• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern 99 Bottles of Rum

Malevolence

Well, I will
They say the island of Sitra is the most peaceful island in the Seven Seas. It houses a small population of 10,000 not including the people's livestock and the merchants that stop by with their galleons. During the day, the sandy streets are always bustling with activity; from the local sellers, to the children playing outside. Not only is Sitra one of the most widely known trading spots, but it is also the stopping point of pirates who want to trade their acquired curiosities- mostly for kegs of ale and rum. Passing pirates are notorious for thieving and starting bar fights, but when the day is done, and when the masts are drawn, the island resumes its peaceful stride.

Almost everybody in the lands beyond the seas wants to live in Sitra. Nobody ever wants to leave this paradise. Besides, why would they?

---

fantasy%20paintings%20sea%20ships%20artwork%201418x971%20wallpaper_www.wall321.com_9.jpg

Sitra: The trading spot in the Seven Seas. It is also an oasis for pirates and sellswords.

AWC-75x57-VB2001-Village-Beach-FJ0285_800x533.jpg

AWC-75x57-VS1001-Village-Sunrise-FJ0373_800x533.jpg

The Red Witch: A ship owned by one of the most notorious leaders of the seas. It is known to travel far and wide to raid, scavenge, and claim what can be claimed. The name is given due to the red colour and light of the ship. [[ As well as the wake that it leaves behind, as claimed by some. ]]

images

-Please abide to RPNation's Rules and Regulations!-

Last edited by a moderator:
Angelique.

It was a beautiful day on the island of Sitra. I was born in a place that everyone feels is absolute paradise. Everyone here never wishes to leave and everyone here is free to do as they please. That is everyone but me. Since the day I was born my wings were torn away from my back and I have never been able to fly. Every step I take is within a small cage. I am trapped. But today I'm going to change all of that. Today one of the pirate ships are leaving Island and today I'm going to join the crew. Not as the woman I am but as a male.

I removed the knife I hid from beneath my mattress and chopped off my many strands of honey colored hair. I've never been aloud to make my own decisions but I am going to forcefully do so. I witnessed as my hair floated gently down around me as if they were the feathers of my wings. I raced over to my wardrobe and removed one of the shirts my brother gave to me when he decided to assist me in my escape and pulled it on over my head. I put a pair of trousers on and walked over to my mirror. I looked very much like a man except for one factor, my chest. I removed the shirt once more and wrapped bandaging around my chest to make it appear flat. I put the shirt back on and inspected my new appearance. I pulled in a pair of boots and opened the window of my room.

Out of the cage I soared. I clung on to the tree outside my room and began to climb down only to mess up my footing and down I began to plummet to the ground. I landed on the soft bed of sand beneath me and quickly hopped back up to my feet. I ran off to the ports to see the departing ship and crew.

I arrived 10 minutes after my escape and I confronted the captain. Or at least I think he was the Captain. The man was tall like a giant and seemed as if he could crush my 4' 7" body.
"Excuse me? But I would like to join your crew!" I said in my soft voice with full confidence and strength boldly standing behind it. "I may not be experienced but I can learn!" I straightened my back and held up my head high enough to look into the mans eyes. "So please do take me along and make me a part of your crew."

The captain of the Red Witch awoke to an obtrusive knock on the door. Everybody knows he isn't to be awaken, and he knows that everybody will pay when this conversation is done. He limped slowly towards the door of his cabin and roughly pulled it open, revealing a young, skinny lad with bright, eager eyes. His milk-white eye stole a quick glance around the deck, finding no one on board, but the giant kegs of ale and rum. His crew was probably underneath, polishing the canons and sweeping the mess they had made last night. "Those scoundrels, where are they when you need them?" he muttered under his breath.

Stroking his ashen grey beard, Rouge halfheartedly listened to the lad's plea for admittance. He looks incompetent, but they are in need of men. Men to sweep the damnable floors, he reasoned. "Fine, fine," he gruffed, limping back to his desk. "Go look for Thorne and Raven, boy. They're probably at the trader's market, or underneath the deck. I don't have time to teach younglings." With that, he sat himself on his wooden chair and propped his leg, and his wooden one, upon the mahogany desk. "And close the darn door when you leave. God knows no one is ever smart enough to close it."

