• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Aether: The Dark Age

Arryn suppressed a yawn as the long day progressed and the number of customers began to dwindle. The Hinokah retinue with which he had come to Alcamoth had only arrived last night after many lengthy days of hard travel. The nobles and wealthier merchants had luxurious carriages for the trip, of course, but Arryn had to maintain both his pack horse and cart full of wares by himself the entire way, which meant no such easy journey for him. His saddle sores had saddle sores. Between the arduous journey here and the early start he had for this morning's wedding, Arryn's fatigue was starting to rear its ugly head even though it couldn't have been more than a few hours past midday.

All in all, though, it had been a good day so far. He sold plenty of merchandise of course, but more importantly several high ranking paladins had expressed interest in arranging large orders from Hogan. Fewer ranking Cainhurst officers showed interest beyond just buying something at the stall, but that was to be expected, he supposed. The wedding was a good start, but it would take much more time for the old prejudices to truly begin to erode.

In between taking orders, Arryn watched the streets around the Northern market entrance where he was situated with interest. Several notable characters had passed through over the course of the day. First, he'd seen Princess Mitsuru come through the gate, followed as ever by her silent protector, Chiyoko, looking distracted and somewhat ill. She was probably worried about her brother, Akio, if he had to guess. Hinokah honor was notoriously prickly and it would take far more than a mere wedding, no matter how extravagant, to get Mitsuru and her siblings to truly accept the forced peace with their lifelong enemies. To be honest, Arryn hoped the Hinokahs managed to swallow their misgivings this time and simply accept that Blackrock was no longer a foe; the war hurt commoners like Arryn and the poor children with whom he'd grown up far more than this wedding could ever hurt the royals' fragile pride.

Next, he'd seen three of the Cainhurst siblings surrounded by their royal guards pass him by without taking any apparent notice of him. He'd seen them all at the wedding as well and if his memory was correct, they were the elder princess Narcissa, her brother Markku, and the youngest Eleanor. From what Arryn had seen, they didn't appear nearly as frightening as the tales back home made them seem. Little children in Cloudtop were told that if they didn't behave, an evil Cainhurst would steal them from their beds at night and boil them alive before eating them whole or using them as ingredients for some foul magic spell. Hogan had always laughed at such tales and now Arryn could see why; the Cainhursts appeared no more monstrous than any other well-born noble family, not even their Hinokah counterparts. They appeared to be a normal, if overpriviledged, family, perhaps even happier than most if the way they held hands was any indication. When he was younger, a familyless urchin on the streets of Cloudtop, the sight would have filled him with a cruel longing for the parents he never knew and a deep sadness for the family he'd never have. That is in the past now, he thought with a smile. Hogan saved me from that loneliness.

The next notable pair he saw was perhaps the oddest. A gruff, grizzled looking man wearing no pants accompanied by a female paladin. He only caught a brief glimpse of them before they retreated behind a stall, so Arryn wasn't sure if he hadn't been hallucinating from the day's excitement. He must have been, he thought. He couldn't possibly have seen a man with no pants wandering the markets. It was a day of celebration, sure, but it was still way too early in the day for anyone to be THAT drunk.

Lastly, and perhaps most alarmingly, Arryn saw Prince Kuze come rushing out of the gate in a red rage, trailed by his usual retinue of guards and retainers. Close on his heels was his twin sister Princess Rei. Even in Cloudtop, Kuze was known for being hot-headed and stubborn. The man had a great deal to learn from his cool, calm, and composed brother, Akio. Arryn only hoped he didn't cross paths with the Cainhurst royals before Princess Rei could rein him in as she always did or there would likely be blood. Arryn shuddered at the thought.

There was a midday lull in customers and at this point Arryn thought it might be a good idea to eat his own lunch. He couldn't leave his stall unattended, so he'd prepared his own modest meal, just a simple heel of bread and some dried meat, beforehand. He pulled his food from the back of his cart and sat back down to eat.

Just as he finished eating, Arryn heard a loud, frightened shriek from a nearby alleyway. A young woman, it sounded like. He looked in that direction to see a small crowd gathering. Some of them were hooting and cheering at whatever was going on and others simply stood and watched with a mixture of horror and fascination. Arryn quickly glanced at his merchandise carefully arranged at his stall; if he left it, someone might steal his goods while he was distracted. If he didn't, though...

"Stop! Leave him alone, you monster! You'll kill him!" yelled the desperate female voice from the middle of the crowd.

Arryn made a split second decision and ran toward the gawking onlookers, his hammer on his right hip and axe on his left beating rhythmically against his legs as he ran. Once he got there, he did his best to force his way through the dense crowd without pushing anyone too hard lest he accidentally knock someone over and hurt them. Big and strong as he was compared to everyone else, he often had to take such care, as if everyone in the world was a delicate porcelain figurine that might break if handled too casually.

When he got to the center of the huddled mass, he saw a relatively large man with an enraged look on his face standing over the trembling, bloody form of an older man in Cainhurst-style military garb that marked him as a retired soldier from Blackrock's army. Placing herself over top of the old man to protect him from the larger one was a young, fair-haired girl, perhaps 15 or 16, who shared some of the older man's facial features, probably his daughter. The larger, middle-aged man dressed in the style popular in Cloudtop among commoners. There was a flush to his cheeks and a slur to his words that indicated he had quite a bit to drink today.

"You Cainhurst bastards," he spat venemously at the cowering man on the floor, "You stole my only son. He went to fight in the war and end your wretched king's mad reign and your army butchered him like a pig! Now they want me to make peace? Play nice like it never happened?" He tsked and spit full in the face of the girl desperately clinging to her father. "Screw that, I say! My son isn't here to get revenge on Cainhurst's military anymore, so I'm going to do it for him!"

