• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A World Forsaken

Characters
Here
Ultio couldn't help himself but to sigh as the realm around them began to break apart. Time is coming to an end for Utos, as it was said it would. Shame, he'd rather have had these decisions made with Utos still around. Things will likely be... Difficult without him there to preside over it. Another difficult thing to deal with is the knowledge that, although no guarantees that they're his recipes, Jericho is being administered poisons by some... Bird lady?

Honestly, that confuses him a bit. Is it a lady sized bird? Literally just a female bird? Is it one of the special races of one of his fellow divines? Unlikely, Inquisition isn't fond of those... Maybe it'd be Like, a human or an Elf or something wearing an outfit resembling a bird? Though that's preposterous, surely their enemies don't look THAT ridiculous... Right?

With a movement that felt a little too smooth and easy for his liking, Ultio slid his right hand into his left sleeve to procure a coin. A simple coin really. Emblazoned on its faces were a grinning fool and a bloodied dagger. Silently, Ultio stood up from his seat and began to make his way towards the portal out. He thought he should feel... More at this. Perhaps curiosity at seeing another god die? Anger at the cruelty of the world to have Utos be taken from them? Fearful of what lay in store for this faded divine council? All things he should be feeling, but didn't really.

No, he was simply feeling conflicted. The God of Vengence can't truly condemn the acts of the Inquisition in this matter. This is vengence for the wrongs the mortals have suffered at divine hands... Even if Utos should've been the last to suffer for that, it didn't change the fact. Although he'll get vengence for this act, to kill the ones who took Utos from them... He also had to acknowledge that vengence was carried out at this moment too. His walk to the portal paused as he passed Utos.

"May whatever awaits our kind after death treat you well, Utos. Out of every god here, you deserved this the least." Gently, Ultio would place the Dead Man's Coin in front of Utos, the bloodied dagger side facing up. "You may not have asked for us to avenge you, but know that even if it'll be with my dying breath, they shall pay for this. You will be remembered, and if we manage to destroy the Inquisition, you will be held in the highest regard by at the very least, me and my worshippers for giving your final moments to let us gather."

Ultio would also attempt to quickly sneak a little scritch scritch on Cervasis' head. He'd not try and deny the cat it's desire to stick with Utos till the end. Utos didn't deserve the misery of dying alone, even if he wished for Cervasis to flee.

Whether or not Cervasis tried to slash at his hand, Ultio would already resume his march to the portal. Partially out of worry that if he stuck around too long, he may end up stuck, partially to get away from the sad sight of seeing Utos dying. With another sigh, he'd step through the portal. Truly, a moody teen.

a few simple words sent Aimar back down into his spiral again. The mention of his other half brought up a pair of pain and guilt that burned deeper than anything else. His own actions had lead to his twins decision, though as may times as he repeated that to himself he couldn't make it hurt any less. Not even time had delt with the festering wound of this loss, and now it was being probed again.

This time Aimar could not ground himself, his sister could be dead. How many nights had he spent looking up at her creation wishing things were different? How many wishful dreams of seeing her again had he undergone. But now it could all be wasted, she could be gone forever. Aimar felt himself shutting down as he silently curled in on himself, forcing his mouth shut to keep out noise as tears began to cascade down his face.

How would he explain this? For in this momment he was Cyrus yet again. He was not mouring a friend like Aimar would have but rather the loss of his completion. For many moments Aimar hid away from the commotion and conversation, his brain tuning them out in favour of his breakdown.

It was not until he heard the fae mention guiding the group to Jericho that his head snapped up. His focus returned as he saw one of his sisters children. Aimar wanted to cry all over again, but the knowledge of Jericho's life breathed relief back into him. Aimar shakily composed himself as he hovered behind the group, wanting nothing more to say something but not being able to bring himself to do so. Thankfully his blindfold had absorbed most of his tears, as he recovered his breathing, doing his best to listen to the group again.

He would rescue Jericho if it cost him his life. Even still he could not find the words to offer to the group, biting back desperate questions in favour of hovering. I will be there soon, Little Moon

(click the accordion!)
Last Goodbyes (Altaqula, Tes-Nenet, Ultio, The Reaper)
@Arai
Utos seemed shocked at Altaqula’s hug, but his expression changed into a smile. The gesture was quick, yet the warm feeling lingered. “Farewell, my friend.”

Cervasis hissed at the invasion of his space, but he didn’t swipe at the goddess. He instead remained firmly in his place, refusing to move for anything.

jmann jmann
With great effort Utos weakly raised his arms to return the hug. The effort exhausted him and he seemed to wilt back into his seat after the gesture, yet despite the cracks along his face he looked more content than he once did.

“I never forget promises.” he said faintly, gaze distant. “Be safe, my friend…”

Cersasis growled deep in their chest at Tes-nenet’s suggestion. Even after they were begged by the life goddess herself, the cat sat stubbornly where they were. Their tail lashed from side to side, still growling.

The True Plague The True Plague
Utos’ eyes slowly moved to the coin and then to Ultio. He inclined his head, “Thank you, Ultio. Be well.”

Cervasis actually let Ultio scratch his head affectionately, though the cat’s current distractions seemed to play a large role in this. They were thinking deeply about what Tes had said, eyes glaring at the floor even as everything crumbled around them.

Sunsmiter Sunsmiter
“Between the two, I would gladly take peace.” Utos had a faint smile on his face when he said this, as if spotting a glimmer of water in the desert after travelling for days.

Cervasis hissed sharply at The Reaper’s comment, turning into a drawn out yowl. The cat glanced up at Utos. There were so many things to say and yet they were robbed of a voice. Utos placed his hand on Cervasis’ head.

“I know.” he said weakly, the softness of his gaze untouched by the cracks stretching from his eyes, “It’s alright. If there’s any chance, we both would wish you to take it.”

Cervasis stood up and butted their head against Utos, purring loudly. The cat then turned and dashed away through the portal, ears pinned back.

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐
End of prologue!
♟ Utos received an overall fond farewell.
♟ Nishi’s wounds were healed with divine magic.
♟ Cervasis was convinced to leave.
♟ The ashes of the artefact were left behind.
└─── °∘❉∘° ───┘​

Chapter 1: In The Red City's Shadow...
florent-llamas-villagenuit.jpg

seasonedcat seasonedcat jmann jmann Solirus Solirus ThatWhichShouldBe ThatWhichShouldBe Barbas Barbas Historia Calamatium Historia Calamatium AiDEE-c0 AiDEE-c0 Arai Arai palmtree219 palmtree219 R U S T R U S T Sunsmiter Sunsmiter The True Plague The True Plague Zenritch Zenritch
After stepping through the golden portal, the rag-tag group of gods would find themselves in what appeared to be a humble, yet well furnished house. They were standing in an open living area, which was more of a study thanks to the bookshelves along the walls and the large desk tucked in the corner beside the fireplace. There was a tidy kitchen area nearby and a loft with even more bookshelves and a bed. The windows let in the moonlight and there was a pillow underneath one of them. Cervasis immediately hopped up onto it and curled up into a ball with their back to the group.

Nishi plopped onto the couch, wings splayed out over the embroidered cushions in exhaustion. "By the moon that was close! I almost got blown away like an autumn leaf!"

They sat up as they talked, bothered by something. With tiny claws they scratched furiously at their neck, the flesh beneath still raw and inflamed. Now it was starting to bleed. Nishi didn't seem to notice it though. They scrunched up their face and narrowed their eyes as they struggled against the metal collar, as if pulling it fruitlessly would eventually snap it off. Upon closer inspection, the red crystals embedded in the collar were glowing faintly.

“Erm, I know I've already asked a lot but, oh…” they said sheepishly, gazing up at the gods. Nishi blinked a few times in nervous consideration, but the urgency of their itching spurred them into desperate begging “Please, please, please help me break this thing off my neck! So scratchy, very scratchy... but can’t itch it!”

