Other A ramble on 2017 and what’s to come

Leaf Fi

Your Tiny Friend
Midnight has just pasted; the cheers and fireworks of the New Year have dimmed alongside the chatter and cheers of the masses. Facebook posts reflecting on the past year are being made, thumbs relentlessly slamming into glass screens and the last drops of alcohol are slipping down the throats of the giggling crowds. However, far away from those crowd sits a lone girl. Her full eyes flicker across her mobile, her expression flat and unreadable, but as an old sitcom plays in the background, a war is taking place in her heart.

The past few years have been hell; she has walked barefoot through hills of molten lava, the rope around her waist threatening to pull her backwards at any moment and be consumed by the demons of the heat. However, she has pulled through, and now she rests to catch her breath and nurse her wounds, but the world isn’t so kind to give her a break. The peak she has reached is one of many, and while her other ahead is straight, it’s littered with havoc. Two armies are fighting, women are screaming and shadows consume those that stop to watch. This inward battle rigs at her ribs, closing them over her lungs and heart, and her breath is harder to grasp.

Inhale, but no exhale.

It hurts to exhale. The noose around her heart tightens if she exhales.

She sighs.

Swiftly, the sitcom is turned off; the war inside her just worsens from every bright smile of the actors on screen as they pretend to be friends in a perfect world. She closes Facebook, finding it too painful to look at the faces of those who have abandoned her over the years. Sadly, the damage has already been done; her heart continues to ache.

‘New Years alone again,’ her heart mumbles, and she simply curls into a ball, shamefully agreeing.

“Happy New Year to me.” She whispers softly as tears stain her cheeks.

The living room, once filled with the sounds of fireworks and cheers of delight, is now a somber scene as the girl cries silently to fill the void. A war awaits to fight through for the New Year, and she has no idea how she’s going to proceed. Yet she will.

This is her destiny, her life.

Someday, she’ll be in the crowds and she’ll have her kiss, but for now, the familiar feeling of sadness embraces her into the long night.

(apologies for this, New Year just hit and I was inspired to write to let out my feelings and I had nowhere else to post. I’m tired so it’s not the best. I’ll probably delete in the morning)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back