Other AI in Roleplay & Writing

viceroy

viceroy of disappointment
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Has anyone else been noticing an increased prevalence of AI generated text being used in roleplay communities (in addition to other writing communities)? I've found it quite troubling, as many of these people don't make it clear that they've used AI at all, and try to pass AI-generated writing off as their own work.

I've found that the "AI-generated text detectors" tend to be pretty accurate when I've tested them with my own work, AI generated text I prompted, and what other people have written. Every so often I'll stumble across a character sheet or plot that seems a little "off" tonally, despite impeccable grammar and use of vocabulary... and lo and behold, when I paste them into an AI detector, half of the time they end up being actually AI generated. It's usually more clear when someone is using AI when their actual writing style is completely different.

So, has anyone noticed this as well? Do you think knowing whether someone's writing is AI-generated or not is actually important? I personally find it baffling, since it makes no sense to me to get into a hobby about writing and then proceed to not write, but I can understand using it as an assistant for brainstorming.

Unfortunately, a lot of AI detectors are really inaccurate (especially OpenAI). I don’t doubt that there’s some people using AI to make posts or character sheets, but, from the articles I’ve read, it seems like a lot of AI detectors give way too many false positives to be reliable.

The reason the AI detector is correct on your writing and not others may be a style thing (as in your writing style might differ a lot from what AI typically goes for, whereas others’ styles might be closer to that while still being their own original work). Plus, if someone is using a grammar-checking program or something like google translate to check their work, then I imagine it’ll probably be more likely to flag the AI detector due to grammar suggestions and such.

Also, a lot of peoples writing styles change between different posts, especially when it comes to CSs and actual posting since their both intended for different purposes. Most CSs are designed to give info on the character in an easy to understand, compact way, kinda like a educational article, whereas most IC posts are meant to tell a story, which is ideally a lot different than an educational article. Certain situations makes peoples’ writing styles change to. Maybe they just had writers block, maybe their writing is developing, maybe they’ve just never written a scene like the one they’re doing right then and it ended up giving them a completely different idea for what they can do with their style than they usually have.

Personally, I’d be uncomfortable with someone else using AI to full-on write their posts and not just to brainstorm, but I think the important thing to focus on here is the bit before that. If the tools we’re using to check whether something is AI or not aren’t accurate, then how do we even know they’re using AI? There’s so many factors going into what makes someone’s writing style be the way it is, and telling someone that you think the thing they worked really hard to make wasn’t actually made by them can be very damaging to their willingness to write again in the future and, depending on how public the callout is, could make people start avoiding them as well.

All I can think of when it comes to people relying too much on Artificial Intelligence is that one episode of Powerpuff Girls where Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles are so fed up with the whole of Townsville's Citizens so reliant on the three of them that they can't even put up with them anymore. Like do you really need A.I. to tell you what to say, and write? Next, you'll tell me you'll have A.I. decide what you do for a living. Which is only funny till you wake up and realize that they are controlling your actions at that point. Laugh out Loud.

Yes! I have noticed this. I admit I play around to get inspiration but I don't really rely on it. I've seen a whole website obviously written by AI and that was horrifying! It was for therapy too and I'm like.. This looks not ...right. I've seen some people post plots that is obviously AI driven. I think people copy and paste and don't think further but really if you utilize a different aspect like. Help me fill in the blanks of this plot. Its much better than relying on a prompt. It's kind of obvious at least at this moment . But I mean AI can not replace the cursive feelings that come with writing. AI is really really good at what it does but it's still yet to master that.

So I have mixed feelings. As long as it doesn't get in the way of story telling and is eliciting illegal activities. Like run by a good company. It makes me feel more comfortable

Hoyo!

I'm a bit old school, and I think the use of AI for creative writing is not only not creative, but disingenuous since it's not even your writing anymore unless you go through and make manual changes to it after the fact. To their credit, many people often do make changes. But still, I don't like it.

In my opinion using AI generation tools defeats the whole purpose of creative writing as a craft and an art form. Writing isn't something that's supposed to be automated. It's supposed to actually come from you. Your mind. Your heart. Your soul. Self expression and creativity cannot be done for you by a program. Let alone one that's still in its infancy and prone to egregious mistakes (have you SEEN the hands from AI art generators).

This is a whole other debate, but "art" is defined as being of "human" creation. Not AI generation tools or other programs. You might be a human being inputting the prompt to generate the content, but the content itself is 100% out of your control beyond that. So, within all legal and technical boundaries AI-generated content is not actually "art" even if it is presented in an artistic format such as digital artwork of characters and such.

As a result, my personal view is that AI generated material should not be used for anything more than maybe basic inspiration to help get an idea started. But once the idea's in your head the final product should come entirely from you.

Again, I'm old school. But that's my two cents.

Cheers!

- GojiBean

Hoyo!