--

"I can't believe we're leavin' a'ready Thorne! Lookit all this!" Raven swept his arms around the busy market, indicating the food, curiosities, and the women. "Rouge is a'ways grumpy these days. Prolly cause he's loosin' his good eye." Nathaniel Thorne could only nod in agreement. They had only been in the island for one night, when the captain ordered them to prepare for sea on the very next day. He had barely gotten any sleep last night, due to the rowdy bar fight he and Raven had started. "Ah well, we got what we wanted don't we?" Thorne asked, grinning. He dangled the ruby necklace before Raven's hazel eyes. The fair-haired young man grinned back. "Yes we do. I could only 'magine the look on Vonegutt's wife's face." With that, he began to curl up his fingers, imitating claws, and started hissing like a cat. Thorne smiled at his friend's fairly accurate representation. "He's the master of this island anyway," he said, "I think he can buy her 'nother one."

After a quick drink, Raven pulled Thorne along with him back to the ship. "Best get goin' before the captian awakes." With a quick nod, Thorne stepped on board and lowered the masts.

I nodded and exclaimed, "Yes sir! Thank you! And do not worry I will be sure to always close the door behind myself!" I ran out the room and made sure I closed the door behind me. I stared out at the ship and decided to explore a bit. I ran around the ship and even peaked down below the deck. It was amazing and it was my first time experiencing being on a ship and encountering a man with a beard. Once I came back up to the main deck I looked out upon the ocean. It was sparkling due to the rays of sun. It was more beautiful than ever before. Maybe it was because I was no longer suffocating in that place everyone in this cruel world expected me to call home. It was nothing but a prison and my brother was my only friend he was like my cell-mate within the small cage.

I remembered going out to town a few months ago. I felt as if I were a dog that was attached to a collar and a chained leash. It was if I only came outside to be put out on display. It felt as if the longer I spent time outside the tighter and tighter the collar became. I felt as if I were choking and being smothered to the point of dying. Ever since that day I never wanted to go out again unless I was out alone without having attendants surrounding me preventing from talking to others.

I was suddenly taken away from my thoughts as I heard the voices of two men who boarded the ship. I followed the sounds of their voices only to find another giant alongside with a boy with caramel colored eyes. I stared in awe as the two lowered the masts of the ship. When I finally bought myself back to reality I ran over to the two men only to slip and clumsily fall onto my face with only the sound of a thud following.
"Ouch!" I said as I rubbed my face. I stood up once more and continued my journey over to the men. "Hello!" I called in my soft voice. "Are you both by any chance Raven and Thorne?" I asked taking a step closer. I looked up at the second giant and then to the boy with hazel eyes.

Out of the corner of his eye the dark haired young man noticed a sudden movement followed by a thud. He glanced back, spotting someone running towards them. Thorne decided to casually ignore the clumsy stranger, and busied himself with the rigging. "Hey there!" Raven wiped the wavy strands of hair out of his eyes and turned to greet the stranger. "Yes we are. I'm Raven, and that sullen guy over there is Thorne. As prickly as his name. Who might you be and what can we do for you?" As Raven talked with the young man, Thorne rolled up the anchor and let the sails catch wind. The crew finally came up on board when the ship started to idly creep out away from the harbor. "Better tell him to jump off before it's too late," Thorne said, "Otherwise, he'll have to swim towards the shore."

"You heard 'im," Raven said to the stranger, "unless you want to swim with the sharks." This earned a couple of chuckles from the crew, who helped secure the anchor and set up the stools and tables. "Kid's got barely nuthin!' Sharks would avoid 'im like the plague," a thick man with hairy arms shouted from across the deck. "Aye, aye!" The rest chanted in unison. "What's your business here boy?" Another asked, "You lost kid? Pirate ship's no place for you lot with thin bones. Come back when you got meat in them!" He patted the stranger a bit hardly at the back before going under the deck.

Raven pulled the young man away from the crew, leading him to the edge of the ship. "Sorry 'bout that. My mates can be pretty though at times." He lifted him up pretty easily and sat him down on the ship's railing. "You're pretty light," Raven said in astonishment, "Anyway, you hafta go. Like I said, there can be sharks when we're far off. We can do business when-- if," he corrected himself, "we come back. "

I smiled to Raven as he introduced himself and responded, "I'm Angel! Angel Jones and starting..." I had almost finished explaining myself when the man named Thorne stated something rude. "Hey!" I exclaimed in my defense. I began to pout as I was swept away into the current waves of everyone's doubts.

