A question of lifespan

Good idea or Bad idea or Just Plain Ugly idea?

• Good?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad?

• Just plain Ugly...

• Total voters

Haku1

Ze Hamster of Lurkdom
Okay... this isn't me asking for how long various beings in Creation live... I know that...

No, this is a what if...

What if ALL exalted, from solars to lunars to sidereals to terresterials, share the same life span.

I'm talking about the 250+ years you can get with a dragonblooded, before needing to make the stamina + endurance rolls to see if you make it another decade.

There would be naturally life tricks, like drugs, hearthstones, heavenly peaches and wine, and essence and endurance 7 charms (with varying effectiveness).

This would naturally have alot of changes on the first age, behaviour of various exalted...

What do you guys think would happen in such a setting?

Well, it would put one hell of a crimp on the savants being able to devote decades of their lives to researching out some spell or making a artifact.  It would, in my opinion, make things a bit more cutthroat, scrabbling to reach power with enough time to do something with it.

Sherwood said:
Well, it would put one hell of a crimp on the savants being able to devote decades of their lives to researching out some spell or making a artifact.  It would, in my opinion, make things a bit more cutthroat, scrabbling to reach power with enough time to do something with it.
Well... like I said... it's a theoretical exercise...

Y'know...

So... more cut-throat... Hmmm... but if you can get an extended life span with high essence charms, as well as drugs, hearthstones, and various tricks...

It might be possible that it's not so bad... at least one hope.

On the other hand, if some Exalted (Solars, for example) could significantly extend their lifespans with Essence 7 charms, those Exalted would have more of a reputation for sitting around meditating (to increase their Essence). First Age elder Exalts would be even more awe-inspiring (similar to how they are in the Second Age), because they'd just be that much further beyond most others.

Most Exalts would probably be as frenetic as the Terrestrials. Many would focus more on short-term power gain rather than epic plans.

Maybe some Celestial Exalts would focus on building dynasties through their various incarnations: petitioning Lytek to leave certain memories attached to their Essences, leaving detailed journals or schema for their next incarnations, even setting up training schools and trust funds for their next life.

Mortals would hold out greater hope of being Chosen, owing to the higher turnover and the required number of heroes.

Relationships between Celestials and the immortal powers might not be so close; I figure it would take a millenium or so to shed their old mortal perspective enough to really relate to the gods.

It would make the Lunars more active in day to day affairs for their tribes and peons.  They'd also be much more competitive with the Dragon Bloods, instead of standing aloof and away.  

Sidereals would be devoting a LOT of time to serving the Mandate of Heaven for the rewards of Celestial favor--and Peaches of Immortality.  That might mean that high powered Sidereals could curry more favor and wield more power over their less well connected brethren. Power shifts between factions would be harder.

Solars would be the least affected--since they're new and back. But powerful Exalts who would be forced to be very active to gain power, favors, and goodies to stay that way, would mean a lot of Solars would be even more active.

The struggles of all the Exalts would be a little more desperate, a little less concerned about long term goals, but rather personal gain.

Sidereals would be devoting a LOT of time to serving the Mandate of Heaven for the rewards of Celestial favor--and Peaches of Immortality.
Actually, they'd just be fucked. Peaches, et al, do not work on Sidereals. They die when Fate says so. A 250-year life span would make them really shitty long-view administrators.

-S

Stillborn said:
Sidereals would be devoting a LOT of time to serving the Mandate of Heaven for the rewards of Celestial favor--and Peaches of Immortality.
Actually, they'd just be fucked. Peaches, et al, do not work on Sidereals. They die when Fate says so. A 250-year life span would make them really shitty long-view administrators.

-S
What stillborn said... however... it only ends when they're 'suppose' to die as per the loom. And fate never said how long they're 'suppose' to live, only that their bodies tend to run down once they hit 250 - 300+...

So, it's possible that the loom said they're good for 1000+ years, the -hows- would be up to them. Better be able to make those Stamina + Edurance rolls at diff 5 pass 300 years... which is possible with Fire Soul Shaper form + Exalted Way to hit 10 auto successes for that roll or with a custom spell to make them more endurable...

LoL, good-bye Kejak. I think it would just make the Age of Sorrows...more Sorrowful. CRAP! We only have two centuries!? MOVE MOVE MOVE! Is the worry of the day then ^_^

Btw, Haku...once again, I love your icon. 'Tis spiffy. ^_^

Heh heh heh...

The icon you can thank Melissa Uran for... for I stole it from her... I told I would be stealing it... and then I stole it... fuhuhuhuhuhuhu!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back