• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

World building system based on the format from "The Cube"

infinitetech

Mad Scientist,or Loose Cannon Inventor,you decide!
I have been considering making a system for creating worlds either entirely randomly generated or any degree down to fully custom placed based on the old movie "The Cube".

Features:

1. Effectively each room is a self contained encounter, zone, or whatever you wish it to be.
  2. No one (aside from maybe the Big Bad) knows the entire layout of the world.
  3. Each new door has the potential to open onto a horrific trap, a neutral zone, a blocked route, or even a very rare boon.
  4. Most traps have a way to survive them if you are careful.
  5. Supplies are rather limited compared to most world types.
  6. Players have at least one clear goal; try to escape if possible.
  7. Near infinite replay-ability with little set up required.
  8. Easy complexity adjustment based on the size of the room.
  9. Easy difficulty adjustment by adding or removing certain tables.
  10. By switching out tables you can have realistic (any era kinda), scifi, fantasy, or scify based stories.
  11. By adding in teleportation or similar rooms you can use this to create a travel network for other worlds via exits.
  12. Can be used to transfer players/characters into/out of worlds in the story's lore.
  13. Allows for any kind of player to have any kind of adventure just by adding in a few rooms.
  14. The module rooms could easily be taken into other world types for dungeons or towns.
  15. To let the different player experience levels play together changing how they see/use maps can be a simple fix, a new player could be allowed access to public maps and the player maps all the time, a slightly more experienced player could have to record their own maps or copy maps when they are with another player, a true veteran player could have to have the right materials with them to make a new map page/ink/the knowledge to know how to clearly mark paths and objects. if used right this lets new players not feel too badly lost or trapped while older players can gain in-game trade value by selling well mapped rooms, potentially even allowing new generations of players to have better and better chances to escape by slowly revealing the map
  16. Due to 3 dimensional traveling a DM can fit more into a smaller area or make paths take far longer to traverse.
  17. The recommended rate of travel and such would be to allow players one room of movement a day (or for less active chats a week) which lets the DM and the players have decent chance to do what they wish to do without having to worry about being swept away in the middle of something, however this could be altered by letting them have a set number of "move tokens" which they can try to stockpile should they wish, and should you as DM say so, so that they could try to move much further ahead at once while they work in a particularly safe zone.
  18. In order to keep things lively you can occasionally spring rare traps in a safe room to move people out from time to time or set up times when rooms switch around on the players, also of course making maps somewhat of a task for the players to try to maintain.
  19. Very easy to keep track of who knows what or whom just by the DM noting who was in which room when.
  20. Economy and trade routes are very easily added as are factions.
  21. Easily managed RP chats since each room is cut off unless you give a player a way to communicate at a distance.
  22. Can easily be made into either a full voice RP or a full dice RP or anything else.
So my basic question would be this, would y'all like me to try and get this project finished so i can at least run a rough draft of it, or do you guys think there is a big issue with this?

I do know that meta-gaming could be an issue with maps and such, however aside from that or players not liking being killed because they chose poorly, in general this seemed to be a decent idea.

Looking forward to input and/or feedback, i hope you like this idea and im not completely off base.

Cube Sizes (X*Y*Z)

Quick play;
10 closet
25 bedroom
50 lounge

Normal dungeon room, d&d dungeon crawl feel and pace;
100 great hall
250 yard
500 shack

Feels similar to a town, each room will have enough to fully entertain you for a day’s RP if not a few RPs
1,000 house
2,500 factory
5,000 mansion

Similar to the standard open world rpg, each “room” being like a full map area/point of interest, good for simple economy, can have simple factions pretty easily
10,000 town
25,000 city
50,000 capital

Similar to a one continent story, good for slow play and wars/intrigue/factions
100,000 metropolis
250,000 county
500,000 state

About like a standard world, each “room” taking on a full nation’s story range
1,000,000 country
2,500,000 small continent
5,000,000 medium continent

Very slow, marathon style games
10,000,000 large continent
25,000,000 temperate/cardinal zone
50,000,000 hemisphere

Use only for multi-verse type game play with very long lasting story
100,000,000 small world
250,000,000 medium world
500,000,000 large world

Please don’t, most players would never even leave the first cube
1,000,000,000+ Insane world

What i would suggest for any size "cube" is to make the spawn room as coordinate 0,0,0 even if you want them to be close to a side, edge, or corner this at least helps you to keep your paths, numbers, and so forth in check, it lets you easily make a path back to start if you wish to, it keeps numbers somewhat low, and other building ideas such as making difficulty spike areas (aka anything past any point with a 10 in it now has one re-roll if the result is not a trap... or whatever you choose to do

Cube spawn lists

Step 1 room type [Numbers are a WIP]
1: auto death
2-5: continuous super challenge
6-10: continuous damage
11-20: challenge
21-30: reaction challenge
31-40: easy challenge
41-60: npc
61-70: entrance
71-80: safe room
81-90: temporary boon
91-95: useable boon
96-99: permanent boon
100: exit

Step 2 locked door condition [Numbers are a WIP]
1-10: entombed
11-30: lockdown
31-50: locked
51-70: timed
71-90: unlocked
91-100: one way view

Step 3 size variant [see other post]
(choose a size group)

Step 4 room sub type selection [WIP]
(for each type there will be a corresponding subtype list in the cube size chosen)

Step 5 room layouts [WIP]
(each subtype then has a list of rolls to determine how the items, traps, people, surfaces, and so forth are laid out)

When a player goes to move it is advised to use a standard D6 to represent the direction they will be traveling, either that or make a custom D6 with north, south, east, west, up, and down on it, but be warned, this tends to confuse the players if they don't stay facing the same direction, if using a standard D6 then the 6 is always up and the 5 points in the direction in which they are facing as in most cubes gravity is... odd

I don't have anything to add to this. But this is such a creative and inspired idea I couldn't leave without giving it a bit of praise....th-that was the praise...

thank you, i am still working on this, life has merely been crazy the last few days, i will hopefully have time to complete work on some if not most of the tables within the next couple weeks, i will post them as they become completed, i just hope that my creation will make things easier and happier for people who by chance get to see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back