An indistinguishable mixture of cheers of joy and screams of fright went up from the surrounding masses as the large man reared his leg back to continue kicking the old soldier, whether his daughter was there or not. The girl pressed her face to her father's body and closed her eyes to brace herself for the impact. Before he knew what it was doing, Arryn's body instinctually moved on its own. He grabbed the angry Cloudtop commoner by the back of his collar and yanked him forcefully backward before his kick reached the old man's body. Arryn put more force into the pull than he intended; the man flew past him and crashed into the front row of watchers behind him. The entire crowd let out a collective gasp of surprise.

"That's enough," Arryn said, placing his left hand on his axe handle at his hip just below its head.

The man stood up slowly rubbing his head, cursing and shouting as he did.

"Who the fuck do you think you are you miserable piece of shi-"

He stopped short when he finally got a good look at Arryn, at least a foot taller than himself and twice as broad in the chest, and caught a glimpse of the axe upon which the blacksmith's left hand rested.

"You've made your point," said Arryn. "I suggest you leave now, before the paladins notice what's happening."

The man grumbled another curse under his breath, but he did as Arryn said. "Get the fuck out of my way you fucking halfwits!" he roared as he stumbled his way through the crowd.

When the man was finally gone, Arryn turned to the girl crying over her incapacitated father. He meant to ask if she was alright or if he could help her, but before he could he saw the look in her eyes as she turned and stared at him.

Hatred. Pure, unadulterated hatred.

If looks could kill, the girl would have decapitated Arryn ten times over. It seemed his reputation as the gargantuan Cloudtop blacksmith who crafted Queen Severa's crown preceded him. The girl and her father were commoners from Blackrock, he guessed, so naturally they hated all Cloudtop citizens, including him, regardless of the circumstances. The drunk Cloudtop man had likely felt the same about anyone from Blackrock. The royal families could marry all the children they wanted, and marry their childrens' pets with one another too for all anyone cared, but buried within that girl's eyes was the blackest sort of malice that no treaty, no church, no marriage could ever overcome. Such pure prejudice for their ancestral foes likely dwelt somewhere within every Cloudtop and Blackrock citizen present within Alcamoth and without.

Overcome with a desperate desire to escape the girl's unrelenting, blistering gaze as soon as possible, Arryn bowed and apologized for his countryman's rudeness and left. He made his way quickly back to his stall, ignoring the awed stares of the people who had been watching the confrontation. When he looked behind him and saw a group of paladins and scribes approaching the scene, he moved all the faster. His childhood thieving instincts hadn't left him after all these years. Even if he knew he'd done nothing wrong, he still had no desire to get caught up with the law.

When he returned to his stall, he began counting all his merchandise, trying to make sure no one had taken advantage of his absence to help themselves to his goods. As he counted swords and compared the stall before him to the one in his memory from before he left, he was still undeniably shaken from the encounter. The confrontation with the drunk Cloudtop man was stressful enough, but that was not what really sent shivers down Arryn's spine. The blustering fool had been nowhere near as frightening as the girl was afterward. No matter how much time passed, he could not seem to get her out of his mind.

He could not forget the unfathomable depths of her hatred for him that danced behind her eyes.

Alcamoth Market Plaza

There was quite the crowd gathering.

The entertainment so far had been excellent - A traveling circus from the far East had delighted the crowds with fire breathing, juggling and some rather exceptional displays of acrobatics. (From a Dwarf of all people) If there was another Dwarf in Aether who could manage several back-flips while balancing precariously on a tightrope overlooking some rather ominous spikes - no one had seen one yet. Then there had been a rather wonderful interpretive dance retelling the fall of the Dragon-Gods. (There had been much laughter when the actress playing Meyneth had tripped on the tail of the mountain of black fabric that was supposed to represent Kolaghan, but she had recovered well to cheers and jeers from the audience). Finally, there had been a group of Illusion Mages who created a spectacular lightshow - multicolored flakes of light had fallen from the sky as the crowd had gasped and clapped in delight, and with a final burst of light two golden figures had emerged - a man and woman, obviously meant to represent King Akio and Queen Severa. The two illusions had then danced on stage to a slow waltz before rising up into the sky.

A rather finely dressed man made his way on stage afterward, clapping along with the crowd.
"Wasn't that wonderful ladies and gentleman? Truly a sight for the ages! Oh yes indeed! - but now, it is time for music and song!"

He gestured to the right-hand entrance to the wooden stage - where he was clearly expecting to see someone.

There was an awkward silence.

"Uh...where's the bard?" The man looked around, only to see some shrugs from the other performers.

------------------

Alcamoth Market Place

Mistah Mistah

Lissa ducked and weaved through the crowd as best as she could manage - a rather disagreeable challenge, as she was lugging along a rather heavy backpack that made the precise movements required nearly impossible. Twice she had walloped an unfortunate passerby with it as she made a sharp turn.

"Watch where ya' fuggin going!" her latest luckless victim had shouted at her after he had found himself knocked off his feet by the harried bard, who grinned apologetically at him without making any attempts to slow down. Lissa cursed her poor timekeeping as she turned another corner and promptly vaulted - bag and all - over a stall, much to the vexation of the merchant who bellowed angrily at the human blur.

"No time to stop!" She called out over her shoulder.

But then she did stop.

Not by choice of course - rather, she had careened into the back of a man who had been aimlessly wandering the market; causing her to trip and promptly fly through the air and to land face first with a rather sickening sounding thud. Her bag had fared little better, flying in the opposite direction and smacking into a stone pillar.

Lissa groaned quietly, a pile of limbs on the floor. Thankfully she seemed miraculously uninjured for someone whose face had been introduced to the hard stone floor at such speed. She glanced around, her pretty green eyes zeroing in on the one who had caused her to fall.

"Hey you!" She snapped at Ban Briminam. "Can't you see where you're going?"

Then her rage subsided, as a sudden spike of pain throbbed across her skull and she flinched.

"oowie."

