A pokemon rp idea

Bacon is fluffy

Wut'n th'name of davy jonez lockr is uh sall-add?
So I love pokemon,but I see a major issue with trying to roleplay it in the way it's portrayed in the anime,manga, and games...the aspect of the open ended world. People always want to roleplay without any sense of direction and it seems like more often than not,interest is only garnered because it's pokemon. When it comes to what to do, things get bogged down because there's no sense of direction or world built to actually rp in if it's supposed to be a journey. Perhaps it's just my opinion,but most pokemon rp's are too open ended and would be better served as a fanfiction rather than a roleplay. So I wanted to try and hash out some ideas for the pokemon rp that I eventually want to do and I'd love some feedback on it. It's not going to be perfect,but it's a side project I'd eventually like to get to. :)

1. The players will be established trainers(4-7 badges): This is not only to cut out the awkward introductions which never get anywhere,but also to give everyone what they wanted from the beginning in terms of a pokemon team. Sure you can still do the catch a new friend thing,but ultimately the rp will be focused on rping with eachother and doing one main thing.

2. There will be one thing: A threat so prevalent , that the players wouldn't be able to ignore them.

(If there are any objections to this idea of limiting the freedom people have, let me know. From my standpoint it seems like the logical thing to do in order to have a roleplay, where people can effectively roleplay trainers with pokemon in an organized fashion)

The pitch: Pokemon has always been a backwards world with logic sometimes being thrown out the window and parts of the lore ignored because they don't serve gameplay or kid friendly purposes. The original writers in a way, tried to create an enjoyable experience which did not assume kids were stupid or adults were pretenious. They wanted to create a story which everyone could enjoy and that is evident in certain parts of pokemon. One of which, is the reality of pokemon actually being able to die(lavendor town) or creepy dex entrees such as Driftloon being a child abductor. So I'll be trying to start this process by creating a world which isn't dark,but builds upon these illogical poketropes and the premise that pokemon are wild animals.

I. Pokemon are abused creatures: Not to sound like a peta hypocrite,but pokemon are a lot of domesticated animals. It's no suprise in the real world we basically control animals, breed them on masse in horrible conditions and eat them without so much of a second thought. So it's not surprising that no one would bat an eye at pokemon being treated as they are in any medium they are portrayed in. Pokemon are basically happy little creatures roaming the wild till one day a little kid sicks his pet at it and beats it to a blood pulp. That poke is then scooped from its home and forever a possession of that little kid. It'll be forced to fight in a Valhalla like manner, being thrown into battles against other pets. Your adult charmander is fighting a dragonite who overpowered it 2 miles above the arena. They're traveling hundreds miles per hour using dragonite's own strength, weight and gravity as he basically throws charizard into the earth on its neck. This charizard creates a crater on impact,but miraculously isn't dead. No it's beat up,but refuses to give in if it can fight back. At the end of the day, the trainer will get the credit for charizard's pain and suffering. He'll be digitalized into his pokeball and forced to face off against monsters trying to douse his tail flame, psychics mind raping him, fighting types smashing his face in, and grass types poisoning him. Yet through it all both pokemon involved will continuously fight and suffer injury after injury until it becomes a joy to them. Pokemon live a sad existence in the hands of a trainer.

II. Pokemon are dangerous though: Despite their enslavement and the state sanctioned dog fighting like competitions, pokemon are dangerous. From the very beginning Oak has said pokemon are wild animals, thus arming you with your very own pokemon. The moment you step outside of pallet town, there are wild rats the size of pitbulls and giant predatory birds. Rats are already scary and basically impossible to get rid of in real life. So imagine going into your cupboard to find a rattata rummaging through your goods, leaving its feces behind in the process spreading disease in the process. Or going out to watch some birds, only to have those birds divebomb you and try to peck you to death. This is why you have pokemon, because they are dangerous animals who could destroy the human race if they were organized. Since they're animals of varying intelligence, people catch pokemon and employ them against other pokemon.