When Raven took me off to the side I was boiling with anger at this point.
"I'm a member of this crew like everyone else here today! And if none of you believe me go and ask the captain!" The shrill of my scream backfired a bit on be as it pierced my ears. I fell to my knees on the deck and sat there. "The Captain even told me to find you and Thorne! He said something about him not having time to teach me." I crossed my arms childishly and continued to pout.

I finally picked myself up to my feet and said,
"If you don't want to help me I'll try to figure things out myself! And don't worry I can swim if I fall overboard but if anyone continues to doubt me and I die at any point on this ship I promise that I will haunt you into your afterlife! You all are mean!" Whether or not anyone said anything to me I was beyond even continuing to speak with them. I stormed off to search for a mop and a broom. I tripped over a nail that was sticking out of the wood on the deck and quickly stood to my feet and brushed myself off. I was use to falling by now but I'm pretty sure that one day my wings will return and I'll soar higher than anyone could ever expect of me to on my own. I will show everyone that I'm capable of taking care of myself. The only things I'm good for right now is cooking and cleaning.

I finally found the bucket of water, the broom, scrub brush, rag, and mop. I dragged the bucket and the scrub brush out to the deck and headed below the deck. I began scrubbing all of the floors in the rooms below. I dragged the water back up to the main deck and dumped the dirty water out into the ocean. I set the supplies I used back where I found them and dashed off to search for the kitchen. I never once said a word to the people who were suppose to now be a part of the same crew as myself. It made me angry that they would all would assume something about me before they even tried to allow me to finish saying as I pleased.

The rest of the crew went silent and simply shrugged as they resumed their work. The sun is finally starting to rise high in the sky, and the winds are pulling the ship's sails favorably towards the north. The captain's cabin is the only place where there's no sign of activity. Raven ran a tanned hand through his golden curls and thought better of following their new crew mate. "Whadd'ya make of that?" he asked Thorne while setting up the tableware for breakfast. Thorne set down the mugs and shrugged. "Well at least he can swim. To be honest, I don't want no ghost running around. All that whining would keep me up in the night." Raven playfully punched Thorne's shoulder, telling him that their new crew mate had about enough of the jokes and teasing. "You know, if I were him, I would've killed myself first chance I get." Thorne laughed at Raven and punched him back. "Says the boy who wept. I heard you cried like a babe when you first met us." He left Raven alone to set up the tables and headed under the deck, towards the kitchen.

Thorne saw something honey-colored at the corner of his eye. He turned back and spotted Angel Jones heading towards the wrong side of the ship. "So you've never been aboard a ship?" Thorne called out to him, "The kitchen's this way near the forecastle. Head that direction and you'll find yourself at the mouth of a cannon." He walked towards him and grabbed him by the wrist, pulling him towards the opposite end. He glanced back down at his hand, and wiped the odd thoughts away. Too thin, he wondered, looking at Angel's wrist.

After passing the crew's quarters, Thorne threw open the door to the kitchen. He led Angel inside and pointed to the door underneath the rug. "That's were the supplies are. You'll find everything you need in there." He ruffled Angel's hair and grabbed a bottle from one of the wooden cabinets. "If I were you, I'll join in on the fun and get used to it. Or you can just spit on their meals and deliver it with a smile. 'Least that's what I used to do." He grabbed a wooden stool and sat down, watching their new crew member while drinking his rum.

I was taken by surprise and led the correct way to the kitchen. He showed me where the other supplies were. I listened as he gave me advice and I finally muttered, "Thank you. I guess." I cleared my voice before speaking like I usually do and said, "I already found supplies elsewhere and I scrubbed the floors where your dirty boots just stepped on." I began to inspect my resources before adding, "Oh and I guess that means that you give me permission to spit and piss in your food as well." It was my first time using the word piss and I hoped I used it I'm the correct format. I smirked over at him acting as if I really knew I used the new vocabulary right.

I searched for a pot big enough to put fresh water and pickled meats into. It took me a while but I succeed in doing so. I filled the pot with fresh water before carefully removing pickled beef from its storage and placing enough pieces to feed myself and the crew into the fresh water. I did this to remove the excess salt from the meat before cooking it in the sandbox as I heard people on the Island call it.