--------------------

Alcamoth North Markets

Written with Pai Chan Pai Chan and Prrrgadilly Prrrgadilly

"Well, well, well Eleanor. I had no idea you were such an accomplished haggler. Tell me, just how much did you use my dear Lilith to convince him to lower his prices, hm? Just a little, or maybe a lot?" Markku knelt down to his sibling's height as Eleanor and Lilith returned from the dwarf's stall with spoils. A slight smirk settled across his features as he teased her about her purchase. He was sure that the dwarf gave her a fine deal, considering her sweetness (and family), but she didn't need to know that.

"Look brother!" Eleanor replied, ignoring his gentle probing as she pushed a brown bag's contents into his face.
"Look at all this neat stuff I found - I got this pretty rune... Look see the" P"? That's the symbol for joy in ancient elven, isn't it pretty? And I brought this..."

Though Eleanor had continued on to show he other spoils, Markku focused his senses on the "Joy Rune". He sensed the rune was surprisingly robust- and the wood was from Merluminal - very high quality but there was no ill will in it, only favor. [ARCANE CHECK SUCESS] Satisfied and storing the toughts away for later, he refocused on his sister.
The young girl showed him the pair of golden necklaces.

"Oh my, that's rather interesting..." Narcissa purred, glancing over Marrku's shoulder. "Is that bit of jewelry enchanted darling? How utterly wonderful - would you mind if I have a little look?"
Eleanor nodded and passed her the necklaces. Narcissa after all, was an incredibly powerful enchantment mage.
Narcissa inspected them for a moment, her black gloved hands running over the metal. "Oh, a bonding enchantment. How cute! The wearers can feel each other's emotions - terribly distracting of course but so... Romantic."
The red haired beauty smiled down at her little sister as she gave her back the pair of necklaces.
"Do be careful who you share these with darling. I don't want any dirty little thoughts getting inside your head."
Eleanor's cheeks burned red as she mumbled something and put the jewelry back in her bag.

Markku rolled his eyes out of Eleanor's view at Narcissa's comment. Of course that would get a rise out of Eleanor. He thouht before chuckling at her reddening cheeks. "Who do you plan to share that bonding enchantment with then my dear Eleanor? Perhaps you'll give it to that stablehand that admires you so." Markku's smirk grew somewhat as he remembered the awestruck youth that insisted on personally preparing Eleanor's horse whenever she rode.

"What do you think, Lilith? Who do you think she's going to give it to? Narcissa?" Markku stood up as he quirked an eyebrow at Lilith, then Narcissa, in turn.

"She did mention she would be glad to show it to her father. But other than that I wouldn't dare guess who she would or would not give the necklace to. It is not my place."

"You really are no fun sometimes. You know?" Markku rolled his eyes as he leaned back into his heels and crossed his arms.

"I wasn't trained to be a fun bodyguard. I was trained to be an effective one." Lilith retorded. "But if I did have to guess, then it would be which family member she feels closest to. But due to not wanting to put Lady Eleanor under anymore pressure I will leave my opinion at that."

"See? Having an opinion isnt so hard is it? Markku gave a tiny series of claps mockingly before giving Lilith a genuine smile. "Your turn Cissy. What do you think?"

"A girl's heart is her own." Narcissa replied dreamily, fluttering her eyelashes, causing Eleanor to let out a tiny giggle.
"Come darlings, we have precious little time before -"

Shouts suddenly began to echo through the market, drowning out the general din from the gathered crowds. The sound of a horn being blown.

"Make way!" A distant call ordered, though it was difficult to see the source through the people all around the siblings.

"Make way for the lord of Blackrock!"

"Father's here." Narcissa said quietly.

Ban continued to remain stationary thinking of different ways to retrace his steps as a way to figure out how to return from where he had originally started. His immense concentration, however, was abruptly interrupted when he felt a sudden object collide with his back. He was immediately knocked off balance, but managed to keep on his feet and from hitting the the unforgiving solid ground. It would also be at this time his eyes would glance over to see a young woman with her face firmly planted into the ground. He watched as she began to snap out in irritation due to Ban being the reason for her painful looking face plant which in truth Ban had found quite ironic and entertaining. Moments ago he was the individual laughing at others for unruly behavior and here he was performing the same deed.

He would deliver a small but noticeable chuckle as he offered his hand as a means of helping her up. “Sorry for my clumsiness” he replied locking his dazzling dark brown eyes with hers. “Guess standing in the middle of street wasn’t exactly my most intelligent idea” he said jokingly as a way to lighten up the mood.

"Funny." Lissa replied stiffly, still sitting on the floor. She made a vague gesture towards her bag, which had landed in its own undignified heap - but thankfully hadn't split open.
"Can you make yourself useful and grab my bag, big guy?"

Ban would pull back his hand as he did expect his offer of help to be declined since it was indeed his fault. Ban would obediently make his way over towards the bag taking a bit to take mental notes on how it looked. He reached downwards to pick up the bag only to discover that it weighed an enormous amount then it should have. ’Is she a thief? Is that why she was such in a hurry?’ Ban thought to himself as he continued to observe the bag.
“So what exactly do you have that makes this thing so heavy?” Ban asked as an attempt to figure out the current situation he found himself in.

"Hey now," she purred as she climbed to her feet and brushed off her clothes - a worn pair of leather trousers and corset. "Just coz you're cute doesn't mean I have to tell you anything - now are you gonna be a gentleman or not? I'm in a hurry."

Ban thought of possibly keeping the bag away from the mysterious woman, however, that could cause quite the seen which was something he rather avoid. If he was going to figure this situation out would need to at least keep an eye on her. He began to strap the bag around himself keeping a warm and inviting smile across his face. "Allow me to help you. After all you'd be able to move much quicker and much more effectively with my help. Plus its the least I could do for knocking you over" Ban said as smoothly as possible keeping a calm and collective manner towards her.
"Plus its the least I could do for knocking you over" Ban replied keeping his eyes fixated on her.

Lissa regarded him blankly.
"Are you trying to mug me? Is this what is happening right now? Coz y'know I've heard the Paladins around here are real stickelers for the rules."

