• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

[1x1] Matched Together

Klutzy Ninja Kitty

The Fluffy Awwwsassin
Upper Class family A sends a letter to Upper Class family B--who lives in a town far away--a letter asking for their eldest son to be wed to their eldest daughter, and they will pay for this to happen. Both families agree. Upper Class family B is to travel to where Family A lives and drop their daughter off. But, on the way to visit family B, family A is attacked by bandits and everyone is killed except the grandfather. The grandfather, still wanting the money from the deal, recruits a young woman around his granddaughter's age to pretend to be her. But the girl he picks is a low class girl, sloppy, not used to manners, and was definitely not born to a rich family. Still, he brings her to Upper class family A anyhow, pretending she is his granddaughter and having her become engaged to their son, while quickly trying to train her to be an upper class woman and trying to hide her secret from them.

This is a private 1 x 1 roleplay between LittleDreamerOfSorts and Klutzy Kitty 09. If you are neither one of these two, feel free to peek, but do not post.

Read more about this role play... 
An elderly man--who was hairless on the top of his head, but had gray hair on the sides--was walking along a road late in the evening, cane in hand. His clothes were tattered and he had no money on him. Thankfully, he had identification on him to prove who he was to people who could help him regain his belongings in the next town. Still, this man cursed his bad luck. He was still in shock about how he, along with his family, had just been robbed by group of bandits. Unfortunately, he was the only one to survive. You'd think he would have been upset about losing his family, but no, this man--Earl Winsly of the wealthy, upper class Winsley family who lived a long way away--cared for one thing and one thing only. He only cared about money.

He had been traveling with his family because of a recent deal they had made with the Marzon family, another upper-class family of great wealth, that their oldest son was to be married to Earl Winsly's oldest granddaughter. They were just on their way to introduce themselves to the Marzon's when an untimely bandit attack took place. Normally, bandits were prone to simply take money and leave. However, these bandits--likely because they were in the mood to be crueler than usual--killed Earl's son, wife, and granddaughter. Earl was devastated. He cared little for their lives, but was very distraught by the fact he would now be unable to watch his granddaughter marry the Marzon family's son, and reap the rewards of money that family would pay them.

Earl walked and walked until he had reached the closest possible town, a poor town which went by the name of Little Oak. Upon entering he saw that most daily activity in the town was wrapping up for the day. Vendors selling fruit and vegetables were packing up, the blacksmith shop owner had just hung his closed sign, and the farmers were herding their animals back into their dwellings. Earl sighed. He would have to find his way to an Inn for the night if he was strong enough to make it there. He was so weak from not eating all day that he felt as if he were about to pass out.

He was grumpy though, and too frustrated at first to pass out. He was still dwelling over all the money he would be missing out on. "There has to be a way," he grumbled to himself, hitting the ground a little harder with his cane after every passing step. The determination he had caused his mind to race, and eventually an idea sprung to mind. What if... he could pretend his granddaughter was still alive? He didn't need to find people to replace her parents who died, he could just tell the Marzon family that they had gotten tied up with work and asked him to bring their daughter. All he needed to do was find a girl, one easily manipulated like one who was poor or had a sick relative, and promise to help her family if she agreed to pretend she was a noble and marry into the Marzon family. Earl liked the idea. All he had to do was find a girl that resembled her.

With these thoughts in mind, Earl continued to walk, but started to grow weaker. He made it to the front of a building--which could have either been an Inn or not have--and collapsed on the doorstep, actually fainting. The emblem of his family was clearly visible on the top of his cane which fell next to him, so anyone who found him would most likely be able to recognize him immediately.

(( @LittleDreamerOfSorts ))

Last edited by a moderator:
Ezra peered around the corner seeing the stranger on the doorstep. Her red hair was snarled, having not been brushed for at long while. A faded and patched up dress that might have been yellow or pink at one point, but was now a grayish tan color and fraying at the hems hung a bit short, not quite reaching her ankles. She could see the cane that fell to the ground. It looked expensive. The old man obviously came from money. It was rare to see anything worth stealing in the town which made the cane that much rare. She eyed the object thinking if she could get ahold of it, maybe she could trade it for one or two meals. Someone else, had the same idea. She turned her head watching a boy sneaking up behind the old man.

Ezra raced up and shoved the boy onto his back and kicked him in the side. She gripped her hands into fists, which she held up in case he decided not to run. She stomped her feet a few times stepping forward until he raced off. She lowered her hands from her dirt smeared faced and turned around picking up the cane from the ground greedily with her grimy fingers.

