• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Stricken World

SnakyDragon

Bad At Titling
Hey! I'm SnakyDragon (any smaller variation that that name is fine - Snaky, Dragon, SD, Dargon, Snake, etc. I'm not one of those guys.) and I've got a vaguely D&D-based roleplay for you all here. If you don't play, that's fine, you'll have plenty of time to get into things. I have a whole adventure planned out here, and there'll be PLENTY of time for you to get the ropes of this... watered-down version I'll be using. In fact, if you have ANY experience roleplaying online at all, you'll get this pretty quickly. If you don't, I'm honored to be your first roleplay. Get out. Welcome!

Just post your character in the Character Sign-Up tab.

Be ready to deal with a LOT of dragons. It's a Tiamat-based adventure.

Note: When you're making a backstory for your character, there is a three-year period where a massive dragon-god and her horde of (you guessed it!) dragons utterly demolishes the world and destroys entire cities and towns. You should end up in a resistance movement, since that's where the characters will meet.

Thanks to MysticPisces for putting all of the character sheets in one place so I could do... THIS!

Characters

• Name: Ferox Dratin

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Druid

Appearance:

masen__half_elf_wizard_by_garygill-d4hkzu4.jpg
    Personality: Well, from spending most of his years reading and studying, he's very intellectual. However, he's barely sociable. He can convey basic motifs and such, but not much else. He uses very large words, which often leads him to not being understood. He also stutters when trying to talk to new people. However, he's factually over-observant. ((Imagine Bones from Bones, times 20)). This causes him to be perceived as rude, but he's just harshly blunt. He does mean well, but social situations make him nervous and he will often fall back on magic or avoidance. He gets along much better with animals.

Backstory: Ferox never could really fit in with the other kids at school. So, naturally he stopped trying to talk to them. He started trying to talk to animals to fill that lonely void. He would have many 'conversations' with them. Eventually, in the library, he found a book on speaking to animals. It was in Druidic text, so he scanned through and learned it in the library. After about a year of this, he mastered conversing with animals. When he went back to the schoolyard, the first thing he could tell is the regular animals asked, "Where have you been?"

This caused him to love that library. He considered it the reason his life is so different. And he was so invested in Druidism, that he finished mastering as best he could. But, during his studies, the library was destroyed. The dragons, they just burned all of that knowledge like it was firewood. He could never forgive them. The most ignorant and horrid act anyone could commit is the destruction of knowledge. He spent his life there, and he would have revenge for what they did to it.

Stats:

• Strength: 8 (-1)
    • Dexterity: 12 (+1)
    • Constitution: 12 (+1)
    • Intelligence: 16 (+3)
    • Wisdom: 16 (+3)
    • Charisma: 2 (-4)

Proficiencies:
    Animal Handling, and extensive knowledge of a lot of things.

Flaws: Obviously, he has a hard time socializing. Also, he will burn anything he cooks.

Hit Points: 13 (increases by 1d10+constitution modifier per level)

AC: 12 (Leather armor plus dexterity)

Animal Handling: +5

Arcana: +3 (+2 when doing knowledge checks to know what a monster is capable of)

Athletics: -1

Bluff: -4

Bravery: +3

Diplomacy: -6

Intimidate: -4

Nature: +3 (+2 when tracking animals and when doing knowledge checks to know what a monster is capable of)

Perception: +3

Religion: +3

Stealth: -1

Sleight of Hand: -1 (-2 when cooking)

Spells Known:

• Mending:
    • Thorn Whip:
    • Healing Word:
    • Animal Friendship:

Last edited by a moderator:
A WORD TO ALL PLAYERS: Specifically, spell casters. If your character casts spells, I have given you a choose-your-own-spell list. It's probably one spell that your character DEFINITELY has, two cantrip spells that your character chooses from, and three more powerful spells that your character chooses two from. As you gain levels, you'll learn more spells. I'm too lazy to figure out your Spell Saving Throw DC, which is 10+your spell casting modifier at this level. Mind doing that?