Ban had actaully felt a little offended being accused of mugging someone, but realized what he was doing was immensely suspicious. He did tend to be inviting and overly helpful despite no one asking him to. He begun to think to himself and ruled out that she most likely wasn't the thief he believed her to be since she was so willing to call the guards for assistance.
"Of course not" he humbly replied. "I'm just trying to fix a mistake that I made. In fact, I myself was apart of Church's military, but left due to a few disagreements I had with my superiors. Plus if I really was a criminal bent on mugging you I doubt I'd do that in the middle of hundreds of people with guards and paladins patrolling the streets and well me allowing you to see my face" Ban said pointing out why indeed it would have been a terrible idea for anyone to actually attempt a mugging in these sort of conditions.

Lissa's emerald green eyes narrowed suspiciously.

[Persuasion Success 16]

Then she shrugged and offered him a winning smile.
"Okay fine. Not like you can run with it anyway - c'mon, it's not far. We gotta go I'm already late!"

She turned on her heel, and began to lead Ban into the crowd.

Alcamoth North Markets

Alongside Avari Avari Pai Chan Pai Chan
Honorable mention: MagicPenguin MagicPenguin

ulfric-jpg.368311

"I was rather hoping we would have more time." Narcissa sighed as she stood behind Eleanor and gave her shoulders a squeeze.

"You were hoping for too much. You know his timing is impeccable." Impeccably unfortunate. Markku thought to himself as he crossed his arms and stood behind his sisters with an easy smile expertly writ across his soft features. "Public faces, darlings. Superior smirks and nose lifting abound." Markku added under his breath just loud enough for his siblings to discern clearly.

Two huge onyx stallions drew an ornate carriage through the street - four heavily armored Cainhurst Knights escorting the vehicle and shouting at the crowds to move off the main street. The driver - a man dressed in the royal crimson colors of Blackrock - bowed his head to the Cainhurst Siblings when he noticed they were the only ones in the crowd to hold their ground. He tugged on the reigns of the gigantic horses, and the carriage ground to a halt. Lilith immediately bowed her head and curtsied.

"My Lord," he called. "Your children are here."

A pregnant moment of silence.

And then the iron door of the carriage swung open.

A man appeared, dressed in dark armor with an opulent red cloak draped around his shoulders. His hair and beard were steel grey, matching his cold eyes.

And he was gigantic. A man who boasted both height and intimidating muscle. He moved slowly and with consideration, unhampered by his heavy armor as he eyed the surrounding market with distaste.

Ulfric Cainhurst, Lord of Blackrock.

"Good day to you, Father," Markku gave the comment with a well-practiced inclination of the head.

"Father," Narcissa greeted, bowing her head. "We were not expecting to see you so soon, is everything alright?"

Ulfric stepped towards his children, his heavy boots clanking on the white stone of the streets. Many would have flinched, or involuntarily taken a step back to maintain space - but the Cainhurst children knew better. Even Eleanor held her ground, Narcissa's gloved hand still resting on her shoulder. For a moment, Ulfric ignored both the elder siblings, his cold eyes resting on Eleanor - who squeezed her bag in discomfort.

"Alcamoth is an ancient and mighty city," he growled, looming over her. "I trust you have spent your time here wisely."

"Yes father," Eleanor replied, bowing her head. "I'm learning a lot. There's so much I have never seen. Lilith helped me choose a few items to study."

"I merely stood by. Lady Eleanor was the one with the keen eye to spot those rare items. She is very wise young girl." Lilith spoke still in her same pose.

"Such a clever girl," Narcissa added dreamily.

Ulfric snorted, but did not seem displeased. "We shall see if anything valuable was gleaned when we return to Blackrock. For now, we have work to do - Narcissa, you will come with me."

She blinked. "I thought the oaths were not until tonight, father?"

"Don't question me, girl." Ulfric growled, gesturing for her to enter the carriage. "I require your talents. And as for you..."

He pointed a black armored finger at Markku.

"I have work for you, boy."

"What is it you would ask of me?" Whatever it was, Markku was sure he wouldn't enjoy it; it was extremely unlikely that Ulfric was going to task him with a magical assignment, since peace treaties and Evocation magic didn't quite mix well.

"You will locate the Human Smith Arryn."

"Arryn?" Narcissa wondered as she slinked over to her father's side, hips swaying as she did so. "The same Smith who crafted Severa's crown? How funny, we intended to visit him anyway."

" He is the witness to a violent crime against one of our own by a Hinokian man." Ulfric growled, “I require his testimony. You will bring him to the Grand Chapel within the hour."

"...In one piece." He added, after brief consideration.

Markku couldn't help the abashed expression that crossed his face at Ulfric's belated condition. He wasn't exactly proud of his... reputation as the "Madcap Mage". "Yes, Father", he added with a bow of his head. "Will that be all?"

"Indeed." Ulfric replied, turning his back on the younger man, his red cloak flapping behind him. "Eleanor - you will be escorted to the Palace to prepare for the oaths of fealty."

Eleanor wilted a little at that. "There's so much more I wanted to see...." she mumbled quietly so that only Markku and Lilith could hear.

Replying in the same quiet tone as he brushed past Eleanor, Markku squeezed her shoulder in a form of hug. "We can always return. There's a truce, now." Giving Lilith a look, he bid her to follow him.

"Father." Markku gave a slightly deeper bow before turning on his heel and strolling through the marketplace with a much more focused aura. He'd been given a hunt, by Ulfric, and Arryn was his prey.

