• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice It Is the Tide, Act 1

[QUOTE="Random Word]7d10. Everything is always 7d10. Except when it's not, and that's sometimes.

[/QUOTE]
Excellent, thanks.

All right. I can see a 30 given he is, in fact, already penalized on his better defense. It would be really stupid to leave the safety of the mob. So since I'm already committed to this Wave, and I don't want to try to figure out how to manage simultaneous declarations on a forum, it looks as though you just cut his roll below the minimum to navigate the tornado. I'll have him forced to land shortly.

Heinz, RW, you may want to consider another use of those resources.

Wow, razor. The worst possible roll of seven dice is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6, and you got 0 1 2 3 4 7 8. Wow.

No idea. I'm probably going last, except I don't need to Cover Ground at 60 anymore, so could take a higher initiative?

All right. @hellrazoromega, if you're going to participate this round, I will just need a statement from you on where River is. I can make something happen there, but you'll have to decide where she has been watching from. Up on the hill, near the construction site for the new village? Outside the gate? Unnoticed among the terraces?

Wherever you choose, you act on initiative 23. Your best set of dice on that roll was one 8, for 18, and your kung-fu style has a Speed stat of +5.

She would be among the terraces, holding action for now as she is still a little unsure of who all is little drama. She may know one or two the caravan but I don't think she'd know the rest, no sense in making new enemies just yet. Also to be clear publicly she try not to be the aggressor if she sees any bystanders about to get clobbered and she can intervene she will.

That's touching. But this is wuxia! You are Exalted! The world conspires to provide you with the struggle that empowers you!

Also, that sounds as though River has been here for at least a few days. Yes?

Of course, wuxia is filled with reluctant heroes dragged into the light before they shine.

Yes at least a few days.

I, for one, have no idea where our zombie overlord is or what he's doing. Is he right in front of me? Is he 30m in the air? Is he somewhere in between? This mystery prevents me from determining how to follow him to the place I do not know he is. Or isn't.

Well, I could go at 19 and Focus on Breath if Conqua is still in range of me. Do I need to Cover Ground to reach him?

Yeah. His Cover Ground wave was made retroactively inadequate, before it could complete. So he didn't move. He's still in the zone you knocked him into, below you. Crane works unarmed though, right? You can fight unarmed for the round, chosen at the beginning of the round, and FoB with a single die. In the future, that'll mean before you make your initiative roll, probably just roll into the post where you decide, but no big deal right now. To be honest, you wouldn't get your dueling bonus down in that melee, so it's probably your best tactical option, unless you really want to break up his soak roll. Anyway, the point is, you can cover ground with the set and still focus on breath. It's, like, 10 difficulty to hop down there.

Then Sun at 19, as I understand that. Heinz, you're up!

Hey, razor. One of the unusual things about Legend of the Wulin is that you can roll first to see how the fight is going for you, then describe what that means. No harm done, here: you're away from the main action a bit, and nothing is likely to alter events for you. But for your own tactical advantage, in the future, you might want to keep that in mind.

Now, since Heinz got that wave off...

[dice]8302[/dice]

39 and 44 against the one-elephant stampede means the mob is up to 4 Ripples, and so is Conqua.

29 to dodge the whipping means... Complete success, at least for that. @Grey, you may want to roll and begin The Pondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right. That's your attack roll, then, and we'll use that and the description you already put up to assemble an action.

Tutorial time! I'll be using the first couple of points to get warmed up, so if it's something you already know, please forgive.

You rolled, sorted, 0 1 1 3 5 6 6. The way LotW counts dice, that's 10, 21, 13, 15, and 26. So, since you have a spare pair of dice, you can take more than one action this round. Technically, you could manage three actions, but let's start slow. You might even want to do only one, for reasons way below. Back to two actions.

Marvels

For instance, use the 26 (+ your style's Strike rating) to attack, and use the 21 (+ some appropriate skill) to knock them back down the hill, into the melee below. This is close to what Random Word did; they would have to fend off both your attack, to avoid damage, and your knockback, to avoid being forced into a different zone of the battle. They'd have to do that with one roll, since you made both attacks with one roll.

Alternatively, you could make them worse fighters somehow. Since you've stated you're focusing on rendering them less a threat, maybe try to reduce their Strike or Damage with a disrupt. Grey just pulled one of those off, last turn, and now the main villain in this fight is having serious trouble escaping. If you want to do something like this, think narratively. Ignore the system for a second. If you were a highly skilled traditional healer, on a muddy, ash-covered farming terrace, armed with only a sword and your kung-fu, surrounded by zombies who are skewered every which way by wooden traps, one of whom has an unspecified length of intestine hanging down, what could you do? Take over the narrative camera for a second, and run wild with that scenario; it certainly provides enough details to build a fight sequence out of. And then we can figure out which skill best represents what you're envisioning, and use that in the mechanics. You have high Finesse, which is really easy to justify using for combat stunts. That'll help. If you find a way to make your medical skill the most relevant, you might even swing a +15 with one of your specialties, so whatever secondary action you settle on.

Attacking

But generally, the results of your turn will be some combination of attacking and Cool Combat Stunts, some of which provide mechanical bonuses. More stunts provide bonuses the more you invest in fitting them to the context, generally. Subtle Force means you don't get easy Laughs and Fears, but maybe if you take advantage of some salient feature of your opponent, your character, or your surroundings. Swords shine in single dueling combat, so you don't benefit from your weapon right now, but you are getting +10 Strike because Subtle Force is quite an accurate attacking style. With your sets, you could get a 31 or 36 strike result. You could also use a single die to get fancy with extra dice, but I don't recommend that just at the moment, not with these results. Maybe if you had an 18 or 19 to throw in.

River

The third thing, last for this post, that you might do with two sets is to use one on the attack and "flow" the other one into your "river". Basically, you set them aside for adding to later rolls where they would help more. You can also spend them like a kind of battle currency to activate the special properties of your weapon, like Extra Effort from M&M. There are other uses, too, but those are the most universal ones. Your River can hold as many dice as your Essence rating, and you can flow in any one or more dice that appeared on your roll as part of a set. Generally, you can only make one cycle in and out of the River per round, and if you hold dice to the next round, you don't get an extra chance to refill after you spend them. There's an opportunity cost feature, here, since extra sets can also be used for all sorts of things on your roll.

That helps thanks, I'll try a post and you tell me if any of it is out of the realm of legality, with as a narrative or system wise.

Sure. But you have to decide what you're trying to accomplish with it, so I can make that ruling. For example, look back at the nonsense Heinz was talking about this elephant, earlier in the OOC thread. It was outlandish, but it was representable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back