@TheGrimPickler You pick your way through the underbrush, eventually making it into a full-sized glade. Tents are all over the place, and people - humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, and halflings, mostly - are bustling around and doing work, collecting wood, cooking animals, picking up weapons, etc.

You have made it to the Overworld Resistance Outpost.

It took about a year of travel, killing kobolds, and talking to animals, but you did it. As you look around, your peripheral vision catches movement behind and to the right of you.

Someone's watching you. (See Sohisohi)

Spells Known So Far: Mending (keeps a downed ally from dying, takes one turn), Poison Spray or Thorn Whip (One is a close focused blast of poison that deals 1d12 poison damage to one enemy within 10 feet on a failed save, the other is a long-distance one-target piercing damage spell that does 1d6 damage and pulls them ten feet, both take one turn), and 2 from Animal Friendship or Healing Word or Thunderwave (charms target beast 1/hour, or heals 1d4+WIS modifier 1/hour or deals 2d8 thunder damage in a cone from you 1/hour).

@Rand Your opponent lunges his rapier, but you parry and swipe a cut at him. The wooden blade smacks his left arm and he sighs.

"Left arm down."

His rapier comes whirling out of his right side and you block, wood and metal grinding together as you grab his right arm and pull yourself into him, blades crossed between you. You step on his foot, and as he goes down to hold his bruise, your knee goes up and smashes into his nose, blood spurting on his face and your leg. His whole body moves backward and he collapses into a nearby pile of barrels.

He picks himself up after a few seconds, sighs, and waves his hand over his shattered face.

"You want me to use all of my spells, don't you?"

His hand leaves, and his face is left as pristine as ever. Good ol' Healing Word. (See MysticPisces)

"Good sparring session. I learned a lot."

You have been in the Overworld Resistance Outpost For The Past Two Years, And You Are The Blademaster and Trainer.

@Sohisohi You watch as the druid that ventured far too near to your cave picks his way through the underbrush, eventually making his way into the Overworld Resistance Outpost, and wonder what to do. Should you come up to him and ask questions? Should you just leave him be and let him discover for himself what adventures await him?

You move forward through the trees, getting closer. (See TheGrimPickler)

Spells Known So Far: 2 from Cure Wounds (touch a creature and they regain 1d8+WIS modifier hit points as an action 1/hour), Thunderous Smite (the next attack you do does an extra 2d6 thunder damage and the target is knocked prone and pushed 10 feet away from you on a failed save as a bonus action 1/hour), or Shield of Faith (A shield appears over a target you can see and grants it a +2 to AC for up to 10 minutes as a bonus action 1/hour).

@MysticPisces Your travels have taken you to the infamous Overworld Resistance Outpost, which you are now in. You watched a sparring fight between a Swordmaster and a healer whose intent to learn more offensive capabilities apparently outweighs his need for healing spells that day. You see the Swordmaster pull the cleric in close and smash his nose in with his knee, and you wince sympathetically. (See Rand)

You're here in the Outpost, which you've been in for about two days, because if you're going to avenge your father and kill dragons, you know you can't do it alone. And this seems like the hardiest place to find yourself some fighters and perhaps a spell caster or two.

This could be just the guy.

And you know where a certain dragon lair is.

Spells Known So Far: Friends (for a minute, you become friends with one humanoid you can see, but after that minute, that creature realizes it has been magically altered and reverts back to its original state. Takes an action and you can do it indefinitely, but only one creature at a time), Minor Illusion (small illusion that isn't audible but is visual that last for as long as you can hold concentration. Takes an action and you can do it indefinitely) or Vicious Mockery (A string of insults laced with subtle enchantments on a creature you can see, must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic and have trouble attacking the next time it chooses to do so, takes an action and you can do it indefinitely). Then choose 2 from Charm Person (outside of combat, force a Wisdom saving throw or have the target be charmed by you for one hour, takes an action and you can't use it again until you rest for at least an hour), Healing Word (1d4+CHA modifier hit points to a creature you can see, takes an action 1/hour), and Hideous Laughter (One target just succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated with fits of laughter. Cannot use on powerful enemies. One action, 1/hour)

@Anuen You fly over the Overworld Resistance Outpost and scan the ground for a hardy, meaty looking fighter.

