• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Stricken World

LOOK AT THE FIRST POST! LOOK AT THE FIRST POOOOST!

Now, instead of flipping through pages to get all of the character info and crap, you can just switch tabs and shit. Merry Christmas!

Thanks to @MysticPisces for teaching me the format of tabs and getting me to do this!

"Your left arm is severed." Keith said as he withdrew his sword, and lashed at the bard's right arm, attempting to land a hit.

[dice]10027[/dice]

The hit landed, and seemed to also be a rather substantial hit.

[dice]10028[/dice]

Escad

Hit Points: 1

Initiative:

The blademaster struck true again, this time aiming for Escad's sword arm. Even with all of his focus on dodging, the swordmaster's skill was nothing less than stellar. Cursing, Escad determined that he would never win if he never attempted to strike. Throwing caution to the wind, he lunged, hoping to at least prove to the warrior that he wasn't so easily defeated.

[dice]10029[/dice]

However, Escad's weakened sword arm was not able to follow through with the attack and he wavered at the last moment, missing the mark.

Keith saw the miss, and took a moment to think of how the battle was going. The bard was not doing too good, maybe his luck was down. Keith decided to try to end the battle as soon as possible, so they both could be on their way.

[dice]10034[/dice]

Unfortunately, however, the attack missed its mark.

((Whoo! I survive another round!))

Escad

Initiative:

Escad spun, bringing his rapier up to parry the attack, throwing the slash out wide. He followed with a riposte, hoping to find an opening in the other man's defenses.

[dice]10035[/dice]

Miss.

Escad

Hit Points:

Escad parried away the thrust, forcing his opponent's blade downward and causing him to overbalance. Escad quickly turned and stabbed.

[dice]10037[/dice]

This time, the rapier struck true, finding a hole and tearing flesh.

[dice]10038[/dice]

Escad quickly recovered from the lunge, noting the blood that followed his thin blade as it retracted. It seems he had struck a good blow. Perhaps the master swordsman would be impressed.

((Max damage for the win! Right now I'm missing the increased critical range of rapiers in 3.5.))

Keith felt the wound that the bard left, and nodded in approval. "Good hit." He said, and lunged in, attempting to land a blow.

[dice]10039[/dice]

(Flips desk)

((Serves ya right!))

Escad

Escad sidestepped to avoid another lunge from the swordmaster, this time swinging his blade in a horizontal slash.

[dice]10040[/dice]The blade struck true again and drove home.

[dice]10041[/dice]A line of blood splashed into the dirt of the training pit as the blade bit through flesh.

((Oh, gosh. I just knocked the blademaster unconscious. *whistles nonchalantly*))

@Rand @MysticPisces: As the bard whoops in delight over his second hit, a massive gust of flame envelops the tent next to you, and you hear screams come from inside. A swooping figure narrowly misses your heads and comes to a landing on some rocks about twenty feet away. The burst of adrenaline caused by such an action causes Keith to be at one hit point. You're welcome.

The red dragon is very large - some might call it ancient.

"Well, it's quite the pleasure to be at the Resistance Outpost."

It looks around at the shabby tents and the rusted weapons.

"... A bit less imposing than I thought it would be."

It's scarlet eyes scrutinize you (Yes, you, the bard and the fighter) as it makes no moves to attack.

Yet.

@Anuen @Sohisohi @TheGrimPickler @Aviendha: As you continue your conversation, you hear screams coming from the camp. Looking down, you see the main tent ablaze, and figures running and screaming.

A shadow in the sky moves. A figure lands on a nearby rock outcropping.

red_dragon_by_benwootten.jpg

Actions? Also, paladin, can you give me a spell list? I think you forgot to choose from the list I gave you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Merle had always known that her mama was powerful. Despite living in the middle of a forest, no animal nor monster had ever dared to bother the two of them, and the few visitors they had came only to ask desperate favors. And yet, whenever she spoke of dragons, the old witch's voice shook with fear. And though Merle had never seen a dragon before, she always knew that they had to be terrifying to cause even the shadow of fear in the heart of someone like that. But she had always thought because the witch hated them so intensely, she could find it in herself to overcome however scary they were because they hurt someone she cared about.

Yet as she saw this thing, so much greater than anything she had imagined, a crushing fear gripped her heart and she knew she had been wrong. This was death that had arrived, and to fight it was to condemn herself to it. Still, to do nothing as the dragon menaced innocents around her - no, that wouldn't do. A fight, she wouldn't win, but she could still offer her own little defiance. With a flap of her wings, she was in the air flying in circles near the dragon.

"Go away!"

@merle The dragon looks at you and it's majestic presence forces a Wisdom save from everyone. The DC is 17.

Failure means you are frightened of the dragon and cannot move closer to it.

The dragon chuckles at your comment.

"My my, you're a brave little crow. I suggest you flap off elsewhere, or I'll be forced to... remove you from this situation. A talking bird, though? That's a neat little trick. Tell me the name of the wizard that spawned you, so that I may pay him a little visit."