This world isn't only supported by the fact that pokemon are inherently described as dangerous from gen 1(despite that never being the case in the anime), but pokemon has some creepy lore. Kadabra's entry basically has two possible meanings, one it switched bodies with a boy or two, a boy turned into a kadabra. While the latter is less likely, pokemon has worse inconsistencies such as ghosts. Ghosts who are basically dead pokemon. Dragonite dies and becomes a ghastly in death or something like that. For the sake of simplciity kadabra use their intellect to switch with some of their trainers and ghost pokemon are just dead pokemon in this rp.

Getting back on track on the topic of animals, pokemon are dangerous. Gyrados is basically a sea serpent which terrorizes fishermen and some ghost types like the chandelier pokemon wait for terminally ill patients in hospitals. Imagine that, giant serpents slaughtering people at sea and predatory ghosts feasting upon the dead at the source. Even less conventional pokemon not generally thought of as scary like pikachu, basically pose a massive threat to powerlines in big cities. I'd imagine they would be attracted to electricity, constantly causing blackouts and cutting lines by gnawing on them like the rodents that they are.

III. Children, badges, and pokeballs are a form of survival and control: So it's safe to say that wild ratata and pikachu don't cause harm to human settlements. People live out in the wild without pokemon to protect themselves, so pokemon aren't always invasive like their real world counterparts. Or perhaps they're afraid of us and are slightly more intelligent than they are given credit. Big cities must have advanced technology to keep pokemon from running amok among the general populace, maybe radio waves or zealous hunts for these wild pokemon. Thus these pokes, being able to have feelings, stay away from humans by choice.

Children with the use of technology, are indoctrinated into this culture of catching pokemon and living beside them. They aren't taught that it's bad to beat up wild animals and force them to be their pets. I mean you wouldn't walk into a crowded room and beat a mate up(potential BF or GF) and drag them home would you? Kids aren't taught to really value pokemon or how intelligent they really are. They're taught it's okay to catch them and more importantly, it's fun to make them fight eachother. Pokeballs digitalize pokemon after they're too weak to fight back. They exert a form of control over the captured pokemon, tracking their growth and re-programming their minds to fit our needs. Brave bird and surf don't exist,but these commands exist because the scientists who made the pokeballs program pokemon to respond to these commands by instantly brainwashing them on capture. Thus a charmander who simply spits fire in the wild, suddenly knows how the command, fire spin, because of the programming within the balls.

The balls are all connected by bill's pokemon pc system established in gen 1. This perfect their ability to digitalize balls and not overburden trainers who were catch happy. They actually created a system of teleportation,but not a perfected one since a trainer can not make changes in the wild. But essentially pokemon are put to sleep within these balls, their biological growth re-programmed within it and their brains altered to respond to commands and love their trainers.

The badges are transmitters which unlock certain traits in pokemon once they are obtained by the trainer. The gym leaders never have the same pokemon for too long. Their pokemon are at a fixed level while they serve the leader. Basically a leader is given a team of pokemon at a certain growth level. They fight and fight and when that pokemon becomes too strong, they are sent away to slaughter houses to serve as meat in grocery stores or whatever use they can fulfill depending on the leader. The leader in turn, depending on their personality is either sent new pokemon in times of emergency or they spend all their time breeding pokemon and replacing their team everytime their pokemon grow too strong. This system of having certain gym leaders who are stronger than others is to foster growth among new trainers, until they are good and strong by the eighth gym.

The pokemon league is just a national event to bring in money for various cities and glorify their work as trainers.

IV.The bad guys: Well they are bad or good depending on your viewpoint. Not all pokemon are suffering and not all people who work with pokemon as scientists,trainers, and government officials are callous. There is a need to control pokemon and a need to create a form of control among them and create a vangaurd of trainers who could defend human settlements against pokemon. The bad guys in this rp would basically beleive pokemon trainers can only be trainers without the pokeballs. They would be silenced by the government at large and eventually seek to start a full scale revolution against everyone who uses pokeballs to interact with pokemon. They beleive pokemon are symbiotic creatures at heart,but are unfairly tortured and enslaved by people. So in order to prove their point, they use pokemon in order to over throw the system which spans across the globe. To undermine the narrative of pokemon being partners and create a world where pokemon battles don't exist.

