• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Fate's Flame

He sat down against the wall at the back of the room and stared into space sadly, rerunning the events of the day through his head and crying himself to sleep silently

~ 9:30 am ~

Marcus had been in the street the whole night looking for Demetrius since he had left late at night. He was fairly tired and could sleep in the border of the street if he didn't have his pride and determination in the game. The bottle of cream medicine in hand, he turned in the street where the tavern was. He wondered what happened with all of his friends, how they left and how they were feeling. He saw the look in Valeria and hope to see her to explain. He was a hundred percent sure that they saw him and Anastasia..after all, they weren't that far in an empty field in the middle of the forest.

Calling the search off for now since his stomach was grumbling, he had no money on him. But as if on cue, he heard gold clatter in his pocket. Wondering what it was, he pulled out the small bag he had given to Anastasia. He snickered finding her rather funny. She always thought he was trying to buy her friendship and love but it was the other way around. He simply wanted to help her and give her something to make life easier. He turned back facing the bakery store smelling the fresh bread and opened the door.

Anastasia woke early and set to work on her chores. She cleaned, and dressed before making her way to the temple. She stayed for an hour before walking slowly towards the market. Her father had given her a small purse of coins to buy food for the week, and she was making a list in her head as she walked to the bakery. Stepping inside she selected a loaf, buying it as Marcus entered. She turned and smiled at him softly, reigning in her feelings. "Hello Marcus," she said quietly.

Valeria awoke the next morning to the sound of the children already awake and most likely running about downstairs, scrounging around for food. She rolled over in her bed and saw that Decimius was still there, slumped over on the floor, clearly asleep.

She looked at herself in a huge shard of glass she kept under her bed. It was the closest thing she had to a real mirror. She saw that she had dark circles underneath her eyes from a hard time sleeping. Her eyes were puffy as well from the tears caused by the images of the incident that popped into her mind throughout the night, keeping her awake some.

Sliding the shard of glass underneath her bed, she got up to get ready for the day, taking fresh clothes with her to her sister's room so she could change with some privacy. She put on a black stola that was longer than what she usually wore, having extra fabric so she could wrap around her head almost like a hijab, but looser. This stola didn't expose her flesh as much as her other clothes did because of the usually warm climate that was Pompeii. She sighed at the color, but it suited what she felt on the inside. She hadn't worn black ever since her mother's funeral, but she shook that thought from her head.

Valeria exited her sister's room and went down to make breakfast for the family. Once that was done, which was quicker than usual since she didn't eat, not having the appetite this morning, she took the bags of meager vegetables to sell to market for her father.

With a kiss on her father's cheek, she left the house, putting her hood on that kept her face in a shadow and from view. "I hope I shall fade into the background effortlessly. I do not wish to see or mingle with anyone this day..." She thought as she made her way down the dirt road with the heavy bags in her arms to the city of Pompeii.

'' Anastasia, How nice meeting you here.'' Marcus said casually almost like if he had no feelings except friendship. In fact, it almost looked like they were only friends. It was always like that when he saw her around the people of his city. Not that he wanted, he had no choice. He didn't really the whole truth about why they couldn't be public. With the political tension and economic tension, he was definitely scared for her. People could threaten her for his money or worst, simply kill her thinking that they are hurting the emperor directly. He ordered a few of their croissant for breakfast and looked back at his secret lover. '' How did you sleep?''

"Well enough, how about you?" she asked softly before dropping her voice. "Did you find what made that noise?" Her hair fell forward, shrouding her face in shadows as she looked down at her hands nervously. She was glad, relieved even, to see that he was ok but she was still curious as to what had cut their evening together short.

Marcus smile slowly faded, his eyes looking to the side whenever he hid something. '' Yes...Nothing to worry much about anymore.'' he said trying to rounding up the situation. It wasn't a lie for now. Demecius was ok but Marcus had no Idea where he was. He finally paid what he chose and exited the store next to her.

Valeria finally made it to the market stalls. She wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead. "Perhaps it was a bad choice to wear such a dark colour with such sun out..." She thought as she looked up at the bright sky, taking the pause to rest her tired legs for a moment. She headed off to one of the stalls to sell her goods for as much profit she could get to buy what she and the family needed at home. She always haggled with the merchants, trying to get as much as she could. It was quite the endeavor, especially with not as high quality produce.

He rolled over in his sleep and suddenly woke up. He looked around him and realised where he was. He sneaked out without the rest of Valeria's family seeing him. I have to find some sort of tablet he thought to himself Maybe I can buy one at the market

Anastasia nodded and exited the bakery with a frown. She knew him well enough to know when he was hiding something, she just couldn't understand why he would. A negative thought occurred to her for a brief second before she dismissed it. Perhaps he was seeing another woman in the forest too and that's what the sound was. She shook her head, knowing she was being silly. He loved her. They loved each other. Placing the bread in her basket, she tried to list the other items she needed in her head. Cheese would be a good option. And they needed some oil. Maybe some pork if she could get her hands on it. She also needed to gather some lavender from the forest, but it wasn't exactly something she could buy from the market.

