• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic A Beginner's Guide to Owning and Operating an Android

9de435a1760ab558429c41d67838ea5d.jpg
Dr. Lin's neural implant pinged the arrival of her cab, as the elevator hummed to a stop at the ground floor. The on-board interface announced Lobby as the doors opened to a pack sullen eyes and an air of despair. No staff or patients joined her on her P1-bound lift. The doors closed and hummed its continued descent. Parking Level One. Her stilettos clicked as she bee-lined for a nearby postern with an aluminum hard case in tow. Pushing the exit open, her permed hair and gray overcoat billowed in the opposite direction. Just for good measure, she requested the taxi to pick her up in the alley. The backstreet was rife with questionable folk. She hastily made her way to the dingy yellow car. The driver stepped out uneasily, but graciously helped her stow her baggage into the trunk of the aged hatchback. He opened the rear door for her and she courteously bowed her head before entering. The seats were blemished and the interior smelled stale. She shuffled uncomfortably on the worn nylon seats as she readjusted her coat.

The taxi turned onto a nearby on-ramp and proceeded down the main artery, towards downtown's eastern sector. The polychromatic scenery sped by in a blur of lights and concrete. As they took an exit off the main highway, rain began to fall. Soon her window was spotted and lined with precipitation, obscuring her view of the of the slummy streets. She turned her head back to the interior and caught the cabbie's eye through the rear-view mirror. The driver held her stare for a moment before looking forward and continuing to their destination. Lin turned back to the window, clutching her coat lapels together. The cab pulled in front of the hotel she least wanted to see the inside of. She pinged Mauro, but was put on hold instantly. She sighed with impatience. The driver waited a moment as another call order came through on his dash.
Once finished with his reply, the front door dinged as the driver got out to unload her luggage. Her passenger side door opened. She saw his hand. She reluctantly took the rather large warm hand and let him pull her from the cab as she stepped out into the rain. Only it wasn't the seedy taxi driver. It was a wide-shouldered and grizzled Mauro that smiled down at her. She smiled back for a moment before hitting his chest, briskly walking past him to take refuge under the hotel's moss-stained canopy. After tipping the driver, Mauro followed behind, pulling Dr. Lin's luggage up and over the curb.

***​

"Tess.." Mauro's voice trailed off for a moment as his eyes greedily ate up her appearance from top to bottom. Even after walking through the downpour, Theresa was radiant. "Did you... have plans tonight?" Mauro's brows met as an eye twitched.

Theresa's large brown eyes fluttered before locking with his. He saw her jaw shift and her eyes narrow. "You don't see me for years and that's the first thing you ask?"

"No, I.. I just hope I wasn't interrupting something important" His burly hand shot up to massage the back of his neck.

She chewed her cheek before giving a curt response. "Hospital Gala. A charity event" She turned and started walking, her sway accentuated by her choice of pumps. "Not a date" She added flatly as she ascended the short flight of stairs.

Mauro wanted to deny her gleaned insight, but he knew better than to poke the lioness. Pushing the retractable handle down, Mauro carried her aluminum case up and into the lobby of the hotel. He could see she wasn't pleased about the out-of-order sign taped to the elevator doors.

"The elev-" Tess walked ahead towards stairway before Mauro could finish. The manager's eyes followed, inhaling deeply as she walked by. Mauro snarled as he passed the reception. The manager's finger flew up obscenely as he mouthed vulgarities at Mauro's back.

Mauro followed her slender figure without question or irritation. This was just Tess being Tess. He was also the reason she had venture into the sketchiest parts of town at this hour.

Tess impatiently drummed her fingers on her envelope clutch as the big bear fumbled the key card. Her eyes took a moment, deliberating over his rounded shoulders, taut biceps, and hairy thick forearms. The way she used to rake her fingernails over his golden skin.. bite into his neck.. taste his lips.

"Tess" Mauro's eyes were furrowed as he held the door open for her. "Let's go" he urged.

She gave a quick nod before stepping in. She eyed the fraying spoiled carpets. Her heels were staying on. She inhaled. The smell was unmistakable: blood and sweat clung to the turbid air. She glanced at the brunette woman garbed in clothes several sizes too big, before turning her attention to the man in need. She motioned for Mauro to set her hard case down. She gave the woman (..synthetic woman?) a small smile and nod before kneeling beside the shaking patient. She gingerly brushed the hair from his forehead before pressing the back of her hand against it, then proceeded to take his vitals, using her other hand to steady his lolling head. Mauro set her suitcase down and unlatched it. He pulled out a smaller hard plastic case and set it beside the bed before setting up an IV stand. Mauro began a verbal rundown of what he knew and what he learned from the android.

Tess held out hand and Mauro took a moment to find and hand to her a small black device. It crudely resembled a pistol with a blue laser glowing at it's point. A screen sat where a handgun's hammer would be. She deftly punched in a few commands onto the screen before turning to Mauro, who was now fixing an IV bag and blood packets to the stand. "You made sure the wound was sterile?" She glanced a pair of bloody forceps, "All foreign objects were removed?"

Mauro grunted as he fitted some tubing around the bags' nubs. "It's sterile. And I did the best I could under the given conditions". The bathroom light momentarily dimmed, as if on cue.

Tess sighed and watched the victim's sweaty face for a moment. "Prepare the infusions, and start once I'm done."

The handheld device primed with a hum and the tip grew brighter. She shuffled to the man's side and placed a hand on his nape to steady her. The world around her quietened and darkened, save for her patient and his shoulder. Her trembling hand steadied as her enhancements increased the release of nor-epinephrine. Her breathing slowed to a crawl and she began her work. The device buzzed as a blue light scanned the bandaged shoulder. Several pieces of metal fragments were still present, but they wouldn't kill him. She didn't blink as her hand slowly drew intricate patterns over and through the ripped skin. The exposed muscle and tissue within the wound began wriggling, before sprouting up and relacing together. When the laser couldn't reach the wound, her thumb would hit a small switch and the screen would change from numbers and readings, to an infrared view that allowed her to mend what was below skin. She continued her work until his mangled arm was no longer an exposed wound. All the internal and external damage was mended but not healed. This was a temporary fix.

Tess blinked her eyes as she transitioned out of her entranced state. Her eyes rolled back as she could feel her vision turning black. She fell into someone's burly firm arms...