Still with me?

These are concepts I've been creating on and off for years. I've never really written them down on paper before. Eventually I want to create an rp where people play as trainers at the pokeleague, which is the used as a platform for the anarchists who view the world as a dystopia, to make their move and plunge the world into chaos by damaging the pc system via cyber terrorism.

But before I do this and move forward with an actual pokemon rp interest thread, I'd like to get some feedback based on this pitch. Eventually I'll make towns and create a setting as best as I can to make the world feel more grounded. First I wanted to get some feedback on these core ideas which would shape how I make the police force npcs, the professor who sends you on your journey and the challenges which players would face when confronted by pokemon outside of battling.

Any feedback is appreciated. They're not new ideas,but it's the first time I've written them down and am unsure if the ideas about how the pokemon world is built make sense. I do realize it might sound a bit like team galactic(whatever they're called from black),but much of these ideas are built upon that one spark: are pokemon mistreated by people?

I'd be happy to give you some feedback. In my opinion, the reason why a Pokemon RP is so appealing to people (at least the reason it's appealing to me) is because the Pokemon series has a very open world. There's numerous regions (continents) in the Pokemon universe that people have explored since the first Pokemon games were released on the gameboy.

It's for that exact reason that I think a Pokemon RP with an open world setting is the best way to give people the kind of creative freedom that attracts them to a Pokemon RP. Writing out their own adventure, and by doing so creating their own experience and enjoying the world of Pokemon as they envision it.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be some sort of overall world plot, because it's an RP and everyone does need to interact with one another. An overall world plot should be incorporated later in an RP, revealed gradually almost as if it was a story that is being told and lived by the characters instead of something that is enforced on them from the beginning.

I think you have some great ideas that could be used in a Pokemon RP. All of the little details you mentioned are only small tidbits of the vast amount of subject material that people can build off of in an RP.

Also, I personally don't feel like a Pokemon RP that is based on the games, anime and manga is too much like a fanfiction, only because a fanfiction is a single idea that someone has that they write a story about. Whereas a Pokemon RP that is based on the games, manga or anime is only using the overall world concepts of the Pokemon universe in general. An RP is entirely different from a fanfiction because a fanfic is written by one person, but an RP is a collective story that multiple RPers create based on whatever world they are RPing in. It's for that reason that I feel like a world plot needs to be brought into an RP as almost like the "climax" of the RP, bringing the group of RPers together after they have built their character's personalities by writing out their own personal journeys.

That's not to say of course that an RP doesn't need to have some sort of direction. That is very easy to achieve in a Pokemon RP though, because there is always a direction RPers can go with their character even if they don't have an individual plot of their own. There's badges and gyms, the Pokemon league and just the overall world in general to explore. Collecting all the Pokemon and becoming a Pokemon master, and that sort of thing. If RPers aren't into that sort of thing, they can get involved in the main plot when it rolls along, or interact with other players as they further develop their characters and come up with a personal plot for themselves.

The most important thing that a Pokemon RP needs though, is an established system. Pokemon is an RPG, and it is heavily centered around battling. Without a battle system, any RPG-based role play is going to have issues. Also, an RPG based RP like Pokemon could also make use of other functions, like mine does with its use of a capture system. Also, like any basic RPG from the dawn of time, a Pokemon RP also works well with a dice roll system. Mine has one because I felt like it would give people who enjoy the gaming aspect of an RPG-based RP (like Pokemon) something to do to keep them interested, instead of just having an RP based entirely on the story aspect of an RPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the time you took to post, but unfortunately it is a fandom rp. It is already going to resemble a fan fiction no matter how close or far away from the source material that it is. Everything on this site is a glorified fanfiction.