He started to wander round the market looking for someone who may be selling some sort of writing apparatus. He saw Anastasia from a distance and turned and fled from the scene

Marcus opened the door for her to exit and then followed her closely. He didn't find it in him to simply let her go and he wanted to be with her and spend some time together. He saw a couple walking near them and another one drinking tea not too far from them. It kind of pissed him off that they all seemed to pop out just to nag him. He looked at her hand, he wanted to hold it like those people. He hated how his father cornered him into making a secretive love life. The one time he tried throwing a hint that he was in love with a citizen of the city, his father looked at him and completely dismissed it. ''You shall marry royal blood that is all. There will me no..poor pitiful girl in my castle. I better not find you this girl, Act like an Emperor and stop mixing yourself with them.''

Marcus looked away not wanting to remember these words. There was always this bubbling rage forming in his guts. Lowering his eyelids, he slowly turned his head to look at Anastasia, '' Do you..have anything to buy more? Maybe we could go buy them together or maybe you don't want me to be with you...maybe it's a bad Idea..'' he finally said pulling up his hoodie when they passed near guards.

"I'd like that," she said softly with a soft smile. "Buying things together that is. I have to get some cheese, oil and I need to stop by the meat stall in the market." She looked down at her basket and pulled it close to her, as they passed the guards.

He watched them sadly from behind a corner, tears returning to his eyes. He turned away to find the tablet so he could communicate with his friends easily

Marcus didn't expect that respond and he subconsciously grinned widely showing all of his flawless teeth. He dreamily walked next to her almost dreaming that he was holding hands and that life was just according to him. Dreaming of how he could love this girl in front of him without risking his position as heir and his life literally. He started walking closer to her, almost feeling his little finger brush hers. "I would like that too." He simply said his cheek having a small pink tint to it and his voice soft and quite childlike.

She smiled softly, turning to face the street in front of her. She could practically feel the energy vibrating between them as he walked close by and she could just imagine holding his hand like the other women did but she knew it wasn't possible for them. She spotted Demicius out of the corner of her eye and smiled at him, waving softly. "I think I just saw Demicius," she told Marcus, turning towards a cheese vender and buying a small block. She paid the man quickly and placed the food in her basket.

Valeria didn't get as much as she hoped from the merchants, but she wasn't going to keep the half rotten produce and not get anything from it. She bitterly took the small pouch of currency from the merchant and curtly bid him a goodbye as she moved down the stalls. It was getting a bit hot so she took off her hood as she browsed the market.

"The people are starting to think I am some sort of assassin with trying to hide my face and all..."
She mused and shook her head from the story ideas that are submerging in her mind with a small sigh. She walked over to the stall that were selling some herbs.

"... I wonder if there is any herb proper here that can make some sort of concoction out of. A potion of some sorts..." She thought as she gazed at the different, yet small selection. "... I heard there was a sorceress living around the outskirts of Pompeii. I should pay her a visit and perhaps she can be of help..." She then berated herself mentally, telling herself that sorceresses did not exist and the reason for going there was absolutely wicked and cruel. How could such thoughts even come about in her head?

She ended up buying some herbs and some fruit. With bags in arm, she looked up and saw some familiar faces. Her eyes narrowed a bit and she quickly turned on her heel, disappearing into the crowd and started to head home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcus immediately looked at Anastasia with panicked yet hopeful eyes, '' Where did you see him? How did he look?'' he asked rapidly starting to look at the surroundings. He had to give this the medicine to Demecius or he will have an infection, if it was not already to late. Clenching his hand around the small container with cream, he waited for her answer.

She pointed towards Demicius, who was buying a tablet from a vender. "He's over there," she said softly. "But he didn't look happy to see us.... maybe he's in a bad mood."

Marcus didn't hesitate to go see him. His eyebrows frowning, he walked towards him. He turned Demecius around looking straight at his eyes, '' Why did you leave? Do you know what you brought upon yourself you idiot!'' he said hushing but he could feel the irritation and anger with every weighted words.

He shrugged and started to write something down so he could talk to his friend

It hurt me more to stay there.

He showed Marcus and looked at him sadly

''Do you know how panic Samuel was.. and why are you even sad? '' Marcus said not caring for his feelings. Sadness could wait but health wasn't something to be careless about. '' How did you even managed to walk for so long and stay here?! Go apply this before you get infected if it's not already done!'' he said shoving the container in his hands. He didn't know why he was so sad but he had his assumptions.

He pushed it away and started scribbling again

I don't want your help. Nor do. I need it.

His face had gone from sad to stubborn

Marcus eyes twitched and he stole the tablet from Demecius,

TAKE IT OR YOU DIE!

Showeing it with stern eyes, he was the most stubborn person ever. He hated how he was making it difficult for him. He then pulled it back and scribbled more words.

Please..I don't want to lose a friend. Listen to me and after we can talk or write.

Anastasia hurried to collect the rest of her items before finding herself beside Decimius. "Hello Decimius," she said sweetly, smiling at him hoping to cheer him up as she placed a hand on his arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back