✵Study/living area
  • A couch with embroidered cushions and blankets from Thiebes. Looks expensive.
  • Map of Laistan with markings on different locations; Ylares, Wolfwater, Hartwood, and Rosewood Forest. The markings are linked by roads, as if it was a trade route.
  • Burnt papers in the fireplace (unreadable except for a few scraps. One can be just barely read the singed words "Silk Mare --... have and always will be --... Bay. Skies ar--..."
  • Cold cup of tea
  • [Utos' desk]
    • Quills, paper and ink galore
    • Crane-shaped paperweight
    • A book detailing the fall of Yolan.
    • (in drawer) Locked box
  • [Bookshelves]
    • COUNTLESS nonfictional works about laws, history, architecture and trade.
      • (There actually seems to be no works of fiction except for 3 books; 'Adder's Fall', 'The King, the Maiden and the Stag', and 'Chorus of the Nameless'.)
    • Records of caravans passing through Ashton.
    • A dusty harp
    • An antique Yolan glass puzzle sphere. The delicate mechanisms are still unsolved.
    • Locked box
✵Kitchen/pantry
  • Simple foodstuffs (bread, some cheese, etc)
  • Pots of exotic spices
  • Various teas, both foreign and native
  • Unopened wine bottles
  • Empty bag
✵Loft/bed area
  • More bookshelves
  • Chest filled with neatly folded clothing
  • Bed
  • (on shelf) a rusted weighing scale, permanently stuck in stasis
  • (on shelf) pleasant smelling incense burner

Beyond the house, any god prone to travelling (and bold enough to venture near The Red City) could easily recognize this town as Ashton. It was a town situated at a crossroads between Ylares and the Central and Southern sections of the empire. Many merchant caravans and travelers pass through this town on their way to Ylares, which could be easily seen in the distance as a collection of dark walls and towers silhouetted by a steady red glow. At night, its title as The Red City was most notable. On foot, it would take a few hours to reach the city.
✵Misc. Interests
  • There is a group of 2 inquisitors patrolling the sleepy streets. One is carrying a red lantern for light while the other has a dog beside them. Both carry swords and appear to be typical inquisitors.
  • a town billboard with various posters and wanted signs. A few examples include;
    • Missing Cat. Clearly made by a child.
    • Help wanted at Tomson Ranch
    • Bounty for wolves. Will pay for each hide.
    • Wanted poster for some skinny looking man who apparently stole books from the local library.
    • An ad for an upcoming performance at the tavern.
✵General buildings
  • Smithy
  • Market (closed)
  • Bakery and mill
  • Carriage house
  • Tavern
  • Inn
    • Stables
    • Parked carriage (full of wooden boxes)
    • Prisoner cart
      • two people are huddled inside
      • currently being guarded by an inquisition knight
✵Nearby Areas
  • Forest
  • River
  • Lake
  • Crop fields
  • Pastures

The moon still hung high in the sky, but was now on its decline. It would be several hours until dawn, but it was more than enough time for preparations and personal matters. The gods will need to travel to the city, but that will take a few hours by foot. All the carriages are out of commission for the night. Nightly commutes are not uncommon, but draw more suspicion from guards.

Right now the characters have a bit of time to explore the surrounding area, interact with others, and even do their own thing for the time being. During this period you as a player will be able to control minor NPCs such as animals, non-important villagers (just ask me if you aren't sure if someone is important enough for GM control), items around town, etc. Feel free to ask me questions on discord, including things like "what happens if I __?". I will make GM posts as needed or if triggered by certain actions!

I will be checking in with players to see how people feel about the pace. There will be a vote on discord as a sort of 'ready check' for the time skip. When people are ready to fast forward to morning and the arrival to Ylares (depending on the plans and prep made during the night) then just react to that message. When the majority wants to move on I will make the skip. Anything left unfinished can be summarized in your next post!

Dont know where to start? Here are some suggestions:
  • Gather anything needed from Utos' house. There may be secret goodies
  • Interact with Nishi or Cervasis
  • Discuss plans for finding Jericho
  • Find transportation to Ylares
  • Check out the 2 prisoners.
  • Fight a homeless man
  • Cry yourself to sleep.

Last edited:
Guardian

Guardian very soul cried as he took a step through the portal, seeing his dear friend for one last time as the realm collapsed into oblivion. He didn't acknowledge his surrounding until after he silently mourned for Utos's passing. Once he managed to calm himself down Guardian began observing the room he and the other gods were in, moving himself first to the desk. Opening the drawers he found a lockbox, carefully he picked it up and placed it ontop of the desk observing it before reaching out to pull out the ring of keys gifted to him by Utos. Guardian clutched onto the rings but without further hesitation inserted a key into and and unlocked it, revealing within it a hefty coin pouch. This pouch held coins of value to mortals, yet he had never been interested in such things and he could not know the true value these were to others. Guardian grabbed the pouch and moved towards Aisyr, "These hold value, but I believe you know their real value more than I do... and I trust you to keep them safe." Guardian gently gave the pouch to Aisyr before spotting another lockbox on the book shelf and opening it.

The contents however were different. Inside this box laid a torn piece of fine silk, a charred scrap of canvas, a large and singular moth wing, a carved statuette of a bull, and a broken compass with the engraving of a prancing unicorn surrounded by laurels of orange tree leaves on the inside of the lid. Guardian could make little sense of these objects, but perhaps another of the Gods could. Guardian moved the box to the table, unlocked but with the lid covering the contents.

Guardian kept strolling across the house, grabbing a bag and stuffing it with as many history books as he could alongside bread a cheese. Guardian slowly made his way to the door and into the outside, speaking plainly to all that could hear him inside, "Fellows, I shall stroll across the town as a means to understand out surroundings further... and to soothe my sorrow at the one we have lost today." Thus Guardian left the house, carrying the bag around and letting the cool night breeze hit his armor, unknowingly heading towards the inquisitorial knight and prisoners.

Interactions: palmtree219 palmtree219

The process of being transported from Utos's realm was an uncomfortable experience, but thankfully it did not last for long. One moment they were all being sent through a portal, the next they were in Utos's home. Belgrin wasn't too affected by being sent through the portal, but it still left him feeling somewhat disoriented. Luckily, it only took him a brief amount of time to fully recover, and when he did, he was able to look around the abandoned building he and the other Gods had been sent to. At first glance, he was able to tell that this place would serve as a comfortable temporary hideout, but his focus was mainly on the supplies they would be able to scavenge before they left.

Belgrin was aware that they would need to stock up on certain basic supplies if they wanted to prevent their mission from ending in a complete disaster, with him, in particular, needing a new set of clothing, preferably one suitable for traveling. It's not that he disliked his current attire, and in fact, he was even somewhat fond of it, but it is just no longer suitable for the current situation. He was sure that the armor was still capable of offering a decent amount of protection despite the wear and tear it suffered over the years, but the rusty suit of armor was just far too conspicuous, and would just attract the attention of the Inquisition and their informants.

He would have to rummage around until he could find something that suited his taste, but for now, that could wait. Something else was attracting his attention, and that something was the moon fae, Nishi.

The creature's scratching made it hard to ignore, and for a brief moment, he contemplated just crushing the annoying little thing. That thought was tempting, but he quickly dismissed it. The moon fae was getting on his nerves, and it was the creation of a God that he never cared for, but Nishi could still potentially be useful to them. Not only that, but Belgrin was also intrigued by the collar around his neck. He was greatly concerned about what he heard about the Inquisition during the meeting, so he figured that this would be a good opportunity to study one of their devices.

Belgrin walked over to the window Nishi was laying under and examined the collar. Or at least he tried to examine it. The moon fae’s constant movements made it difficult for him to get a good look at it, and this quickly led to the Wyrm God becoming irritated.

"Stop moving, you little wretch.” he snapped.” I want to take a closer look at your collar, and I can't do that if you keep scratching yourself like a stray mutt infested with fleas."

Thinking that that would be enough to get Nishi to remain still, Belgrin tried again to get a better look at the collar. He even went to poke at one of the collar's glowing crystals.

Interactions: Juju Juju

Last edited:
Marzena | Mare
Mare.S..Ephemeral.full.519018.jpg
For a moment, Marzena almost regretted her words when Pauper obviously misinterpreted them. But she was glad that Aisyr was there to straighten things out so she could remain steadfast in her beliefs. After all, while her words may seem harsh at the surface, her intention was to rouse her brethren to take a more active approach rather than just continue to languish until the damned Inquisition snuffs the last of their followers.

