How do you run your group RPs?

Daeus

Null
I want to create a group RP but I am slightly unsure how those are actually run. I am a DnD player (though I've never DMed) and would like a d20 system group RP... but I am not sure if I would simply be the DM or a player or what.

If any experienced group RPers could explain a bit on how they run their RPs or players who are very familiar with group RPs could share their experience and advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, here's it's pretty straightforward. You decide what game you want to run - in this case a d20 game - and go to Recruitment. Post a thread pitching the game, maybe asking for a DM if you don't feel up to it. If people respond, you're good to go; whoever is DMing can create a forum and you can get going.

However, if you're not going to DM it's usually easier to look through the Recruitment forum for a game you think looks cool. There are plenty of games like that on-site. Hell, this one isn't d20 but it might be up your alley: http://www.rpnation.com/threads/crucible-dark-age-slayers.60717/

Daeus, while I'm not really active in the RPs on the forum, I have been running/playing TT and LARP games for years. If you are just looking for advice on starting a forum game, Grey has provided good instructions. If you are looking for general information for someone new to the role of DM., the information below can serve as a basic guide independent of which system you decide to use. It is a process that can be long and drawn out if you are tying to plan an epic campaign, but it will work with shorter games as well.

To start DM/GM you must come up with an idea for a story/adventure/game that might be fun. Once I have an idea, I start the process of figuring out if the game is something I really want to run or something to hand off to a friend who might run it better.

The first step is to develop a loose plot that could span at least three sessions. Next, I make sure it is a game that I want to run and not a game I want to play in. This is an important point to make, especially to new DMs. There are a few reasons behind this, but the main one for me is to ensure that I will have as much fun running the game as the players have playing the game. If I find I'd have more fun playing I end up designing the game for the character I would play rather than plotting things out for other people to play. This can cause some problems surrounding a game due to you favoring a character that is in your head that none of the players can even come close to matching. I guess the short version of this point is: Make sure you want to be the DM before you commit.

After I pass that test I go into defining the major plot points (NCP fights and negotiations) I would want to cover and see if I can span it out to between five and seven sessions. Then I pepper in some minor plot points (random encounters and side quests) for times when not all of my players can attend game and/or to provide extra XP to the players. In the end, I'll come up with a game overview for at least ten sessions.

Once the overview is set up, I read through it to make sure I have a good flow of plot and a good pacing for a story. If I feel comfortable with it, I'll start looking to see if anyone is interested in playing. Once I have a few players figured out, I tend to rewrite some portions be geared toward the characters the players initially think about playing.

The last thing I do is see where corners could easily be cut within my overview so I know where the players might get away from my main plot or might even jump over a couple of planned sessions and reach a point they aren't supposed to get to until they've earned more XP. I don't come up with contingency plans for these , I just make sure I know where they exist in my overview. Personally, I enjoy making stuff up as they players do things I hadn't thought of and/or wasn't expecting. However, a new DM might want to make some notes for contingency plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back