~A Great Big Set of Goodbyes~

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom
Hey guys,

I discovered RPing on an excitable Summer's night a little over three years ago. I was away on holiday, with little to do, and nowhere to thrust mt creative drive, and was scrolling through this small gaming website I'd used for help before. They'd made this wiki thing several years previously and, reading the page on one if its more infamous members, I came across the craft and was instantly hooked. A year and a half ago, after a hiatus from RPing, I came across a lovely website by the name of 'RPN'. And here I have stayed.

But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and so it's with a heavy heart, and a dodgy sleep-deprived brain, that I must announce I will shortly be leaving the site. My leave comes due to a number of reasons.

Firstly, and far most importantly, life. As some of you know, I am going to University on the
27th to study English Literature and Creative Writing. This is going to radically change-up my life, as I accustom to a new location, new friends and a new lifestyle. Emotionally, the prospect is a blend of hype and horror, but overall I'm looking forward to it, especially the course. However, I know for sure my workload is going to be crazy, and I'm not going to have anywhere near as much time (or energy) for this as I used to.

Secondly, I really need to focus on refining more standardized writing practices. RPing is great, and when surrounded by some of the many talents this website has, it can be a real benefit to overall craft. If you compare my writing when I first joined last April to where I am now, the change is impeccable, and I feel blessed and honoured to have had the opportunity to collaborate with so many gifted writers. However, there are many sides to the writing process that RPing does not teach and refine, such as editing and re-editing, interactions between two of your own characters, and quite often, more focussed structuring and pacing. For me, RPing has been a testing ground for new techniques and style, but now I must graduate from the testing ground and put what I've learnt to actual use.

Thirdly, my headaches. As anybody who's suffered through my frequent moaning will know, I've been having bad headaches every day for about five months now. My most recent trip to the GP warranted the conclusion that the only way to rid them is to make some serious lifestyle choices - doing a lot more exercise, getting a lot more sleep, and spending a lot less time hunched in front of a computer.

And finally... I've lost a lot of the drive to write here, in all honesty. The chronic-headache-apocalypse hasn't particularly helped, but I've really been struggling to get engaged with things here for quite a while. I think it's mainly due to the poor respect and lack of loyalty that so often leads to an RP's downfall. Now, I am never going to claim to be the best GM, because I'm not. But myself and countless other GMs constantly have to deal with people committing to RPs and then failing (without even trying, normally) to match the clear expectations set out by GMs. People join RPs on a whim and then leave without a word, and it's downright rude. Whilst it is a GM's job to lead and guide an RP, it is not their responsibility to 'carry' the entire RP. I think the Character Competition in particular has gone a long way in showing that when everybody puts in a ton of effort, things become so much more enjoyable and RPs prosper.

So yes, my last day of full activity on site will be
26th, a week from today. Before that, I'll be finishing off my fellow duties and then hanging up my green coat. And now for some more specific goodbyes:

RP Address

@Aldur Forgehammer in particularly for their support and friendliness. Aldur is bae, and has been a fantastic help and buddy (and I definitely want to keep in contact with you, you smelly orc).

@Dusky I'm aware that you too have left the site, but just in case you ever see this, wanted to thank you for your extremely insightful critique. Good luck in the world, yo.

@Bast I'm going to presume this is Loren, and apologise for being so irregular in the chat (RIP Shoutbox). I will bring the spirit of Bat-Poiret to university! ARR!

This website is a hive of talent, and there are a lot of people I never got the chance to RP with but always wanted to, including but not limited to @Poe @Mordecai @RubyRose @The One Called X @Ayl . Keep on doing what you're doing, I've a massive respect for your talent!

Inevitably some names and faces have slipped through the cracks in my brain, so to all those I have inadvertently neglected to thank or mention, thank you for joining my stuff and for supporting me :)

So yeah, with all that lengthy soppy obnoxiousness out of the way, thanks once again, everyone, for making all this such a great positive experience! I'm still going to be around until next Saturday, but afterwards, you will only maybe find me lurking in the Prose/Poetry section, offering and asking for critique. I'm trying to resurrect my long-dead Skype, and if I am successful, you may well find yourself with a PM asking for Skype contact. In the mean time, feel free to message me if you wanna just chat about something. Thanks everyone, and long live the RPN!

~SkyGinge

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope these life changes help you out in the end, buddy. I wish you the best of luck in your new University and I sure you'll be able to do some awesome things with the freedom writing brings to the table. You've always been one of the best Roleplayers a guy like myself to ask for! ^_^

I am shocked and saddened to hear this!

I'm not entirely that old a player here at RpN but what little time I have been exploring has been highlighted by your efforts Ginge. The character competition was an absolute delight and I was so excited to join Magistone just recently.

For what its worth; my time here has been made better by your presence, and though (I shall try my best to keep tears off the keyboard) you will be leaving, I do hope that one day things change and you decide to come back.

Farewell Master Carrot-top, it has been brief but fantastic.