Last edited:
Captain Evelynn von Carstaires
evelynn-von-carstaires-png.368930

"What's this now?"
A rather startled and mildly foul-tempered Evelynn Von Carstaires, Paladin Captain at work, asked as a messenger suddenly popped out of nowhere as she had been headed back to fort Mipha after her short escapade with a trouser-less drunkard that had insisted his 'friends' had stolen his pants. "Your lord requires my presence? Does that mean Ulfric himself is here?! Is Narcissa here?!? What is with the sudden arrival.." She muttered in shock, half to the messenger, half to herself. "Tell them I'm on my way" she sighed, politics not exactly being her forte, but it seemed that all other paladins of equal rank were already busy with something else. "I suppose this might put me in the good books with Stavros if I can handle this.." She mumbled, glory ever in her mind as thoughts of ranking up stepped their way through her head. Evelynn began her trek towards where the messenger was leading her, her armour, hair and eyes all glimmering in the light as the prospect of being noticed by the northerner's lord, however infamous he was, in high-esteem. "Friends in high places are always good.." She muttered, slight reluctance to take the job weighing heavy in her heart as she readied her most formal smile, prepared her noble posture and strode towards what she assumed was the Cainhurst carriage with a soft yet formal smile.

Two guards - heavily armed and armored, wearing the red and gold colors of Blackrock instantly stood before her, blocking their advance.
"You approach Lord Cainhurst of Blackrock. State your intent."

The messenger gestured to the Paladin accompaning him. "Knight-Captain Evelynn Von Carstaires has been summoned by our lord."

The guards nodded curtly, their sharp silver helmets glimmering in the afternoon sun. One pulled back and opened the heavy looking door of the carriage - a dark curtain hiding its occupants.
"You are expected, Captain Carstaires. You may enter."

Evelynn returned a soft nod of the head, resulting in the soft rustle of armour on armour as her Halberd glinted the reflection of the sun, brightly polished, yet showing a fine number of dents and scars from previous, evidently victorious battles of the past. "Thank you." she spoke with the elegance of a poet as she strode past and rapped on the door with a tight fist, protected against the heavy wood by the thick layer of metal that was her gauntlet. After the lack of a response from within, she deemed it appropriate to gently open the door, revealing the expected and renowned Narcissa and Ulfric Cainhurst, allowing her hazel eyes to scan across the duo carefully, attempting to remain as courteous as possible amongst royalty, her heart thumping slightly as the slightest of missteps could result in war, what with how high the tension was currently between each faction.

They sat opposite each other in the surprisingly spacious interior. Two pairs of grey eyes turned to observe their guest.

A long pause.

"Oh, she's simply darling, father." the woman purred. Pretty - beautiful in fact. But her smile was perhaps a little too wide, like a cat eyeing a particularly delicious looking morsel.

Ulfric was a Titan of a man, filling almost the entire side of seating that would usually be for two. He gestured to her to her with a armoured hand.
"Sit."

Narcissa patted the spot next to her. "Come here sweetie."

A brief moment of hesitation, followed by the reluctant creak of an armored captain shuffling her way inside, taking the seat provided as she sat upon the cleanly decorated royal fabric of seating that was the inside of the carriage, accepting the command and obediently taking the seat, feeling very much similar to a trained dog. “Good afternoon Lord Ulfric and Lady Narcissa Cainhurst. For what reason do I have the honour of greeting such magnificent royalty?” She asked, speaking slowly as she thought through her words with care and precision, trying to act like a true noble rather than a war-trained veteran, and doing a surprisingly good job of it. Her father had taken the time to teach Evelynn manners when she had been younger, and while she had despised them back then, she was thankful for them now.

"So polite too..." Narcissa added dreamily, fluttering her eyelashes. "Though nobles usually see through empty compliments darling."

"Enough," Ulfric growled, and his daughter lent back in her chair.
"I require the assistance of the Church with a important matter. You have been named several times for your efficiency - I trust this is the truth?"

Evelynn refrained from responding to Narcissa, her actions baffling her as she seemed to both be malicious yet flirtatious at once, unsure of quite how to respond, yet listened to what could only be viewed as praise from Ulfric. “Yes. My feats are each as true as my equipment is scarred” she replied, allowing the battle-worn weaponry she bore to speak for her as evidence.

"We'll see." Ulfric replied simply, his expression unreadable.

“May I ask as to what you require the church’s assistance with, my liege?”

"One of those nasty brutes from Cloudtop attacked one of our guests in this city," Narcissa began. It wasn't clear when she had done it, but she had shuffled uncomfortably close to her.
"Such violence puts our truce at risk, so father wishes a swift evaluation of the facts and... An even swifter punishment."

"I require you to locate the attacker, and bring them to the Grand Chapel within the hour." Ulfric grunted, his grey eyes smouldering.
"This matter will be resolved in its entirety before the oaths are given."

“A fight?” Evelynn muttered, shying slightly away from the woman known Narcissa that seemed to be caressing her side slightly. “Consider your request done, Lord Cainhurst.“ Evelynn said, standing up and stepping away from the woman known as Narissa. “I thank you for your time in coming here and apologise for such a.. problem arising under the Church's watch. The perpetrator shall be brought before you.” She said resolutely, retreating out the door to escape the admittedly beautiful, yet equally unnerving daughter of Ulfric. “Please, if you would be so kind as to tell me where I may locate the attacked Cainhurst guest.. It would aid me significantly on my search.” Evelynn asked politely, allowing herself to breathe a little more now thst she was slightly further away.

Narcissa handed Evelynn a rolled piece of parchment, as Ulfric seemed to no longer be paying the Paladin the slightest bit of attention. On the parchment was a drawing of a middle aged man - balding, with a deep scar running across his right cheek.

"Here's a drawing by daughter of the man who was attacked named Lena- isn't she talented? Such a lovely picture - he was last seen in the western markets. Drunk."

"Yes.. quite so." she said in a thoughtful tone, as her gently took the parchment, her eyes remaining cold and hard, giving Narcissa a small glance, taking in the appearance of both Ulfric and Narcissa, whom she had never met either of in person, before retreating back to the great outdoors, letting out a heavy sigh of relief as she stepped her way past the two guards, allowing the facade of kindness she had been maintaining as her face returned to its usual stern, freezing stare, intimidating enough to make anyone want to get out of her way

(NPCs played by Avari Avari )

Marcel Brightwood
Marcel was late. Like, really late. Lia was having trouble with the baby, and he had to stay behind to make sure she was okay. He was running to get his orders, his armor not helping his speed any. He dodged several citizens making their way to the festival, excusing himself as he did so.

