• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

One x One A Visit From Fate

Main
Here
Characters
Here

Parrot Parfait

A dude eclectus parrot
Roleplay Type(s)

Two visitations at the same time is unusual, but no matter, after resting up a bit and making some new treats, I'm ready to receive my next guest. We'll see how interesting this meeting turns out to be.

The young woman's steps make muffled sounds in the desolate stone hall of the castle. In contrast to her surroundings, the girl looks like she could have wandered off any laid-back college campus circa 2000 -- her blonde hair tied half-back in a ponytail, her clothes a deep purple tracksuit jacket over a pair of lime green sweatpants, in an affront to the fashion sensibilities of both the era and the world at large. Beneath one arm, she is carrying a standard USPS carboard box.

"Master!" she yells, cupping the other hand in front of her mouth. "There was a man at the gate with a box for you!" She comes across a set of wooden double doors and bangs on them. "Hey, Master!"

She turns around to continue her search for more doors to yell at, and as she does so, she notices one in the hall that she hasn't noticed before. It doesn't look like it belongs in the castle. It looks more modern, as though it is the door to an office or apartment.

The young woman approaches it, and stops. Maybe it's a trap. Caster could make something like this, right?

No, wait a minute -- I'm Caster!!

She shrugs. Maybe her master just has a different door for her study, or something. The woman raps her knuckles against the strange door. "Hey, Master, are you in here?"

As I wait on one of the wooden stools, I sense that the visitor is at the door. The knob rattles as she tries to open the door.

"I'll be right with you!" I yell as a leap up from my seat. It only takes a few moments before I'm right before the door. I open the door slightly and peer out. "Oh, hello! You must be the new guest."

"What the --" The young woman recoils at the man's face looking over the edge of the door. The package almost slips out from under her arm, but she catches it in time, and steadies herself.

She has never before seen this person. "I'm not the guest," she accuses. "You're the guest! How did you get inside the castle?"

The lady's surprise gives me a little bit of shock as well, but I cough a bit and tell her, "Err... how should I explain this?" I pause for a moment before continuing, "I'm an interndimensional traveller of sorts, and somehow, my door landed here in this castle to meet my next guest, and apparently, that would be you." I watch her response before I say anything else.

Her eyes narrow in suspicion. Her immediate thought is that this is some kind of enemy who has figured out how to breach their defenses. But the man doesn't smell like a magus -- or anything like the Grail, for that matter. Something about him is...different.

"I guess that makes two of us," she says. "I still don't know who you are, though." Something occurs to her, and she holds out the cardboard box, which is labeled KEEP REFRIGERATED in black marker. "Er -- if you're here, you weren't the one who ordered this, were you?"

"Uhh..." I mumble looking at the package, "That's not mine, or at least, I don't think it is. It's probably for whoever lives here." I pause for a moment, "So... As for why I'm here. I'm just here to have a chat with someone across the multiverse. You're the third person I chatted with so far, actually. It's actually a bit awkward considering that the door appears at what seems to be inconvenient times. Anywho, would you like to come inside and chat? I can guarantee that any time wasted while inside here will be refunded. Or in other words, I can send you back to the exact point where the door closes, meaning no time has passed at all."

The young woman listens to his explanation, blinking. The moment he says "come inside", she starts straining to look over his shoulder through the door into the room, standing on her toes as needed. As he finishes talking, she glances back down at the box for a brief second, then back up towards the door.

"Well, sure," she answers. "It's not like I have anything to do anyway, since my Master's not yelling back at me," she finished in a mumble. "So are you going to let me in?"

With the invitation, she walks straight past the man into the room, not bothering to hide her curiosity. Her eyes scan over the clean white walls, the soft couch, the stairs to the loft. She throws the package onto the small coffee table with hardly a glance as she charges past. Just a second later, as she reaches the other end of the room, she suddenly stops and stands back.

Without her reaching anywhere or seeming to take it out from anyplace, a brightly colored magazine materializes in the young woman's hands. She quickly flips through to a particular page. Once she finds what she wants, she folds the rest of the magazine behind and holds it up in front of her, glancing back and forth, comparing the room she's just entered to the glossy photographs.

But whatever she finds seems to be unsatisfactory. The magazine vanishes as quickly as it appeared. The young woman then allows herself to sit on the couch, and immediately starts tearing at the cardboard box she tossed onto the table a moment ago.