As the gods continued to bicker amongst themselves, several things occurred that completely changed the gloomy atmosphere of the gathering. The first of which was Bari's surprise appearance. If even Utos was astonished that the forge god was alive, it meant that there was still hope that his information network isn't as reliable as it seems and that others of their kind still live. Although she felt sorry at the state that Bari was in, she hesitated to provide aid in righting him from the floor since she wasn't confident she had the strength to do so.

The next visitor was no god, yet their presence, dare she say, commanded more presence than any other god in that realm. It only took a second for Marzena to recognize the creature was a moon fae, one of Jericho's creations. She was tempted to flash Utos a smug grin as his belief that anybody who failed to appear in his summons was most certainly dead was challenged twice now. But the enthusiasm she experienced collapsed immediately upon observing the pitiful state the creature was in, and the harrowing news it revealed to the council.

A mixture of anger and relief washed over Marzena after she heard Nishi's revelation. Anger for the abhorrent treatment Jericho was being subjected to at the hands of the Inquisition... and an odd sense of relief that the damned fools are finally attempting a direct approach. While the thought itself would've inspired fear and anxiety for some of her brethren, it gave her hope that there would be a day when the needless slaughter of the faithful would finally come to an end.

Then again, it may just be wishful thinking on her part. After all, why give up a method that's proven effective when they can simply use it in tandem with their new solution? In any case, this just meant that if the Inquisition succeeds, nobody could just sit back in one corner of the world and wait for their demise. No. As soon as they perfect the method to kill gods directly, the bastards would hunt them down more ferociously than ever before. It also meant that war was inevitable. While some of her peers may no longer be interested in fighting in another conflict, Marzena could never afford that luxury. Not when he's still waiting for her to wake him up and save him.

As if to signal the end of their final meeting, cracks started to form all throughout Utos' realm. It would seem that time has run out for her fellow god, and the state of his realm rapidly being devoured by the void meant that they couldn't even hold a funeral for him. As she watched her kin say their farewells, the Dream Goddess glanced at the key she held in her hands before she made a decision. She waited until the last of the gods had gone through the portal before she approached Utos.

"They say that dying in one's sleep is the most peaceful death any living being could ask for. I used to have so many terminally ill followers beg me to put them to sleep in their dying hours..." Marzena said in a gentle voice as she gazed fondly at her dying friend. "I cannot stop death, regrettably. But I hope with this, you can pass on in peace. Rest now, and abandon your worries. You deserve to have a pleasant sleep."

As Marzena placed her hand on Utos' forehead, he would feel himself being overcome with the irresistible urge to close his eyes. The next time he opens them, he would wake up to find his realm restored to its former glory... back before everything fell apart. It would be rekindled with vitality as birds and other wondrous creatures as well as beautiful flora from all over the mortal plane breathed life into the dimension that had once become bleak and stagnant. He would see the same table, and the same seats, but this time, all of them seated the respective gods that bore their mark. In fact, there seemed to be more gods than usual, as he could see some gods seated who weren't even part of the council or ones that had perished or faded during the time of the war. And yet despite the beautiful sights and sounds, and the festive atmosphere of gods and goddesses engaged in enthusiastic conversation, they were drowned out by one unmistakably beautiful melody that would have washed away the pain, despair, and worry he felt, and filled it with joy and relief. After scanning the source of that melody, he would come face to face with Ruaka, grinning from ear to ear before he heard him utter the words, "Welcome Home."

Marzena sighed after ensuring that Utos was sound asleep. Creating dreams used to be second nature to her, yet these days, it now takes considerable effort... especially with how elaborate the dream she created for Utos. The funny thing about dreams is that it completely messes up one's perception of time. It isn't uncommon for one to dream of living for an entire lifetime, and wake up realizing only minutes had passed in the real world... Yet in this case, Marzena was thankful for it. For in Utos' final moments, he could live the lifetime he'd always yearned for with the one he loved the most.

"I hope we can meet again someday, old friend. Thank you for everything." After uttering those parting words, the white-haired goddess started towards the direction of the portal and entered it, leaving Utos' realm for the last time.

Marzena was at a loss after she stepped out of the portal. While she had heard about the passing of several of her brethren during her travels, the last time she actually saw one of them die in person was during the fall of Yolan. She thought that she had become desensitized to it by now, but seeing Utos' death brought back memories and emotions that she rather had stayed buried. She would have stayed in that state of shock if not for her stomach grumbling. Then she remembered that Utos had summoned her before she could even have a bite of dinner.

"Guy always had impeccable timing..." She weakly muttered before she decided to raid the kitchen and whip up something to eat. As she was fixing herself a simple sandwich, she was tempted to help herself to some of the unopened wine bottles but ultimately decided against it. Instead, she opted to brew a pot of tea and pour herself a warm cup. Once her meal prep was done, she picked up a copy of 'Chorus of the Nameless' and slumped on a couch near the corner of the room to enjoy her meal and read in peace.

She got tired of reading after a few chapters so she returned the book to its original spot before approaching Cervasis.

"How are you doing, Cervasis? If you're worried about your master's final moments, take heart. I ensured he would pass on as peacefully as possible and that he could spend it enjoying the company of the people he loved most." She explained in a soft voice. Kalpana, who had previously been sleeping peacefully on her head the entire time woke up and cuddled next to Cervasis as if sensing the loss he was feeling and offering what comfort she could.

Interactions: Juju Juju

Last edited:
Barbas Barbas
Nishi flinched at Belgrin’s harsh words and followed his orders without thought or hesitation. Despite their previous claims of discomfort they immediately stopped all movement, scratching included, and remained statue still. Their only movement was their ragged breathing and shivering, both of which intensified the moment Belgrin reached out his hand to inspect the collar.

The collar itself did not look particularly special, forged of what looked to be typical iron. Even the red crystals embedded in it were rough and unpolished. Their brilliant red hue and faint inner glow was a tell-tale sign that they were sanguinite, the Inquisition’s key to power. Each crystal was socketed through the metal, jutting out on both sides of the collar. Their arrangement on the collar was perfectly mirrored by the scarred flesh around Nishi’s neck

At Belgrin’s touch the dull red glow of the sanguinite flared up brightly. Nishi closed their eyes and fought hard to contain a whimper. Both Nishi’s suffering and the bright glow would gradually intensify for as long as Belgrin kept contact with the crystal, and would slowly fade after he released his touch. However, the longer he remained in contact with the crystal the more he would become aware of a tingling sensation in his hand. It was not painful but not comfortable either, and left a distinct numbness.

Zenritch Zenritch
The book that Marzena chose, titled Chorus of the Nameless was nothing more than the written script to an old play that has not been performed in decades. The play’s plot centered on a group of people who woke up in a dark room without any memories. They do not know their names, who they are, or where they are from. As they talk to one another the singers begin to remember who they are, and the dark room transforms into a wondrous landscape. It is interpreted that they simply fabricated their past and personality during the song and that the landscape they find themselves in is nothing but a shared hallucination. Truly an odd and meandering story.

It was returned to rest in its rightful place next to the other two fictional works.

Cervasis kept his eyes closed, pretending to sleep, but his ear flicked back when he heard Marzena mention Utos being put in a dream. The cat didn’t lift his head, but he meowed gruffly in response, seemingly of approval. At least, that's about as much as Marzena would be able to gather. Only Tes-nenet would be able to understand the language of beasts.

The prickly feline was unusually tame towards the cuddles provided by Kalpana. He did offer up a half-hearted growl, but seeing as the white-furred creature did not baulk, Cervasis simply gave up and begrudgingly accepted the sympathetic snuggles. He seemed a little more content after hearing Marzena’s words, but no less depressed.

Solirus Solirus palmtree219 palmtree219
All was quiet and peaceful in the town, making for a relaxing late-night stroll. The inn’s lanterns cast a warm glow against the thin moonlight, drawing in little white moths that pitter-pattered against their glass frames.