As for your rp ideals, maybe yours is finally working out? Last time I checked we didn't agree on anything and no one was actually roleplaying and ended up going solo with no interactions with eachother.which is why I want everyone in the same setting. To focus on having Pokemon and roleplaying together.

I get there has to be a balance between direction and letting people do their thing, but I'm narrowing it down to a singular event.

Yeah, we had our disagreements but I do hope that if and when you create an RP that it goes well for you, so I'll still offer my own opinions to try to help you along. I've had a lot of experience with the troubles of an RP, and even a failed attempt at a Pokemon RP in the past, as you know.

Right now the narrative of my current RP is moving slowly, only because I'm in the process of creating a shop thread where all the RPers in my roleplay can purchase items. Its necessary for an RP like mine, that has a system in place instead of just being solely based on narrative. There's money to be earned from battles, to give people a "reward" for battling with one another. With a money system in place, there has to be a shop also, or otherwise there'd be nothing to buy with your money! lol It took some time to request the extra tab for my RP, and listing the various TMs/HMs and such has been a huge task for only myself and one other person to handle.

I agree that there does have to be some sort of balance in an RP between between doing a free-roam or having some sort of guided narrative. To me I feel like its all a matter of preference, because when you have an organized event at the start of the RP, some people find it harder to "jump in" than other people, depending on the type of event it is. It can also be a good way to get an RP moving in the beginning though, and a lot of people might find an event to be very interesting. I chose to do a free-roam in the beginning, even though there will be a contest soon. I want to give everyone the chance to develop their characters before throwing them into a specific setting. Think of it as like placing a person somewhere in the world when they have no idea who they are. lol Terrible analogy, but its the best I got. lol

Also, I guess all RPs are fanfiction in a way, because it would be copyright if it wasnt right? lol

I'm not a fan of Pokemon, but I can see the appeal of it. The way you want to go with it though, makes me iffy. No one will be able to do a better job with a piece of work than its author. So when you say you want to come at it with the wild-animal pitch, it makes me pause. Fandoms draw people in because of the the appeal of the source material. When you change it, it feels like a bait and switch. You have a fandom that's not really a fandom. That is the problem. The direction you want to take it in, is going to remove some of what makes Pokemon, Pokemon. I really don't think people are supposed to care that Pokemon are in actuality, used and abused...or that they can get seriously hurt/kill people. It's a lighthearted show that highlights perseverance, friendship, and a journey to the top. Changing any of those core things is going to be a problem, simply because it won't jive with the original work.

I'm on the pure-fandom side, so believe a Pokemon RP should bring all of what made Pokemon good, to the front. My suggestion would be to look at all the special moments in Pokemon. Getting the first Pokemon. Gym 1. Gym 3. Team something trying to steal something. Legendary Pokemon sighting. Battle with Rival. Gym 7. Gym 8. Pokemon league first and last rounds. Make time skips of these. An abbreviated journey for Rpers. They can fill in who they caught or what they did between each period.

I agree open worlds are not so good. It can be done yeah, but it's going to be murder for the GM. Focused events are the way to go.

If you want to make a realistic Pokemon, don't call it Pokemon. It's sending the wrong signals. If you for some reason keep the same name, at least post in big letters, that it is not like the original Pokemon.

I agree with most of what Masquerade just said, even though I'm not debunking what Bacon is suggesting, because his ideas are good and Pokemon was originally intended for a more mature audience to begin with.

The one thing I dont agree with about what Masquerade is saying is that a Pokemon RP should still be focused on gaining the 8 badges and stuff, but should not be an open world RP. Yes it will be murder for the GM depending on whether or not you're trying to monitor everyone, but I've had lots of experience with free-roam RPs and they work out with me as GM, because Im kind of gung-ho and dont mind the work involved. lol

It seems like it would be impossible to create an event centered around RPers gaining badges, because everyone still has to begin their story. You cant have everyone start their journey in the same place, or it feels monotonous. So in that regard people need a bit of freedom. After people have began their journey thats when an event (or multiple events) should be created. People can choose to be a seasoned trainer that wanted to relive the experience, or they can be a beginning trainer. They can choose to get their Pokemon from professor Cedar or they can say they already had a different starter and detail their history together as they RP.