There. Outside of the outpost, there's what looks like a paladin watching a druid make his way through some bushes.

Perhaps you should make your presence known or, at the very least, watch and see what happens. (See Sohisohi and GrimPickler)

Spells Known So Far: Fire Bolt (ranged spell attack that deals 1d10 fire damage on a hit, takes an action to use and you can do it indefinitely) which you automatically have, Ray of Frost (ranged spell attack that deals 1d8 cold damage on a hit and slows the target's speed by ten feet, same as above) or Light (twenty-foot sphere of light that lasts a minute, takes one action and you can do it indefinitely). Choose 2 from Burning Hands (blast from you that deals 3d6 fire on a failed Dexterity save to a group of enemies close to you (say, fifteen feet), takes an action, 1/hour), Magic Missile (Three bolts of magic that automatically hit for 1d4+1 damage, takes an action, 1/hour), or Witch Bolt (On a hit, deals 1d12 damage and from then on it's an auto-hit for an action. Takes an action, 1/hour.)

... Questions? During your posts, please tell me which spells you chose. Keep in mind, you'll learn more as the adventure continues.

Keith propped his practice sword against the wall, and nodded towards the cleric who's face was recently healed. "Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. You are getting better, but in a real fight you would be dead meat." As the cleric boy left the practice field, Keith turned to a barrel of water and cupped some water in his hands. He splashed the water on his face, and shook his head, getting some of the excess water off. After he shook his head, he grabbed a cup and submerged it, bringing it up to his lips and taking a long drink. "Next." He said, picking up the practice sword.

Merle circled around the area, looking down at the camp below when two strangers in particular caught her eye. One traipsing through the bushes, and the other... Oh wow, that guy was huge! Nothing would even think of bothering something that big, right? Definitely the kind of guy to make friends with.

With a flutter of wings and a single loud caw, she descended on the large stranger's shoulder, gripping just hard enough to stand up straight. "Hi! What's your name?"

• Fire Bolt
  • Light
  • Burning Hands
  • Magic Missile

Mending, Thornwhip, Animal Friendship, and Healing word.

The man behind Ferox was huge, almost reminding him of the bullies from school. But, he's grown from fearing them, and learned to not resent them. At this point in his life, the bigger, the more helpful. He was about to ask something when an actual bird flew down asked for him. It's not the bird that was the spectactle, he's read about them before, it's the fact that a talking bird, of which was far away, was able to be more social than he. He thought that it were talking to him and spoke up, "Ferox, and yours?"

Only after the pair looked at him confused did he notice they weren't even close to talking to him. He reddened, looked down, and walked a couple feet away.

Lilliana walked through the outpost looking for something to steal, she was a bit short on money and this seemed a good place to find some. She had only been here a few days and it seemed safer than most places, it did feel a little wrong to be stealing from a resistance but, she quickly put it out of her mind as usual. Walking by the front gate she stopped for a second, noticing some travelers approaching. One was rather giant and seemed to be talking to a crow, she had no doubt he was drunk unless that was a magical crow, but, that was unlikely. The other was attempting to hide in a bush(Ferox has a -1 on stealth, then again i have a -1 on perception soo idk how that would work), she was quite surprised no one had noticed him yet. If i only sneak around the bushes i could probably steal from the one in the bush while he is distracted...and maybe he would just assume he dropped it on the way, she thought. It seemed like a bit too much of an hassle for a traveler, she usually went for nobles and rich merchants but, you never know what you can find on a traveler, sometimes they have something rare. So she decided it was worth a try and started to sneak out of the gate and into the underbrush.

[dice]9888[/dice]

Modifier: +5

[dice]9889[/dice]

Modifier: +3

Okay, Ferox, roll a d20 (Perception) and add your modifier to it twice. Lilliana, roll Stealth and then Sleight of Hand. If any of Ferox's rolls are higher than Lilliana's, Ferox notices her.