When the woman enters the room, I close the door behind me before walking into the room. I take a glance at the woman for a moment when she materializes a magazine out of thin air. I look in wonderment before remembering what I was going to do. "For snacks, I made some shortbread cookies." I open one of the cupboards to reveal a plate with some cookies on them. They don't look particularly fancy, but they sure do taste good. My family ended up eating a lot of them before I could properly store them in this space.
20210219_195253.jpg
"And to go-" I stop mid-sentence when I hear the rustling of a cardboard box being open. I turn around, partially out of confusion as to why she was opening the package and curiousity over what's in the box.

"Snacks?" The word piques her interest; but she only stops momentarily. The man says he is getting cookies, but they are not yet in front of her, so she goes back to the box.

She senses that the man has started to watch her. "If it's for whoever lives in the castle," she says by way of explanation, "then it's for me. So I get to open it."

Tearing through the tape at the seams, she finally gets through the cardboard. Inside the nondescript package is another, prettier box, colored soft pink. There is a note on the top. The young woman lifts the pink box out of its shell, then picks it up the card and glances it over. It is impossible to read anything on her face. "I think it's food," she says eventually, as she sets the note aside face-down and opens up the pink box.
battenberg.jpg
Inspecting the item in the box, which looks none the worse for wear for having been tossed around, she frowns. "Is it food? I can't tell. It's covered in something. Why does everything in this time come covered in something else?"

"Apparently, it keeps the food fresher. Though, I can't say that our methods are good for nature," I say that as I scratch my head. I bring down the cookies and set them beside the box before returning to the counter. "What would like like for a drink?" I ask as I place a kettle onto the stove. "At the moment, I have earl grey, green tea, coffee, chamomile, and a few others I think. Though, if you have specific requests, I can check the cupboards to see if I have it."

Her eyes immediately snap on the cookies as the plate clinks on the table next to her. She picks one up and takes a bite. It is sweet and buttery, like pie crust. She stuffs the rest of the cookie in her mouth and picks up another.

"Uh --" She doesn't know what to answer when the man asks her what she wants to drink. She doesn't like coffee, but she's never had tea of any color, and she doesn't know what the two other things are. "Do you have something sweet?" she asks through a mouth half-full of shortbread. "I'll take whatever if you have it."

"Ah, then I'll make a milk tea," I reply before heading for the fridge. As I'm taking out the container of sweetened condensed milk, I ask a question. "So, who are you exactly? From what I've heard about your universe, I believe your kind is somehow... related to the historical figures of our world. Is that true?"

She is in the midst of finally unwrapping the cake that came from the pink box. "If what you mean by 'my kind' is -- I'm a Servant, yeah," she says warily. She swallows the rest of the shortbread. "Hey, how much do you know about me anyway?" she demands with a sudden furor.

Of course an enemy would try something like this to get my identity -- assuming my father didn't tell everybody else already!

"You don't smell anything like the Grail, so I didn't think you were playing dumb," she continues. "I even wondered if you were a sal, uh, a celebrity who got caught up in something, but this room is too plain for you to be one of those, isn't it?"

Last edited:
"I'm not a celebrity. Actually, quite far from it. I'm just an average man from my world, arguably a bit bored at the moment," The tea begins to boil, prompting me to take out the tea bag and cup. "As for how much I know about you, arguably, I don't know much to be honest. In my world, there's actually quite a bit of documentation on the conflict surrounding this world's holy grail, but I haven't taken a look into it nor intend to in the future." By the time I finish my statement, I've already put the tea bag in the cup and poured in the hot water.

His unfazed response calms the young woman down, as well, as quickly as she had gotten worked up. "Oh," she says. "An average man." She pauses. "You know, that sounds nice."

When he talks about knowing the barest outline of the war that she was sent to fight in, she straightens her shoulders, almost unconsciously. The sweets on the table are forgotten for the moment being. "Then don't. It won't do you any good to get involved in it," she says. Her voice is deeper and sterner. Despite the appearance of a careless girl in sweats, there is the shred of something regal, though her language remains as casual as before. "The Grail of 'this world', as you put it, is business for people who are fine with dying for it. You have to be desperate, really bored, or both. Which explains why there are more than a few losers running around for it right now."

"Lol," I chuckle, "That's sounds about right. Now that I think of it, having a holy grail kinda misses the point in the faith it's apparently tied to, but I guess the rules tend to differ when were talking about alternate realities. Now that I think about it, what's the history behind the holy grail of your world and what does it do? I'm a bit curious to see the differences between the grail of my world and the grail of your world."

She tilts her head. "You decided to think about a lot," she says. "Uhh..." Her good posture lost, she looks down into her lap and takes another cookie, chewing thoughtfully. "The faith it's tied to...you're talking about the holy grail from Christ, right?" She at least has the context of having been born into Christendom, though whether she was raised to respect it is a different question with a complex answer. "That was the first, or it's more like what it was named after. They're not the same thing. I think."

