Your Roleplaying Fears

I'm generally afraid of joining RPs that have more than 7-10 people in them because I know like no matter what, I'm going to get left behind. Like I like to take things slow and actually think up and plan out my post which can sometimes take up to a day to acomplish. I hate ggoing out for like a couple hours and coming back to see that the RP has progressed an entire page or two and I'm just there not knowing what to do anymore. Even when I am able to post and stuff, I feel like I have to just throw out garbage post after garbage post like every 10 minutes just to keep up.

I'm generally afraid of joining RPs that have more than 7-10 people in them because I know like no matter what, I'm going to get left behind. Like I like to take things slow and actually think up and plan out my post which can sometimes take up to a day to acomplish. I hate ggoing out for like a couple hours and coming back to see that the RP has progressed an entire page or two and I'm just there not knowing what to do anymore. Even when I am able to post and stuff, I feel like I have to just throw out garbage post after garbage post like every 10 minutes just to keep up.

This is pretty much why I don't do groups anymore. Even the ones where the people seem nice I always feel like I'm holding people up because I can only really post like three days in a week consistently.

My biggest fear with RP comes when I'm proposing ideas or plot points. I always worry 500% that my partner will think it's stupid and I'm stupid. Especially if I actually like them.

Wow, it seems this topic as escaleted in "groups roleplay are scary"  :D

As a gm, my worst fear is when I need to break the roleplay in order to bring back a good quality. I really hate having to say "Listen you not doing as you should and I need to ask you to get back into the right way or GTFO for the sake of the others."

As a player, my worst fear is to have my character hijacked or controled. When someone start to dictate my actions or do something to me without me having anything to say. 

Wow, it seems this topic as escaleted in "groups roleplay are scary"  :D

As a gm, my worst fear is when I need to break the roleplay in order to bring back a good quality. I really hate having to say "Listen you not doing as you should and I need to ask you to get back into the right way or GTFO for the sake of the others."

As a player, my worst fear is to have my character hijacked or controled. When someone start to dictate my actions or do something to me without me having anything to say. 

See I have zero problems with either. Because my thought is for the first one

a. Either the person doesn't realize they're doing something wrong and thus telling them is actually helping them in the long term as it's showing them where they need to improve.

b. Or they're dicks who I won't ever want to roleplay with anyway cuz they're the kind of people to make a roleplay all about them and have a million and one issues. In which case kicking them out is better for my blood pressure and enjoyment of the experience.

c. If people control my character I ask them one time to change their post. If they don't I leave.

basically in all the scenarios you have to ask yourself why am I roleplaying? To have fun/make friends/tell a story/etc.

well with these people am I having fun, etc? Or am I stressed out, unhappy, bored, frustrated?

if they are ruining the experience speak up or leave.

there are thousands of users on this site. You will find someone better 

My current situation: Feeling like GM'ing a big singular group of rp'ers is too tough for me. I'm putting off a reply because of laziness...

Last edited by a moderator:
My current situation: Feeling like GM'ing a big singular group of rp'ers is too tough for me.

I here you what I did for this was two-fold.

I limited the amount of players who could join the roleplay to a manageable number ( 8 or less )

And I looked for a responsible person I could trust to help GM the roleplay with me.

someone else mentioned this, but one of my fears is not getting a reaction i'm expecting out of someone. it's irrational, but it usually either feels like it's because i've somehow fallen short for them, or i've severely misinterpreted what it was they were trying to get out of the scene.

on top of everything else, though, my biggest fear always concerns my post quality. i constantly worry that my posts don't read well, or that they're too corny, or that they're too repetitive, etc. it makes me afraid to read over what i've written, but then it ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy, where my posts turn out poorly because i'm too afraid to read over them. i'm only able to get by and post by reminding myself that i do this to have fun, and not to impress people.

someone else mentioned this, but one of my fears is not getting a reaction i'm expecting out of someone. it's irrational, but it usually either feels like it's because i've somehow fallen short for them, or i've severely misinterpreted what it was they were trying to get out of the scene.

on top of everything else, though, my biggest fear always concerns my post quality. i constantly worry that my posts don't read well, or that they're too corny, or that they're too repetitive, etc. it makes me afraid to read over what i've written, but then it ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy, where my posts turn out poorly because i'm too afraid to read over them. i'm only able to get by and post by reminding myself that i do this to have fun, and not to impress people.

There are generators you can use that will catch like repetitive words or what not. Grammerly is a good one although it's not free. And there are add ons to the google doc system as well. 

