• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Why the Unorganized Normal RPs?

What do you think of the Normal RP system before Dark Wizard killed BBCode?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silver Wolf

Something Random
I understand that HPs have tools and improve the RP experience, but I also feel like they have a little bit too much exclusive content.

Two updates ago (I think). Before Dark Wizard removed BBCode, you could make forums for RPs, not hosted projects but RPs anyone could make, but once the update came HPs were the only ones where you could store your Characters, RP threads, Rules, Extras, and OOC threads all in one forum as tabs. It was glorious, but now you have to use a weird system of links...it just feels wrong right.

Part of the reasons I think hosted projects were better than these was the fact you could have moderators who had actual forum permissions, people making threads, an entire forum for an RP, and GMs. Something the previous normal RPs couldn't do. If you posted a thread as a tab on a normal RP forum in the past, EVERYONE could see it.

I get that it may have been because of the update it became like that, but after waiting and an entirely new update, nothing changed. These Normal RPs are still unorganized messes in their main forums. Unless you have HPs now, the convenience of having tab threads in normal RPs is a distant memory.

I think you left off an option.... because there is definitely a noticeable difference and I definitely don't find it better LOL.

Also I don't believe Dark Wizard killed BBC Code. As I understand if from reading through stuff it was that BBC Code was not compatible and the previous site system was falling apart ( the original system ) - then the updated system used HTML as that's a newer coding software. BBC Code is obsolete I guess and that's why the updated system didn't have it.

However as the updated version ( the HTML system ) had it's own fare share of flaws they have returned to a newer less bug ridden version of the previous original system. Which as I understand it does indeed offer BBC Code functions.

As to the tabbed systems they were a part of one of the buggy ad ons to the original system and were falling apart in terms of coding ( we the users couldn't see this but the staff had to deal with it ). I believe they are looking into buying/finding a replacement that is less bug ridden.

Also I don't believe Dark Wizard killed BBC Code. As I understand if from reading through stuff it was that BBC Code was not compatible and the previous site system was falling apart ( the original system ) - then the updated system used HTML as that's a newer coding software. BBC Code is obsolete I guess and that's why the updated system didn't have it.

However as the updated version ( the HTML system ) had it's own fare share of flaws they have returned to a newer less bug ridden version of the previous original system. Which as I understand it does indeed offer BBC Code functions.

As to the tabbed systems they were a part of one of the buggy ad ons to the original system and were falling apart in terms of coding ( we the users couldn't see this but the staff had to deal with it ). I believe they are looking into buying/finding a replacement that is less bug ridden.

Well...It's just how I specify the update. During those times Dark Wizard did change his title to BBCode Killer, so I have no other way to go by. I don't think HTML was horrible and I was not severely against the BBCode update. The point of this post is that I miss the tabbed threads to the normal RPs where you didn't have to link character creation and the OOC through nothing or links.

lol still working out things but we'll take a stab at Silver Wolf Silver Wolf ( hope that tags you )

Anyway as I stated the tabbed threads where an ad on that was falling apart. It was not something that the staff created or that was built into the site platform. So while it's not back now I do believe they are working on a replacement. But it has to be found/created and paid for.

So this Sunday we will be switching to the most current version of xF which is xF1 or 1.5.12 if you want to be technical.

Some time this year they will release xF2 (2.0) and I was messing around with an alpha they just released and one of the new systems in xF2 lets us do Roleplay tabs with out having to have third party addons that fall apart which caused the whole move to IPS to begin with.

Here is a screenshot of me messing around and some tweaking with the developer preview of xF2:

chrome_2017-02-22_12-24-33.png

Mind you, please ignore how it looks, it is not styled in anyway and its just an alpha of their future update.

Again this will not be coming with the coming update, since we are updating to the stable release which is xF1.

So tabs are coming back. Just not for a few months.

The first update had to happen because the program they were using was buggy as hell and really unstable. This next update happened because the program they switched to updated like every week which messed up the system.

So tabs are coming back. Just not for a few months.

The first update had to happen because the program they were using was buggy as hell and really unstable. This next update happened because the program they switched to updated like every week which messed up the system.

If I can take your word...a few months...wow. I'm surprised I might not be seeing any tabs until June or later. Well, I'm don talking. Just had to get this thought off my chest, so I'll just lie down on the grass and stare at the sky.

I understand that HPs have tools and improve the RP experience, but I also feel like they have a little bit too much exclusive content.