Mauro laid her on the bed. He pulled the other side of the blankets out, and covered the unconscious doctor. His hand lingered, as the pad of his thumb traced her chin and jawline.

He quickly pulled away and turned to the android, almost forgetting she was there. He cleared his throat. "As you can see.. that's not a permanent solution. But he won't bleed out at this point. As for his pain... I wouldn't recommend medicine. The man's clearly hooked on something amphetamine related. His body will enter a state of detox soon" Mauro explained as he attached needles to the end of two tubes. He pulled the IV stand over and opened the fluid bags' small plastic spigots. He knelt by the noticeably paler man and ripped the white sleeves from the wrist up to the arm's crook. He flicked each needle twice before inserting them into the exposed forearm.

He gave a heavy sigh and used the back of his hand to wipe his brow. "Once she wakes up, we're done" He gave the android a hard stare before moving into a nearby chair.

Last edited:
She considered leaving him. The bear and the doctor were so busy taking care of the unconscious junkie at the foot of the bed, she could have just slipped out. And she almost did, but something stopped her. Some uncomfortable feeling in her bionic gut. She'd never really been out on her own, save the precious few times Toshi nagged her into doing some errand for him. But those were always close to home, and there was always a clear path. Home, convenience store, home. Home, noodle shop, home. This path didn't begin or end with home.

So she plugged herself back in while they worked, sitting on the bathroom counter, watching through the open door. It was an interesting thing to see--muscle and tissue mending itself under the doctor's laser. Even more interesting was the gray bear's face as he watched the attractive, young doctor. He looked at her like she was water and he was a man dying of thirst, his eyes slightly wider than before, as if that was the only way to take in all of her.

The doctor collapsed, but the bear caught her before she could fall. He tucked her in like she was a child, tracing the line of her jaw. It was sweet and pathetic all at once. And Nova began to wonder: why hadn't Toshi programmed her with a propensity for love? She felt disconnected from that one emotion, while every other emotion she could think of flared inside of her, vibrant and complex. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Love made people weak, conflicted fools. It tore down their core values.

Almost a full charge. Nova pulled the cord from her neck, crossing to the bedroom. She sat on the end of the bed across from the bear's armchair and crossed her legs. She ground her teeth for a few seconds, considering, then sighed. "I'm Nova. Thank you for..." she waved her hand toward the dark haired man. "All of this."

Really, the only thing she ought to have thanked him for was plugging her in, but she'd somehow assumed responsibility for the man who'd dug an android out of the trash because he thought he could stick his dick in it. The company she kept had never been high society, but this seemed like an all time low.

"Oh," she remembered. "Money. Let me see what this asshole's got."

She bent double, reaching toward him to slide her fingers into his pocket. Nope. She scooted closer, reaching across him for the other pocket. Bingo. She straightened up, bifold in hand. Flipping through it, there wasn't much by way of cash. She did pause on his driver's license though, pulling it from the thin plastic sheet that held it in place. "Huh. Taurus."

It was a weird name, but she was in no position to make judgments. She put the i.d. back and took out the credit card the motel manager had swiped before. "You got a chip reader too?" she asked, her eyes flicking to the bionic eye he had. "Can I, I dunno, stick it in your mouth or something?" She was only half joking.

"I'm Nova. Thank you for..." she waved her hand toward the dark haired man. "All of this."

The large man considered Nova. So she did have a name. Her sentience was not a simple string of code; well it was, but a complex code at least. She was aware she was an android, but maintained her own identity. A seemingly coveted name when he watched her share it. Like she was revealing more than just a label to him. She was revealing a part of herself. He stroked his beard and answered in a quiet tone, "You're welcome. Mauro. That's Theresa" He nodded at the sleeping woman.

He watched Nova trifle through the man's pockets without a second thought. He shifted uneasily, not used to a droid taking such liberties. Who ever programmed and coded her ethics took many chances, yet somehow the results yielded a belligerent and self-preserving personality capable of empathy and social responsibility. So far, the most artificial thing about her was the interface in which the tracker sat. Had he not plugged in her limp form or extracted the green LED, he may not have even considered she was an android. From the neck up, she simply looked like an aug'd yuppie.

"You got a chip reader too?" she asked, her eyes flicking to the bionic eye he had. "Can I, I dunno, stick it in your mouth or something?" She was only half joking.

A chuckle escaped an unintentional smile. His face quickly returned to its dark scowl. He cleared his throat and put a hand up. "I'm not the altruist you seem to think I am. The owner's waiving my room fees for the month. Keep your credits. It doesn't look like he's got much anyways"

They considered each other for a moment. A bright light lit the room. A second later: thunder.

"Where'd you get the police-issued handgun, Nova?" He let the question sink in. From where he was sitting, he withdrew the unloaded pistol from a nearby drawer. "Did you kill an officer?" His eyes narrowed as his voice dropped. He laid the pistol on its side on his thigh. The pistol's slide was pulled back, unchambered. "A single bullet was missing. Is there a dead cop laying somewhere in Japantown?"

Last edited:
The flash of lightning illuminated Mauro's craggy, handsome face, making him a portrait of black and white. Nova stilled, the thin rectangle of plastic poised between her fingers to go back into the other man's wallet. The gun she'd used earlier was now casually pointed at her. A bullet would hurt, even when being short in a lot of places would do little harm. Still, the reaction she'd feel to pain made her not want to get hurt. And if something had happened to Toshi, she'd have a hard time getting repaired.

But the gun wasn't loaded, she realized. Her posture sagged just a little. The drawer was still open, the magazine balanced atop a copy of the bible.

"No." Her eyes slid from the drawer to Mauro's face. "I didn't kill a cop." She might have in the past, but she hadn't tonight. It was hard to say what she'd done in the past. Any criminal activity got wiped from her memory the moment she got returned to Toshi, to protect all of them. So it was possible she'd killed a cop. It was possible she'd killed a whole brigade. But maybe Boss just took her to sell girlscout cookies. Nova slid the card back into the wallet and dropped it onto the bed beside her.

"The guy I shot is a good-for-nothing gangster. Trust me, the world is better off without him."

But Mauro was right. That was a police gun. She shrugged, looking at the dark-haired man. "I guess he's a cop. I got it from him."

She stretched her arms high over her head, fingers interlaced. So far, things had been pretty quiet. She was glad for that. Her gaze turned back to Mauro, sizing him up. "You wouldn't happen to have a cigarette, would you?"

