Actors you were surprised to find?

Tardy Grade

The Page Turner
Basically mention an actor you were surprised to find took part in a movie you'd either seen, known of or an animated movie or series they voice acted in.

Example:

• Johnny Depp in Nightmare on Elm street franchise.
  • Peter Dinklage in Narnia (as Frumpkin)

(Try to avoid repeating :'3)

Didn't know that Daniel Radcliffe did another book to movie rendition called Horns by Joe Hill (I love the book... not the movie ~.~)

How in the name of Jobel did Jim Cummings manage to get into the Garbage Pail Kids movie?

Also Rob Paulsen as Bubsy i guess 

Last edited by a moderator:
There was this cheesy monster series of films called 'Critters' and I kid you not! Leonardo DiCaprio was in the third installment for it xD

Holy smokes I just found out that Vin Diesel has voice acted as more than just Groot but was also the voice for the Iron Giant! Whoa ... That's pretty cool tbh.

There was this cheesy monster series of films called 'Critters' and I kid you not! Leonardo DiCaprio was in the third installment for it xD

I love this franchise xD I totally forgot Leo was in that! I think that's where I fell in love with him as an actor actually, reflecting back, haha. Oh, sci-fi <3

I was surprised to see Johnny Depp in 'Fantastic Beasts'. I had no idea that cameo was coming then BAM. Johnny Depp, yaaassss. 

I just found out that Matthew Mercer who does the voice of McCree in the Overwatch game also did the voice of Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil. That blew my mind and now I can't stop thinking of that one line from Rick and Morty

tumblr_inline_nsuf56TEll1qbocga_540.png

@Lenchan and @myvalentina I knew about the first one from all the fan theories after posters and screen caps compared Leo's head with ... You know who ;)  Well not Voldemort but you know what I mean.

The second one is a huge shocker to me! :o

Here's a cartoon one. Not sure if you know about Phineas and Ferb but ... Thomas Brodie-Sangster voices Ferb! (Guy who played Jogen in GoT)

I love when I have epiphanies about voice actors:

When I realized Kirsten Dunst voiced KiKi in 'KiKi's Delivery Service'.

When I recognized Tom (Toonami host) and Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) were voiced by Steve Blum way long ago. I still get surprised by the diversity of his reach to this day. 

Jaleel White (famous as Steve Urkel in Family Matters) voiced my Sonic the hedgehog. 

Finding out Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist) voiced Donnie Thornberry on The Wild Thornberrys. That was a big/great discovery

Remember Marvin from pulp fiction? The guy in the car who gets the surprise and then spoiler spoiler spoiler? Well turn's out that the same actor,Phil LaMarr, voiced Samurai Jack and JLA Green Lantern John Stewart in the animated TV series. 

When I was little I loved Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony (I'm embarrassed to say I still do) but when I recently rewatched one of my old favorite Strawberry Shortcake episodes (side note: did you know there are four f*cking seasons of that stuff?!) I recognized the voice of Lemon. Well, guess what I found: Andrea Libman did both Pinkie Pie AND Lemon Meringue! I knew I recognized that voice.

Edit: Also, Tara Strong voiced Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony), Raven (Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go), and Strawberry Shortcake (Honda Clearance Commercial). Yeeeaaah.

I was surprised to see Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) on The Flash. I'm also fairly surprised about Donnie Yen (Ip Man) being in the next Triple X movie (the fact they're making another is a shocker too.)

Tara Strong

Let's be honest here, she's a veteran voice actress for cartoons and she's brilliant. I'm never surprised by finding her in some role in like any cartoon either as a cameo character or as a main one.

The Simpsons has had a lot of cameos but they're usually with a character drawn like the voice actor to some degree. I do however recall my sister telling me the voice of the Coyote from Homer's spiritual journey episode was voiced by Johny Cash. It was a weird episode for sure.

Donnie Yen

Great action/ martial arts actor. Though I mean we all knew about this one once we saw the trailer XD 

Let's be honest here, she's a veteran voice actress for cartoons and she's brilliant. I'm never surprised by finding her in some role in like any cartoon either as a cameo character or as a main one.

It's true. I just didn't expect her to voice Strawberry Shortcake, although that does seem like the perfect role for her. I especially did not expect it to be in an advertisement for Honda, though...

Helena B.Carter better remembered as Bellatrix or from her role in Fight club was also the female lead ape of the Planet of the Apes in 2000(?).

dr-zira1.jpg
 <--- Found this out when we were marathoning the Mark Walburg sci-fi movies of yesteryear. So much laughter XD.

And I'm back after another find. This time courtesy of WatchMojo.
8a107104da4af20cc7f114744f1747fd.png

The English dub of Howl's Moving Castle had Howl voiced by none other than the dark knight himself, Christian Bale, who is also an anime fan in his own right.
swingkids.jpg

Michael Cara was Brother Bear from the Berenstain Bears.
Vin Diesel was the Iron Giant.
Scott Adsit voiced Baymax.
All of these I was surprised by.

Young Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Third Rock From the Sun.

Katherine Parkinson from IT Crowd having a minor role for a couple of episodes of Sherlock.

Studio Ghibli usually has excellent casting for its English dubs. I recently learned that Gillian Anderson, Patrick Stewart, Kathy Bates, Clancy Brown, and many others had lead or supporting voice roles in at least one film.

Edit: Also, Tara Strong voiced Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony), Raven (Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go), and Strawberry Shortcake (Honda Clearance Commercial). Yeeeaaah.

Tara Strong also voiced Mandy in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back