Advice/Help Advice on Doing Quest Log Roleplay in RPNation

Ranix Aurus

Languishing in Progress
Roleplay Type(s)
Request implied in the title.

More specifically, I've seen some sample of Quest Log in the site, and they used different method to do so. The how-to thread from Shark-chan said to use reply for voting. So to make it easier to know what I asked help about, hereby I describe my questions in point form.

Beginning the Quest
  1. Should I make interest check in the Questing section?
  2. Relevant to number 1, do I need to wait until there are people replying the interest check or just make the quest immediately and wait until some random person voted?
  3. If using interest check, should the vote only restricted to the people expressing interest (fixed number) or other randoms can join in the vote as well?
Thread Structure
  1. Do I put vote in the same thread as the quest content? Or make a separate, dedicated thread for vote and/or OOC?
  2. If separated, how to prevent other people from replying in the content thread?
  3. Do I use threat replies to vote, or create a polling thread instead? Although from what I've tried we can't edit the polling so might waste a lot of thread...

I...think this is all the question for now. Thank you in advance :3

Should I make interest check in the Questing section?
Yes.

Relevant to number 1, do I need to wait until there are people replying the interest check or just make the quest immediately and wait until some random person voted?
That is all up to you. Generally, when I think about making a roleplay, I prepare all of my materials, but wait to post everything until I know that people are interested. Inviting friends is a good way to gather more people.

f using interest check, should the vote only restricted to the people expressing interest (fixed number) or other randoms can join in the vote as well?
Again, up to you. There's no wrong or right way. You are more than welcome to restrict it to interested members only or to keep it open to the public. You'll probably get different results from either situation.

Do I put vote in the same thread as the quest content? Or make a separate, dedicated thread for vote and/or OOC?
Again, no right or wrong way to do it. From what I have seen, people separate the two.

f separated, how to prevent other people from replying in the content thread?
State that you do not want other people to vote unless they know they are allowed to. If they do, just ignore their vote.

1. Do I use threat replies to vote, or create a polling thread instead? Although from what I've tried we can't edit the polling so might waste a lot of thread...
As you have already discovered, you won't be able to edit your own polls once they are created. You can create your own thread for polling purposes if that is what you wish.

Here is a great example of a quest log roleplay (featured roleplay of the month, too). I'm sure that wonderandawe wonderandawe would not mind if you used their structure as inspiration. Setting up a roleplay is subjective. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Just do it. Learn. Then do it again. :)

I just throw everything (IC, OOC, Votes) in one thread. I mark all the IC posts as threadmarks. People who just want to read the story and avoid the votes and OOC discussions can view the thread in Reader Mode.

I didn't get many replies to my interest check, but got a fair number of players. Don't get discouraged if your interest check doesn't generate responses.

Thank you Chordling Chordling and wonderandawe wonderandawe for the tips! First time I saw threadmark, never knew that thing exists. I shall proceed to abuse this feature.

Please give my attempt a glance later when I put it up hohoho *sneaky self advertisement done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back