3 questions

Diamond Viper

1-Threefold binding of the Heart says it can bind anyone, but that anyone is entitled to an annual willpower roll on his/her birthday. Conisdering that, can it be used on Demons or Spirits? Sincwe they don't have a birthdate, does that mean it's forever?

2-Can Demons dematerialize in Creation? If a demon dies materialized, is it permanently destroyed?

3-Impassable Solar Barrier

Minimum Melee: 6

Minimum Essence: 6

Type: Simple

Cost: 7 motes, 1 W

Duration: 1 scene

Prequisite Charms: Fivefold Bulwark Stance

The Exalt can reproduce the effects of FFBS, adding his Essence to the parry pool. The cahrm allows parrying even unaware attacks AND attacks without physical components. Melee attacks parried are then subject to disarm, wjhile ranged attacks return with the remaining successes to the attacker

Is this Charm viable?

Ok only 2 replies, I'll leave charm viability to my betters.

1-First paragraph of Threefold binding's description in S&S says any Mortal target, mortal in Exalted I've always taken it to mean "can die of old age, rather than exclusively by violence" So I'd say no on hitting gods and demons with it.

2- yes Demons can dematerialize in creation, some of them dont really like to but yes they can. second part of that question, Material state doesnt affect death really, if its material and you kill it it dies and eventually reforms in Malfeas. If its immaterial and you kill it dies and eventually reforms in Malfeas. Permanently destroying a demon or any other spirit takes the use of special magics like Ghost-Eating Technique.

3.  Half of it.  I wouldn't give the Solar the ability to parry attacks without physical components, nor give it the disarm addition.  Perhaps, if you also remove the counterattack of ranged attacks, you could give the Charm the following powers:

1. Fivefold Bulwark Stance reproduction.
  2. Add Essence to the parrying pool.
  3. Parry unaware attacks.
  4. Maybe... MAYBE... allow the character to counterattack a number of attacks equal to her Essence.  But I don't see this one, really.

Viragos said:
1-First paragraph of Threefold binding's description in S&S says any Mortal target, mortal in Exalted I've always taken it to mean "can die of old age, rather than exclusively by violence" So I'd say no on hitting gods and demons with it.
Actually, "mortal" usually signifies a human who is neither god-blooded, nor Exalted. It has nothing to do with old age.

-S

true enough still, but in the case of threefold binding the next sentence goes on to explain its effects on Essence users. *thinks about what he just said* Alright point made, at this point I default to metaphysics to attempt to explain the spell effect. If you can use it on gods and demons then I'd say the following. Only the Neverborn i.e. Primordials were never born, All the gods were created at some later point to run the great engine that is creation, all elementals were also created at some point, meaning at least as far as spirits and elementals there is some 1 time a year definable "birthday" Demons are a little trickier in my view, as they are simply pieces of the Neverborn, First circles are spoken of as being spawned, which leads me to think they have a definable birthday as well, Second circles probably do also being facets of the Third Circle demons they are part of. Third Circles.... Though there are references to destroying Primordial Feitches in a couple locations in the books I dont know that they were necessarily ever really created. If you wanted to allow Threefold binding to work on a third circle (A violation of the surrender conditions in my opinion) then I would probably have every Third circle test on the same day of the year, the day the Yozi's surrendered to the gods, as that act redefined them and hence remade all their souls.

As an additional side note, using it on High level demons aint smart as sooner or later their parent Yozi can and probably will take control of them for a few minutes and break the spell into little shiny bits.

My further 2 cents.

I would use one of the days in Calibration as the default "birthday" for most gods and demons. For Elementals, I'd use the first day of the corresponding season.

-S

If I remember correctly, demons are naturally dematerial, like gods, and have to use the materialize charm to become material.

Stillborn said:
For Elementals, I'd use the first day of the corresponding season.
Personally, I would think it would be more fitting for an elemental to have her birthdate the 14th of the second month of their corresponding season.  But then again, that's just me and as most of us know, I'm no expert.

Stillborn said:
For Elementals' date=' I'd use the first day of the corresponding season.[/quote']
Personally, I would think it would be more fitting for an elemental to have her birthdate the 14th of the second month of their corresponding season.  But then again, that's just me and as most of us know, I'm no expert.
Why then?  

BTW, I would just use the anniversery of the casting of the spell to make things easier.

kakitashinsumi said:
Stillborn said:
For Elementals' date=' I'd use the first day of the corresponding season.[/quote']
Why then?  

BTW, I would just use the anniversery of the casting of the spell to make things easier.
Because I would think that is when the element is the strongest, in the middle of the middle month.  But like I said:  that's just me

Because I would think that is when the element is the strongest' date=' in the middle of the middle month.  But like I said:  that's just me[/quote']
Yes, but were you at your strongest at the moment of your birth? for your sake, I hope not.

Besides, there is no clean middle to any month in Creation, being an even number of days long. There is, however, a convenient and definite beginning to each season, and I view birthdays as a beginning.

-S

Perhaps I wasn't at the top when I was born.  Still, it is said that elementals are born from what ever materials are available.  That being said, wouldn't you say that that time would be when the element is the strongest.  My parents were not at their weakest time in their life when I was concieved (sp?).

Like I see it, elementals are created when their aspect is at its peak, not when it is at its weakest.  Basically, think of it as if fire is powerful enough to creat fire elementals at 14th of the second month of fire.

I think one should roll a 3-sided die to determine the month, and then a 28-sided die to determine the day.

That is, unless one has an 84-sided die, but those tend to be hard to come by.

-S

3-Impassable Solar Barrier
Minimum Melee: 6

Minimum Essence: 6

Type: Simple

Cost: 7 motes, 1 W

Duration: 1 scene

Prequisite Charms: Fivefold Bulwark Stance

The Exalt can reproduce the effects of FFBS, adding his Essence to the parry pool. The cahrm allows parrying even unaware attacks AND attacks without physical components. Melee attacks parried are then subject to disarm, wjhile ranged attacks return with the remaining successes to the attacker

Is this Charm viable?
Seiraryu said:
3.  Half of it.  I wouldn't give the Solar the ability to parry attacks without physical components, nor give it the disarm addition.  Perhaps, if you also remove the counterattack of ranged attacks, you could give the Charm the following powers:
  1. Fivefold Bulwark Stance reproduction.
  2. Add Essence to the parrying pool.
  3. Parry unaware attacks.
  4. Maybe... MAYBE... allow the character to counterattack a number of attacks equal to her Essence.  But I don't see this one, really.
 When you two are referring to attacks sans a physical component, do you mean normally unparryable attacks? Like the ones you have to resort to HGD to parry?

As for the charm itself, it doesn't have enough prereqs for the the abilities it encompasses. You really should have a few charms similar to the DBs' Vengeful Gust C-Attack tree in Solar form that lead up to this charm. Also, a few disarm-boosting charms are appropriate.

Other than those reservations, this charm is not unreasonable for an Essence 6 Solar charm. Compared to what the Siddies get, it's quite balanced...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back