He finally made it just in time, stopping before Knight Captain Evelynn. He saluted her, standing straight and orderly as he said, "Reporting for duty, ma'am! Sorry for being late! My wife was having trouble with her pregnancy! Ready for your orders!" You had to admit, his enthusiasm was amazing, despite his lateness.​
Noble Scion Noble Scion

Last edited:
(In collaboration with Prrrgadilly Prrrgadilly and Pai Chan Pai Chan )

Arryn breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he plopped himself back on his stool beside his wares. He'd counted and recounted his goods at least five times and, so far as he could tell, nothing had been stolen or damaged. He counted himself quite lucky for that. Hogan would have him flogged if he found out that Arryn had allowed someone to steal one of his masterworks. For the first time since the quarrel in the alleyway, he felt as though he could finally allow himself to relax a little bit.

No sooner had that thought crossed his mind, however, than Arryn heard another ruckus brewing somewhere down the street opposite the direction of the gate to the chapel and palace. He glanced that way to see the crowd parting reverently (or perhaps fearfully) for a regal figure in a refined top-hat with an opulent looking cane clicking insistently on the road's cobblestones every time he took a step. Arryn's eyes widened in surprise as recognition of Prince Markku Cainhurst of Blackrock dawned on him. The prince's indifferent gaze was fixed ever forward as he proceeded briskly down the market road. He appeared to pay no more attention to the faceless masses parting before him than another man might pay to insects he inadvertently crushed underfoot.

As the man drew closer, the blacksmith's surprise turned to shock as he realized where Markku was headed: straight for Arryn. He felt his anxious tension from earlier return to him with a vengeance. He couldn't imagine what a foreign prince would want with him, but he didn't think it was anything good. Out of the forge, he thought with trepidation as the prince approached his stall, and into the fire.

After only a few minutes of making inquiries to patrolling paladins, Markku found himself striding through the marketplace with the smith, Arryn, and his stall in sight. Honsetly, he was surprised he'd been unable to find the stall on his own; Arryn was massive. Markku was having a hard time believing that there was another person in the world as large as his father. For a second, he found himself entertaining the idea that Arryn could be one of Ulfric's seeminglingly interminable progenies, but that notion was swiftly dismissed. Arryn's parentage was unimportant; Markku only needed to know his compliance.

"Are you Arryn, the Blacksmith? The man who was involved in resolving an altercation earlier today?" Markku strode straight up to Arryn's stall and questioned the man without an introduction or pause. While waiting for a response, Markku surveyed Arryn's wares, but his eyes returned to the blacksmith's face so often, that it appeared as if he had a second pair solely to pierce Arryn with. It was a decidedly unsettling display to witness.

Arryn was a bit surprised the prince was here about the fight from earlier. It couldn't have happened more than an hour or so ago. News apparently traveled very quickly in Alcamoth. Arryn noticed the way Markku's eyes flitted from himself to the goods on display beside him.

“Aye, Your Highness,” said Arryn from his stool, “I'm Arryn Blacksmith. To what do I owe the honor of your illustrious presence at my meager shop today, Prince Markku? Are you interested in buying a masterpiece from Cloudtop's greatest Dwarven Smith?” he asked with an appropriate level of deference that belied none of his underlying anxiety at the Cainhurst's presence.

At Arryn's responsed, Markku settled his gaze wholely on Arryn once again. Now that his target's identity had been confirmed, Markku rekindled his trademark easy smile, which brightened his emerald eyes, and quirked an eyebrow. "Meager? Is that what you would call a stall ran by the man who had the honor of presenting my dear sister's crown? You think too little of yourself." Markku allowed a trace of warmth to invade his tone; the small crowd surrounding the stall seemed a bit on edge, and he did not have to patience to deal with unrest.

"While I would enjoy surveying you wares most completely, I am here in an official capacity. I am bidden, by Lord Ulfric Cainhurst, to seek you out and bring you to the Grand Chapel within the hour. Will you comply and accompany me peacefully?" Markku ended with a slight tilt of his head and tone that suggested he'd prefer Arryn's resistance, if only for the fun of it.

Well, this is a little odd, Arryn thought. Why send the crown prince to fetch him when a simple courier could have accomplished the same thing? It seemed far below the prince's station to act as a mere messenger boy. Was King Ulfric subtly insulting his son by giving him gruntwork? Or was this incident really so important that it warranted a visit from the prince? Arryn initially thought the fight was just a scuffle between ordinary citizens, but perhaps there was more to it than met the eye for the royals to take such keen interest.

Additionally, Arryn didn't really understand the reason for the threatening tone simmering just underneath Markku's polite words and it made him a little uneasy. They probably just wanted to ask him about what he saw earlier, given that the prince had already mentioned the incident when he first approached. It wasn't like he'd be in any danger, and, even if he was, he wasn't about to refuse an invitation from the prince himself. In truth, he was a bit frustrated at all the customers he would lose by leaving the festival early, but it couldn't be helped. “I am humbled and honored to accept His Majesty's invitation. And for him to send his own son, the crown prince himself, to invite me personally...it is a high honor indeed, one I do not take lightly, Your Highness. That said--” Arryn gave an uncertain glance toward his stall and all his goods, “--I cannot simply leave my goods here for anyone to steal. If you wouldn't mind giving me time to pack my goods and take them back to the inn where I'm staying, I could meet you at the chapel in about an hour. Is this acceptable, My Lord?”

"I have a better idea; you will draw up a list of your wares prices, and Lilith will mind your stall in your stead. It will simplify the matter of your goods and allow me to escort you to the Chapel in all swiftness, which is my true objective. How long would it take you to inscribe such a list?" As he spoke, Markku crooked his finger in a "come hither" motion over his shoulder, bidding his bodyguard to remover herself from the faceless masses and step forward.