When my brother and I snuck out together we heard stories and instructions on how to cook on a pirates ship. I've never made a fire in my life so I didn't know how but either way I was going to have to figure it out sooner or later. I placed the pot and meat to the side and began looking for the bread and seeking for limes. I glanced over at the dark haired giant. The first word that came to mind when I saw him was night. His eyes were as dark as his hair. Every time I peered into his eyes it was as if the two dark pools were drawing me into him. I then broke away from his hypnotizing eyes and went back to my work in the kitchen.

I found the limes and the bread and set them aside as well while I let the meat sit in the water. I exited the lower deck and adventured back onto the main deck to see the sun was setting. The darkness to night began to over power the bright fighting flames of day. It was a beautiful sight to witness as the waves gently danced to the war above. After living on that island for so many years that was the first time I've ever seen something this extraordinary. My face held a happy child like expression. I smiled over at the rest of the crew and shouted, "Maybe now you all won't be so rude since I'm the one who'll be cooking all the food you put in your mouths and I'll be cleaning where you all lay your heads at night. But if you are rude I think you need to watch you back, anyway I'm Angel and it's nice to meet you all!" I didn't know whether it was the beautiful scenery around me that changed my mood or the fact that Thorne isn't too bad but either way I think my wings slowly began to develop once more .

Thorne frowned down on his boots and smiled at Angel. "Thanks for taking the time to notice my dirty boots," he said while standing up and walking around the kitchen, trailing dust and grease in his wake. "I'll be taking that as a compliment." He sat back down and studied the young man. Angel Jones has short fair hair complete with clean shirt, trousers, and boots; just like a regular Sitrian folk. However, there is something off about him that kept tugging at Thorne's mind. What is it? He shook his head and wiped the thought away with a swig of rum.

"You could do that," he replied with a raised brow, "but don't count on me being nice to you. Maybe the next day you'll wake up completely bald and naked in front of the crew." He returned his smirk, watching him completely out of amusement. Now that kitchen and cleaning duty is all filled up, Thorne has nothing else to do. The thought of just lazing around all day while drinking sent a small smile on his face. He grabbed the ruby pendant off of his belt and dangled it between his fingers. A couple more of these and I could finally see her again, he thought. His quiet reverie was broken when he realized that he was alone. He fixed the necklace back on his belt and went back towards the main deck.

--

The door of the captain's cabin opened just in time when Angel made his statement to the crew. The captain of the Red Witch stifled a yawn as he headed towards his two main crewhand. "Who's that?" he asked Raven, motioning towards Angel. Raven simply smiled and put an arm around the captain's shoulders. "You just recruited him this morning," he replied while the rest of the crew introduced themselves to their new mate. "I did?" Rouge looked at Angel incredulously. The fair-haired young man could only nod to his captain. "By gods, the lad looks like a young woman! What did Thorne say? I thought you scoundrels would send him away." Thorne jumped down from the shroud next to the crow's nest. "He stays. He can sweep and cook." "Ah yes, I remember. Sweep those damnable floors."

Rouge limped his way towards Angel and shook his hand. "Welcome on board lad. Hope you'll find it comfortable in the crew's quarters. I reckon there's an empty bunk there somewhere. Otherwise, beg your mates to share the bed. They're nice fellas.I don't want none of my men sleepin' around the ship." He patted him on the back and took the ship's wheel. "To all of you! We're headin' towards Poseidon's Trident and all the way to Elba. Prepare for heavy rains and big waves after a fortnight." Rouge left the wheel to one of his men and sat down on one of the chairs. "Now where's my blasted dinner?"

I smiled brightly before responding to the Captain, " Why yes thank you sir! And your dinner will be finished soon I had to soak the beef in some fresh water to remove the excess salt. If I didn't you and everyone else on this ship would be sick for days. Please give me some more time and I'll be done with dinner for everyone." And with that said I dashed off to the kitchen dragging Thorne along with me. I began to remove the cured meat from the pot and placed the slices of meat onto a plate. I quickly gathered the remaining ingredients I needed and placed them down.

"Thorne can you please do me a favor and teach me how to create a fire in the sandbox?" I asked looking at Thorne as I removed a stockpot from one of the cabinets and ridding the first pot I used of the no longer usable water. I needed to be able to multi task and cook both the brine and cabbage at once. And by the time I'm done with cooking the beef it's self the cabbage should be done. It was a bit of a tricky task but I felt I could handle things.