Unconscious for several minutes, Earl was unaware of the boy who had gotten close to taking his cane and the girl who had actually gotten her hands on it. He sat up, rubbing the back of his head and cursing lightly under his breath when he woke up a bit later. He awoke to the read-headed girl standing before him, holding his cane with her dirty fingers. He wrinkled his nose and swatted at her, a bit confused. "Isabella, let go of grandpa's cane this instant!" He paused, realizing he had just confused this girl for his granddaughter. She did look a bit like her. Even so, Earl was feeling a bit irritated.

"Blast it, give me my cane you little wench! I've already had most of my belongings handled and taken today, I will not stand to see you with my cane!" What frustrated Earl the most was that he knew he probably couldn't take it back from her even if he tried. He was still feeling weak from earlier. He sighed and glanced down. "Oh forget it. You can likely take it with little I can do about it." He glanced up to her again, getting another look at her. She really did look a lot like his granddaughter. That's when an idea popped into his head.

"But instead of stealing from me, perhaps helping me would be a better option. I'm wealthy, I could make it worth your while." He wasn't sure if the girl would just run off despite his words or not. She looked a bit wild and he couldn't help but wonder if she had ever bathed a day in her life.

"My name ain't Isabella" Ezra answered quickly with a bit of anger in the undertone of her voice as the old man commanded that she give hint he cane. She had turned quickly to face him, having been caught off guard by his voice. "I'm sure you won't be able to stand anyways as I've got your cane." she retorted using his words against him. Her hazel eyes that appeared grey and almost vacant of color narrowed coldly toward the man. She didn't like the sudden change in expression. It was as if he had suddenly found a use for her. She was used to being told what a waste of space she was, so it couldn't be anything good he had in mind. Gripping the cane tightly, she held it up, ready to strike him if he tried anything. "Yeah, like I haven't heard that before. I ain't going to send me to no orphanage or no workhouse." she stated trying to make that fact very clear. She took up a defensive stance contemplating bolting. She had learned to avoid fights, but she was sure she could take the old man if he tried anything.

"Hmph, now why would I do that?" he grumbled, struggling to try and stand up. It was no use, however, without his cane. "I care little about sending children to workhouses or orphanages. The only thing I care about is a big investment I lost, which I could use some assistance getting back. When I mean I intend to make it worth your while, I meant more like a comfortable life with free meals, clean clothes, and all the gold you can spend. I'll just need for you to help me and give me my cane back." He wrinkled his nose looking at her. He didn't like the way her words came out so unrefined, but that was something he could work on with her if she agreed to help him.

Ezra was not one to trust easily, but she did lower the cane deciding the old man was not acting weak, he really was that way. Still, she had no intention of being caught by a silver tongue. "What big investment?" she asked, deciding to check out his story. Although having asked that question, she probably had already ensured herself in the trap that had been set before her. She tired to play it off as if it wasn't curiosity that led to to ask the question, but a way to send another insult in his direction. "Did someone steal your wallet, as well, while you was napp'n in the dirt?"

Earl was pleased when the dirty girl made the right choice and lowered his cane back down to him. He took it gratefully, using it to slowly return to his feet. He snorted at her rude comment about his wallet, chosing to ignore it for the time being. "I'll tell you about the investment somewhere more private if you're interested. It would be unwise to talk about it out in the open where others could hear of it and want to steal this oportunity from you. But I assure you, this deal will give you a comfortable life for the rest of your days." He glanced around, trying to figure out where in the town he was. "If you would be so kind as to take me to the town inn or tavern, I will buy you some dinner and I will explain it to you."

Ezra frowned when the old man somehow managed the only leverage she had over him and take his cane back. She shook her head folding her arms across her chest. "No way am I going nowhere private with nobody." she stated. She wasn't about to let him corner her into anything. She was going to certain of what she was getting herself into. She dropped her hands behind her back a bit embarrassed by his last suggestion. "I aint allowed in the tavern no more." she admitted. One of the workers had caught her stealing and had made sure she was unable to ever set foot back in the place since. Sometimes she had badger a younger kid into sneaking something out for her, but she wasn't about to risk another trip in there herself.

Earl huffed, frustrated slightly with how difficult this child was to work with. She stood so unrefined and spoke with no manners or proper language whatsoever. She was most certainly going to take a lot of work if she agreed to work with him. "Fine then, lead me to a place you haven't been kicked out of so we may speak. As I said, I won't speak about this matter in public. It doesn't need to be in total private, just out of hearing distance of most people. If you don't believe in me, then you must not have realized I am a member of the Winsley family. We are known for our wealth and I'm not bluffing when I say I have the means to help you." If she turned him down he could always look for another poor child to use. He most certainly had his pick of children in this filthy town.