Taurus didn't dress or carry himself like a cop. But again, Mauro only knew Taurus as an unconscious addict. The pistol could have been stolen... He glanced down at its condition: cleaned, maintained and oiled, relatively recently too. An undercover or ex-cop? It would explain the man's lean but chiseled figure.

To Nova's inquiry, Mauro brought his hips up slightly, from his back pocket he pulled out a half empty box of cigarettes and tossed it to her. A lighter rattled inside. He tilted his head, "Androids smoke?"

Mauro took a moment to recollect his thoughts. Taurus was on the verge of dying, and Nova void of any power. Despite his physical stature, he wouldn't have made it far lugging both to another location nor would he have considered it. It also would not have made sense to move them once he realized they were being tracked. Theresa was on her way and- He clicked his tongue at the sudden realization of the danger he may have put her in. He glanced up and met Nova's eyes.

"Was there only one assailant?" A quick shake of her head pushed Mauro to his feet. His eye turned white as he tapped into the hotel's security cameras. For all the corners he cut, manager Goro went all out when it came to his voyeuristic security. Pristine-Picture® cameras were placed at several points on each floor's hallway. The entrance had three dedicated cameras and the back entrance two. There were also a number of other distastefully placed cameras, but as long as they weren't positioned in his bedroom and bathroom, he couldn't care less. Ironically, the security of said security system was less than mediocre. A simple brute-force hack discerned the password: Goro123. He should've figured.

Mauro's eyes rapidly flickered left and right as he replayed the past 2 hours of video footage. No one unusual entered, save for the two that sat in front of him now. "We didn't take the tracker out until recently. Your Boss should be hot on your tail. Why has no one attempted to retrieve you? The time it took for me to get the Manager's request and pack my bag was ample time for the Yakuza to enter, acquire you, and finish Taurus. And no one would've been the wiser.."

His dichromatic eyes locked onto Nova. The white one trained onto the android and twisted as he ran a scan over her body. "You're sure there are no other trackers? Recording devices?"

Last edited:
Nova deftly caught the box of cigarettes, whipping one out and placing it between her lips. "We can't eat," she said around the paper cylinder. "Yet some of us are given taste buds. Leaves me with few options." She lit the cigarette, shrugged. "A little tar won't break me."

Mauro suddenly tensed, and that tension passed quickly to her. He had a point. It had been quiet for too long. Ito should have made it back by now and reported that she'd not only gone rogue, but that she'd killed Suzuki. Boss woudn't be happy about that. She'd cost him one of his men; but more than that, she was a commodity he'd always wanted for himself. It had probably been killing him the last few weeks that she'd disappeared off his radar, battery dead and body hidden in a literal pile of garbage.

"Why has no one attempted to retrieve you?" Mauro asked. "The time it took for me to get the Manager's request and pack my bag was ample time for the Yakuza to enter, acquire you, and finish Taurus. And no one would've been the wiser.."

"Fuck if I know." Hostility edged her tone. She took a drag, then pulled it from her lips.

"You're sure there are no other trackers? Recording devices?"

Nova licked her lips. "That was it. Just the one you removed." A beat. "I think."

Had Toshi implanted her with more tracking methods than the one in her shoulder? Nova didn't think so. But it was possible there were things inside her she didn't know about, or strings of code he'd kept hidden.

Nova rose. "I think we've overstayed our welcome here." She reached for the wallet and put it in her trouser pocket. Then she gave Mauro a significant look, holding out her hand. "I'll be taking the gun back."

Mauro didn't budge. Instead, he tucked the empty pistol against the small of his back, pulling his wife beater up and over it. He grabbed the magazine and pocketed that as well.

The way she said we've made him flinch. He stared at Nova.

If Tess' parents didn't present her with the ultimatum of Mauro's well-being or their unborn child, then, just maybe, they would have had a daughter. And that daughter would have looked like Nova by now. She would've been in her early 20s. Words wouldn't do her beauty justice. She would have had her mother's wit and her father's pertinacity. His eyes softened the longer Nova's eyes locked with his. He felt like a father throwing out a daughter. If Theresa was awake, there was no way she'd let Nova out there on her own. Not with this useless sack of bones and flesh. He glared at Taurus then back at her. His notions of their perceived relationship suddenly flipped. Maybe the synth was the victim in all of this.

He walked over and, not-so-accidentally, kicked Taurus' foot from his path. Taurus eyes fluttered for a moment before falling unconscious again.

He paused at the foot of the bed. He watched Theresa with a desperate pining. He sighed, glancing at Taurus and then Nova. "I'm going to take Taurus to my suite. It's room 210. Can you... stay with Theresa first? I'll come back up to get her, and then you can help by bringing the rest of the things down." He explained as he knelt, and pulled the needles from Taurus slightly colored forearms. There was bruising where the IV and blood needles sat. Silently, he scooped Taurus into a one-person carry, making sure his injured arm stayed close to his chest. Mauro made for the door.

Last edited:
"Wait."

Nova moved quickly, placing herself between Mauro and the door. A frown marred her smooth, lightly tanned brow.

"Give him to me. If someone's tracking me, I don't want them to find me here with her." She jerked a thumb at the sleeping doctor. The woman on the bed hadn't asked to get involved in this. Maybe Mauro hadn't either, but he looked like he could handle himself. The woman on the bed, lithe and pretty and well-dressed, looked like a sharp word could cut her. She didn't need a bunch of Japanese gangsters giving her shit.

"I appreciate what you've done for us," she told him, and reached over into the bathroom, yanking her charging cord from the wall. She pushed her sleeve up, wrapped the cord around her forearm, and pulled the sleeve back over it, buttoning the cuff to hold it in place. She practically looked human. Taurus's rumpled clothes even added a little authenticity. "But it's time for us to go our separate ways. I've got a friend on the other side of the city. I'll take him there."

'Friend' was probably generous. Nova knew a woman who owed her a favor, so the door wouldn't be slammed in her face. And, like Mauro, this woman could look after herself.

Mauro readjusted Taurus on his shoulder as he tried to step around her. He didn't like her tone. He crinkled his brow, concerned about his growing personification of Nova. She seemed so vulnerable, and if she was a human, would he still let her venture out with gangsters hot on her heels? He glared and said "What about the IV and blood? Is that something you can do on your own? He'll continue being unconscious weight until he can recover which will, in turn, take longer without the fluids. Even then, you'll have to deal with his withdrawals".