Two updates ago (I think). Before Dark Wizard removed BBCode, you could make forums for RPs, not hosted projects but RPs anyone could make, but once the update came HPs were the only ones where you could store your Characters, RP threads, Rules, Extras, and OOC threads all in one forum as tabs. It was glorious, but now you have to use a weird system of links...it just feels wrong right.

Part of the reasons I think hosted projects were better than these was the fact you could have moderators who had actual forum permissions, people making threads, an entire forum for an RP, and GMs. Something the previous normal RPs couldn't do. If you posted a thread as a tab on a normal RP forum in the past, EVERYONE could see it.

I get that it may have been because of the update it became like that, but after waiting and an entirely new update, nothing changed. These Normal RPs are still unorganized messes in their main forums. Unless you have HPs now, the convenience of having tab threads in normal RPs is a distant memory.
Updating to IPS was necessary, trust me on this.

Going back to xF as we are now was also rather necessary.

I loved tabs as much as you did, they were a godsend. But the add-on was much too outdated and broken to be salvageable which is why we are without them for now. But as a few people have said, once 2.0 releases sometime in the future (TOA unknown) we will have that functionality back.

You don't have to make a hosted project, and quite frankly I don't unless my RP is particularly lore heavy and needs the organization. It might not look pretty, but arranging the links to your various threads at the top of a post works just like tabs did. Linking you to another thread.

Just hold out for a bit longer seeing as there isn't anything we can do about it now. :csmile:

Updating to IPS was necessary, trust me on this.

Going back to xF as we are now was also rather necessary.

I loved tabs as much as you did, they were a godsend. But the add-on was much too outdated and broken to be salvageable which is why we are without them for now. But as a few people have said, once 2.0 releases sometime in the future (TOA unknown) we will have that functionality back.

You don't have to make a hosted project, and quite frankly I don't unless my RP is particularly lore heavy and needs the organization. It might not look pretty, but arranging the links to your various threads at the top of a post works just like tabs did. Linking you to another thread.

Just hold out for a bit longer seeing as there isn't anything we can do about it now. :csmile:

Well, I trust your words. Just had to get it off my chest to the community. After all, I don't know a lick about how websites work aside from designing a weebly and a Google Sites site for a few one time class projects in 8th and 9th grade. Keep up the good work! (Passes out on keyboard). Good night...

Also as a side note, wiz's "BBcode killer" title was a joke. :b

Like stone said, any updates/changes to the site since the initial move from xF -> IPS and everything it had entailed have been made out of necessity, including "getting rid" of bbcode (which was more of a side-effect of moving to IPS than anything.)

Also as a side note, wiz's "BBcode killer" title was a joke. :b

Like stone said, any updates/changes to the site since the initial move from xF -> IPS and everything it had entailed have been made out of necessity, including "getting rid" of bbcode (which was more of a side-effect of moving to IPS than anything.)

XD I know it was. I just used it as time reference and to continue the joke. ;)

Example Threadmark
As others have said, tabs were a breaking addon, one of many that led to the migration last August. Because of all the issues we were having with addons back then, we're being extremely leery regarding which and how many we use now.

One thing I feel I have to bring up every time people ask about "the way it used to be" is that all of the tabbed threads are currently in exactly the same place they were then. The only difference is that you don't have handy-dandy links in tab form at the top.

That's why we suggested putting links in your posts in the first place. That will work even better now, because you can make a Threadmark on a particular post to add a link to it at the top of the page. I've added one to this post so you can see how it works. With a Threadmark, you can make a post with the other threads' links in it, and then link it at the top for easy reference. Do that for all of your RP threads, and you can hop back and forth almost as easily as with the pre-IPS tabs.

As others have said, tabs were a breaking addon, one of many that led to the migration last August. Because of all the issues we were having with addons back then, we're being extremely leery regarding which and how many we use now.

One thing I feel I have to bring up every time people ask about "the way it used to be" is that all of the tabbed threads are currently in exactly the same place they were then. The only difference is that you don't have handy-dandy links in tab form at the top.

That's why we suggested putting links in your posts in the first place. That will work even better now, because you can make a Threadmark on a particular post to add a link to it at the top of the page. I've added one to this post so you can see how it works. With a Threadmark, you can make a post with the other threads' links in it, and then link it at the top for easy reference. Do that for all of your RP threads, and you can hop back and forth almost as easily as with the pre-IPS tabs.
Quick question, can you only have one Threadmark at a time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back