Ezra turned without another word and headed down the road, expecting him to follow. She rolled her eyes annoyed with the fact that he expected her to obey his every command. She wasn't used to being told what to do, nor would she put up with it. She led him down a few alley ways, purposely twisting and turning her way through the town. She suddenly lifted up a wooden paneling on the side of a house and slipped inside. She poked her head out a moment late. "You come'in gramps?" she asked before pulling her head back inside.

Confused at first when Ezra left, Earl wasn't sure if he should follow her or not. He decided, however, to follow her when she seemed to be going slow enough. He walked along after her, using his cane for support and panting the entire time. He was already tired so it was a struggle to walk especially when she wound her way around through several different alley ways and paths. He complained under his breath for her to slow down, but it was so quiet she probably hadn't heard him. When they finally arrived to the house he was surprised to see her enter through the side of the paneling rather than the front door. "I'm coming, I suppose," he huffed, wrinkling his nose in disapproval of the dwelling. "Don't tell me this is your... residence?" he questioned, following her inside. He stood stiff once he was inside, not liking how dirty the area was.

Ezra shook her head. "I ain't about to show you where I live." She walked into a vacant and dusty room. She pulled a chair away from the wall and sat down staring at him. "We come here to eat or to hide or to talk." She informed him. She could tell he was tired, but she didn't offer him help with a chair. She wanted to make him as uncomfortable as possible, so he didn't feel like he held all the cards.

When Ezra moved the chair, a cloud of dust flew off it, causing Earl to choke. He coughed for several moments before clearing his throat and moving to lean against a wall. "Hmph, very well. I can't say I like this place very much, but it will have to do." He cleared his throat again, gathering his thoughts for a moment before telling Ezra the deal. "So this is what I plan to offer you, girl. Today, I had been traveling with my family to take my granddaughter to meet the wealthy young lad she was going to wed. However, they were all killed by bandits. I wish for you to pose as my granddaughter and come with me to meet the young lad and his family. I would like for you to marry him in her place so that I will still get the money their family agreed to give mine. You will not only gain some of this money, but you will also gain the comfort and security that comes with being part of a family with great wealth. So, girl, what do you have to say about this deal?" Such a rude and dirty girl didn't really seem the type to be be interested in marriage, but maybe the idea of having money and food would be enough to convince her. Arranged marriages weren't just about the union, after all.

Ezra rubbed her nose on the back of her hand while thinking it over. Having a roof over her head, well a reliable one would be nice and not having to worry about food would be even nicer. There were so many pluses, she was sure they outweighed the negatives. But then she thought about the marriage part of it. She didn't know the boy or his family or what would be expected of her. She didn't like taking orders and if that family was anything like the man in front of her, they sure liked to give them. The old man didn't seem to sad about the murder of his family which led her to wonder if his story was even credible. "What's he like?" she asked trying to get at least one of her questions answered, and maybe she would be able to pick up on any lies.

"Let me think," the old man said, lightly tapping on his cane with his pointer finger. In all honesty he didn't know too much about the young man. He had seen him maybe once or twice when he attended dinner at his family's residence, but a couple of times wasn't enough to give her a lot of information on him. Still, Earl knew he had to tel her something or she wouldn't be pleased. "He's tall, blonde, and has blue eyes. I believe he likes to ride horses. He is also well mannered. So if you agree to this, we will have to work on your manners and perhaps your horse riding skills." Earl cringed just picturing how this girl would probably ride a horse. For all he knew, she would try to ride one normally, not side-saddle like a proper lady should.

Ezra watched as more and more demands began to slip out into the open. She was sure that as soon as she agreed the list would grow and grow and probably never stop. She chewed on her cheek thinking over his offer. There hadn't been any other offer to get out of her current situation and there probably wouldn't be one again. "Alright, I'll do it." she agreed to his offer. "But after I is married to whoever he is, I ain't got to listen to you no more."

Earl chuckled at her comment. He didn't really like this girl much, but at least she had some spunk. "You may run away after you marry him for all I care. I just would like to be assured I have the money first." He pushed himself off against the wall, using the cane to support his weight with one hand while extending the other hand to her for Ezra to shake. "Do we have a deal then? If you are absolutely sure you are interested in this, please meet me at the front of the inn tomorrow morning and we will prepare for the rest of the trip."

Ezra nodded standing up and placed her hand in his, shaking it firmly. "I'll be there." She agreed. She real eased his hand and wiped her hand on her skirts as if grossed out, that he left some slime or something on her hand. She turned and headed for the exit of the dusty room. Her mind was still turning, trying to decide if she made the right decision.

