Mission 02: Homeward [One Man Army]

After you leave and are a short distance from the headquarters you are approached, from behind, by a human. He comes close and tries to disctreetly het your attention, his pace half running to keep up with you. He wears an enforcers uniform, and judging by the markings on it, he is rather highly ranked.

"My lord!" He puffs as he catches up to you. "I am Verius Clasm, until recently I was the cheif enforcer under Governor Sarthol! I need to speak to you, about the Arbiters and the dissapearances! But we need to be out of sight, please follow me!" Clasm runs into a nearby alley.

Clasm speaks quickly, with a nervous fidgit, as if he expects something terrible to happen at any moment.

"We investigated the dissapearances. The only thing they had in common, aside from the illness, was that the pontiff of the local Ecclesiarachal mission administered last rites personally. We began to investigate quietly, because such a powerful individual is hard for local enforcers to prosecute.

"When the Arbites arrived we happily handed over evidence, thinking that the Emperors justice reaches all. Instead the men i had on the case were executed on charges of corruption and herest. Fifteen men executed thus far. I was removed from my post for incompetence and the investigation has stalled, as if the Arbiters are in on it with the pontiff..."

Clasm pauses. "If they know I have said this they will kill me, I know it."

Just then you recognize the voice of the lead Arbiter, who accosted you earlier. "Verius Clasm, in the name of the Emperor you are under arrest for heresy and perverting imperial law!"

Clasm looks at you, pleading. "Dont let them take me!"

Tarlocke grabbed the enforcer and pulled him none too gently (albeit only unavoidably roughly) behind his own massive frame. He addressed the Arbiter. "How has he perverted Imperial Law?" he demanded of the man. "By seeking justice for the Emperor's subjects? By following the leads he have in this pursuit of justice?"

Clasm grunted at the force of your protective measures.

"He wishes to accuse a Holy Pontiff of the Ecclesiarchy of Terra of the recent vanishings! Such a desire clearly shows his traitorous and heretical nature! Now stand aside marine, lest you corrupt yourself by giving the wretch aid he does not deserve!"

The Arbiter was quickly joined by his three cohorts.

"Have you questioned the Holy Pontiff about his interest in the victims of the disease?" Tarlocke countered. "Whether he is guilty or not, there is clearly some connection."

Last edited by a moderator:
"How can you, a son of the Immortal Emperor even countenance such a thought?" The Arbite was clearly almost offended by the notion. "Perhaps it is that you have been claimed by corruption?" The Arbite pauses briefly, "you have not heard the last of this!" And then he spins on his heel and walks angrily away. He has either decided that you are innocent, or that he needs more men. It is obvious that were a conflict to start, he would quickly end up as a smear on the ground.

In the Arbite's absence, Clasm creeps out from behind you. "Many thanks, milord. I'm going to find a place to hide until they," he nods in the direction the Arbiters went, "move along."

You move to the governors palace unimpeded and are granted a private audience with him.

"What have you uncovered in so short a time?" Sarthol inquires.

"Your enforcers uncovered evidence that connect a pontiff to the disappearances. The Arbiters dismissed their claims and had them executed for heresy," Tarlocke declared.

Sarthol looks at you intently.

"Consider your next words very carefully, lord Tarlocke. To accuse a Holy Pontiff and these Arbites of involvement in this is very serious. Do you believe the Arbites, or the Enforcers? Know that if you do believe the Arbites to be wrong there is nothing I can do. The matter would be up to you entirely."

Sarthol continued, "The Arbites have the authority to arrest and prosecute me. Even execute me. Because you are not a citizen of the Imperium you are beyond their reach, lawfully anyway. For me to moce against the Arbites, without compelling evidence, is treason and would result in the cleansing of this world and the deaths of millions. Bring me proof and I can mobilize Enforcers abd PDF armies."

"I will try to find evidence that will either absolve or condemn the pontiff; if the Arbites will still work against me, even when presented with this evidence, I will know that they are his accomplices."

New objective:

- Find evidence against the Pontiff.

"Here is something that may help you," Sarthol says quietly. "We must be careful with this."

He slowly produces a parchment. It has on it a crude hand drawn map of the city. "There is an old catacomb, used once for burials millenia ago. It provides access to the Ecclesiarchal citadel. It should be large enough to accomodate your size and will allow you access unobserved, and hopefully unimpeded." Sarthol hands you the map.

Tarlocke accepted the map, and took a good, long look at it. He found the entrance to the ancient catacomb, and traced the tunnels to the citadel. "Thank you, Governor," said the Astartes. He looked up from the map, to the governor. "I will not let this map fall into unfriendly hands."

OOC- sorry iv'e been quiet for a bit. Had a bad cold and couldnt think.

IC-

"Good luck, Lord Tarlocke. Cariss will be ever in your debt. May the Emperor of us all be with you.

"And Lord Tarlocke, for both our sakes this meeting never happened. If the Arbited are corrupt and they catch wind of this, it will be both our heads and a planet-wide purge." With that, the clandestine meeting ended.

"Of course, Governor," said Tarlocke. "The Emperor protects."

With these words of farewell, Tarlocke left the building and set a course for the nearest entrance to the catacombs.

OOC- Nice roll

IC- You find the entrance to the catacombs easily. The map is very accurate.

The entrance itself is little more than an overgrown cave. The ground and brush around has been dusturbed recently. A quick check and your talents reveal four sets of footprints that have made multiple visits. The prints are deep, and large. Far larger than would be expected from normal humans. But smaller than a Space Marines prints.

These are the prints of humans with superior armour. It doesnt take a master Adept to determine that these are Arbite prints.

The question is, are they investigating, or reporting for duty?

Whatever the answer, Tarlocke hoped to discover it within the catacombs.

Tarlocke proceeded into the dungeon dark. Conscious of his massive frame, he attempted to enter silently, and hopefully not betray his position before he was forced to do so.

[dice]1575[/dice] 
OOC - Tarlocke wakes the Emperor on Terra.

Your thunderous tread reverberates through the rough hewn corridors, boldly announcing your presence and identity to whomever is inside, for no human could be so astoundingly load.

The passage slopes downward gently, and is quickly lost in blackness (OOC- your helmet is still off, and without it you dont have darkvision). If there is anyone or anything in there they are invisible to you.

Tarlocke resolved to put on his helmet before moving onwards. No sense in going in blind. He paused to put it on properly.

OOC-I may not have mentioned this, but the map is a copy. You do not need to return it, only keep it out of the wrong hands.

At this point you may roll tactics: recon and stealth to select the best way to recover from your non-stealthy entrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back