He glanced at Dr. Lin's sleeping figure. He'd asked Tess to come but she had no idea what she was walking into nor the potential danger Mauro unwittingly exposed the both of them to. All to continue staying in this dump.

He sighed heavily. The least he could do for Tess was to get her out of the Yakuza's trajectory as soon as possible. He placed Taurus against the entrance way's wall. Their chances seemed slim, but as far as he was concerned.. well, it wasn't his concern. He nodded, conceding to her proposition. He walked over to the IV stand, unhooked bags and resealed the spigots. He deftly packed the bags, tubes, and needles into the ice box. He paused for a moment, staring at the box's contents before latching it shut. The burly man walked over and handed the plastic cooler to Nova, but didn't let go.

"There's a fire exit at the end of the hall. The manager never locks it and the alarm hasn't worked in years. Take the stairs down to avoid being seen leaving. Try and stay against the walls to stay off camera. It doesn't take much to make the manager speak."

Only then did he relinquish the cooler to Nova.

Something didn't feel right.. letting a small woman brave her chances in such a neighborhood. However he had other concerns. He turned, closed the aluminum hard case and woke Dr. Lin.

Nova reached for the cooler, her fingers grasping the sides of the slick plastic. But Mauro didn't let go, instead locking that intense gaze right on her. She found herself straightening her spine a little, lifting her chin just a hair, and yet her eyelids fluttered. She felt... nervous. Scrutinized. And she didn't like that scrutiny she was under, not one bit.

Finally, he let go of the cooler. Nova moved around him. "I'll be back for him in a minute," she said over her shoulder, and left the room.

Just as he'd said, she found the fire exit, and just as he'd said, it didn't go off when she brushed the horizontal bar with the side of her arm and pushed her way through. She left the cooler in the alley next to the dumpster and headed back for Taurus.

Jesus, why was she even taking him?

Leave him, said a voice in her head. You're better off on your own. And he's a hell of a lot better without you.

She pushed through the fire exit, avoided the cameras, kept her head down.

Why are you doing this?

She was back at the motel room. A smear of blood stained the dirty carpet, darkening the coarse navy fibers. She stepped over the stain with her bare feet, sauntering in, and tried to exude more confidence in herself than she felt. Especially as a realization was hitting home: she needed a handler. She didn't know how to function without someone there with her, and it pissed her the fuck off. The worst part was, Nova had no idea if it was because she was legitimately a codependent little bitch, or if Toshi had coded her that way. Nature or nurture, it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

But for some reason she needed the unconscious junkie Mauro was holding onto. Oh, she'd have picked Mauro over him any day. If she needed a handler, he'd have fit the bill. But he had a woman already, and she wasn't going to get between them. Couldn't, probably. That looked like love in his eyes every time he looked at Tess. A singular, vulnerable, powerful love that had no room for other people, much less androids.

She ducked under Taurus's good arm, pulling it around her shoulders. "Wake up," she hissed, clapping his cheek. He was heavy, but if someone did happen to see them, it would look a lot less weird if she didn't have him on her back. This way, at least, it just looked like she was helping a boyfriend who'd had too much to drink.

Her eyes drifted to the woman on the bed, then back to Mauro. She winked. "Thanks for everything, Sex Pot. Call a cab for me, would ya?"

And she left, dragging Taurus along with her, hugging the walls. The stairs were hell, but colorful obscenities helped. There were a few times she almost dropped him, her feet skidding down several steps at a time, but they made it down in one piece (as long as you didn't count the blood spattered on the floor behind them).

When she got them through the door and out into the alley, a cab was waiting. She gave silent thanks to the man upstairs--not God, who didn't exist--but Mauro, who'd had a stranger's back when he should've turned tail.

"Fucking hell, would you snap out of it?" She glared at the man who was so close to her, his head lolling against her shoulder. How could he still be half-unconscious after all that? Nova ducked her head, caught his lower lip between her teeth, and bit down hard.

"Wake up, you piece of shit. And get in that cab if you know what's good for you." She staggered to the car, pulling him along, and opened the door. It was a relief to see the vehicle was driverless. Nova shoved Taurus in. "Don't go anywhere."

She ran down to the dumpster, retrieved the cooler of blood and whatever else Mauro had packed, and sprinted back. Urging Taurus's legs in all the way, she wiggled in next to him, reciting the address for the car.

"Go!" she shouted when it failed to leave, even though the doors were shut.

"All passengers must be buckled before the vehicle can leave," the car replied.

So she leaned over him, buckled him in like he was a child, and did the same for herself. Then she collapsed back against the fabric-covered seats, mechanically and emotionally exhausted.

Taurus' head lolled and his chin bumped against his chest. His cheek bone would occasionally meet a soft head of hair before momentum pushed his head in the other direction. Everything felt so heavy. It felt like sleep paralysis but worse: there was a constant shortness of breath. His lungs simply refused to inhale until his chest was tight with the stress. Then he'd have a brief moment of respite where his nervous system forced a gasp, holding him off until his next anxiety attack. He felt a doorway hit his left shoulder. Huh... it didnt hurt anymore.

The small body that supported him started to speak at him with slowed and distorted words. He did his best to lift his gaze to hers. He felt her hair brush his cheek. Her lips loomed closer. Wait... I think we're moving a little fast-- "Ow" He tasted blood. The sound that escaped his mouth sounded foreign to him. His voice was rough and craggy. Possibly sexy? Is that why she was taking advantage of lil' ol' Taurus?

It was still hard to make out her words, but they sounded less than polite. Narrowly missing the edge of the car door frame, he felt the cold leather meet his bruised eye. Pain seemed have a yielding effect on his drowsy state. He blinked and his vision grew clearer. He could see the textured leather his face and disheveled hair laid on. With a bit of a struggle, he pushed himself up with a single hand, but couldnt find the strength to sit up. Instead he settled for turning over, staring up at the cab's interior. He glanced at the front two seats that faced him rather than the windshield. The driverless taxi.. the bane of all blue-collared cab drivers. How would they ever feed their little taxi kids now.

"Don't go anywhere" He didn't plan to.