My biggest fear? In 1x1s, getting harassed by my partners for being slow. I haven't had it happen really here, but on other sites, it's constant. I have a bit of a fear of confrontation, so it doesn't help when I loose interest.

My biggest fear? In 1x1s, getting harassed by my partners for being slow. I haven't had it happen really here, but on other sites, it's constant. I have a bit of a fear of confrontation, so it doesn't help when I loose interest.

I've been having this happen lately since I got sick and it's honestly so discouraging.

All I can say is try to remember that if someone gets unreasonably angry with you, it's more likely their problem than yours.

@The Hollow Poet @BroscaHasScars I understand being slow, but i hate it when people take an hour or two just to reply... A literal hour, and they didnt have something to do during then

Well a lot of times they might be out doing stuff IRL. I mean I had that happen someone jumped down my throat because I wasn't responding fast enough to suit them when I had gone away from the computer to eat dinner.

For me I'm like if your expect me to be surgically attached to my keyboard there's gonna be a problem. I can see enjoying a fast response but people still need to do pesky things like sleep or eat. 

If it bothers you a lot I'd say just ask them to inform you when they have to go away from the keyboard for whatever reason OR just ask them - hey where did you go?

no problem. i can get like that too. granted it's usually if it's like two weeks or something or if you've been replying every day and suddenly four go by with nothing. 

but every time i get annoyed i remember that time i made an ass out of myself by being bitchy that this girl in a group left without warning only come to find out she was in a car accident and in the emergency room.

talk about  :/

so now i just ask people out right to tell me if they're gonna be leaving or if they show up after a random disappearance or they don't respond for a bit my first instinct is to message them - like yo you okay? you need some time? 

cuz it sucks when they actually are sick and there you were being an asshole about it.

but every time i get annoyed i remember that time i made an ass out of myself by being bitchy that this girl in a group left without warning only come to find out she was in a car accident and in the emergency room.

Holy crap that made my heart skip a beat.

I wouldnt even want to be in a community if something that bad happened to someone i was mad at

Holy crap that made my heart skip a beat.

I wouldnt even want to be in a community if something that bad happened to someone i was mad at

i was more annoyed than mad, i'm pretty lenient about people leaving tbh. it was probably just mild annoyance at having the flow jammed up for a bit when her character stopped responding.

still even so i felt like a right bitch when she messaged us all about her accident. and she was so sweet about it too, like kept saying sorry and how she would try to get caught up.

and we're all like  No no no you just get better it's fine. 

INADEQUACY. I always, always, with whatever I do, fear that my writing is subpar. I recognize that this is often irrational (because I know that I'm not actually a bad writer), but I'm incredibly harsh on myself and my writing, so it's impossible to avoid lol. I want to write something that is good and has substance, and I just hold very high standards for myself. 

@thelittlebay I dont get why people are all fearful with Spelling, Grammar, etc. Probably because im not a writer nurd. I only hate it when people cant spell Medium sized words like Beastiality or Unstoppable AT ALL. I get if you screw up on some words, but come on you should be able to spell SOME decent words. And to me, i judge the RPer based on the Character. (not all the time)

spare me plz bb

@thelittlebay I dont get why people are all fearful with Spelling, Grammar, etc. Probably because im not a writer nurd. I only hate it when people cant spell Medium sized words like Beastiality or Unstoppable AT ALL. I get if you screw up on some words, but come on you should be able to spell SOME decent words. And to me, i judge the RPer based on the Character. (not all the time)

spare me plz bb

I'm not fearful about spelling or grammar, I'm more fearful about the quality of my writing. Spelling and grammar are really nonissue to me, because I have good enough grammar, and for the words I don't know how to spell, I just look them up. This mainly applies to RPs with strong and dynamic plots, because I honestly tend to slack off when the plots are just kind of basic...  but I want my writing to have depth to it, and not just be pretty prose. And I want my RP partners to actually enjoy what I write. So yeah, it's the content of my writing that I'm concerned about (I have crippling fears of inadequacy!!! haha fun). 

It really bugs me when people have poor grammar and can't spell though lol. 

@thelittlebay Oh now i get what you mean... Yea, i actually enjoy even the most cringiest of rps, probably because im extremely open minded to new things

You'd probably hate me, because i do have trouble spelling a small amount of medium sized words and most large words...

Like Supercalafragalisticexpialodoushus (god help me)

Lol, i rclicked it and this mac has the word

Users who are viewing this thread

Back