The young woman looks towards the man, setting her elbows on her knees. "So, in my time, there were a lot of people looking for that grail, like even King Ar -- err, kings and everything, right? Because it was a relic that was supposed to have magical power. The one I'm talking about is a relic that definitely has magical power. Uh, I don't really know how it works, but if you can defeat everybody else and get your hands on it, you can ask it -- or use it, I don't really know -- to grant your wish." She folds her arms across her abdomen. Her right hand starts fiddling with something beneath her jacket, as though she has a belt or cord around her waist. "The Grail wants people fighting for it. If a magus in this time wants a wish, they can try to summon a Servant to help them. That's what you need to be part of the War in the first place. And if the time is right, the Grail itself will send them somebody...so long as they want a wish enough, too." As she raises her arms to stretch, her track jacket hikes up enough to reveal that there is indeed a thin leather belt around her waist, but only somebody with prying eyes would catch the knife holstered at the small of her back before her arms fall back down.

"So that's how I got here," she finishes.

"Huh," I respond as she finishes. By that time, the tea is done, so as I take out the bag and put in the sweetened condense milk, I comment on the grail, "Hmm... that doesn't sound holy at all. In fact, the whole baiting people for a wish seems kinda demonic." By the time I'm done speaking, I place the cup of earl grey milk tea in front of her. It's nothing special, but it sure does taste good.
20210220_085648.jpg
"Are you sure it's something worth fighting for? And how do you know it'll actually grant the wish? I'm not quite sure about it, but those shenanigans are the types of things a demonic entity would do, minus the whole teleportation business and magic."

The mug he sets in front of her is hot. She stares at it for a minute, watching the steam rise, before she takes it into her hands.

"Am I sure it's worth fighting for? Do I know it'll actually grant the wish?" she asks with a frown. "No. How would I know that? There's nothing else like it in the entire world. I mean, if you were a huge magical cup, wouldn't you try to get people to fight to prove themselves worthy, instead of just throwing out wishes? That's totally what I would do." She takes a sip from the mug. The drink is very hot and she cannot yet tell how it tastes. "From my view, you don't know until you actually get to it. And I'm fine with that. Though from the way you're talking, you sound kind of like the guy who got to it last time, and he couldn't get a proper wish."

Well aware that she has probably already said too much, she decides to barrel onward. "I mean, my Master's already thought about this. We're supposed to get a hold of that guy to ask him what happened last time with the Grail. If Avenger and her Master ever actually decide to do something useful, that is." Taking another sip of tea, she can taste it this time, though it mostly tastes like milk. "So we'll get him to talk, and if there's something demonic about it, we'll figure out how to deal with it. Or maybe there isn't, and he's just a wuss."

I shrug. "A wish is a heavy burden with far reaching consequences. If this grail has reality altering powers... which it actually does, I'm fairly certain that causality will be pain in the butt to deal with." I take a moment to reflect what I just said and shrug again. "Anyways, I probably wouldn't make a wish or want. It kinda gets in the way of what life is really about, or at least, in my vague interpretations." I grab a stool from underneath the table and sit on top of it. "Now that I've asked you questions, you have any questions for me? I'm pretty sure you have a few considering my door landed straight into the middle of your castle."

"It's not my castle," she answers automatically, and then her eyes land back on the cake from the pink box as she sets down her tea. "Er -- well, you said your things yourself, didn't you? You're from another dimension, so shouldn't you worry about this --" she waves her hand in an arc over her head -- "messing things up, before you worry about a wish doing it?"

Even though she inspected the room when she first came in, she looks over it again, paying attention the large screen and the appliances in the kitchenette. "Well...what year is it in your dimension? And where do you live? The things here look enough like the modern things my Master has, but they still look kind of different. It's hard for me to tell."

"In my dimension, it's currently 2021, and I currently live in the sunny state of California, if you know where that is," I smile, "as for messing things up, I've taken careful steps to make sure I create as little impact as possible when I'm looking into other dimensions. If I must mention, this body of mine is not my real body. It's just a tool for a means of communicating with you. Same with this room. It technically doesn't exist." I lift my hands towards the interior of the room, "It is in this sandbox that I worry not," I pause a little, "Or at least, worry not as much about the consequences of my actions. Oh, by the way, depending on how the internal rules of your dimension work, the you right now will cease to exist, or in other words, the timeline will be corrected to completely erase my presence, and you will go on as if you had never met me or my door."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back