After cocking her head in confusion at the speaker for a moment, Merle processed that he was responding to her. By the time it registered, though, he was already walking away. That was no good, it would be rude to just let him leave!

Hopping off her perch, she fluttered over to the other stranger - well, not a stranger anymore! Also not as tall as her last perch, but she wouldn't hold it against him. "Hello Ferox! I'm Merle!" Looking between the two she got straight to the point: "Are you two here to fight dragons?"

Ferox was startled by th bird following him, but he was as polite as possible, "Oh, well. Hello then. Do you know him?" Ferox said, referring to the large man in front of them. When all of the sudden,

[dice]9890[/dice]

[dice]9891[/dice]

he felt a tug on his bag. He looked down and saw a thief reaching at his bag! He was less startled at the thief, and more so excited that this is the closest a female has ever gotten to him. He quickly snapped out of the trance and said, "I've lost enough change on the school yard, you'll have to try harder than that."

Escad applauded as the bout concluded. "Better luck next time," he said to the cleric boy, clapping him on the back as he jogged past. It had been a good show for a cleric, especially one that young. The fact that he only got a broken nose - which he healed himself, no less - was certainly amusing. Escad had hoped for a bloodier spectacle, though this was indeed just practice. No doubt the blademaster was holding back quite a bit, his cold dark eyes seemed too intense to be nothing less than an expert at his craft.

"I suppose that's me," Escad drawled, rising from where he was sitting, answering the call of 'Next.' He lazily swept the golden locks of hair out of his face before drawing his rapier from the sheathe on his hip. "Live steel work for you? I daresay these training swords lack a certain... finesse that a fencer demands to perform," Escad complained, sounding thoroughly bored with the whole ordeal. "Not to mention," he continued, "you have armor and I do not."

-Minor Illusion

-Healing Word

-Charm Person

@Rand

"Oh i wasn't trying to take your money, but simply looking to return it, i was walking through the forest when i found this on the ground, i could only assume it belonged to you. Oh but, of course if it's not yours..... i could hang on to it for a while longer..." she said tossing the bag of money back and forth between her hands. She tried to hide her smile, thieves always had the lamest excuses, no one ever fell for them of course, but, she had always preferred acting as thieves. Standing up she saw the crow fly over, land on the traveler's shoulder, and speak to them. "Wow so it really is a magical crow, and no i am not here to fight the dragons, i don't have a good reason too." She answered. Turning away casually, she hid the coin pouch in her cloak, which the traveler mistakenly forgot to grab back, and said, "Well sorry to leave so soon -she said in a caring voice- but, i have other business to attend to", and started walking back to the outpost before they decided to turn her in for thievery.

"You may use the sword." Keith said, picking up his practice sword. He observed his opponent as he entered the stance, looking for openings that the golden-haired man presented. "I do indeed wear armor, it's good to practice as you would in real life."

"I am pretty magical!" Fluttering her wings and puffing out her chest in pride she was almost too distracted by the perceived compliment to remember her original purpose, or for that matter, to notice any underhanded sneakery. Almost.

[dice]9894[/dice]

Didn't she just say that was Ferox's? Yeah! Yeah she did! Honest mistake though, definitely. "Hey! Hey! Weren't you going to give that back?"

Correction: Definitely. Definitely too distracted.

Ferox replied, "I want those dammed things dead." He snapped out of it as he put his hand on his bag,

[dice]9893[/dice]

and felt it empty. He spun around and ran after that girl, "I'm not as dumb as you may think!"

"Oh, but of course," replied the brash young noble with a smirk. He brought the point of his rapier up in one sharp motion, the fine edge of his blade glinting in the sunlight. Escad looked the swordsman up and down, sizing him up. To win against such an opponent was most likely nigh impossible, but this wasn't life or death - it was practice. Having three older brothers, all accomplished warriors, however, had instilled Escad with a strong sense of competition for the martial arts and he had developed a less straightforward approach to combat growing up. While the other man's defenses looked solid enough, he wondered if he was as good with a training sword as he was a real blade. Perhaps he could parry a few blows with his own slender sword.