As Guardian wandered closer he could better see the entrance to the inn and the carts parked outside of it. The prisoner cart was probably the most unusual resident at the inn, with its iron cage bolted onto the carriage’s frame and sealed shut with a thick padlock.

Two men were locked inside, their hands bound by shackles. One was an old man with a scraggly grey beard like lichen and tattered clothing draped over his thin frame. The other was much younger, with black hair, thick shoulders, and a rough appearance that brought to mind highwaymen and bandits. There was an old bandage wrapped around the young man’s arm, stained a rusty brown from old blood. He was slumped over, sleeping in an uncomfortable position, while the old man hummed a little tune to himself.

A guard wearing the iconic red and black armour of the inquisition sat on a crate next to the prisoner cart, tending to his sword with a whetstone and polishing cloth.

8ff6b7fd77883981ba5b2edfd64374f1854aab27_2_1200x1929.jpeg

Altaqula (Mortal Form)
Goddess Of Water
Interactions: palmtree219 palmtree219 Solirus Solirus

The Golden portal shimmered behind her, and Altaqula moved to a window to allow the rest of her brethren to move in. She was a little jealous admittedly of Utos' dwelling, it was finer than any place she had called home over her years at sea. Though some of his decor was a little ostenatious for her tastes. And a ridiculous amount of books. How many did he read before he died? How many would sit unopened? She shook the thought from her head. More pressing matters. She moved to the sutfy, looking over the map quickly. It seemed standard enough to her, but why did Utos have it. Upon closer inspection all the books seemed factual or historical as well. The man had clearly needed a hobby. Maybe they had hobbies where he was. She moved to the windows to get her bearings while the others rolled in.

"We're not in Ylares," she started as the last of her brethren left the golden gateway, trying to draw attention from it's fading as she did so. "We're in a trading town. Bargha or Ashton maybe, I can't tell from here," She'd been to Ashton once, when negotiating with a merchant about a smuggling price for some live creatures from the wastes. A bad idea, but the money had kept her crew fed for 4 months. Ylares was visible in the distance, the towers and walls a forboding site behind a red glow. Ominous indeed, especially in the aftermath of the quick funeral they'd been forced to partake in.

"Fellows, I shall stroll across the town as a means to understand out surroundings further... and to soothe my sorrow at the one we have lost today."

"Wait, you're not the most inconspic..." was all she managed before Guardian closed the door behind him. If it had been up to her she would'nt have let Guradian leave so quickkly, but her fellow weather God always was a free spirit at heart. There had been a time she'd admired that, now it was just inconvenient. She scowled, then turned back to the assembled. This wasn't exactly a group designed for stealth, or for blending in. Except for a select few...

"Aisyr," She said, turning to the younger God. "I wonder if you might accompany me outside for a walk. Guardian is not the man he once was, no matter how hard he tries to trick himself. Best to get our bearings before any more of the town wakes. This will only become more difficult as the day progresses," She suggested, picking up her cane to steady herself. Her and Aisyr easily passed for mortal in these forms, which is more than could be said for some of their number. "I'd suggest those of you who can't mask your presence well enough to walk unseen remain here. See what supplies Utos may have left of value, or at least try to look more mortal," She suggested, heading out of the door. Truth be told she wanted some time away from the bickering herself, and to maybe get to know some of her younger brethren she had stayed away from for so long.

Stepping out of the door [either alone or with companions], she looked for Guardian with little luck, tracking was never her thing. She settled on a direction and began to walk, attempting to head to one of the town's gates to try and get her bearings.

Aisyr
“This is the last I can do for you… it will take you close to the city. A previous residence of mine. Take anything you need, but do not linger long. I fear the Inquisition may investigate it shortly. Farewell my friends… You too, Cervasis.”

Aisyr took in the surrounding realm, it's reality cracking ever more with each passing moment. As the portal opened, she stepped aside, towards the god of Contracts, allowing Pauper to pass and for her to get a better look at Utos' face. He had accepted his fate, and she had to accept that. A moment to gather herself resulted in her having to essentially wait in line to say her goodbyes, with only Marzena yet to stand.

When her moment came and she stood before Utos, any fancy words she thought to say fled her. Instead, she settled for a warm smile and a pat on the shoulder. As she made contact with him, she focused her energy and thoughts into granting him a small boon. One to lessen pain, in the hopes that she could make his final moments more comfortable, not that she was sure if the boon would even take shape the way she wished, or if it would even take root in her fellow god. As her hand dropped back to her side, she left him with a simple goodbye. "Go in peace, brother."

With one final moment spent memorizing his image, she turned away and followed the others into the portal, giving Marzena a glance as she left.

-----

Her arrival in Utos' old residence was rather sudden, and it took her a moment to gather herself.

"Stop moving, you little wretch.” he snapped. ”I want to take a closer look at your collar, and I can't do that if you keep scratching yourself like a stray mutt infested with fleas." Belgrin's voice cut through the room, drawing her attention. Seeing the little moon fae whimper in pain boiled her blood.

"Belgrin, stop that, you're hurting Nishi." She marched over to the pair. "Here, let me try. I've got a better chance of removing it than you," she stated with glare at the Dominion deity. Focusing on the moon fae, she channeled her inspiring presence to help bolster the creature's will. "I'm going to have to touch the collar for a moment. If it hurts too much, tell me immediately."

With a single finger, she lightly touched the metal of the collar, focusing on the familiar feelings of Freedom within her. Immediately, something felt off as her power was resisted to an absurd degree. Gritting her teeth, Aisyr fought against that resistance, feeling it weaken bit by bit. After a few seconds, she relented, somewhat drained from the recent uses of her power.

"I think we should be able to get it off, but it's going to take a bit more effort," she told Nishi before she felt a presence at her back. Turning, Aisyr's vision was filled by the large form of Guardian who was holding a hand out to her.

"These hold value, but I believe you know their real value more than I do... and I trust you to keep them safe."

"Sure thing Guardian. You can count on me." She held her own hand out, and the larger god gently placed a pouch in it before wandering off towards the bookshelf. The pouch itself felt heavy with coin, and knowing the adventure ahead of them, that coin would likely be needed. Aisyr glanced around the room until her eyes settled on Tes Nenet.

"Granny Tes, could you come over here and deal with this, please?" She gestured vaguely at both Nishi and Belgrin. "I need to count out what Guardian just gave me." Not stopping to see if her words were acknowledged, she wandered to a nearby chair and began looking through the pouch. At least three hundred crowns, not a bad sum at all.

When she finished counting, Aisyr looked back up, only to find Altaqula staring back down at her.

"Aisyr, I wonder if you might accompany me outside for a walk."

The younger goddess' eyes lit up at the offer, but before she could do more than smile, Altaqula continued.

"Guardian is not the man he once was, no matter how hard he tries to trick himself. Best to get our bearings before any more of the town wakes. This will only become more difficult as the day progresses. I'd suggest those of you who can't mask your presence well enough to walk unseen remain here. See what supplies Utos may have left of value, or at least try to look more mortal."

Another quick glance showed her that yes, Guardian was missing. Somehow. And Altaqula was already headed for the door. She jumped up from her seat and followed, waving at the other gods. "Right, we'll be back, gotta go get Guardian." Outside, she caught up to Altaqula and started looking around for their missing companion. "Okay, the big guy shouldn't be that hard to notice." Looking around, the area seemed surprisingly familiar to Aisyr. Or, perhaps unsurprisingly considering how much she has traveled over the centuries. "Huh, I think I know where we are," she mentioned to Altaqula. "This looks like Ashton. I think the inn should be just down the street, and the gates just beyond that. Come on, we should be able to see Ylares from there." She grabbed at the older goddess' hand and began jogging ahead.

Solirus Solirus Barbas Barbas jmann jmann Arai Arai

Last edited:
Guardian

The night sky was beautiful as ever, and the breeze was soft and forgiving. He did not try to clear his mind of his friends passing, Utos's face was still clear in his mind, he did not know what yet to make of it, but he could not and would forget his death. Yet as he walked across the road he heard the soft humming from an elderly man. Guardian's pace increased as he moved closer to the sound, soon finding the warm glow of the tavern, the chaotic but welcoming sound of a chatter from the inn, the thumping of moths pulled by the light, and soon, he heard the sound of a blade sharpening.