He grimaced as his stomach began to churn nauseatingly. Somehow he knew the sensations would return. Shortness of breath was a welcome exchange for the onslaught of assorted discomforts he now felt. His left shoulder still didn't hurt. He turned to inspect it, but it was bandaged and his shirt seemed to have been ripped or cut at the shoulder's seam. His eyes traced the methodical wrapping and the tight knots that held the gauze in place.

He felt a pair of hands push at his calves as his upper torso slid and the top of his head pressed against the opposite door. With the help of the cab's interior, he pulled himself upright, his feet begrudgingly abiding to him. He watched the familiar individual wriggle into the seat beside him.

The autonomous vehicle requested he be strapped in, and his bewildered and delayed reactions said it all. He wanted to laugh at the sheer dependency he had on this synthetic harbinger of trouble and inconveniences. Said laugh was delayed as a forced chuckle escaped his lips well after she buckled him in. Well he meant to say thank you and even that got caught in his throat.

He watched the android sit back in the seat. He turned forward as the cab pulled out from the dark narrow alleyway. He wanted to ask her so many questions. The burning question being Why? She didn't know him. He didnt know her. Why not just leave him in the apartment bathroom? Why not just leave him to bleed out at the base of the fire escape? Why not just leave him at where ever they just departed from? Why did it feel like she cared for him?

He ran his top teeth over his scabbed lower lip. He ran the night's events through his muddled throbbing head. He patted his pockets for a pill bottle that wasn't there. He reached behind him and pulled out his small black book. He glanced at the android before quickly and calmly stowing it in his side pocket. His mouth was horrendously dry as he felt his peeling lips catch against each other. He attempted a swallow and his parched throat retorted with a coughing fit which he assuaged by patting his upper chest.

His eyes stayed forward at the oncoming city-scape. He cleared his itchy dry throat, "Thank you... for bringing me all this way" There was that Reynolds-esque timbre. "I uh.. I never got your name" Taurus glanced at her for a moment, unsure if her stillness was from a lack of power or if she was just tired of lugging his comatose ass across town.

Last edited:
When he thanked her, Nova snorted. It was a contemptuous sound, especially when coupled with the roll of her eyes and how she crossed her arms beneath her breasts, leaning against the car door. She let her forehead rest against the cool glass, eyes staring out dully at the neon lights of the city passing by, a watery rainbow of electric blue, fuchsia, and surreal flashes of green.

The man beside her had no idea; no idea she was using him; no idea he'd be lucky if he got out of all this alive. And here he was, thanking her, like she was some sort of savior. It was enough to bring a stab of guilt, but not enough to tell the car to pull over and push him out. She had her own self-preservation at the forefront of her mind, coupled with that achy loneliness she didn't understand.

He asked her name. Her brown eyes flicked to him, considering him for a moment. "Nova," she finally replied. A long pause. "Is your real name Taurus? Or is that like... some kind of nickname you gave yourself?"

He frowned at her scoff and looked out his window. Maybe it was the pounding in his ears or simply Taurus acclimatizing to the droids insensitive nature, but his usual witty retort escaped him. If he had a little sister, this is probably how it'd play out. In fact, all women seemed to have less than a short patience with the man. He just met this one too.

Nova. Usually droids gave their serial number or stock model name. And when it came to custom names, sexdroids were often assigned aliases like Angel or Candy. Nova... sounded latin for sun or something. Not exactly sexy.

It was Taurus' turn to snort derisively. "Nova?" He raised a brow and turned to her with a stiff neck. "Did you pick that yourself?"
"And no. That was my mom's attempt at encouraging me to be tenacious. Tenacious like a bull. Yes. People call me bull." It was like he was giving her ammo for free.

He had the gall to make fun of her name? With a name like Taurus? Nova's eyes narrowed.

"No, it was given to me. What, would you have preferred something else? Gemini, perhaps? Fucking Libra?"

She snapped her gaze back to the window, her lips pursed. Really, the nerve. She chewed the inside of her cheek, running down her list of insults to throw at him, but came up blank. Finally, Nova gave up. Being cheeky and disparaging was her default, but now she was just so tired. Tired of being prickly, tired of being on guard all the time.

"While you were unconscious, a doctor came," she told him. She tried to sound as uncaring as she could. "She worked on your shoulder. But... you bled a lot... A whole lot. When we get to where we're going, I'll get another bag of blood in you. I haven't done it before, but..." she tapped her temple. "I read a few tutorials and watched a video of someone doing it. It doesn't look that hard."

Except that it probably took a tender touch, and tenderness wasn't exactly her forte. Still, if she could pick a lock (and she was pretty certain she had, even though the memory was wiped clean), she could find a vein and put a needle in it.

"Libra's not bad.." He muttered brows raised. "Oh, because Taurus.. Zodiac signs.. funny."

The ensuing silence was welcome. Sort of. He glanced at her. Her tired defeated look didn't sit well with him. Or was it just his empty stomach that didn't sit well? Or the urge to throw up nothing. He opened his mouth to speak.

"While you were unconscious, a doctor came," she told him. She tried to sound as uncaring as she could. "She worked on your shoulder. But... you bled a lot... A whole lot. When we get to where we're going, I'll get another bag of blood in you. I haven't done it before, but..." she tapped her temple. "I read a few tutorials and watched a video of someone doing it. It doesn't look that hard."

Withdrawing snarky sexbot comment. His mouth closed into a thin line as he looked out the window. They were almost on the other side of town, hopefully the distance would throw the Yakuza off their trail. The blood loss my explain his unusual candor and sudden reception of the droid. He brows furrowed as the cityscape continued to pass, as the almost reached the fringe of the downtown core. "Where are we going? And where's my gun?" He patted himself down.

"To a brothel on the other side of town," she answered. "I stopped some asshole from beating the lights outa this chick I saw while I was out one day." She shrugged. "Turns out he was her pimp. She asked me to go to this brothel with her, see if they'd protect her if she joined her little family. She told me she owed me one. So, it's time to collect."

Taurus patted himself down, his hands all over his rumpled, garbage-smelling suit. When they stopped, they were doing two things in quick succession: hooking him up to a blood bag, and getting his rank ass in a tub.

"And where's my gun?" he asked, his pat-search apparently coming up empty.

"Don't worry," Nova muttered, leaning forward so she could reach behind her and take the weapon from the back of her--his--pants. "I've got it right--" Her eyes widened, realization dawned, and Nova blinked. She sat back up, sighing. "Shit."