Aw, this is much more severe of a break than I figured it to be. I wish you the best in uni, Sky, you're a lovely person and it's been a pleasure to chat and RP with you, it truely was. If you ever publish one of your works, I want a signed copy, you hear me? :P

Who decided it was a good idea to cut onions?

Jokes aside, I'll miss you, friend. May you find happiness everywhere you go and meet people who will learn to appreciate you the same way we do. Your writing skills are undeniably exceptional and anyone that may dare to say otherwise is a short-sighted ogre <3! I will also want a signed copy.

Oh my goodness. This makes me so sad :( You are, without a doubt one of the most talented people on this site and also someone I greatly respect and enjoyed speaking with. Wishing you all the best and praying for that head of yours! Thanks for the kind words <3

@SkyGinge So I spotted this on my phone, and immediately rushed for the nearest computer as I felt you deserved some sort of properly worded response.

Now, I'm bad with good byes in general, and I'm a whiny bitch when it comes to missing people, so believe me when I say it hurts me more than I'd like to admit to see another great roleplayer leave the site. I refuse to even let a single manly tear roll down my cheek, but damn you make that hard to keep. Life comes first, writing at a higher level than RPing is honorable, and I have more sympathy for headaches than anything (Geethx for ruining a third of my life, migraines).

To be frank, we joined around the same(ish) time and ever since the first time I came across you've I've been looking up to you ever so slightly. Not only your amazing writing that I've always felt 5 steps behind, but also the calmness and pedagogical style of talking and offering advice I've seen from you. Although most roleplays we've been in our characters have been pretty much uninvolved with each other, and y'know, that most of them died way too prematurely, every opportunity I've had to roleplay with you reminded me why I enjoyed it in the first place. Creativity, excitement, plot. I was looking forward to the Tokyo Ghoul roleplaying opportunities, but there's a plethora of talented writers in that roleplay already, so I don't doubt that I'll be fine.

So from the handsome Swedish duplicate who really is more of a musician anyway, to his reverse-adopted more impressive and fantastically talented older role-playing brother: Man, I'm gonna miss you.

I wish you the best of luck.

- Pritzel

Sky Sky Sky Sky! I just wanted to thank you real quick for all that you've done for this site. I think you've been an amazing help as a fellow and yours and Aldur's hard work really showed in the character competition this year. It was an amazing experience and I'm really glad I could have been a part of it. Just from what little I've been able to see of it, I know your writing is fantastic and you're going to do great. Good luck with university, and most importantly, have fun with it! <3

I understand you have a reason for leaving, and I respect that you need to keep your health up. Keep on writing friend~ you will be missed

These are sad news. Yes, I am indeed Loren, and even without the chat, the spirit of the Bat-Poiret will indeed live on! (It's ironic that today is the International Talk like a Pirate Day.)

Anyway, I hope all goes well for you in university, you fantastically talented English toadstool. While I've never actually roleplayed with you before, I have heard tales of your prowess with the pen keyboard, and bantering with you in the late shoutbox was always fun.

I won't lie when I say it's sad to see you go,but you have more important things to do in life. I remember when I called you Senpai when you liked my comment on the PlaystaionVsXbox thread... If that is what it was called X3. Then I finally got a chance to know you better in the your amazing RP... Once again, I thank you so much for accepting me into the thread. And even though it was for a short time, I'm glad I got to experience your RP AND know you :) . If you come back to the site, give me a call! I might be a better Role-player by then! Regardless, I hope you can be happy with what you do :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from the signs of fatigue and you mentioning you were going to University soon I expected something like this, but even so it's surprising to actually see. I'm not very good at good byes, but since you mentioned me I feel obligated to try anyways. Still, I probably would've done so either way since you are one of the people I think deserve it.

I didn't ask you for advice just because I roleplayed with you a few times; your writing is up there with the best on the site and it's been a quality that I've set as a goal to reach sometime in the future. We only roleplayed together a couple of times but each encounter with one of your characters was always fun due to your creative writing, and the roleplays of yours I was in (for however short due to my own fault which I still feel bad for) were thoroughly enjoyable. You always put your all into anything you worked on, and that dedication put you among the first people I'd turn to when looking for help. It's a shame we couldn't get a chance to work together more.

The feedback you've given me has also helped me immensely in more ways than one. Even though the helpfulness in terms of improving my ability began to dwindle over time, it did help boost my confidence as a writer significantly, something I'd lacked for a very long time. I used to always doubt what I wrote, but whenever I came to you you'd always say that there were very few things I needed to actually improve on, and since you definitely seemed like someone who wasn't just being nice I eventually realized I was better than I thought which I thank you for greatly.

I'm not gonna say I feel sad by the fact that you're leaving, because I'm not the type to usually feel that. Maybe a bit disappointed I won't be able to roleplay with you, but as you said it's something you feel you need to do and that's the reality of it. To steal a saying that I personally love; "I'd wish you luck, but as you know luck has nothing to do with it." I have no doubt you'll do great in your course considering what it is, and all I can end with is that I hope you have fun at University and that everything turns out as you hoped.

