Airships once again

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I know there is a thread on this, but it is a bit of a chore navigating it, though I did find some inspiration there.

What I am looking for is illustrations [wink wink, Jakk Bey, wink wink]. Has anyone made any drawings of airships or can point me to anything worth stealing? I am rather taken with the idea of magitech flying vehicles, but would like to see other options than the classic sails-and-a-mast airship that just floats instead of sails. I'm thinking insectile crafts or great manta ray floaters or something even more spacey. Also I'm not thinking stats or performance, but only design.

Do a google images search for "airship". Oodles of results. Oodles, I say!

-A

Ssh! I was hoping Jakk (or someone else) would bite and work out something new and shiney :)

But thanks. I'ts funny how I always seem to forget the magic of google.

Yeah, but aren't they the classic flying ship with mast and keel and sail? That type isn't much to my liking.

Ormseitr said:
Yeah, but aren't they the classic flying ship with mast and keel and sail? That type isn't much to my liking.
The barsaive ones are, the invaders got fancy stone giants.

Grmph! Can't seem to find anything. Mostly I get pictures of flying sailing ships and zeppeliners.

I've got some, but all the pieces are way too big for the scanner I've got.  Sort of Alan Davis inspired beasts, with lots and lots of sails.  All the sketchpad ones are a bit too rough.

When I do sails, I like to have a lot of space to let them furl, and that means a lot of page to do it, so that you get scale.  I find it hard to get that kind of scale on an 8x11 page, so they're all on 16x32 or larger boards.  Sorry.

Look for some images from Last Exile.  It has some intresting looking airship/battleships with a World War I look to them.

I think this one is pretty effing sweet:

AIRSHIP.gif

-S

Don't be sorry :)

I was just fishing. It's more fun to use artwork by someone you "know" than just picking up a picture from a book. Kinda quirky, I guess :)

I have a loose picture in my head of some sort of manta like craft. The sails are it's wings suspended on some kind of spindly framework. When it flies Essence is channeled down through the sails sending slow motion waves down through them as it glides silently through the air.

The other picture is more like a dragon fly complete with buzzing wings and retractable legs. It could be a kind of helicopter with the head being a cockpit.

uteck said:
Look for some images from Last Exile.  It has some intresting looking airship/battleships with a World War I look to them.
Yeah, I made my airships toward the end of the Age of Air, those kinds of airships. Massive evolution in machinery and artificing. It was crazy fun.

Ormseitr said:
Don't be sorry :)
I was just fishing. It's more fun to use artwork by someone you "know" than just picking up a picture from a book. Kinda quirky, I guess :)

I have a loose picture in my head of some sort of manta like craft. The sails are it's wings suspended on some kind of spindly framework. When it flies Essence is channeled down through the sails sending slow motion waves down through them as it glides silently through the air.

The other picture is more like a dragon fly complete with buzzing wings and retractable legs. It could be a kind of helicopter with the head being a cockpit.
Actually, Outcastes has Manta craft, suitably named Mantas ^^; They are what you're looking for, but if you need airship help, you could drop me a line. I've got a shitload of them, and not just sail and mast ones. I've translated all the Earthdawn stone ships to Exalted and Still pretty much did the Flying Behemoths.

I also have my Last Exile ships and the larger 'mini-Behemoths' I like to call them.

I've always been fond of flying citadels...take your pick at to which flavor--Dragonlance or Escaflowne. Who needs an aerodynamic-looking ship when you've got a frigging castle?

Look a few pages in, there's a pic called Empire that somewhat reminds me of First Age. Perhaps a Solar kingdom in the skies. That would be awesome.

Actually the pic called stratosphere is kind of cool. I'm considering Shogunate era airships to be something bulky and ungainly like that. Maybe adorned with myriads of baroque apendages to make it seem more impressive in a feeble attempt to recreate the wonders of the first age.

Just got a whacky idea. Instead of building tanks other armored vehicles exalted war machines take the form of warstriders. Maybe a flying machine could take the form of a gigantic suit of armor carrying it's passengers gently in it's arms and moving in mighty bounds, each leap measured in miles. It would not be a flying warstrider, as excess weight such as weapons and, well, artificial muscels for carrying them, would bog it down.

Users who are viewing this thread