(4/4) JV and the Big Game

I am not one to really talk a lot about myself OOC, but I thought I'd share a personal story of mine involving a hobby of mine. From what I have seen, not many of the people here are the sporty type. I play basketball OOC, and earlier this year, we had the best and largest game in the entire program.

Last year, an alumni was in a car accident, and is paraplegic for what may likely be the rest of his life. Our game was a fundraiser to help his family and generate support. It was a night completely dedicated to him, as he used to play for the team a few years ago. He was one of the players who everyone got along with, everyone looked up to, and someone everyone was inspired by.

Our opponent was a powerhouse. They were projected to win the local title for the best team in the region. They were 16:1 favorites over us, or something like that. Our team was winless on the season, having tons of injuries and setbacks. I have to say: this past season was the best one of all time, and a large part of it was definitely this game.

The player of the evening (who is named Avery) was honored by over 400 fans, the entire gym and out into the hallway were packed! He was honored pre-game by the school, coach, and teams. His family are some of the most amazing people ever, and it brought tears to their eyes seeing a packed gym full of supporting people.

The game started terrible. We quickly were down 36(?)-19 at halftime. The other team was out-rebounding us, shooting the lights out, and seemed unbeatable. Yet, we wanted to play on, for Avery. The third quarter horn sounded, meaning the game was about to start up again.

That's when the tide turned.

Basket, turnover, basket, steal, three-pointer. By the end of the third quarter, the score was only separated by a single point. The gym was shaking, it was so loud. People were on their feet.

With eight minutes left in the fourth quarter, my friend hit a three. 56-56, against a school that was expecting an easy win. The crowd erupted.

Sadly, the game ended in heartbreak. The final score: 72-63, after some cheap fouls were called. The moral of the story, however, is the overall result. We set a fundraising goal of 5000 dollars.

We raised 6800 dollars.

Personally, I reached a new career-high (21 points), while two of my teammates did amazing as well (20) and (14).

It is times like these which definitely inspire me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back