"Brothel..? I thought you said your lady bits didn't work.." Get 'er Taurus, get 'er! He found so much glee in watching her face contort the way it did. A smile managed to push it's way through despite having the shittiest night in a while. A follow-up thought sobered his victory. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of brothels within the city.. He shook the pessimistic thought from his head.

Nova also did the pat-down routine. "Shit."

A deadpan expression came over Taurus' bruised face. "Hm. O-kay." He looked forward and let the back of his skull hit the headrest. He closed his eyes as his temples took turns beating the shit out of his meninges. "So, just to summarize: I no longer have a left shoulder, my place was probably swarming with Yakuza and now cops, and you lost my gun". He heavily sighed for dramatic effect as he reached up and massaged a temple. "This brothel better be fucking amazing".

His conclusion wasn't exactly right. His shoulder looked pretty damn good now that Mauro's girlfriend had done her thing. But the rest of it was close enough to the truth that she felt she couldn't exactly deny what he'd said.

"Yeah, well, close enough." She swallowed against the lump in her throat--or at least, the line of code in her script that made it feel like a lump was there--and looked down. "Fucking Mauro," she said under her breath.

This wasn't exactly a situation she liked being in--apologetic and indebted to some junkie who thought she was a fuck-bot. But in this instance, he was right. He was no saint, but she'd brought a lot of shit down on him when the worst he'd done was dig her out of a dumpster with questionable intentions.

"Look, I'm going to protect you, okay? Like a frickin' damsel in distress over here. Don't worry about the Yakuza. Worry about--about--not tearing that wound open. Okay?!"

The car stopped. Outside their window, crammed between two sleek glass and metal high rises, squatted a little wooden clad building, so ridiculously out of place that it could only be intentional. The place looked like a nineteenth century french whorehouse, all gaudy woodwork and emanating the scent of perfume.

Nova got out of the car, pulling the cooler along with her. Then she crossed to the other side and opened Taurus's door. "After you, madam," she said flatly, imitating him from before. "Your chambers await."

"Mauro? Did Mauro take my gun? Fuck-ing Mauro.." Taurus' eyes narrowed.

The childish emasculating comments seemed to hit a little harder than either of them expected. He bit his lip and stayed silent the rest of the ride. She wasn't wrong about him being basically useless for the whole night. She was indeed wearing his pants in this relationship.

Taurus shuffled out of the car as well as any one-armed man could. Okay not true, a one-armed man would probably do it with a lot more finesse. Taurus scooted once more and stepped onto the lit up pavement. He shouldered past Nova, tired of her remarks and desperate to get some blood in him. He stumbled and a flash of pain shot out from his shoulder. He looked at the pristine bandages. If the doc used a skin printer, then why was his arm still hurting like this.

He stifled a groan and continued to the Victorian doors. Heat and cheap perfume emanated through an open window nearby. He glanced back at Nova, standing beside the lacquered doorframe.

1st_class_smoking_saloon_by_novtilus-d5dn21w.jpg
Within the whorehouse, the world felt like it had stepped back a few hundred years or so. Candles flickered in ornate sconces on the walls, women sauntered around in corsets, pantaloons, and long lace skirts, and a man sat before a baby grand piano, giving the whole place a certain high-class ambiance. Nova looked at Taurus, then hooked her arm through his and pulled him along with her. A man like that, who'd dig an android out of the trash, would probably get lost on purpose in a place like this.

"Well hello there," purred the petite blonde who approached them. "What sort of fun are you two lookin' for tonight?"

The blonde was so top-heavy, Nova wondered how she managed to stay upright. Then she realized that staying upright wasn't really necessary much in such a profession, so it probably didn't make much difference.

"I'm here to see Georgette. She available?"

"Let me take a look and see." The prostitute strode to the reception desk and produced a tablet that felt out of place against the backdrop. She scrolled, seductively biting her lower lip as she did so.

Nova rolled her eyes.

"Looks like she's with a gentleman right now. But if you like Georgette, I know a girl who'd be perfect for the two of you. Want to try something a little different tonight?" The blonde's voice, sweet as candy, trilled up at them.

"We'll wait."

The prostitute pointed a manicured finger at the bar. "Why don't you order a drink then, darlin'? You seem a little tense." The blonde moved closer, cupping Nova's cheek with one of her soft hands. "Pretty thing like you shouldn't be so nervous. Georgette's going to take such good care of you." She lifted her other hand, putting it in the middle of Taurus's chest. "And you too, sweetie. You look like you've had a rough night. Poor thing."

"Come on," said Nova, turning--and forcing Taurus to turn with her. She pulled him in the direction of the bar, but stopped short at one of the tables, not letting him get within ordering-distance of the bartender. "Don't even think about trying to get laid while we're here."

Taurus glanced around apprehensively. He never used the front entrance nor their services. He also didn't recognize any of their faces so hopefully he could retain his ambiguity.

He felt Nova's slender arm link with his and pull him forward. He didn't like how his limp arm hit his side with every stride. He'd need to have it in a sling. Maybe Nova could watch some tutorials on that. He watched the back of her head and frowned. He already knew they were there for business; not that type of business. What did she take him for?

They came to an abrupt stop as the buxom hostess engaged with them. He didn't always take a back seat, but somehow it just felt more natural than butting heads with Nova at this point. Better to show a unified front in foreign territories. As the blonde leaned in, her dainty hand on Taurus' solar plexus, he felt the familiar twinge of arousal. "Mhm. Rough night" he chimed in, instantly regretting his words as Nova's arm tightened around his.

Before he could get in another word, he was whisked away to the spotless cherry-mahogany countertops. He leaned back against the bar and let his hungry eyes follow the esteemed ladies of said brothel.

"What? I would never..." He stared at red head who walked uncomfortably close to him. "Would never think about, that. I have standards." He cleared his throat and wisely decided to turn away from temptation. He raised a hand to the bartender, who was a more modestly dressed brunette. She still did little to hide her figure in her tight fitting bandeau and black leggings.

"What can I get ya honey" She leaned forward and deliberated from his open shirt, up his neck, and locked eyes with the brown-eyed potential john.