Guardian moved his hand towards his blade, but didn't grab it, instead he carefully inspected it. It was rusted and dull, he had stolen it from a bandit and used it to slay said bandit to save a town, but the sword was already beaten up enough, perhaps it deserved a better fate than to be used again. Untying the blade from his waist, Guardian gently placed the blade down on the floor, before resuming his walk towards the sounds. He now arrived to the source of the sound, the sharpening and the humming. The sharpening came from a knight, sharpening their blade and the colors of their armor suggested they were from the inquisition. The ones inside were also cuffed, restricted of movement and freedom, the old man hummed almost appearing unbothered, whilst the younger one appeared wounded and barely cared for.

"Tell me" Guardian spoke to the knight waiting until the knight noticed Guardian's presence, "For what purpose do these two remain restrained and imprisoned?" Guardian seemed curious but was wary, perhaps he could learn more about the inquisition and it's members more.

Juju Juju

Tes-Nenet

Tes-Nenet slowed to a stop once she was inside and collapsed on the nearest soft surface she could find, embroidered couch. The house was highly decorative, the home of a man who rarely left the house. She could appreciate Utos’ taste in furniture, even if she thought his book choices peculiar. She recognised the Thiebean embroidery she sat on, she had spent a number of weeks in Thiebes with a florist near on a century ago. Regardless, her mind could not be distracted from the final goodbye to Utos. Tes-Nenet had few true friends left in this world. She had once thought all the gods her friends in one form or another, but times had changed and she could no longer afford such naivety.

Cervasis had come as well, a miracle in her eyes. The cat looked anxious without their master. She stood and knelt beside them, running her fingers through the cat’s thick fur. She wished she could soothe their mind, even for a moment or two. Losing a loved one was more than any should have to go through with no one to understand you.

Guardian, her most stalwart friend and closest ally for centuries, left soon after landing in Utos’ home. Getting a good lay on the land was a wise idea, though she thought it a shame for him to leave so quickly. She needed a friend to lean on.

Aisyr and Belgrin shook at Nishi’s neck trying to investigate the lock.
“My vines have already braced their neck against the collar, but I haven’t the strength to break it myself. I’m sorry.”

The gods began to help themselves around Utos’ belongings, reading his books and brewing his tea as if they weren’t speaking to him moments ago. Tes-Nenet loathed the idea of taking his things, even if he had suggested it. He was gone, and now there was nobody left to uphold their allegiances.

“Be careful of what you take. We must travel light if we are to reach Jericho in time. Though…” Tes-Nenet stood, a hand lingering on Cervasis to say she’d be back, and approached the map. The roads made little sense to her, in general or on paper. The map had few annotations and fewer comments. As if this was only part of the plan. She checked around room but instead of spotting a clue, Tes-Nenet spotted Aimar, her mood lifting dramatically. She stood and half ran through the cool house towards him. For the longest time she had thought him dead. She had lost contact with him for a long time and could not find hide nor hair of one of her oldest friends.

Tes-Nenet did not hesitate to throw her arms around Aimar and nestle into him. Just the contact was enough. Tes-Nenet let tears form in her eyes. With Aimar, she always felt safe with her emotions.

“I can hardly believe you’re alive,” she croaked, “thank you… my Knight of Roses.”

palmtree219 palmtree219 Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat

Belgrin thought that he was going to have to forcibly restrain Nishi, or possibly even use his power to control it, yet he was pleasantly surprised when the moon fae complied with his demand. It may be nothing more than a flying rat, but at least it was obedient. Either that, or Nishi just had good survival instincts and understood nothing good would happen if it tried to disobey.

Now that Nishi was still, Belgrin leaned in closer toward the moon fae and began his examination. As he expected, the collar itself was not of much interest to him. The it seemed to be well-made, but it was just ordinary iron. The crystals though, were an entirely different matter. Not only did these crystals produce a faint glow, but they also seemed to be the cause of Nishi's discomfort. That was not the only thing Belgrin was able to glean from his brief examination of the collar. From what he can tell by Nishi's increased signs of discomfort, the effects of the collar actually seemed to strengthen whenever he touched one of the crystals, and they would intensify the longer he was in physical contact with them.

"Huh, interesting. Very interesting." Belgrin murmured to himself.

Belgrin was going to continue examining the collar until he suddenly felt something odd. Turning his attention away from Nishi, Belgrin raised his right hand and just stared at it. Despite being so focused on his task, he was still able to notice this feint feeling in it. It was far from being painful, but it also wasn't comfortable, either. These crystals truly are strange things. Even when at such a small size, they were still able to affect him to some extent.

This made him want to resume his examination of the collar but a certain God of freedom decided to interfere before he could do that. It seems like she was bothered by the moon fae's whimpers, and was now angrily marching toward them. It was unfortunate, but also sadly predictable. The only thing that really surprised him was Aisyr thinking that he was trying to remove the collar instead of just studying it.

"Remove it? What made you think that I want to do that?" He said as he stood back and watched as she went over to Nishi. He knew that she was going to try to free Nishi from the collar, and while that was something he did not want to happen, he suspected that her efforts would fail to produce any results.

His suspicion was soon proven to be true, and before he could make any comments, Aisyr called over Tes-Nenet for assistance, who attempted to force open the collar with her vines. Belgrin watched as she did this, and waited until she gave up before speaking. "I doubt any of us have the strength to break it, which is actually quite fortunate. This presents us with an opportunity to study one of the tools of our enemy, and it would be foolish to waste it."

jmann jmann palmtree219 palmtree219 Juju Juju

Ultio was silent once he'd crossed that portal, merely taking in what he saw. So... This was Utos' home? Quite pleasant, he'd perhaps not have minded being here under other circumstances. Almost unbidden, he could already picture dropping by for a chat with Utos. Perhaps they'd discuss the nature of a contract? What makes it binding? What value inherently could be found in a contract? Is it merely within one's word? The means in which one invokes compliance with it?

Perhaps he could've asked about his fellow divines. With Utos having been about the only one Ultio really knew and got along with, there was so much potential to have Utos introduce him to the others. To tell him how his fellows were actually like in comparison to the myths and tales he had to rely upon... Alas, it was far too late to get a gradual introduction to the others. It was simply something he'd have to deal with now, given divine unity may as well be now or never. Whether he knew his fellows, whether he even liked them, all that mattered now was making sure there wouldn't be a knife in his back at the end of this.

Though, given the time... Perhaps such thoughts could wait for now. After all, there were things to do. Supplies to be gathered, plans to be made, mourning to get through. Even as he allowed himself to be lost in thought, the world did not still. Guardian has already rummaged through the house to gather supplies, Marzena had seemingly taken to reading a book in a time like this... Eh, probably useful. Altquala and Aisyr went after Guardian who had left, after the latter got onto Belgrin about seemingly hurting the moon fae creature thing... Whatever it was. Tes-Nenet seemed to be having a reunion with another god... So what should he do in this time?

Well, taking stock of what he could see... Papers, ink and quills were the first notable thing to him. Likely, they'll need to write down a few ideas on how to actually get Jericho out. Maybe even detail supplies they'd actually need. After all, the older ones may see it as absolutely urgent... But well, Ultio thinks they probably have at least a bit of time to plan and get the lay of things. Yolan may have fell in a night, but they don't have that kind of might anymore. It simply can't be an easy thing to free a god from the clutches of the Inquisition. With the utmost care, he'd pluck a few sheets for himself, alongside quill and an inkpot.

Satisfied with his current plan, Ultio began to look around for a spot to seat himself. Sure, he likely could've sat at the desk but... That just would feel wrong. The couch was in use with those around Nishi. That one pillow under a window had Cervasis... Ground it is then. Carefully, he'd set his items down, inkpot first to avoid spilling even a drop. There we go! Perfect spot! He could see just about everything he'd need to see. The door, some bookshelves, why he even had a nice view into the kitchen where he could see... Where he saw... Wine. Bottles of it. Very little thought went through his mind at his next action. After all, there was only one thought on his mind... How refined of a taste did Utos have?

