airships, one need look no further than the Final Fantasy series. They've got pretty much every style, from flying-dutchman to rocket-space-dragons.

What with FFXII being, apparently, very airship central I suggest you look there. Gamespot have a good trailer that's full of material for you.

Those ships are fine for the single, crazy unique styles of the First Age, some of 'em just aren't for me. But they are quite good all around.

Ormseitr said:
Instead of building tanks other armored vehicles exalted war machines take the form of warstriders. Maybe a flying machine could take the form of a gigantic suit of armor carrying it's passengers gently in it's arms and moving in mighty bounds, each leap measured in miles.
You'd have to strap yourself in pretty tight not to have your intestines juggled about in your body each time the thing landed. Also, in order for it to make sure it lands on its two (four?) feet, it should be equipped with some kind of small "wings" to control whether its upright or not while it is in the air. If it is carrying its passenger in its arms, then it would be pretty annoying for him, if the thing lost its balance.

Jeppe

Jeppe said:
You'd have to strap yourself in pretty tight not to have your intestines juggled about in your body each time the thing landed.
Not with Essence-power inertial dampeners you wouldn't.

Jeppe said:
Also, in order for it to make sure it lands on its two (four?) feet, it should be equipped with some kind of small "wings" to control whether its upright or not while it is in the air. If it is carrying its passenger in its arms, then it would be pretty annoying for him, if the thing lost its balance.
Again, one can always attribute it to an Essence-driven gyro of some sort.

Jeppe said:
Ormseitr said:
Instead of building tanks other armored vehicles exalted war machines take the form of warstriders. Maybe a flying machine could take the form of a gigantic suit of armor carrying it's passengers gently in it's arms and moving in mighty bounds, each leap measured in miles.
You'd have to strap yourself in pretty tight not to have your intestines juggled about in your body each time the thing landed. Also, in order for it to make sure it lands on its two (four?) feet, it should be equipped with some kind of small "wings" to control whether its upright or not while it is in the air. If it is carrying its passenger in its arms, then it would be pretty annoying for him, if the thing lost its balance.

Jeppe
There are solar charms around for jumping really far, several miles. So a solar artificier would have an easy time building an artifact like that.

The thing would land and take off very softly with all kinds of essence machinery in it's legs. Both the dampers and the gyro mentioned sound sensible to me. I'm also imagining it holding some sort of box in it's arms, where people could sit. This could be some kind of open pavilion for royalty or an armored cockpit for holding soldiers.

Ormseitr said:
Or maybe passengers are carried on the back?
Actually... a giant warstrider jumping several miles with a backpack for deploying gunzosha does not sound over the top really.

Ormseitr said:
This could be some kind of open pavilion for royalty
They'd better bring a handkercheif to wipe all the bugs off of their faces.

-S

I'll buy that essence protects and helps control the thing.

If you were to think very magitech-ish, wouldn't it be concievable that, in order to not only rely on essence to move it, but maybe try and emulate some kind of bug that's really good a hopping? Maybe equipping it with legs like a flea or a grasshopper in order to make it jump max distance with min. essence expenditure?

Not that a whole lot of artifacts were built for mortals, but if it would require committed essence, it seems more believable that the thing would have an actual pilot, and as such be more of a personal vehicle, rather than a sort of airtaxi, no?

Jeppe

I've had the whole jumping warstirder-thing going through my head all weekend, and it seems to me, that the most likely artifact with the capability of jumping vast distances, would be warstriders. This, for two reasons. First of all, artifacts of this size were, even in the first age, expensive undertakings and quite timeconsuming as well. Second of all, and most importantly, since these things are expensive it seems illogical to have one machine (a jumping suit) to bring you from a to b, and another (a warstrider) to do the fighting. An artifact as expensive as either would be, would be much more likely to incorporate both.

The possible uses for a jumping warstrider are many. First of all, it makes it possible to transport the things quickly and efficiently, freeing up space in the airships that was probably used for the same. Secondly, it allows for some interesting battle tactics, basically allowing the Solars piloting them to deploy anywhere on a battlefield. Thirdly, if equipped with some kind of transport cell, it could deploy a "strike team" of DBs behind enemy lines, while acting as support itself.

Alternatively, I've thought about maybe having a few Lunar warstriders with the jumping capability. It is mentioned, I think in the Lunar book, that a few of these artifacts where made, and that they allowed for shapeshifting. Maybe they could shapeshift into panther-shape, or something with equal jumping capabilities, and then enhance the distance using essence?

Jeppe

Jeppe said:
An artifact as expensive as either would be, would be much more likely to incorporate both.
You're absolutely right. Both tanks and jet fighters are extrememly expensive. That's why most modern militaries use tank-jets exclusively ;)

-S

Jeppe said:
I've had the whole jumping warstirder-thing going through my head all weekend, and it seems to me, that the most likely artifact with the capability of jumping vast distances, would be warstriders. This, for two reasons. First of all, artifacts of this size were, even in the first age, expensive undertakings and quite timeconsuming as well. Second of all, and most importantly, since these things are expensive it seems illogical to have one machine (a jumping suit) to bring you from a to b, and another (a warstrider) to do the fighting. An artifact as expensive as either would be, would be much more likely to incorporate both.
The possible uses for a jumping warstrider are many. First of all, it makes it possible to transport the things quickly and efficiently, freeing up space in the airships that was probably used for the same. Secondly, it allows for some interesting battle tactics, basically allowing the Solars piloting them to deploy anywhere on a battlefield. Thirdly, if equipped with some kind of transport cell, it could deploy a "strike team" of DBs behind enemy lines, while acting as support itself.

Alternatively, I've thought about maybe having a few Lunar warstriders with the jumping capability. It is mentioned, I think in the Lunar book, that a few of these artifacts where made, and that they allowed for shapeshifting. Maybe they could shapeshift into panther-shape, or something with equal jumping capabilities, and then enhance the distance using essence?

Jeppe
Or you just put an essence 4 athletics 5 solar into an ordinary warstrider and save yourself all the trouble :P

Ahhh' date=' I see. But why jumping warstriders when airships are so much cooler?   :P   :D [/quote']
I dunno! I just tried to be creative. To think up something different. I actually explicitly said, that I didn't think about jumping warstriders, but a suit of armor build for transporting passengers... and it jumped. But nevertheless you all had to go on about warstriders. Well warstride this!! [Makes some obscure exalted profane gesture]

DeepFlowingRiver said:
What about just a cool hot air balloooooooooon?
Sorry my nephew says it that way....
No! No balloons! Balloons are for clowns!

Oooh! And we all know clowns are evil!

... Hot Air Balloon Squadrons for the Deathlords I say! Let the reign of lemon meringue pies commence!

Users who are viewing this thread