• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Why BBcode?

AngelEyes

~ peek through my window ~
I realize I'm risking sounding like a complete newb here, but I ran a search for the answer to this question and came up short. Maybe I'm overlooking it (I'm sure there's a guide somewhere that I havent come across yet) but can someone please give me a quick explanation as to why BBC is important here?

I'm new to RPing on a forum so I'm not sue how coding plays into it all. What's the benefit? In what ways is it used? Should I make it a priority to learn basic coding before RPing here? I realize that it's not required for RP (that much I found in my search) but if it's expected more often than not, then I just might try to learn it after all!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BBcode is the way people set up all kinds of formatting effects without using the buttons to do so. At the moment, it's better, because the Rich Text Editor (the default way to post) occasionally breaks things while trying to be helpful.

However, soon there will be a major upgrade to the site, and we will not be using BBcode anymore. All will be done through carefully crafted buttons that will not break anything!

Until then, if you want to see what options there are currently, click here and enjoy :)

Kaerri said:
BBcode is the way people set up all kinds of formatting effects without using the buttons to do so. At the moment, it's better, because the Rich Text Editor (the default way to post) occasionally breaks things while trying to be helpful.
However, soon there will be a major upgrade to the site, and we will not be using BBcode anymore. All will be done through carefully crafted buttons that will not break anything!

Until then, if you want to see what options there are currently, click here and enjoy :)
Thank you so very much for this!!! It makes a lot of sense now. :)

The removal of BBCode is going to be a necessity in future because the updated forums won't support it anymore. BBCode is very old (think around the 90s) and with the next update it will break. Instead, the new site will have buttons - buttons on the Rich Text Editor that do the exact same thing. It's just applied without typing it in (typing code won't work anymore).

You can read about the future site update here.

What Meredith said. Nothing is being lost except the ability to manually code. All the formatting you love will still be there, and will be more accessible to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back