Ultio's gaze simply couldn't be turned from the sight of the bottles. It has been many a year since he last indulged in alcohol. About fifty years ago, actually. The night of Yolan's fall. He still remembers the taste of that, admittedly, shitty ale that had been shoved in his hands that night. To this day, he swears there was actual sulphur to be found within the liquid, but that's neither here nor there. What is here and now, is the bottles that sat pristine and unopened within his sights. Taunting him. Everyone has their own means of mourning, right? Perhaps he could just... Well, I mean... It wouldn't hurt to look, right?

With such flawless reasoning, is it really any surprise that Ultio found himself looking over the bottles of wine, eyeing each label critically. It may have been a long time since he last drank, but is that not also a benefit when it comes to picking a good wine? It merely gets better with age, and thus knowing a good winery from back then would equate to finding a good bottle if the years align. There were, obviously, some newer labels and symbols he's never seen before. Perhaps some wineries have chosen to update the look, or perhaps these are simply new wineries breaking into the business? Not even accounting for any local, homebrewed wines that won't be distributed far yet may win over the tastebuds...

In the end, Ultio would settle upon a bottle from Wolf Water Winery. The name seemed familiar enough, if perhaps a bit uncreative. Symbol was a bit... Weird to him. Maybe it's the mask making the symbol a bit hard to discern honestly. Regardless, Ultio slid it from its spot with one hand as the other reaches for a corkscrew nearby. Now to see if he remembers how to properly uncork a bottle...

After about, five minutes of trying and failing to remove the cork, it'd be pulled free with a VERY satisfying pop. Now the awkward part... Actually drinking it. Sure, he knew there was nothing actually wrong with his face. Neither in godly form, nor human disguise was his face messed up. It's just... He did kind of like remaining faceless save for his mask. It gave him something no one else likely would ever know... With a sigh, Ultio would seat himself back down by the paper, ink, and quill he had procuree. With a toss of his head, he'd flick his hood back to reveal the black fabric attached to his mask that hid his hair and skin. One hand, shakily, pushed back his mask enough to reveal his chin and mouth. Sickly pale skin saw the light in the first time in decades as the bottle was brought to his lips and tilted back.

It was... Not wholly a bad taste, though he did flinch a bit at the initial taste. Certainly a full-bodied wine, given the burn that first assaulted his throat. It reminded him a bit of when he first started to taste test his own poisons. Never really expect it to burn as much as it does going down. The more sips he takes, the more it develops. He'd guess, for example, that the wine was aged in a barrel made from... Pine perhaps? The grapes were quite acidic leading to a somewhat invigorating flavor. By the time he finally sat the bottle down to turn his attention to his original plan, it was already half gone.

"Sho, any ideas for how ta approach this rezcue?" Dip. Dip. Dip... Dip. Dip. Dip. He's just... Dipping the tip of the quill into the inkpot, a very slight sway to his person as he looked towards the others. Perhaps he should've drank a bit more in moderation, instead of a half a bottle after fifty years of not touching a drop? Place your bets, how many bottles till he passes out?

@ Idk anyone who wants to interact, no direct interactions

Solirus Solirus
The sound of whetstone on steel halted at Guardian’s question. The knight placed the stone and cloth to the side, hand tightening around the blade’s grip.

“Should be obvious,” He said, voice gruff and unfriendly beneath the helmet. “Just a cultist and a murderer.”

There came a bitter laugh from within the prisoner cart.

“Muderer? Mighty rich coming from an inquisitor, eh wot?” the old man said indignantly with a scoff, “I may be old, but I remember the innocents you red dogs rounded up and slaughtered like animals.”

He was pressed against the side of the cage, dirty fingers wrapped around the bars. Beady eyes glinted in the dim light, making him look younger than his years should. “A few less rabid dogs is a blessing…”

He might have said more if he wasn’t interrupted by the knight’s fist being slammed against the cage’s side. It made the bars rattle and stirred the sleeping ‘murderer’.

“Shut it!” The knight growled.

“Or wot, you’ll kill me? Before tomorrow’s event, eh? Well go on then, boy.”

Ignoring the old man’s taunts, the knight kept his eye on Guardian. There were many adventurers that passed through at dusk, but most didn’t stop by to ask questions. These days taking even a moderate interest in the contents of an inquisition cart was enough to garner suspicion. Most civilians kept their eyes away and pretended not to notice neighbor and stranger alike being hauled off to their fates.

Adventurers and mercenaries were a bit more bold, so the knight wasn’t too much on edge. Still, his posture was defensive and unwelcoming while his voice matched. “You’ve had your answer, now be off.”

Barbas Barbas palmtree219 palmtree219 jmann jmann
Nishi nodded stiffly in gratitude to Aisyr and Tes-nenet’s attempts to loosen the collar. Of the two, Aisyr’s magic worked to slacken the collar somewhat though it was still held firmly by a circular lock mechanism near the front.

“Thank… thank you…” Nishi said between grit teeth, their eyes screwed shut from pain. Their shivering had increased, yet it no longer could simply be passed off as deeply embedded fear.

Belgrin, who had been observing the collar all this time, would notice that Aisyr and Tes-nenet’s powers had caused the collar to glow harshly once more, only it did not wane this time. The glow was steady now, and was clearly causing Nishi a great deal of stress.

The pillow they sat on was covered in a fine layer of frost as their shivering heightened. A few whines escaped from them and icy tears welled up in their shut eyes. Still, they refused to move or openly cry out of force of will, or perhaps experience. With wings sagged down they swayed from side to side weakly. Their breaths were ragged and strained and it looked like they were close to collapsing.

palmtree219 palmtree219 Arai Arai
The night air was mild and inviting, stirred only by a gentle breeze that made the trees in hidden courtyards sigh. Unlike Utos' realm the wind was lush with the scent of night flowers and mortal life. It was abundant and alive, wholly unaware of the tragic fate of one of its creators. The world breathed onward, peace unhindered. Perhaps such knowledge was comforting, or a source of new pain.

Altaqula and Aisyr indeed walked in the direction of the western gate, one that faced the ruby glow of Ylares. The town's main path ran straight past the major facilities, including the inn. Afterall, such a place of convenience was sure to draw in weary travellers on their way to The Red City, or otherwise tempt them to stay an extra night.

It appeared to both seasoned travellers that the trek to Ylares would take less than half a day for a mortal on foot, and less time by carriage or horse. The path leading to the city was paved in worn stones and well lit with lanterns at regular intervals. It was wide enough for two horse wagons to pass by eachother easily.

Of course, as the two neared the gate they would hear a tense conversation near the Inn and the sound of metal slamming into metal along with a sharp “Shut it!” (read soli's section for more info lol)

Guardian

The unfriendliness of the knight's voice was clear, as did the response itself feeling rather insulting too. How was Guardian supposed to know one was a murderer and the other a cultist, nothing from their appearance or mannerisms could suggest such a thing. Yet the knight had answered Guardian's question even when he had not been forced to and now that selfsame knight wanted for Guardian to be off.

He paid no mind to the knight's request, Guardian wished to stay a while longer and question the old man, "I am curious to know, what do you refer to when you claim, the innocents that were rounded up and slaughtered?" His question was blunt and seemingly aggravated the knight whom drew his blade and threatened Guardian to leave. At such an action Guardian turned to face the knight, "I shall leave when this man has answered my question" Simply then, Guardian moved his head back to face the cultist, yet he was aware of the circumstance and prepared himself to defend should the knight act with violence.

Juju Juju

Belgrin, who had been observing the collar all this time, would notice that Aisyr and Tes-nenet’s powers had caused the collar to glow harshly once more, only it did not wane this time. The glow was steady now, and was clearly causing Nishi a great deal of stress.
Severed Heaven

The war-god examines the collar with a scowl. It was responding to their divinity, it seemed, and only causing Nishi more pain. He didn't want to entertain thought that it would merely inflict pain on her, rather than possibly kill her. And that they couldn't allow. He looks to Bari ( SirDerpingtonIV SirDerpingtonIV ), looking to the old Forge-God with some level of expectation, before he speaks up. If anyone could figure out the workings of this device, it would be him.