He stared back before he felt another set of synthetic eyes staring daggers at him. "Can I get a whiskey? Neat." She smiled and turned seductively. He clicked his tongue, "You said don't get laid. Nothing about getting shitfaced. And pay the woman would you?" His back pocket remained void of his wallet.

k_da_kai_sa_by_raikoart-dcpq506.png
Rolling her tongue over her teeth, Nova reached into the pocket of her trousers and withdrew Taurus's wallet. The bartender waited with a cool gaze, hands clasped behind her back. The android ran the tip of her nail down the little plastic rectangles, selected one, and handed it over. When the brunette left, Nova fixed her companion with a steady gaze.

"So, apparently you're a junkie." And an alcoholic? Did vices work that way, or did humans pick one? "And you've lost a lot of blood." Her dark eyes drifted to his. Under different circumstances, she might have found him attractive. Such feelings weren't beyond her--they were just usually ignored. But Taurus was an attractive man, she could give credit where credit was due. Sharp features, a scar through his eyebrow that promised this was a man who knew the thrill of danger. And he had good hair. It was a good thing they were so vehemently pitted against one another. There were enough fuck-ups that she could keep her line of sight clear, and that was a good thing. Shit was already complicated enough already. Their relationship--whether he realized it or not--was complicated enough already. It was good that sex wasn't on the table.

"What I'm saying is, maybe you don't wanna--" She stopped herself short, sighed. Then she lifted her palms, stretching each long, slim finger. "Know what? Never mind. I'm not your mother. You're a big boy. You can handle yourself."

The bull wanted to drink? Let him get shit-faced. He'd probably fuck up his arm again tripping up some stairs, but that was on him.

When the waitress returned with Taurus's drink and credit card, she fixed her smile on Nova. Nova didn't smile back. She was distracted, stuck in the maze of her own circular thoughts. Were they following her? Was Mauro and his woman okay, or had Ito showed up at that shoddy little shit-hole of a motel and killed them? She looked at Taurus. Would they kill him, just to tie up loose ends?

"You sure you don't want anything?"

Nova considered. "You got cigarettes behind that bar somewhere?"

The waitress had the decency to grimace apologetically. "Non-smoking facility."

She groaned, slumping. "Of course it is."

"Nova!"

She turned in her chair at the sound of someone shouting her name, locking eyes with Georgette, who hurried down the polished wood stairs like Nova was Santa and it was Christmas. She looked better than the last time Nova had seen her; less like a hand-shy puppy and more like she was actually happy.

Like the others, Georgette's getup had french old-world flair--a cream slip that barely kept her decent, a long silk robe that floated kimono-like behind her, and some fish-net thigh-highs held up by frilly garters. But Georgette's lavender hair and space-buns broke the fantasy; apparently not enough to deter her patrons, but it was clear she was of this century.

"I didn't think you'd come back," said Georgette, reaching their table. She threw her arms around Nova's neck, hugging her close. She'd always been the touchy-feely type. She couldn't help it. Just like Nova had been coded to be a bitch, Georgette was a born lover. The lavender-haired android melted into her lap, warm and unbelievably authentic.

"Yeah," Nova agreed, lowering her voice. "Listen, is there a place I can talk to you privately?" Her eyes moved to Taurus. "That we can talk to you privately?"

Georgette looked at Taurus for the first time, one arm still draped around Nova. "Oh. Well hello. Are you Nova's owner?" She lifted one leg, putting her stocking-clad foot on Taurus's knee. Nova could see Georgette's toenails through the holes of her fishnets, each one painted a different color.

George was too sweet and innocent to be in such a place, too wide-eyed about the whole damn world, but she could handle it. Nova just hoped she could help them. "No," she answered before Taurus could reply, and shifted her hips so Georgette's toes dropped away from the man she was grinning at. "He's, uh... Taurus. His name's Taurus." She stood, pulling the other android with her, and set the droid on her feet. "A private spot...?"

"Oh, right. Yes, follow me."

Nova picked the cooler up off the ground, tucking it under one arm, and she and Taurus trailed behind Georgette up the stairs. The candlelit hall was filled with the sound of creaking furniture, rhythmic grunting, and a few moans that sounded played-up to Nova's ears. The place smelled like sex and Eau de Whore. Georgette's room was near the end, and fortunately her last client had seen himself out.

Nova the cooler down on the ornate rug and shut the door behind the three of them. Georgette's room, or at least the room she worked by night, was small and frilly, with amber lighting and a large computer panel on one wall, decidedly out of place. The screen currently showed a menu of things that could be ordered, ranging from food and drinks to sex toys to additional partners.

Nova cleared her throat. Toshi was suddenly starting to look a lot less like a perverted old geezer.

"There might be people after me," she told Georgette, cutting to the chase. "We need somewhere to lay low until I know if I'm being tracked or not. And I thought you might be able to help, especially since you can't really get hurt. Permanently hurt." Nova grimaced. "I can turn down your pain sensors too, if you want. In case anyone shows up looking for me and tries anything with you."

Georgette sat on the edge of the bed, tying the waist of her robe. "Wow. Nova, this wasn't really what I meant when I said I owed you."

Nova sighed, running her fingers through her hair. "I know. But I'm out of options, George. And he's been to hell and back tonight," she said, jerking her thumb in Taurus's direction. "He needs to rest and I need to get a full charge. And we need to not get more humans involved if we can help it."

Georgette frowned, but finally she nodded. "Okay," she said. "I'll figure something out." Her violet gaze turned to Taurus, curious. "If you're not her owner, how do you know Nova? And who's this person that's after you two?"

Taurus mused as Nova deliberated between which card to use. It was all coming from his pocket; still, why not give the droid something to enjoy. Although, he enjoyed how the wallet conveniently returned into her back pocket. He rolled his eyes and turned to the swarthy barmaid.

Junkie...? It was a habit that he could kick anytime, right? His mouth felt dry and his migraine conveniently returned with a vengeance. He instinctively padded his pocket for a pill bottle he knew wasn't there. He glanced at Nova from the corner of his eye. He hated how perceptive she was. "It's just one drink. Cool your circuits".

Taurus smiled at the bartender, "I am a big boy" he said to Nova once she walked to another grey-haired patron. He swirled the glass of thick amber liquid before sipping it. It felt hot going down his esophagus. Hopefully the alcohol would help dull his senses.
He raised a brow. Okay, maybe a fiending man with an empty stomach and on the verge of hypovlemic shock should not be drinking; it burned so good though. Taurus raised his hand for another as he downed his current glass.

