• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion 18+ Marker?

gingerwayne

persistently inconsistent, probably a cryptid
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't really sure where else to put it.

I have an idea for a feature that could make finding RP partners/participants for group RPs much easier. Many RPers on here are not comfortable RPing with minors, which is perfectly fine. However, this does become a little annoying for those of us under 18 who have to scroll through a ton of search pages before finding a partner. What I'm suggesting is a way to mark interest checks/search threads/RP threads as 18+. Then, if someone did not want to see those threads, they could filter them out along with the rest of the filters in the interest check forums. This would also avoid confusion over whether or not threads that don't specify are friendly to minors or not.

I'm not suggesting that this be a prefix, but rather a separate thing entirely, that could be checked on or off for both the person posting the thread and those viewing the thread list i.e. "Make thread 18+? [Check box here]" for the creation of the thread and "Include 18+ threads? [Check box here]" for the thread list.

I have absolutely no experience making a website, but I think that if this feature is possible, it would streamline the process of finding partners for everyone.

Thanks for reading! :)

Uh, the site's a PG-13 site tho.
We aren't PG-13, but we also aren't on HBO levels of MA either.

gingerwayne gingerwayne The problem is some may interpret 18+ as permitting content which is against the site's Community Guidelines (sexual content). It's better for people to state they want 18+ because of a discomfort with RPing with minors as just a 18+ tag wouldn't convey that context.

We aren't PG-13, but we also aren't on HBO levels of MA either.

gingerwayne gingerwayne The problem is some may interpret 18+ as permitting content which is against the site's Community Guidelines (sexual content). It's better for people to state they want 18+ because of a discomfort with RPing with minors as just a 18+ tag wouldn't convey that context.
ah that makes sense. thanks anyway!

I had to do a double take when I read the title because I automatically thought 18+ as in mature context. Maybe hashtags for age ranges? Although... that wouldn’t really change the whole 18+ issue so... never mind me 😂

I've seen this happen to RP sites before; whenever 18+ tags get introduced, the forums just get swarmed with softcore erotica ads. People tend to correlate 18+ with rated R and think that it's okay for them to do content that goes against the site's rules, simply because "there's no risk if the other party is 18!"

I think it's a liability thing, honestly. Without a surefire way to validate people's age, the kids will continue to bypass 18+ requirements through deceit. Ignorance does not equal innocence, at least when it comes down to an adult writing sexual content with who they thought was another adult. There's all kinds of examples of this dilemma in Tinder cases. Guy meets up with person who he thought was 19, girl was actually 16, he goes to jail.

I've seen this happen to RP sites before; whenever 18+ tags get introduced, the forums just get swarmed with softcore erotica ads. People tend to correlate 18+ with rated R and think that it's okay for them to do content that goes against the site's rules, simply because "there's no risk if the other party is 18!"

I think it's a liability thing, honestly. Without a surefire way to validate people's age, the kids will continue to bypass 18+ requirements through deceit. Ignorance does not equal innocence, at least when it comes down to an adult writing sexual content with who they thought was another adult. There's all kinds of examples of this dilemma in Tinder cases. Guy meets up with person who he thought was 19, girl was actually 16, he goes to jail.
yeah that checks out. i was assuming everyone would still follow the rules but probably not realistically.

Nah,

I watch 18+ scenes in movies, My mom and Father don't naturally care, I don't usually get Interfered in the Sexual scenes in Roleplays due to me being a Christian (mostly). I just want it to where you can meet people your own age Instead of a 50 year old man.

Nah,

I watch 18+ scenes in movies, My mom and Father don't naturally care, I don't usually get Interfered in the Sexual scenes in Roleplays due to me being a Christian (mostly). I just want it to where you can meet people your own age Instead of a 50 year old man.

You can also put an age maximum in your list of requirements? It goes both ways. I don't suppose anyone will tut at you disapprovingly for saying "under 18 only" when "over 18 only" is perfectly acceptable.

I don't necessarily care for those years older than me, But if you a creepy peeper *Opens the door.*

yeah but you're assuming that people wouldn't just use 18+ RPs for rather vulgar content

Then don't call it 18+, call it "no Minors" or "I'm An Adult" or anything else that clearly defines it without overlapping with known NSFW tags.

OR Like other sites I'm on restrict a single forum that can only be seen by people registered to the site who are 18/21+ (have their birth date public) and opt into viewing the forum. And if you're scared teenager are going to lie about their age, 1) they already do that now, 2) there are US laws that protect sites and owners from stuff like that, 3) you can still keep that forum SFW, but it allows adults to safely make searches knowing they are only being approached and seen by other adults. And if you want to be nice to them, a little treat, they can even post slightly racier stuff, not full on ERP, but they can write more than just a kiss fade to black.

Which I understand and I know will NEVER HAPPEN for legal reasons, google algorithm reasons, and because that just isn't what RPN was made for . . . and there are other sites for that (as I have been informed when I asked once myself).

Realistically, why can't people just manually put (18+) in the title of their RP ad? It takes half a second of effort on your part as opposed to a massive headache for the site owners/admins. This seems like an overly complicated solution for a simple problem.

Realistically, why can't people just manually put (18+) in the title of their RP ad? It takes half a second of effort on your part as opposed to a massive headache for the site owners/admins. This seems like an overly complicated solution for a simple problem.
yeah but then people might turn it into a creepy ERP.

yeah that's the easier solution but not many people do that unfortunately

True. True.

Its like Playing Fallout: New Vegas and you go into the Strip. Its rated 18+ for a reason.

Because if you do honestly I'm certain a mod will punish you for it. I once said "18+ users only" in my thread because I don't RP with children and a mod told me I can't ask for NSFW RP when nothing in my thread asked for NSFW RP I was only saying I don't RP with kids cuz like if you're 15 you're more than half my age . . . NO THANK YOU!

So yeah most people don't because it is simply risky in terms of this site and how their rules work.

yeah but then people might turn it into a creepy ERP.

ERP the devil I guess . . . it's weird being on this site I've never seen a site so vehemently against anything nsfw, it's like being in church again!

Also the key word is MIGHT and the truth is honestly you're worried about nothing at all.

Hey guys, I don't want to discourage this discussion, but this was a suggestion thread. :3 If you want to continue you can start up a PM or a new thread in the correct section. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back