Thats how Im gonna do it in my RP, anyways. :)

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]I'm not a fan of Pokemon, but I can see the appeal of it. The way you want to go with it though, makes me iffy. No one will be able to do a better job with a piece of work than its author. So when you say you want to come at it with the wild-animal pitch, it makes me pause. Fandoms draw people in because of the the appeal of the source material. When you change it, it feels like a bait and switch. You have a fandom that's not really a fandom. That is the problem. The direction you want to take it in, is going to remove some of what makes Pokemon, Pokemon. I really don't think people are supposed to care that Pokemon are in actuality, used and abused...or that they can get seriously hurt/kill people. It's a lighthearted show that highlights perseverance, friendship, and a journey to the top. Changing any of those core things is going to be a problem, simply because it won't jive with the original work.
I'm on the pure-fandom side, so believe a Pokemon RP should bring all of what made Pokemon good, to the front. My suggestion would be to look at all the special moments in Pokemon. Getting the first Pokemon. Gym 1. Gym 3. Team something trying to steal something. Legendary Pokemon sighting. Battle with Rival. Gym 7. Gym 8. Pokemon league first and last rounds. Make time skips of these. An abbreviated journey for Rpers. They can fill in who they caught or what they did between each period.

I agree open worlds are not so good. It can be done yeah, but it's going to be murder for the GM. Focused events are the way to go.

If you want to make a realistic Pokemon, don't call it Pokemon. It's sending the wrong signals. If you for some reason keep the same name, at least post in big letters, that it is not like the original Pokemon.

[/QUOTE]
I see, then even if pokemon can work on some level,it would not be the thing for me. I'm a long time fan of pokemon and would have liked to experiment with the story rather than ignoring everything which makes the show unengaging past the age of 11. If I changed it to the point where it's not a pokemon rp, then I'll let the idea rest in peace. I've no intention of recreating the games or anime in text form, since we have the games and anime to watch already.

A Pokemon RP can still work for you. Your ideas might not work as the premises of an entire RP perhaps, but as an interesting detail within the storyline it would be a very good idea I think.

I only say that it wouldn't be a good plot for an entire RP, because if people want to RP Pokemon like it is currently portrayed in the anime and games, they should be allowed to. Also, a more mature theme isn't appropriate for younger RP members. But, mature themes can still be thrown in as like a hidden darker message among the "we love Pokemon, Pokemon are our friends" theme.

I mean, the original author of Pokemon did intend for the darker side of Pokemon to be shown. I can't remember where I saw/read it, I think it was in the manga..A Team Rocket grunt killed Cubone's mother with a cattle prod. There's some abuse in Pokemon, but you can't use that sort of material as the main theme of Pokemon because it sends the wrong messages

@Kyero[/URL] if you want to explore the idea more. Kyero is doing a really dark Pokemon RP that has everything you suggested and more. It's called Pokemon Worlds Unfurled I believe. It goes against almost everything I suggested to you and still works.

I think fandoms should be expanded on, not changed, so I'm very bias. However, I like trying to do unusual things, so if you want to PM how to make your idea work, I'd be happy to lend a hand

Hi @Bacon is fluffy, your idea is definitely interesting.

As @White Masquerade said, I have a Pokemon RP called Pokemon: Worlds Unfurled which is a darker and far more brutal experience than anything Pokemon has done in the games, manga, or anime. But this isn't about my RP so I won't bore you with details beyond those I just gave.

Anyway, the main thing to keep in mind for a Pokemon RP is how you're going to keep everyone engaged and interested. The best way I've found to do that is to create an active and engaging OOC experience so that the IC experience is actually almost secondary and comes naturally. By allowing everyone to communicate openly and exchange ideas and challenge one another's ideas so that they just create newer and even better ideas, you allow them to build their own hype and keep themselves interested over the long term so that they are continually posting in hopes of achieving the goals they set for themselves and seeing the results of their labor come to light.