He heard turned when Nova's friend called for her. He clenched his jaw to keep it from dropping. What the hell happened to brothel droids since he last saw them? Nova was at the forefront of fuckability, but now this synthetic damsel stole the show. Taurus was never a fan of synths, but to be fair, Taurus could already feel the immediate effects of his whiskey, soon to be whiskies.

He felt his body seize up as the sexdroid's toe drew circles on his knee. He reached back and felt around for his refreshed glass. He brought it to his lips as his eyes never left the lovely Georgette's.

He nodded his head as Nova introduced him. He was her silent partner apparently. At Nova's request, the trio made their way down the Herati-carpeted hallways. He couldn't keep his eyes off of Georgette's backside; it was hypnotic. Could Nova move like that? Perhaps a firmware update or a mod? He glanced at Nova's relatively stiff and proper walk. Maybe it was his clothes. Nah, it was Nova.

He entered after Georgette and heard Nova softly close the door behind him. Taurus took a step to the side and leaned back against a vanity dresser, nursing his whiskey. He was at the point of drunk where he'd hear something and then register what was heard a few milliseconds later. He would arbitrarily nod to feign participation.

Her violet gaze turned to Taurus, curious. "If you're not her owner, how do you know Nova? And who's this person that's after you two?"

Taurus' eyes widened, as if the spotlight had been unwantingly shone on him. He swallowed the whiskey he was swishing in his mouth and cleared his throat. He felt like he was acting before his brain was giving the go-ahead. He looked at the half finished whiskey. He should probably stop.

"I'm... her friend? And I'm not really sure who's after us. Yakuza from what I can gather. They may or may not be out for blood but who knows? I'm drunk." He raised his glass to Georgette.

Her silent response seemed to speak louder than words. Maybe Georgette should be in law enforcement.

"Well, I was unconscious for the past.. 6 hours? But before that, I found a naked Nova in the trash, still looking beautiful by the way", he glanced at Nova's glare. Was she mad because he was being so candid or mad because he was disclosing how he found her. He smiled weakly at her before continuing, "I brought her home, plugged her in, she tackled me, gave me another concussion, I got shot, passed out on the way to somewhere, and then I woke up in a taxi en route to your lovely.. establishment. Also you are looking lovely tonight Georgette". The last bit of his spiel was slurred.

Taurus was more than hoping a little honesty would help push Georgette's hand to help them. He also felt really dizzy. He pulled the small cushioned stool from under the vanity and sat himself down. "Mm.. you were right, I shouldn't have drank.." He admitted to an unimpressed Nova.

Last edited:
Oh Jesus Christ. He was one of those drunks--the kind that got chatty and flirtatious. The way he looked at her, like she should take it as a compliment that he still found her attractive while naked and tits-deep in literal garbage, made her eyes roll back. Then he was turning his charms on Georgette, who batted her long eyelashes at him, twirling a lock of hair around her finger. George was eating every bit of it up.

"The less you know is probably for the better," Nova told Georgette, snapping a finger in front of her face to claim her attention. "If some guys come looking for us, just tell 'em what you know, kay? Don't go acting the part of some heroine."

Georgette pursed her lips, pouting. She was exactly the wrong combination of dumb and brave and selfless to get herself hurt--again.

"George, I'm serious. These guys are bad news, even to our kind."

"Oh, alright," the violet-haired android sighed. "You two can hide out at my apartment. It's just a couple blocks from here."

Nova looked at Taurus, battered and bloody. "Any chance you've got some clean clothes he can wear?"

Georgette chuckled. "Not unless he likes thongs and bustiers."

She winked at Taurus and Nova sighed. It was par for the course when working with a sex-bot, but it didn't mean Nova didn't wish the other droid would be serious for a minute and stop flirting. She was starting to feel like an awkward third wheel between the two of them.

"Don't worry, hon. There's a washing machine. Shower too, if you want to wash the blood away." Georgette lifted a slim shoulder, causing her robe to fall down her arm on one side. "Or don't. Dangerous men are pretty sexy. Maybe you should work that angle."

Nova got the necessary information--Georgette's address and entry code--and then raised her eyebrows at Taurus. "Come on. Maybe a walk'll sober you up a little." She picked up the cooler that Tess had unknowingly put her life on the line to deliver.

Taurus knew Georgette was simply working. The sultry looks she was giving him was her deep learning capabilities telling her exactly what to do to get a big dumb male like him in her bed, but it was very effective. He could feel a flush spreading over his face and a strain in his pants. Now he was really dizzy. Probably should not be sending blood to anywhere unnecessary but he couldn't help it. Georgette was gorgeous, not just superficially, but every movement, every glance, ever intonation was designed to make knees buckle.

Taurus did his best to look away and keep his eyes on the sobering Nova, but Georgette's velvety voice kept pulling his attention back to her.

Clean clothes? He looked down; clean clothes was a good idea, but two blocks was also not that far. They could skulk in dark alleys and hopefully avoid any wandering eyes.

Taurus became acutely aware of tiny under garment's string cutting into Georgette's soft hips beneath her silk robe. He watched the robe fall off one dainty shoulder. He inhaled sharply and looked at Nova, catching her eyes. He needed some air and he hoped his desperate expression would convey the message.

A walk sounded amazing. The cloying, heavy air and Georgette's intoxicating stare were not a good combination for someone as inebriated as him. He stood him and fell hard against the vanity dresser, causing cosmetics to teeter and some to fall onto their side. Taurus had to awkwardly catch and steady himself with his one working arm. He slowly stood on just his legs and he held a finger up at Nova, not wanting to look completely dependent in front of the two droids.

"Thangyu Jawj.." Oh wow, his mouth wasn't working right. He looked down at his nose and frowned, then at Nova, shrugging. He took a step and stumbled into her. She caught him with ease, but noticeably irritated. She did tell him not to drink...

He cleared his throat and reached for the door, missing the handle once and attempted it again with success. He opened the door for Nova and bowed his head with an oblivious smile. Before he left behind her, he glanced at the half drunk whiskey; he was already having trouble standing.. so he drank the rest and followed after her.

"H-hey.. you're walging really fast.." Taurus liberally used the walls help to keep him balanced. Nova seemed to know where she was going, so he followed her without a question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back