"We shall see," Earl replied when she seemed so confident about her agreement. He wrinkled his nose when she wiped her hand off on her skirt, shaking his head in disapproval. He didn't say anything in response to her action though. "I will be at the inn if you have any more to discuss with me." The old man hoped she would leave him alone for the night though. He wanted to get some rest. If he was going to have a long day of dealing with this girl ahead of him tomorrow, he would most certainly need the energy. Earl left in search of the inn.

The next morning, Earl awoke from the room he had bartered for at the inn. It was tough to be given a room when all his money had been stolen, but thankfully he ran into an old friend who allowed him to use a room. Earl's friend gave him the good news that all his stolen belongings had actually been found and the bandits had been captured. He promised Earl he would have the items delivered to him at the inn the next morning. So when the next morning rolled around, Earl made his way out of the room and went to the front of the inn to wait for his belongings and also to see if the girl from the other day would come to see him.

Ezra headed up the stop to the inn. She bit into the muffin she stole from the bakery that morning. It was pretty easier to hide the baked good behind her back when no one was looking. She did have some help with a distraction when a spoiled child screamed that he couldn't have a brownie or something. No one payed attention to the girl with the unpaid muffin as she slipped out of the shop. She pushed open the door to the inn and looked around for the old man, swallowing the large bite she had taken before diving in for another.

Tapping his cane on the ground impatiently, Earl cried out to his friend who worked at the inn. "When will my personal items be delivered! If you want to be rewarded with even a dime for helping me you had better hurry!" Just as he had finished scolding his friend, the door to the inn opened, and in came the girl from yesterday.

"Sloppy," he mumbled under his breath, watching her swallow part of her muffin. He didn't even want to comment on the crumbs all over her mouth. Earl walked up to her though, looking her over from head to toe. "So you decided to show up after all. I hope you have any belongings that you own on your person, because within the next two hours you'll be leaving town with me, and by this afternoon you will have met the young lad you will wed." He paused, glancing to his friend once more, but continued speaking to Ezra. "What name do you go by, child? While I wait for my belongs to brought to me, you'd best tell me a bit about yourself."

Ezra patted the faded flayed bag that was slung over her shoulder having already thought that part through. "It's Ezra" she answered honestly. She didn't have a last name or couldn't remember it. She turned to the "friend" the old man kept turning to. "Who's that?" she asked curiously. She took another bite of her muffin. "What you wanna know?"

Earl glanced to his friend when Ezra questioned who he was. "This lad is the son of a man I befriended long ago. He helps me from time to time, and he is helping me today by having my recovered stolen belongings brought here this morning." He watched her bite into her muffin, sighing. "I believe what you mean to say is: What do you want to know?" The old man knew he would have to start correcting her speech now and again. If she spoke like a girl from the streets, the wealthy family he would be staying with would see right through her identity. "This is what I would like to know. What do you know of manners? Anything? I can see that you don't apply them in your life, but do you know enough manners to at least act? If you don't, I will have to quickly teach you a bit before you meet the young man." It was possible that she would be difficult to tame, however. If that were the case, he could always blame her behavior on a head injury from the bandit attack.

Ezra rolled her eyes and licked her fingers having finished her muffin before wiping her hands on her skirts. "My name is Ezra, sir and how do you do?" she asked and pulled out her skirt into a small curtsy. "What a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance." She folded her arms across her chest. "You mean like that stuff?" she asked "Manners ain't gonna get you no respect 'round here. Besides putting on manners feels silly. Ain't no one really mean what they say when they is using manners. How you supposed to know if you like someone if all you've got in their name?"

Earl eyed her critically when Ezra put on her little display of what she liked to call manners. It wasn't perfect, but he could teach her off what she already knew so long as she was willing to cooperate. "Well, Ezra, we aren't going to be around here much longer. And manners is important where we're going. So I suggest you quickly become good at acting that you do have good manners. At least until before you get maried."

The old man turned his attention to the door after a moment, a smile of approval spreading across his face when he saw his belongings being brought in one by one. "Now then, Ezra, come with me. It appears my friends are bringing in my belongings. While they take care of that, we are going to buy you a new dress and have you quickly groomed. Come along," he said, turning to the door.

Little did Earl know, however, that the eldest son of the Marzon family was actually making his way into town. He had come to deliver a package for his grandmother and to also see if he could sneak a peek at the woman he was to marry before she even arrived. The young man was tall, slender, and had a head of blonde hair just as the old man had told Ezra. With his blue eyes he looked down at the white horse he was riding, realized he just about blended in with its coat because of the white vest he was wearing.

"I know father inisists, but I would much rather wear a more noble vest. Perhaps a vest of blue with gold trim would suit me well," he thought to himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back