"Could you examine the collar? I would cut it off myself, but I can't be sure it won't kill her if I do so."

Altaqula (Mortal Form)
Goddess Of Water

In times passed, Altaqula would've...struggled...to be around Aisyr. A God with so much enthusiasm for her domain that she practically embodied it, Altaqula had sworn off the idea of representing her domain, as her original form had been nothing but wrath and ruin. But now she found her nature almost endearing, like she had adapted to the new world they lived in. Altaqula found it frustrtating that some refused to move with the times, but it appeared Aisyr had no problem embracing the free spritited life of a mortal. The roads were still quiet, thankfully, and it was nice to have a little bit of peace and quiet.

"Huh, I think I know where we are,"

"Oh? I had an idea but struggled to narrow it down. What do you think?"

"This looks like Ashton. I think the inn should be just down the street, and the gates just beyond that. Come on, we should be able to see Ylares from there."

Altaqula nodded, and at the taking of her hand and spurring her into jogging, she smiled. Her leg was already screaming in protest as she clutched the cane in her hand, but the exhilieration and ability to pretend for a few moments that everything was fine was worth it. Ashton was indeed a beautiful town, which seemed almost unfair considering the conversation untaken but an hour ago, but it filled Altaqula with hope that the world would continue to spin without them. As the headed down the main path towards the inn and the Western Gate, things began to become more lievely, and Altaqula forcefully slowed Aisyr to a brisk walk. "I'd rather avoid undue attention dear," She said, wincing at how much she sounded like an old woman now. The few lategoers who had seen them paid them no mind as they continued to the Gate.

As the two closed on the Western Gate, unflinching Stone and careful craftsmanship, they looked out toward Ylares. Altaqula looked to the stable, then to the path, relativley well kept and lit. There would be little danger on it aside from what they bring with them. Coin for wagons however would be tougher. One wagon could likely comfortably hold 6 to 8 of their group, driver included. Any more than that and the costs were likely to mount. She voiced her concerns to Aisyr. "Given Utos had enough Gold for it, we could charter a wagon or 2. We can walk, but I don't think Guardian or Belgrin would get there before sundown," She half-jokingly admitted. "Perhaps you have some thoughts?"

As the two spoke, the sound of metal hitting metal made her flinch, along with the shout of a guard. For a split second, she thought it was directed at herself, but noticed a large cage containing 2 indivudals, and a knight seemingly guarding it. It was tough to make out their crimes from what she had heard, but it sounded like the punishment was murder. More interesting to her was the man in rusted armour and a tattered cloak. As she looked on, she noted the knight was gripping his blade to draw. Guardian's body language suggested that the conversation was going to quickly come to blows if they weren't careful.

"I think this is the point we interverne," She admitted to her companion, then leaned heavy on her cane. "Follow my lead," she started, and began to walk forward, emphasising a limp that may or may not have existed prior. Guardian had turned away from the Knight, whose face was growing less and less tolerant of Guardian by the second. "Oh thank the stars," She called loudly, intentionally choosing a phrase common among the sailors. When the world outlaws God, you have to find other things to thank when things go well. Sailors chose the lights they navigated by. She missed the sea already. She addressed the Knight, looking somewhat exasperated. "I hope my husband isn't causing you trouble sir, he has a tendency to wander at night. My..." she looked back at Aiysr quickly.

Sister? Altaqula, you're old. Get over it.
Guard? Why did a man in full plate need a guard?
Friend? Impersonal, and would invite more questions.

"...daughter and I have been looking all over town for him," She decided, wincing inside. She was sure she'd be receving words from both of them after this.

Aisyr
The crowd became thicker as the pair approached the Western Gate. Around this same time, Aisyr felt a tug on her hand, which slowed her down to a brisk walk. She turned to send a questioning look at the other god. "I'd rather avoid undue attention, dear," the god supplied. Aisyr nodded in response and went back to leading Altaqula towards the gate. A few minutes later, Altaqula spoke up again while drawing her attention towards the stables. "Given Utos had enough gold for it, we could charter a wagon or two. We can walk, but I don't think Guardian or Belgrin would get there before sundown. Perhaps you have some thoughts?"

"Hmm... You're probably right. Not to mention Bari. He didn't seem to be in great shape when he dropped in for the meeting." Another thought came to Aisyr a moment later. "Oh! If we have a cart, we could pretend to be merchants," she half shouted in excitement before she realized she should keep the conversation a bit more quiet. "We'll need goods to sell. And supplies. Definitely supplies. Food, water, camping materials. It's a short trip to Ylares, but it would look weird if we didn't have anything like that-"

The sound of metal hitting metal drew Aisyr's attention from her companion and towards the inn. Just outside, Guardian stood near a knight and a cage. When she saw two people locked inside, she felt herself start to get worked up. "I think this is the point we intervene," her companion stated, garnering hearty nod from the deity of Freedom. "Follow my lead." Altaqula walked towards the altercation, now limping with a heavy lean on her cane. Aisyr let her gain a few feet of lead while she took a calming breath.

"Oh thank the stars! I hope my husband isn't causing you trouble sir, he has a tendency to wander at night. My daughter," she gestured towards Aisyr, who had just caught back up to her side, "and I have been looking all over town for him." Aisyr's first response was to blink uncomprehendingly at the goddess of water, but to her credit, she quickly recovered, slipping her arm into the crook of her "mother's" free arm.

"Mother, please be careful, your shouldn't put so much stress on your leg." She looked towards Guardian, then the knight. "Father," she emphasized, hoping Guardian would catch on. "You didn't do anything to Sir Knight, did you," she asked, playing up her role as the annoyed daughter. She shook her head while adopting a look of exasperation. "Come over here and help. I think mother's leg is acting up again."

Arai Arai Solirus Solirus

The war-god examines the collar with a scowl. It was responding to their divinity, it seemed, and only causing Nishi more pain. He didn't want to entertain thought that it would merely inflict pain on her, rather than possibly kill her. And that they couldn't allow. He looks to Bari ( SirDerpingtonIV SirDerpingtonIV ), looking to the old Forge-God with some level of expectation, before he speaks up. If anyone could figure out the workings of this device, it would be him.

"Could you examine the collar? I would cut it off myself, but I can't be sure it won't kill her if I do so."
(Derp has become rather busy and it is uncertain if he will be returning. For the time being he has given me permission to puppet Bari.)
Bari was slumped against a wall and appeared to have drifted off into a brief slumber. He stirred when he was spoken to by Severed Heaven, his head raising sluggishly. The metal-strewn husk of a god let out a ragged coughing fit, which took an uncomfortably long time to subside before he could talk once again.

"Bring it here..." he croaked hoarsely, wheezing in between. "Tools.... I will need tools..."

Even a quick look around Utos' living quarters would make it clear that although he was an avid consumer of literature (and perhaps needed more hobbies, as Altaqula pointed out) he was by no means a crafter of any sort. Fine tools needed for Bari's work would not be found here. Perhaps there could be somewhere in town that held such things, such as a smithy or a stable.

Solirus Solirus Arai Arai palmtree219 palmtree219
"Perhaps you need a reminder!" The guard growled, raising his arms to strike Guardian with the hilt of his sword.

Fortunately for him, that was just at the moment Altaqula and Aisyr came to diffuse the situation. The knight still held his sword aloft, but eyed the supposed 'wife' and 'daughter'. Normally, this might not have worked but it seemed the knight was interested in hearing what the family had to say. He could see that Altaqula wore a fine garb, one suitable for travel and yet lavish enough for him to wonder if she could be some lady or influential merchant. It was enough to give him pause, but that was perhaps all that was needed.

The knight lowered his sword, though kept his hand firmly on its hilt. Most of all, he seemed confused, caught off guard, and perhaps a little awkward "Husband? Well Miss you had best tell your husband to back away from the cart before I have to add him to it. These are cultists who worship forsaken idols. I suggest he avoid talking to them in the future... many would not be so forgiving..."