"Shall we?" Escad asked, sounding unamused.

[dice]9895[/dice]+1 DEX Modifier

Lilliana sighed as she heard the traveler and crow notice her theft. This town may be safe but, pickings were slim. Pulling the bag from out underneath her cloak she pulled out one coin and put it in her pocket, she doubted he would go through the trouble to get it back. She had learned that it was better to take little and go unnoticed than take it all and be caught. After all this was one of her favorite faces, and she didn't want it wanted. There were other things she could have done like run or instead drop her bag rocks but, if you get two strikes its best not to go for a third. This was probably enough to buy a piece of bread, and then she could use that energy to get someone else's money, someone who defiantly didn't need it. "Did i ever say you were dumb? Or can you just read my thoughts?" she said. Without turning back she threw the coin purse down onto the road and walked back to the outpost.

Keith nodded, preparing for the oncoming battle.

[dice]9896[/dice]

Keiyh started the battle with a thrust to the left arm, hoping to whittle down his opponent.

[dice]9897[/dice]

Keith's blade hit his opponent's arm with a solid thwak!, and Keith withdrew the blade, re-entering the sword stance.

[dice]9900[/dice]

(Ouch, that's a roll I want in a real fight)

(Add your modifier that you use to attack (Strength for melee, Dexterity for ranged) to a d20 to see if you hit. I forgot all about damage dice. Rapiers are d8s, shortswords are d6s, training swords are d4s. Long-swords are d8s, and I think that's what our fighter has. For damage, roll the damage die and add your Strength modifier).

Does that help?

Deben stood hidden at the outskirts of the Overworld Resistance Outpost, or so he believed, which just so happened to be situated not all that far off from his current cave. He could spot a half-elf druid passing by in the direction of the outpost. Deben had interacted with fey before, though only in a limited capacity. After much thought, he decides not the engage with the fay and simply watch from a distance. Though, he is almost immediately startled by a talking crow which comes from above. It asks for his name, which for a moment, stuns him into silence as he stares at it. Deben hears they fey mumble something from a distance, which he didn't hear all that well. The talking crew fallows suit, chasing the fay down. He has, quite clearly, been spotted by both. With his wit now about him, he attempts to determine if the origins of such a crow.

[dice]9919[/dice][dice]9920[/dice]

((I'll try to post more when I get back from work, I doubt I can tell anything with such low rolls but meh @SnakyDragon ))

((Retconning the old post. With the damage dice added by the DM [d4 for practice sword], assuming you did max damage - based on the d8 roll you did - you would deal 7pts of damage. Escad lives with 1 measly hit point!))

Escad

Hit Points: 1

Initiative: 11

The blademaster was faster than Escad had anticipated. In one swift motion, the armored man had closed the distance between the two of them and hacked at his undefended left arm with his practice sword. Thwak! The blow was strong and true and Escad heard a loud crack followed by a sharp sting of pain shoot up his limb. He reeled on the spot, dancing away from his opponent, his left arm broken above the elbow and hanging uselessly at his side. Bastard! he thought to himself, grimacing with pain.

Not wanting the fight to end before it even began, Escad reached for a spell in the back of his mind, beginning to concentrate on the incantations necessary to cast it. "Genezen," he whispered quickly to himself, his arm starting to mend slowly. 'Good old Healing Word,' he had commented earlier not realizing he would be using it so soon. Escad decided that he would concentrate next on dodging to avoid any more damage and use that time to find a weakness in his opponent's form.

[Taking the Dodge action applies disadvantage to any attackers in exchange for me taking an action. Disadvantage means you roll twice to hit me, taking the lower of the two results.

I was able to use Healing Word because it is a bonus action - basically the casting time is so short as to be insignificant.]

[dice]9943[/dice]

Escad

Hit Points: 6

Initiative: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back