• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern A Touch of Death

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

RageOfInfinity

Improbability is a bad reason to disbelieve
Lucius had been going through his day, like every other. He drove to work, completed that work, joked with his coworkers... and lived. What he didn't know was that he had a malignant tumor, which had become a cancer, several months before. He had been diagnosed with an Ulcer the year before, so as the pain grew, he never went to the doctor to check on it. This was his fatal mistake, and unbeknownst to him, he would not survive the day.

But it wouldn't be the Tumor that killed him...

Celestiel Celestiel

Last edited:
Usually, when humans imagined Death, they either imagined it as an event or as a skeleton, clothed in a black robe and swinging a scythe.
That however hadn't been the case anymore for about one and a half centuries, ever since Death's daughter had taken on the family business.
She was no skeleton, no, quite the contrary, actually;
She appeared to be a young woman, somewhere in her early twenties, with jet black, wavy hair, gentle, deep brown eyes and the complexion of a porcelain doll.
She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.
She was, after all, death.

Eva's deep brown eyes opened at the familiar, stinging sensation in her stomach that told her someone was about to die.
She sat up in her black canopy bed with the dark red sheets, with a tired look on her face.
Being death really was a full-time job...

Lucius was driving home on the freeway, listening to the song, "Shepherd of Fire" by Avenged Sevenfold, when the music mysteriously changed to "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult. "What the fuck?" Lucius said softly to himself, as he began to fiddle with the dial. The music would not change, which was the first sign that something of a supernatural nature was happening, now. Then, he suddenly began to experience a great pain in his gut, which completely swallowed his attention, causing him to careen to the left and to the right of the road, until he crashed, full-force, into a semi in front of him...

Then time seemed to stop... just before a rail would have pierced Lucius' forehead.

As always, Eva had teleported to where the deceased' soul would appear in the passage realm.
As souls weren't exactly part of the mortal world and neither a part of the immortal realm, but floating in between, in the passage realm, waiting, she usually didn't have to bother going to the mortal world.but this time, something was different.
The life clock of the person, a simple hourglass made of oak, certainly nothing too special, appeared in her left hand and made her frown.
The life clocks resembled their person's personality, and though this one wasn't one that would have caught her eye at first sightz it appeared to be so beautiful, looking closer.
The sand was a beautiful silver, shimmering like the stars reflecting on a still lake.

The way it seemed simple, humble on the outside but enchantingly beautiful on the inside, made Eva hesitate.
She had never seen something quite like this.
Somehow, her entire self longed to know the person this fascinating hourglass belonged to, craved it so violently it was irresistible.

Not wasting a second thought, Death teleported once more, from the 0assage realm to the human world, just in time to see it happening.
Those odd... Horseless carriages were having a horrible accident.
This soul needed to live! She needed to know it!
"No!", she shouted, and time stopped right there and then.
Eva didn't hesitate to free the man she didn't know from her time freeze and break the door of the odd carriage open.
"Come out, I can't hold this for long!", she called stressedly, her black gown, probably from the late middle ages, around the 14th century, making her look completely out of place.
"Hurry!"

Lucius didn't know what was happening. He had felt the jolt of the car hitting the Semi, he had felt the pain in his gut, and he had heard the random noises around him, the chaos... but it had all stopped. "I repeat... WHAT THE FUCK?!" he turned his head to the right, to see the oddly-dressed woman, frantic, literally rip his car's door off. "Come out, I can't hold this for long!" she shouted at him, "hurry!" While, later, he would wish he hadn't had to be told, twice... it would have helped, in the moment. He had stood there, gaping at her and stuttering without making a sound, then he stepped out of the vehicle (after fumbling with his seatbelt), he looked around him at time, being frozen, then he saw, from the outside, the carnage already taking place with his vehicle.

Eva sighed softly as the man finally was out of the vehicle, and made time pass on normally again after making sure they were both safely on the grass verge, where none of those things would run over them.
It was painfully loud as the vehicles crashed for good, causing her to flinch before she turned to look at him with a halfway helpless gaze.
Great, now he was supposed to be dead, but wasn't. The universe wasn't going to like that. She was pretty certain it would catch up sooner or earlier and when that happened, it wouldn't be happiness and butterflies for sure.
But first things first...
"Eva", she introduced herself. "I'm... Death."

Lucius rose an eyebrow, unbelieving, but forced to believe. "Isn't Death supposed to be a skeleton with a scythe? And... I mean... I'm not dead... At least I don't think I am." Most humans would have stopped at "I'm not dead", simply denying the very possibility that they were dead. This one hadn't even died, yet, not really, and was accepting the possibility, nay, the seeming inevitability.

Eva slightly shook her head, a faint smile appearing on her face before she motioned down the sidewalk to suggest leaving the accident site.
"That's my father you're talking about", she said, her almost black eyes sparkling in amusement and contrasting her pale porcelain face.
"I took over the family buisness a couple of hundred years ago. And no... You aren't dead. You... Are supposed to be dead though..."
She sorrowfully looked back at the wrecked car once more, biting her lip.
This would have a backlashz she was certain of that.
"I can only keep yo ualibe for so long though... The universe in it's endless wisdom will soon notice that you are still breathing and try to fix that mistake...but- different topic- what's your name?"

"My name is Lucius..." he said, his face not seeming to register what he just heard, "If I'm supposed to be dead, why am I still alive... and how did death have a daughter???" In his mind, far more questions raced around, but those ones seemed to be the most pertinent. The pain in his gut was gone, of course, and he still breathed, and his heart beat, if he was supposed to be dead, how could he possibly be alive? Christians would have a field day with this... and so would atheists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back