I remembered that corned beef was the first dish I learnt how to make. I precisely remember the ingredients needed for the dish, how to serve it and what mistakes I should avoid. As I looked at Thorne I removed another plate from the cabinet and a knife from the drawer and began to slice three limes. Once I finished that task I swiftly plated the bread before chopping up the garlic.

-BlackRose.

"Smart lad," the captain remarked, "Now let's see if your cookin' is as sharp as your wit. Off with ye now!"

Thorne was both amused and surprised by the time they reached the kitchen. He was amused by the fact that Angel thought he could just lug him around, and surprised that that he actually did. He looked at Angel, deciding whether to answer his question seriously, or just make fun of him for being so naive. Their new crew mate was already chopping up garlic and finishing the last of the preparation when Thorne answered.

"Just like how you cook anywhere else," he replied, tossing fireboards taken from one of the cabinets. He arranged them carefully in the sandbox, setting a spindle in between the cypress boards. He sat down and started spinning it, creating an ember in the process. Thorne decided then and there to avoid mucking around with Angel Jones. After all, he's the one that cooks and cleans, and he definitely don't want to be back in those jobs. After the fire blazed higher, he turned his attention back to Angel.

"What's your story?" he asked, the fire making the shadows dance upon his features. "Ev'ryone has a story. Why did you join our ship?" Thorne stood up and leaned on the wooden wall, waiting for his answer. The ship by then had started to rock every so slightly, making the dishes in the shelves bump into each other. They are finally entering ways out deeper into the ocean.

"I've cooked on open flames but I've never started a fire before." I responded as I added water and a few ingredients to the first pot and placed it on the ballet of the flame. "The corned beef won't be served tonight but the cabbage will and I'll take a few of the other pieces of beef and just cook them on the embers." I was speaking to myself so I could keep tabs on all I was doing. I set the brine to a simmer and took out another stock pot. I filled a second stock pot with water and set the cabbage in there before setting the pot over the flame as well. I set half of the amount of beef I removed into the brine and left the other meat alone for the time being before finally responding to Thorne through the slight rattling and clanking of the dishes .

"Your right. Everyone does have a story."
I began as I took the brine off the fire and covered it before storing it away. I felt my eyes go cold in an instant.

"Before today I was a small bird trapped in a cage. Stripped of my wings and locked away. Slowly suffocating with every breath I would take in everyday. From the moment I wake up in the morning to the time I lay my head down on my pillow go to sleep at night they watched me. Even if I were to go out during the day on the Island I was escorted around and I was prohibited to talk to anyone who wasn't from my household. I hated being trapped!" I jabbed the knife I was using to cut the beef a bit more into the wooden counter. Just thinking about it angered me and I could feel my veins ready to pop as by blood began to boil. I removed the wedged knife from the counter and went back to cutting the meat and speaking. "My father always talking about money and how if I married my family would only receive more money. He only thought of me as a doll that he would dress in expensive clothes and showcased every time I was forced to leave my home. To tell you the truth I thought of it as a deep dark pit of hell."

I drew in a deep breath to relax my body, mind, and soul. I checked on the cabbage before throwing the meat onto the embers and cooking it. "The reason why I'm aboard this ship is clear. I would like to learn how to live independently and be free. I want to finally get my wings back and accomplish so much more than anyone could ever expect of someone as small as me and soar higher than anyone else. I wanted to take back my freedom. And now my war to keep on living has begun." I looked back at Thorne for the first time since I told him my story and showed him a soft smile full of my confidence and strength within, "I am free and my wings shall return to me. And when they do I will return to my home and take back all of anything else that belongs to me. I will visit my older brother and I will thank him for all of his help in giving me a chance to live how I want. I will thank him for allowing me to have a chance to have a choice and make my own decisions. I will show them that I survived and I will tell them that I have earned and redeemed my freedom and they no longer will be able to rob me of my spirit." I turned back to the beef and flipped it.

A few minutes later the beef was done cooking and so was the cabbage. I plated the beef and kept the cabbage in the pot. "Do you mind helping me carry the rest of the plates for everyone?" I asked Thorne as I put out the fire with saltwater and took the cabbage out to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back