Opinion Adopting Cats

Lioness075

Everyone's fighting some battle of their own.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay, so this may end being a bit of a rant, but I want some advice on a big decision I'm going to be making next year. The decision could happen at two different points of the year and so I'm asking for people to help me reinforce which timing would be better, whether or not my emotions agree with the decision.

So, LSS I've wanted to adopt two kittens since I was 16-years-old. Fast forward to today, I now realize it makes much more sense overall to adopt two adult cats instead. Fun fact: I'm in the military and by flashing my ID at two different shelters, I can adopt two adult cats for free. Of course, I've done my research and am making sure that I adopt at shelters that have covered the first vet visit for the cats with their vaccines and immunizations, as well as already fixed the cats when they were young (hopefully to avoid drastic personality changes as adults). I also have a pet sitter friend who has a ton of leftover cat toys and whatnot that she no longer needs and is willing to give me for free, so I wouldn't have to buy nearly as many supplies upfront to get started. And I will be moving to a 1-bedroom apartment next year after I spend 4 months at Fort Lee for military training, which happens to involve me staying in a pet-friendly hotel suite the entire time. Currently, I have three guinea pigs all sharing one big cage, which I do plan on converting into one of those DIY cages once I have my own space to work with.

So, the big decision is deciding when to adopt the cats. I have a long drive up to Fort Lee for my training and it will take most of one day to get there, so if I adopted them to bring them with me to the training then they'd have to be in the car for most of the day. I really want to do this mostly because I've waited for so long to adopt cats because I haven't been in proper living conditions for cats to share space with me as of yet. The hotel room is pet-friendly and my guinea pigs won't need the entire space for themselves anyways (and I'll be mindful to keep their space closed off from the cats just to be safe). So, I could adopt the cats and take them on a road trip with me to the training (I will have a lot of free time to spend with them and the piggies).

Alternatively, I will be moving into the 1-bedroom apartment after the training and could adopt them then. The only downside is I will be moving to a new county and it could be more difficult for me to get to the shelters. But yeah, the apartment would be even more spacious compared to a hotel suite, so I'm just trying to see what people think about this.

Of course, I will ultimately make the decision on my own, but I know it never hurts to ask for a second opinion.

I would wait until you get to your apartment. Most cats don’t like car rides, and certainly not long ones. More often than not, they may also experience distrust when first getting adopted and all the traveling may make it worse. Also, a hotel room (even if pet friendly) isn’t the best place for a newly adopted pet. They’ll likely adjust better to to stability and the home aspect of the apartment you plan to get.

At the end of the day, do whatever you think is beer for you and your future pets. Cats are tricky animals, although lovable and sweet. I adore both mine but when I first got them, they were little hellions. Good luck with your training & enjoy Fort Lee. It’s really nice out there with lots to do!

I agree with the above post. I would wait until after moving. Your new cat will already be stressed from changing environments, and adding to that may not help them adjust to their new home any time soon. You also plan on getting two, which, if the two cats aren't already properly introduced, will probably cause even more stress for the three of you. Especially if they are adult cats.

I have 4 cats. They all HATE car rides. They howl bloody murder the entire time.

If they are like my cats:
Adopt them and take them for a car ride where they are in a car all day long and you will have permanent hearing damage. They are already agitated, upset, pissed off and you are taking them to an unfamiliar place where they don't feel comfortable that is the perfect storm for them attacking you and each other. If you absolutely can't wait then I suggest consulting a veternarian about sedatives to mellow them out or knocking them out during the car ride.

What you need to do is wait until you move in to your apartment then adopt close to home. Doing that will minimized trauma to you and the cats. When you adopt you need to provide a stability at first so they can get used to you, each other, and their new environment it is a lot to take in. Force them to do it all over again within months of the first time can lead to emotional issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back