I'm a bit old school, and I think the use of AI for creative writing is not only not creative, but disingenuous since it's not even your writing anymore unless you go through and make manual changes to it after the fact. To their credit, many people often do make changes. But still, I don't like it.

In my opinion using AI generation tools defeats the whole purpose of creative writing as a craft and an art form. Writing isn't something that's supposed to be automated. It's supposed to actually come from you. Your mind. Your heart. Your soul. Self expression and creativity cannot be done for you by a program. Let alone one that's still in its infancy and prone to egregious mistakes (have you SEEN the hands from AI art generators).

This is a whole other debate, but "art" is defined as being of "human" creation. Not AI generation tools or other programs. You might be a human being inputting the prompt to generate the content, but the content itself is 100% out of your control beyond that. So, within all legal and technical boundaries AI-generated content is not actually "art" even if it is presented in an artistic format such as digital artwork of characters and such.

As a result, my personal view is that AI generated material should not be used for anything more than maybe basic inspiration to help get an idea started. But once the idea's in your head the final product should come entirely from you.

Again, I'm old school. But that's my two cents.

Cheers!

- GojiBean
Yeah but what if AI could ask prompting questions to help you elaborate and really explore that soul in writing. I mean I agree with most of what you have to say. However, it's not all the AI when you utilize it as a tool Like spelling and grammar. You can ask an AI, hey look at this and tell me where there are blanks that need to be filed and it will list it and then you continue with your own authentic writing with Ai help. That is a super awesome tool . Plagiarism is another great AI tool. It can detect if what you have written is authentic . Super huge!

Just needs to be utilized the right way <3

Or just adding. AI and eye movement for those who are completely paralyzed but want to be authentically creative or communicate with others. Also awesome AI just a different type

I wonder how many books are going to be written in the future where authors let AI do the bulk of the writing and worldbuilding, it's a depressing thought. I have no interest in reading anything that's devoid of human creativity.

Kill it with fire.

I can’t say anything here GonjiBean and Madame Love Love haven’t already addressed more eloquently, so… Why would I have these hobbies if I didn’t want to do them!? I

Your last sentence sums up my thoughts personally, pretty well. In my opinion AI can be a cool tool to help brainstorm and think up ideas, even help with grammar in some cases, but it's so, so, so easy to exploit... Which is unfortunate because it can also be genuinely helpful. But as the others in this thread have said, I fail to see the point in using AI to automate everything. I want to roleplay and write because I like to write and create, so prompting an AI to make a response and then proceeding to use said prompt verbatim just seems like it takes the hobby out of the hobby.

In my opinion, AI isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's just a tool that is so easily exploitable. This thread only mentioned AI for writing so I won't go into my thoughts on image generation, but I'm sure most people reading the thread are aware that it's quite mainstream right now. It just feels strange to me that people would use AI as anything other than help with creating your own work, but I guess that's just coming from someone who finds genuine fun in the creation process.

Your last sentence sums up my thoughts personally, pretty well. In my opinion AI can be a cool tool to help brainstorm and think up ideas, even help with grammar in some cases, but it's so, so, so easy to exploit... Which is unfortunate because it can also be genuinely helpful. But as the others in this thread have said, I fail to see the point in using AI to automate everything. I want to roleplay and write because I like to write and create, so prompting an AI to make a response and then proceeding to use said prompt verbatim just seems like it takes the hobby out of the hobby.

In my opinion, AI isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's just a tool that is so easily exploitable. This thread only mentioned AI for writing so I won't go into my thoughts on image generation, but I'm sure most people reading the thread are aware that it's quite mainstream right now. It just feels strange to me that people would use AI as anything other than help with creating your own work, but I guess that's just coming from someone who finds genuine fun in the creation process.
There are AI art programs out there that pay artists, just don't allow you to use certain prompts and pull from a pool of people and artists they pay. I also use this with the AI I choose to use for writing. It just wont edit certain things it deems inappropriate. Its hard to find an ethical one but it's possible. I completely agree with everything your saying and I can really empathise with the AI art generated fears but that's not the topic I could go on and on about it too. It's a strange new world how fast technology is evolving . We have to like evolve our thinking about ethics and morals at the same time and it's so new. Even companies are like wide eyed and confused at how to handle it

I completely agree

Last edited:
There are AI art programs out there that pay artists, just don't allow you to use certain prompts and pull from a pool of people and artists they pay. I also use this with the AI I choose to use for writing. It just wont edit certain things it deems inappropriate. Its hard to find an ethical one but it's possible. I completely agree with everything your saying and I can really empathise with the AI art generated fears but that's not the topic I could go on and on about it too. It's a strange new world how fast technology is evolving . We have to like evolve our thinking about ethics and morals at the same time and it's so new. Even companies are like wide eyed and confused at how to handle it

I completely agree
Yeah I couldn't have said it better myself. It can be used ethically it's just mostly not being used that way. Above all, like you said, the technology is evolving fast and so must our way of thinking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back