(Whoops, I meant Wisdom Saving Throw, not Will Save. I'll edit that. Also, Animal Handling will not work on a dragon, because it is not a "beast". It has its own class. Animal Handling works on creatures with low intelligence, like bears and raccoons.)

Escad's victory celebration was short lived. He nearly fell over as the wave of heat from the sudden fire washed over him. Suddenly, a crimson dragon flew overhead and landed about twenty feet away, it's scarlet eyes scrutinizing the young noble and the swordsman. And then it spoke, its ancient wizened voice resonating a nervous chord within the bard's bosom. Its maw was full of razor sharp teeth and its whole body was ridged with sharp spikes and spines - a truly imposing creature of magnificent and awesome power. The two men stood no chance of standing up to this beast, especially after they had just beaten each other up in practice. Escad scrambled away from the beast, dragging his rapier through the dirt and ash. "S-stay back!" he gasped meagerly, unable to steel his nerves against such a fearsome figure.

[dice]10054[/dice]

Ferox stood there agape. He swore his vengeance, but he never put it into practice before. He stood there, dumbstruck, worried as to what was to come. [dice]10058[/dice]

Lilliana stared in shock as the tents burst into flames as panic took over the outpost. She watched as the dragon landed on a rocky outcrop.

[dice]10153[/dice]

She felt fear take control of her as well, and she couldn't move any closer. The best option was to flee, even if the outpost regained order, it would still be a challenge to defeat it. Consumed in thought she inched away from the outpost.

Or lack of.

[dice]10052[/dice]

The scent of smoke, the heat of the fire, the visage of the dragon - they all inspired a crushingly oppressive fear already, and it took every ounce of willpower for Merle to ignore the desire to put aside the instinct to fly away as far as possible. But then it spoke with it's terrifying voice and it was just too much. Her breathing quickened, and she was full of a sudden awareness of how loud her heart was beating. Even something as natural as flight was suddenly difficult, and she hit the ground.

Her voice trembled as she responded, hopping backwards away from the dragon every few seconds with a flap of her wings. "M-mama says wizards are stuck up blowhards."

(A note: You repeat the Bravery check every turn until you succeed, whereupon you are immune to the dragon's Frightful Presence for a day.)

The dragon looks at you all and smirks, its razor-sharp teeth glinting in the firelight.

"Luckily for you, I am not here to kill. I chanced upon this Outpost by sheer luck."

It's piercing eyes stare into Merle's.

"A witch, then. Which means you probably have magical prowess of some sort."

Its gaze sweeps across the gathered people, from the fighter, to the bard, to the druid, to the paladin, and finally resting on the rogue.

"A dragon as old as me has true sight, you know."

It spreads its wings and takes off, in one mighty leap ending on the tattered remains of the main tent.

"My name is Incineratus the First. And you are the party of adventurers I require to rid me of a nemesis."

It's terrible mouth curls up in an ugly smile.

"Unless, of course, you wish to try your luck against me?"

As the dragon flapped overhead and landed on the incinerated remains of the main tent, Escad suddenly found himself with his back directly to it. With a startled yelp, he dove and rolled, half expecting another blazing inferno to erupt out of nowhere. Laying sprawled on the dirt, he crawled behind some heavy supply crates for cover. The dragon's gaze was truly frightening. It was as if it could see right through you, piercing your very soul. It felt like it could read your every thought, all your secrets and desires. Escad shut his eyes and covered his ears, trying to block out the dragon as best he could. He just wanted the thing to disappear forever.

[dice]10155[/dice]

Lilliana trembled at the dragons words. True sight, he knew, he could be lying, he had to be lying. All her instincts told her to run before anyone else found out, but if she did, she would be turned into a pile of ash on the spot. It seemed her only choice was to help the dragon.

[dice]10157[/dice]

*facepalm*

Instead of making any attempts to show her agreement to the dragon's plan she stood there frozen in place staring up at the large red beast.

[dice]10156[/dice]

As the dragon's eyes met hers, Merle was suddenly aware of how small she was in the face of it. Able to do little more than quietly shrink into herself, her silence was a quiet acceptance of a simple truth: She didn't want to die. And so she voiced no disagreement when the dragon spoke.

The only thing Ferox could manage to do was gulp, and get weaker in the knees.

[dice]10199[/dice]

((This has gotta be some scary dragon or something))

((> :D ))

"Good. The name of the dragon is Apophis. It's an ancient blue dragon, and you won't be able to kill it as you are now. Get some experience and fighting under your belt, kill a few other, smaller dragons."

His crimson eyes gain a dangerous light.

"When you do reach him and kill him, he will have a gem in his forehead. Remove it, and give it to me. This is how I'll know if you've succeeded. Leave his hoard for me, but feel free to take a few gold pieces as payment."

His piercing glare lands on the paladin.

"Do not disappoint me."

Everyone has advantage on their bravery checks now, as the dragon isn't fighting, except for the paladin, where his attention is focused. Druid, do a Nature check roll, and bard, please do an Arcana check roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back