Arryn caught a glance at the woman who approached the young prince from behind at a flick of his royal fingers. She must be Lilith, he figured. Markku's idea was a good one. He could accept the king's invitation without losing too much business or worrying about anything being stolen. A win-win propostion.

“An excellent idea, your highness. In truth, a list won't even be necessary. The way the stall is organized, anyone could remember the prices of the items with little hassle.” He nodded respectfully to Lilith and began to explain the layout of his goods to her, arranged by price and position, as best he could. At length. Then, just to be safe, he explained it three more times. At more length.

“No haggling,” he said, finishing his extended explanation for the final time. “All prices are final. No selling only pieces of the armor sets. They're all or nothing. Lastly, if anyone wants to arrange a long term contract with the forge, make a note of their names and ranks and let them know I will get back to them when I can.” He let loose a deep sigh, having finished his long winded description. “Any questions, milady?”

Lilith was already dumbfounded to hear Markku ordering her to remain at the stall. Before she could utter a word of disagreement she was met with an onslaught of instructions from the man whose place she was taking. What she was told seemed simple enough but there was still a lot to take in, especially, because Lilith hadn’t sold anything before. At least not as a merchant.

“So…” Lilith closed her eyes, briefly, and pinched the bridge of her nose between her finger and thumb. “Prince Markku wants me, his personal guard, to stay here and play ‘merchant’ while he goes off with someone, alone, we only just met? If anything happens to the Prince I'm dead.”

“I wouldn't worry about the prince too much,” Arryn said with a shrug to calm Lilith's fears. “The gate to the Grand Chapel is within sight. It can't be more than 50 paces. Even if he sees trouble between here and there, though, you can rest assured that I will defend him with my life,” he said, patting the axe on his hip reassuringly. “You have my thanks, Lilith. You're doing me a great service. I owe you one.”

"Now Lily, you play nice with the commoners, and don't scare them away with your bodyguard face. It simply wouldn't do for news to et around that one of my own was causing a working man to lose wages." Giving a shooing motion with his hands, and smirking, Markku turned on around and headed for gate. He obviously expected Arryn to follow. The blacksmith stood from his stool, towering over all present, and followed the prince closely behind.

"I do hope you understand that Lilith is more worried for anyone foolish enough to cross me than she is for me. Royalty aside, I am a Cainhurst first. Cainhurst are always prepared for war when the words fail, or even when they are never spoken at all. That is to say, I can take care of myself, but I will not shun the chance to be guarded by a strapping young lad, such as yourself."

"That is, um...most flattering of you, my lord. I'll do my best not to disappoint," said Arryn awkwardly, not really sure how to respond to Markku's last remark. Unsure of what to expect and a tad bit uneasy, he followed the prince quietly as the unlikely pair slipped through the gate to the chapel.

SAEROS LIMION & AURORA
Collab Post w/ Pai Chan Pai Chan

Aurora was already irritated at Saeros utter lack of interest in just about everything. But the thief was driving her over the edge. After he fell from the knife in his leg Aurora shook her head and strode over to the man. He was still in pain and looked to be quite uncomfortable.

"Are you daft?" Aurora said to the the thief and pointed towards Saeros. "Do you see that man? He's no dwarf. In fact he stands taller than most others here in the market. And that's not accounting for the very distinctive colors of the Church the both of us are wearing that you've failed to notice." Aurora took the necklack he had taken that now lay a few feet from him. She then let it dangle, swinging back and forth in front of the lad's face.

"And what exactly did you need with this?"

The thief looked at Aurora with dagger eyes and at the same time, putting pressure on his leg. "I-I just wanted to sell it! I don't even know what it is!" the man shouted. Saeros frowned and reached his arm out towards the man. The thief's hand reached out to grab it but Saeros slapped it out of the way and yanked the blade off of his leg without hesitation. The man howled in pain and starting banging his foot against the ground as if he could shake the pain away.

"You stole that necklace in front of two members of the Church of Light, during one of the busiest days of the year and you're telling me you don't know what it is?" Saeros started. Saeros grabbed the man's foot and dragged him closer to him and didn't let go. Saeros was trying to resist the urge to laugh as the man started tearing up. "I would hate for you to lose your foot in front of all these people... it would be messy" he ended with a sarcastic frown. Saeros slowly turned his head around to the murmuring crowd and they moved along almost immediately. The young Paladin turned his attention back to the thief and used his other arm to squeeze his leg.

"Okay, okay just stop!" the man yelled in pain. "That necklace... the pendant is supposed to lead the person who wears it to the Merluminal Forest" the thief said as Saeros loosened his grip around his leg. He wasn't paying too much attention to the man before, but he could now see that he had pointed ears; he was an elf. It was hard to tell at first because of his long brown hair but now that they were close, it was more clear. "Some merchant told me about it in Vakaris" he ended. The man was quite scared and Saeros looked at him with a fierce curiousity despite his shaking.

"Aurora, you hear that?" Saeros said, standing up to get a closer look at the necklace. Since he started talking to Aurora, this was the first time he seemed to be interested in talking to her. "Think about running, and you'll lose your foot thief" he quickly finished without turning around to face the man. He would still need to face judgement for his crimes.

Aurora had a grim look on her face. The mere mention of the forest brought back memories and emotions the girl would have rather stayed buried. She studied the necklace again. It was a regular leather necklace but, from it, hung a coin that seemed to carved out of a material that made different shades of color when looked at various angles. In this material, trees were etched in making it look like a forest.

"It surely isn't a material I've seen often, that this piece of jewelry made out of." Aurora held up the necklace in front of Saeros' eyes. "Doesn't it look like the artwork has more depth than the actual widge of the pendant? The craftmanship is quite exquisite." Aurora narrowed her eyes at the theif. "Unfortunately, for you, as a mage, I feel no power from this piece of jewelry. Beautiful? Yes. Magical? I don't think so. A shame you risk theivery in Alcamoth and in front of two members of the Church only to come up with a regular necklace. No different than the average. Such a shame." Aurora turned her attention back to Saeros.