Does that make sense?

Trying to force direction on an RP almost guarantees failure unless the RP is specifically designed to follow a distinct route, so my advice is to let go of the idea of too much control. My RP has some strict rules to follow, but within those rules exists a freedom of exploration and path choosing which has kept my role-players happy and engaged despite an almost 6-8 month long hiatus at one point. The fact that the OOC chatter has kept everyone in communication and excited about seeing the next post makes certain that everyone remains an active participant, even during slower posting times when school and work are interfering with the posting frequency.

As long as you keep the OOC experience enjoyable and intellectually challenging so that everyone builds their own hype and excitement for posting, your RP is going to be hard pressed to fail.

I've probably just rp'd with the wrong people,because the last time I tried being a gm who tried to collaborate with others, I ended up having to think for 10 other people. Instead of me being an observer and passive influence on the rp, I was literally juggling everyone's storylines simultaneously and no one was engaging me. No one tried to think for themselves or formulate their own way of going about the rp. On one end I was dealing with a crossdresser evading my npc's detection and on the other, I was chasing down someone in the catacombs under paris with an undead swarm. All while propogating a caricature catholic church if they had magic, to kidnap a player and later have an entire city after him. The more I churned out ideas and roleplayed, the less it became a group rp.

No matter how much I urged them for criticisms, suggestions and ideas...the less I actually got. It came to the point where it became unbearably stressful and I had to pull the plug. Mind you these players didn't even notice the hard work I put into it and eventually left despite me juggling pages of pm's and rp posts at once. lol

But that all is probably chalked up to me encountering the wrong group of players, since in the end they didn't even say a word when I stopped posting. I love creative freedom and have never liked being hamstrung about what I could do before even setting foot in a fantasy rp. People have made roleplays where mages weren't effective,limited to a single art and were in fact, not very good at their own arts. All in the spirit of teamwork and collaboration xD

Anyways, is your rp still going or is it on hiatus? I'd love to at least check it out and perhaps join as a player if its not closed.

Pokemon: Worlds Unfurled | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum[/URL]

And yes, i believe you just encountered a lazy and lackluster group of role-players during that experience. Any role-player worth engaging is one who is always pulling their weight while conforming to the RP world you've provided for them. The moment you have to start thinking for another role-player beyond maybe giving a few small helpful hints here and there, you should consider dropping them from the RP. As GM, you're there to oversee the world you created and engage people in a meaningful way in this world. You're not there to baby sit and spoon feed their experience to them. They have to earn it. If they don't look like they're earning their place, drop them and don't accept back talk or complaints.

It's your RP. Your rules. Your world. If they don't belong, then they don't belong. You can't be afraid to hurt feelings or piss people off when you're a GM. It's inevitable that it will happen.

I agree with what Kyero is saying about needing to give players a reason to feel hyped about the RP. I usually avoid a lot of chit-chat within an RP setting though, even though there is an out-of-character chat in just about every RP on the forum. Usually ooc conversations can distract people from the purpose of the RP itself, but I do feel like people should share their ideas, and that's what I think the out-of-character chat is really for. It shouldn't be a place to discuss what color you dyed your hair today. lol

I'd probably throw some darker themes into my Pokemon RP, because I don't want the entire RP to be a skip down candy lane. lol I do prefer a happier over-tone to an RP though, because it just puts me in an overall feel-good mood and allows for friendly interactions between RPers, forming friendships between the members. If people enjoy RPing together and sharing ideas, that's the key to the success of an RP, like you said.

As a GM myself, I also completely agree that you cant make everyone happy. I've worked so hard on an RP to have people leave plenty of times, before. I try to keep everyone together and stay in good standing with people, because at the end of the day its just an RP and it shouldn't be the cause for an argument because that's just stupid. Im also just an overall nice person, but I know there's a lot of situations where you have to toughen up or people will walk all over you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back