• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Why did the shoutbox get replaced?

HK Fifty

Jedi Historian
Title is very self-explanatory but I wanted to add this : I really don't want to download some app to be able to have something to do when I'm waiting for my RP partners to reply. And the shoutbox was great when I left RPN a while ago , so what caused it to have to go? Just inquiring , not sure if this has already been answered/Asked.

Actually, the app is no longer with us. There is no live chat option available to the entire site at this time. The staff have gone through a variety of different options, but none have really managed to fit the needs of the site. Whether or not a live chat option will be coming in the future, I don't know.

That said, the staff have been really great about adding all sorts of new discussion forums (like the current events and forum games sections) to expand general chat/discussion options on the forum itself. (: Give them a go!

Mordecai said:
Actually, the app is no longer with us. There is no live chat option available to the entire site at this time. The staff have gone through a variety of different options, but none have really managed to fit the needs of the site. Whether or not a live chat option will be coming in the future, I don't know.
That said, the staff have been really great about adding all sorts of new discussion forums (like the current events and forum games sections) to expand general chat/discussion options on the forum itself. (: Give them a go!
Thank you for answering my questions with the amount of speed you did. Really means a lot to know we have mods an admins willing to answer questions posed as soon as they get posed.

Maybe one day we'll get another one. I personally don't see why the shoutbox would not be a good option , but I'm also not a mod/admin either.

I'll try them , but very few are about anything I want to talk about , and the shoutbox gave me the freedom to just bring up whatever I wanted without making a whole thread for it. I suppose I should make my own threads but I don't know if they'll get anyone to come on to them to talk. Too bad the current events seem rather truncated though ; three of those four are about things in far away countries I know very , very little about.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="HK 50 09]Maybe one day we'll get another one. I personally don't see why the shoutbox would not be a good option , but I'm also not a mod/admin either.

[/QUOTE]
From what I recall and some of the earlier posts on the subject, the shoutbox of olde (heh) wasn't ever really meant to hold the volume of users that used it on such a large site. It was a resource hog, it was laggy as heck, and overall just wasn't meant to be used as a constant 24/7 live chat.

Take that with a grain of salt as I may be misremembering, but I think those were just a few of the issues that plagued the old box - hence the ongoing trials to find replacements that are viable.

From personal experience - finding something suitable for a site with such a large userbase is maddening. And development of custom applications that work in the realm of XenForo isn't cheap either.

[QUOTE="Mr. Grin]From what I recall and some of the earlier posts on the subject, the shoutbox of olde (heh) wasn't ever really meant to hold the volume of users that used it on such a large site. It was a resource hog, it was laggy as heck, and overall just wasn't meant to be used as a constant 24/7 live chat.
Take that with a grain of salt as I may be misremembering, but I think those were just a few of the issues that plagued the old box - hence the ongoing trials to find replacements that are viable.

From personal experience - finding something suitable for a site with such a large userbase is maddening. And development of custom applications that work in the realm of XenForo isn't cheap either.

[/QUOTE]
This.

Technically the first sb is still my fav feature wise because it's so simple to use but it just can't deal with say a thousand people online.

Everything after that has mostly been flops for one reason or another. It's my eternal quest.

That's good to know , thank you very much for that information @Mr. Grin . I figured it was laggy because even before RPNhad as many users as RPN has now , it got laggy at peak times when there were the most people on.

I'm doubly glad to know @The Dark Wizard is looking for a replacement , and even happier to know that he liked the shoutbox a lot too. Hopefully one day we'll find a worthy successor that can handle as many people as we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back