"What should you suggest we do with this item and its thief, Paladin?"

Saeros stared at Aurora only after blinking three times in her direction as if he was dreaming. He was baffled how an elf such as herself would push something like that away so immediately. Even if the thief was lying, there could be some truth to it. The Merluminal Forest? Saeros had thought that people were going to finally give up on the Lumen Elves but he was clearly wrong. He scratched his head, looking back at the necklace and the thief.

"Did you not just hear what he said? Obviously something leading to the Merluminal Forest wouldn't be as obvious. I mean... if there is even a slight possibility it works you don't want to find out?" Saeros finished, completely ignoring the injured thief who seemed to be crying into his knees.

Aurora stood there for a moment, her eyes cutting into Saeros'. The wound that the girl had sealed up for so long was now open again.

"If this piece of material called a necklace is just that." Aurora snapped. "Nothing more and nothing less. The only thing this necklace has that attracts my attention is its craftsmanship. I have little to no interest in the Merluminal Forest or the elves that are obsessed with the Lumen and their gods. Their forest destroys lives and pulls families apart with that stupid call that elves say they hear. Why would I be interested in something like that?"

"Are you kidding me?" Saeros said with disgust. He probably would have punched Aurora in the face if she wasn't in the Church. "How could you be so ignorant? You are an elf yet you have no interest in the forest? That truly baffles me. Maybe the reason they are never seen again is because they found the Lumen and actually prefer to stay there. You are telling me that if you were given a free pass to the Merluminal Forest you wouldn't take it?"

Aurora, suddenly, placed a hand on Saeros chest and backed him into a nearby wall. She was so upset her whole body felt heated. It took everything else in her just not to pull her blade on the man, Paladin or not.

"Don't you throw your stereotypes at me." Aurora seethed, ignoring the attention they were attracting. "You don't know a damn thing about me and your way of thinking is what I detest most about Elves. They don't think for themselves. They are sheep that think there is this stupid path of destiny that is laid out before them with nowhere else to go. Elves like you make me sick. If you want to abandon everything and everyone you know to set out for some place you've never been then be my guest. But don't you ever assume to know my interest or wants." Aurora backed off. She felt herself calming ever slightly. The mage looked around to see quite a few spectators. Seeing two members of the Church at each other's throats must have made for some rare entertainment.

"As you were!" Aurora called out and everyone hastely continued whatever business they had before. She then turned back towards Saeros.

"And as far as you know, Merluminal Forest is a place that swallows any who enters. A death trap. That could also be the reason why people disappear when they leave for that place." Aurora looked at the injured man, once again. "Now you should really do something about him."

Saeros wanted to wrap his fingers around Aurora's throat and throw her across the marketplace but she was right; he needed to take care of the thief. He would have asked Aurora to heal him up but he didn't deserve it... plus he didn't feel like talking to Aurora for a while. He shouldn't have been surprised-- most elves brought up in the Church of Light had been corrupted. They couldn't see the value behind finding the Merluminal Forest so he let it go. He was a bit upset that she thought it was okay to touch him but maybe it was just an excuse to feel him up. She did look cute when she was mad, he could almost hug her.

"Whatever," Saeros started as he picked up the injured elf and put his arm around his shoulder for extra support. "I will take him to a temporary lock-up for now and then move him into a more permanent place after it is less busy. Depending on how his trial goes, he can be let out. I'll see you later Aurora." Saeros said as he returned to his depressing, bored tone and walked into the opposite direction disappearing into the crowd.

Captain Evelynn Von Carstaires
097D4FAE-8F0E-4D1B-8F3D-D780E5E7F0C4.png
The captain’s footsteps were halted by the sudden appearance of one of her underlings, a knight she knew vaguely, but was somewhat hazy in her memory amongst the countless other new knights she had been given control of. “What was it again? Mark? Marshal? That sounds about right..” “I don’t need excuses. You’re a paladin, tardiness is not something you should get into the habit of.” She hissed viciously, her eyes sharp and cold as the time restraint of an hour to find her mark bore down on her. “... But I suppose you could say it’s your lucky day. You have the privilege of helping me find this man-“ she said, holding up a small, tattered piece of paper as a small, cruel grin splitting across her face, revealing her fine set of sparkling white teeth. “- and bringing him to me. This is of the upmost of urgence.” She growled, the smile fading into her usual slight sneer as her grown and refined intimidating atmosphere swept around her.

“He is a man from Cloudtop, presumed drunk, may have an injury. We must have him within the hour. Clear?”
Her accented voice asked, sweet, yet harsh as her long hair flowed behind hee in the light breeze, only to bring one’s attention to the polished blade of a halberd sticking out above as her sharp hazel eyes already began sweeping through the crowds with an experienced, ruthless efficiency, determination and a slight hint of aggression resting on her face as her mind tumbled fears and excitement together, considering what was at stake and what she could gain should she perform her role well enough.
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Last edited:
Marcel Brightwood
Marcel nodded, standing straight up as he said, "Yes, ma'am. It won't happen again." He hated to say that, as it felt like he was making a false promises, but he didn't really have a choice in the matter. Lia was having difficulties with her pregnancy, and the apothecaries were afraid that she may not survive childbirth, or even lose the baby as well, and Marcel was extremely stressed out. The last thing he needed was his superior breathing down his neck. He saluted, saying, "Understood, ma'am! I'll find him as soon as I can." He walked off, searching through the crowd as he searched for the man in the picture. He was just glad to be away from her. She scared him. There was a sick, hateful atmosphere he felt around her, and Bryce prayed that she wouldn't be around when his child became a Paladin. He could swear he saw the man five times over, but there were so many drunk men wandering around he couldn't find him. He started cursing, saying, "Goddamnit! Captain Evelynn's gonna be chewing my throat out if I don't find this guy. Where is he?" He started to panic, the man thinking of all the ways the Captain could punish him. He didn't even care what the guy did at this point, and he just wanted him found. He eventually stopped sighing as he sat on a box defeated.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back