Sky! We'll miss you on the Newsletter, you made a great journalist.

Ah man, I'm saddened to read this. Well, I hope everything goes good at University and you really expand your writing even further. You're definitely one of the best writers on this web site. Magistone is a roleplay that has true spirit behind it. I apologize for not being as active as I should've been in it recently.

I wish the best for you~

SkyGinge said:
Hey guys,
I discovered RPing on an excitable Summer's night a little over three years ago. I was away on holiday, with little to do, and nowhere to thrust mt creative drive, and was scrolling through this small gaming website I'd used for help before. They'd made this wiki thing several years previously and, reading the page on one if its more infamous members, I came across the craft and was instantly hooked. A year and a half ago, after a hiatus from RPing, I came across a lovely website by the name of 'RPN'. And here I have stayed.

But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and so it's with a heavy heart, and a dodgy sleep-deprived brain, that I must announce I will shortly be leaving the site. My leave comes due to a number of reasons.

Firstly, and far most importantly, life. As some of you know, I am going to University on the
27th to study English Literature and Creative Writing. This is going to radically change-up my life, as I accustom to a new location, new friends and a new lifestyle. Emotionally, the prospect is a blend of hype and horror, but overall I'm looking forward to it, especially the course. However, I know for sure my workload is going to be crazy, and I'm not going to have anywhere near as much time (or energy) for this as I used to.

Secondly, I really need to focus on refining more standardized writing practices. RPing is great, and when surrounded by some of the many talents this website has, it can be a real benefit to overall craft. If you compare my writing when I first joined last April to where I am now, the change is impeccable, and I feel blessed and honoured to have had the opportunity to collaborate with so many gifted writers. However, there are many sides to the writing process that RPing does not teach and refine, such as editing and re-editing, interactions between two of your own characters, and quite often, more focussed structuring and pacing. For me, RPing has been a testing ground for new techniques and style, but now I must graduate from the testing ground and put what I've learnt to actual use.

Thirdly, my headaches. As anybody who's suffered through my frequent moaning will know, I've been having bad headaches every day for about five months now. My most recent trip to the GP warranted the conclusion that the only way to rid them is to make some serious lifestyle choices - doing a lot more exercise, getting a lot more sleep, and spending a lot less time hunched in front of a computer.

And finally... I've lost a lot of the drive to write here, in all honesty. The chronic-headache-apocalypse hasn't particularly helped, but I've really been struggling to get engaged with things here for quite a while. I think it's mainly due to the poor respect and lack of loyalty that so often leads to an RP's downfall. Now, I am never going to claim to be the best GM, because I'm not. But myself and countless other GMs constantly have to deal with people committing to RPs and then failing (without even trying, normally) to match the clear expectations set out by GMs. People join RPs on a whim and then leave without a word, and it's downright rude. Whilst it is a GM's job to lead and guide an RP, it is not their responsibility to 'carry' the entire RP. I think the Character Competition in particular has gone a long way in showing that when everybody puts in a ton of effort, things become so much more enjoyable and RPs prosper.

So yes, my last day of full activity on site will be
26th, a week from today. Before that, I'll be finishing off my fellow duties and then hanging up my green coat. And now for some more specific goodbyes:

RP Address

@Aldur Forgehammer in particularly for their support and friendliness. Aldur is bae, and has been a fantastic help and buddy (and I definitely want to keep in contact with you, you smelly orc).

@Dusky I'm aware that you too have left the site, but just in case you ever see this, wanted to thank you for your extremely insightful critique. Good luck in the world, yo.

@Bast I'm going to presume this is Loren, and apologise for being so irregular in the chat (RIP Shoutbox). I will bring the spirit of Bat-Poiret to university! ARR!

This website is a hive of talent, and there are a lot of people I never got the chance to RP with but always wanted to, including but not limited to @Poe @Mordecai @RubyRose @The One Called X @Ayl . Keep on doing what you're doing, I've a massive respect for your talent!

Inevitably some names and faces have slipped through the cracks in my brain, so to all those I have inadvertently neglected to thank or mention, thank you for joining my stuff and for supporting me :)

So yeah, with all that lengthy soppy obnoxiousness out of the way, thanks once again, everyone, for making all this such a great positive experience! I'm still going to be around until next Saturday, but afterwards, you will only maybe find me lurking in the Prose/Poetry section, offering and asking for critique. I'm trying to resurrect my long-dead Skype, and if I am successful, you may well find yourself with a PM asking for Skype contact. In the mean time, feel free to message me if you wanna just chat about something. Thanks everyone, and long live the RPN!

~SkyGinge

Though I seemed to only skim I'm very saddened to see you go. Though I do wish the very best to you in everything life throws your way and hope you do well. :) *Hugs the Ginge*

Oh my!

Well I wish you all the best in your future with it. The first Magistone will always have a place in my heart as the first RP here I got really into which also continued for a long time.

I only hope that things get better for you so that you may return healthier than ever before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back