The old man shook the bars of the prisoner cart, "Spare the hypocrisy. He should know the truth about all the poor beggars you dogs rounded up and executed. There were chil-"

He was cut off promptly by the guard punching his gauntlet straight into the old man's face, making him stumble back with a cry of pain. Blood fell from between the hands that now cradled his nose.

"I warned you..." the guard snarled, his gauntlet now wet with the man's blood, "It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't poisoned them with your lies..."

One of the windows above the tavern lit up with flickering candelight.

Guardian

The arrival of Aisyr and Altaqula was of surprise to Guardian. He wasn't sure why they had even bothered coming here, yet the words they spoke were masked with deception, to trick the inquisitor before them. Had they arrived in fear of what might happen to him, or were they afraid that he would become a problem for everyone else? The thoughts raced through his mind, but his focus was wavering as the knight was tricked and the old man spoke up only to be interrupted by the knight's assault.

Blood splattered onto knight's fist as Guardian heard the old man's bones crack. It had been a long time since he'd so clearly heard the sounds of violence. The situation was unstable and would deteriorate rapidly, it would be best if he played along and left the premises with Altaqula and Aisyr. However, he couldn't simply leave the old man behind, his actions led to the old man being attacked. But the old man had never asked for his protection so he was under no obligation to defend him. These thoughts stirred within Guardian, inner clashing storms that shook his weakened foundation and at the very depths, imprisoned and suppressed was his rage. Such storms created a small crack in the prison, a rift which guided his action.

"Stop!" Guardian stepped forth, grabbing the knights wrist, his voice carrying a tiny drop of anger.

The Reaper
Interactions: Nishi
1685579487085.png
The Reaper had been quiet after his arrival, presumably either lost in thought or mourning. The old god made no attempt to speak, nor explore his surrondings. Grimm had briefly examined the location around him, noting in brief approval and a not-so well-hidden sense of grief. He had retrieved some object from his robes, and was now writing something into it. Should one glance over his shoulder, they would see a list of names, some of them crossed out, some of them written in fading ink. The legends of the Reaper's journal was not mere memory and confabulation.

Death hummed slightly as they worked, now shifting their position to relax (or as much as he could) against one of the walls. He hadn't spoken this entire time, although the Reaper did examine the location briefly, more specifically looking for graveyards or any hospital of a sort. Then again, the eerie death god was hardly capable of blending in with ease. There was always the sensation of loss, of endings that hung around Grimm, not to mention his literal bone-chilling touch. "Oh dear..."

His grim duty done, the Reaper rasped a quiet sigh before dropping the journal back within his dark robes, examining the room around him with a strange form of exhaustion(if a god was capable of such a thing). He had no interest in wandering outside for social interactions(and given his disposition, that was hardly surprising. As much as he loved mortals, scaring them wasn't something he enjoyed). Instead, Death turned his attention to the fey, advancing slowly in an attempt not to scare them. "May I..?" He inquired, reaching out one black gloved hand for the collar. He wasn't here for their soul(well, not yet anyways).

Last edited:
"Stop!" Guardian stepped forth, grabbing the knights wrist, his voice carrying a tiny drop of anger.
Solirus Solirus Arai Arai palmtree219 palmtree219
"I told you-" The guard shouted, his sword flashing in the lantern light of the inn. "To buggar off!"

He swung the blade at Guardian with one hand while he ripped the other from Guardian's grasp. It would seem that after a generous amount of warnings, the knight's patience was at its end. It also seemed that although he had hesitated to punish the supposedly 'troubled husband' when the daughter and wife arrived he no longer had any qualms once Guardian had laid a hand on him.

Barking erupted nearby, followed by the sound of footsteps and swearing. A large black dog with shaggy fur and a ruby-red collar was the first to arrive. It ran through the entrance gates to the inn's stable yard and wasted no time in closing the gap between itself and guardian. Leaping up, it bit at Guardian's arm and hung on.

Further down the road, two armed inquisition guards were rushing down the road towards the inn, their one red lantern bobbing up and down wildly with their steps. They would be arriving in a matter of seconds, though their rushed arrival meant that the three gods could possibly catch them by surprise.
"May I..?" He inquired, reaching out one black gloved hand for the collar. He wasn't here for their soul(well, not yet anyways).
Sunsmiter Sunsmiter jmann jmann Barbas Barbas ThatWhichShouldBe ThatWhichShouldBe seasonedcat seasonedcat
Nishi's eyes were hazy and unfocussed as they turned towards the voice of the reaper. "I...."

With that single utterance, they collapsed to the side, wings splayed out like a dead bird. Thankfully, the rise and fall of their fluffy chest meant that they had simply fallen into a state of unconsciousness.

The Sanguinite crystals embedded in Nishi's collar glowed ominously at the approach of Reaper's hand, pulsating with light as if beating from some unseen heart. Any amount of godly power clearly caused the gems to glow brightly, and any divine tricks did nothing to break the shackles. However, the collar itself looked to be made of common iron and could likely be destroyed by the right tools.

Aisyr
All of a sudden, things began moving fast, almost too fast. Aisyr's world felt as though it slowed ever so slightly, analyzing the situation as centuries, if not millennia, of adventuring experience flowed through her mind. Calculations - environment, objective, combatants, non-combatants, timings - each was considered as she developed a strategy. She gave herself a mental nod - her plan would work. Guardian would be fine with just the one knight and his hound, but if the others got involved too quickly, it would put the prisoners in danger. With a mental shrug, she went for it, unhooking her arm from Altaqula's. A quick step to the side put her behind Guardian's considerable bulk at right about the same moment the dog reached him. A second step put her next to the cage, easily within reach of the padlock. A heartbeat and a light tap filled with divine power later and the padlock was undone.

"Go, get out of here!" Aisyr gestured to the pair inside to run, trusting them to open the cage itself. Her master plan complete, she turned to Altaqula with a thumbs-up. "Alright mom, do your thing!"

Solirus Solirus Arai Arai

Altaqula (Mortal Form)
Goddess Of Water

With her history in this world, Altaqula was plenty familiar with the actions of the Knight in question, likely more so than Guardian. This was a battle already lost, and killing one guard in a stinking through-town wasn't going to make a difference. Maybe it would to this prisoner's life, but judging from his actions and attitude already, he would be back in chains within the week. She winced as the man mentioned the rounding up of children. It was something she had been vaguely aware of, but had pushed back to the deepest trenches of her mind to avoid thinking about. The Knight seemed to blame the old man though, so Gods knew who was truly at fault here. Actually, Gods didn't. That was part of the problem. And it was when Guardian grabbed the Knight's wrist that Altaqula knew that the outcome was decided.

As things escalted, Altaqula took a moment to take stock, leaning not on her divine experience, but her mortal earned ones. One guard in front. Even in his current state, Guardian must have beleived he could take the man in a fight, else he wouldn't have picked one. 1 Dog. Unexpected, big and mean, and clearly belonging to more guards at the very least. But it was a dog at the end of the day, and dogs don't wear armour. And two more guards running down toward them. Likely armored, but they would have to identify the culprit. There was a chance if they dispatched their foes they would be able to flee before backup's arrival. It was a winnable fight, but an uneccesary one.

She watched as Aisyr freed the prisoners, themselves moving to leave the cage. The girl seemed to be expecting Altaqula to do something, but without a large body of water she was limited in her capabilities. For now, she needed to delay the incoming guards to give Guardian chance to dispatch his foes. Inhaling deeply, she blew out a deep thick fog, directing the water to cool and form thick and fluffy clouds in the morning streets. It would buy them some time at the very least.

Examining the collar, the Reaper held Nishi with surprising tenderness, even if his hand felt skeletal underneath the dark gloves, and his grip was eternally cold. He held them with gently, as if one errant move could prove fatal. And given the fact he was the god of death, it wasn't entirely unsurprisingly that he wanted to take no chances. Tapping upon the collar, Grimm hummed thoughtfully for a moment.
"Bari. ( SirDerpingtonIV SirDerpingtonIV ). Can you remove it? My powers extend to the dead, and I'd rather not kill them if I can."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back